Ranger shatters CoF p1 record (DnT)

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Brought to you not by me, but by the evil geniuses over at DnT. Just…wow: 5:27

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Ranger-VS-The-CoF-World-Record

>:) don’t miss reaction at the end

For those who can’t watch, team comp was 2 theives, ranger, mesmer, warrior.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

(edited by Chopps.5047)

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

Also, just wanted to point out that DnT uses spirits, in particular frost. I’ve been preaching that for months, thank you very much. /bow

Everyone said they needed a video for proof: sorry I let you guys down and never made this one. Thankfully, we have hardcore guilds like DnT who aren’t scared to try and break the meta.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

what was the old record again?

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

what was the old record again?

Lol honestly I don’t know. I made the topic with hyperbole to make it pop out on the page. I was told by someone in LA this morning that 5:27 is impossible…that person also couldn’t believe the team composition. I think many players who speed run with the “trinity” will be shocked to see how balanced the professions are in reality.

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

this doesnt make rangers awesome, it makes frost spirit buffing thieves and warriors decent. kind of the same reason people take mesmers.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

Not that I’m not happy for the recognition.

But if somebody’s honestly judging the state of a class based on speed-clear times they sincerely need to get back in touch with the realities of variance. I thought the Meta was silly before, and I still think it’s pretty darned silly even if it is doublingback and saying something positive about my class for once.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

I think the point, Vox, is to demonstrate balance and learn what each profession brigs to the table and also how to make them work together.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

It’s definitely a great thing to see rangers doing well in a CoF speed run, but as others have said, it’s not necessarily emblematic of how they perform elsewhere, especially when spirits often don’t hold up as well in a lot of other places like they do in CoF. High movement fights and high AoE fights can still take away a lot of the initial advantages of having a spirit around.

in Ranger

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

I like how people literally cannot comprehend simple things like DPS and support without a speed run video.

First I tell you guys exactly how to build a ranger for high DPS and you guys go “NO that is IMPOSSIBLE I do crap dps with my shortbow bear build and I am sure that is more DPS!”

Then Brazil posts a video of him using my build and you go “He’s only hitting for like 4k an attack my warrior hits 20k on an HB hurr”.

Now he posts a video of himself doing the EXACT SAME kitten in CoF and NOW you go “OMG RANGERS BEST DPS LOOK AT THAT CLEAR TIME”.

You guys realize that DPS only affects, like, 30 seconds of the total run time in CoF, right?

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

Guang, I’ve always listened to you. You are a no nonsense kind of guy with facts. I saw that immediately. It’s a shame others didn’t. And you’re right—this both means nothing and everything.

You know as well as I do that professions can perform if we push them and do it right. But others, they need a video that gives them a new sense, a new feeling. They need something to replace the “ew” feeling when a ranger joins their party. Because the ranger hate train has a lot of momentum. It’s so ingrained that many will always hate rangers no matter what.

It’s perception. That’s what matters. And videos like this ultimately change perceptions, whether valid or not, a true DPS test or not, or however you want to interpret it. What’s going to stick in people’s minds is “DnT is running ranger so ranger is cool with me”. And that’s what matters the most to people like me who have been denied dungeon experiences for the love of playing ranger in gw2.

in Ranger

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Something tells me that you wont have as much fun doing this in a pug :P

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

in Ranger

Posted by: Expiatus.4210

Expiatus.4210

It’s perception. That’s what matters. And videos like this ultimately change perceptions, whether valid or not, a true DPS test or not, or however you want to interpret it. What’s going to stick in people’s minds is “DnT is running ranger so ranger is cool with me”. And that’s what matters the most to people like me who have been denied dungeon experiences for the love of playing ranger in gw2.

And unfortunately for many folks perception=reality.

GENERAL SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT——-
If you haven’t been listening to Guang you are missing out. That dude has always been ahead of the power curve when it comes to understanding professions and squeezing the most damage out of them.

Anvil Rock – Out manned, out gunned and no repair costs, so Leeroy up and dive in.
See you in Tyria.

in Ranger

Posted by: Conan.8046

Conan.8046

I find it funny your all in awe when hes spamming 11111111111111111111. If you find that fun….fair enough.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

I find it funny your all in awe when hes spamming 11111111111111111111. If you find that fun….fair enough.

I feel like you’re completely missing the point here.

This is a proof of concept. That Rangers can contribute to overall team dps competitively to other classes. That the actual mechanical action for most of it involves 1111 is irrelevant.

in Ranger

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

If you haven’t been listening to Guang you are missing out. That dude has always been ahead of the power curve when it comes to understanding professions and squeezing the most damage out of them.

From what I have noticed, and no offence to this guy.. It appears he takes a million stabs in the dark and every so often it turns out one of the crazy things he has said turns out to be true and then you give him credit for it. Not that there’s anything wrong with that of course but he sure says alot of whack stuff that not only he cannot prove, but DNT has tested and cannot find viable either.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

in Ranger

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

From what I have noticed, and no offence to this guy.. It appears he takes a million stabs in the dark and every so often it turns out one of the crazy things he has said turns out to be true and then you give him credit for it. Not that there’s anything wrong with that of course but he sure says alot of whack stuff that not only he cannot prove, but DNT has tested and cannot find viable either.

Maybe you’d like to start by pointing out once such time where I have been wrong?

in Ranger

Posted by: hyjaxxx.1584

hyjaxxx.1584

Come on guys…there are only a handful of Rangers that i would consider a Community staple and an expert on the class as a whole. When someone is trying to help the community as a whole lets not use our creative energy to talk poop like an all womens Badminton team. Lets work together as a unit to achieve a common goal.

Btw. Nice video. and from what i saw it looks like you could get even faster by cleaning up a couple of those hiccups. So keep it coming and lets show the GW2 community that we are to be taken seriously regardless of the facet of the game being played.

Jaxx hath Spoken! lol

Whoajaxx the Ranger
Re-Port331,331R,DD331,Re-portV
Currently looking for wvw guild@henge

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Thanks for the link to something like this Chopps. Highly entertaining to watch the video, as well as just read through the thread lol.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

show me that build pls!

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

show me that build pls!

I’m pretty sure he’s doing something like this:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Mighty-Ranger-High-Level-FOTM-7-24-2013/first#post2287031

This only difference, I think, is that Brazil used a cat and “Sick ’Em” for the additional burst. Normally, you wouldn’t take Sick Em in a dungeon, but since they kill stuff so fast as a team, there’s little real danger for the pet. In typical dungeon experiences, I’d choose stone spirit over the shout and instead take a drake.

But, ya, 15 in nature magic is almost mandatory because without boon sharing, the pet won’t see boons as often due to the aoe boon limit of 5 bodies.

Another popular variation of this build is 20/25/0/25/0 with strength of spirit and vigorous spirits in nature magic.

(edited by Chopps.5047)

in Ranger

Posted by: jewishjoyride.4693

jewishjoyride.4693

lol chopps.

Hes using 20/25/0/25/0

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

lol chopps.

Hes using 20/25/0/25/0

can’t you just let him try to take credit for this whole thing?

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I feel like you’re completely missing the point here.

This is a proof of concept. That Rangers can contribute to overall team dps competitively to other classes. That the actual mechanical action for most of it involves 1111 is irrelevant.

I don’t want to bump this thread because it’s propaganda and wants to blindly scream “rangers are awesome look at their big numbers” when the reality of the claims doesn’t match up with the theory but I will respond to this.

This proves that rangers can do good DPS in a dungeon path that has been thoroughly documented as being brain dead easy for optimal builds in speed clear groups.

There are three variables that the build used requires:
1) Ranger stays alive while using main hand sword.
2) Pets stay alive during the fights.
3) Spirits are in range of their party to give the buff and they live long enough to give their buff.

There are two foundations the video demonstrates:
1) The content is so easy that the bosses die in seconds and barely put up a fight.
2) The party composition maximises DPS.
Bonus points if:
3) You have a mesmer with feedback for content that has high damage projectiles.

The issues with main hand sword and pet/spirit survivability are well documented. The issue is nonexistent when the bosses melt in seconds and either don’t have any/many dangerous attacks or they die before they get to use them (when you play cheese content). The first factor is present in this video because it’s CoF, this is not a hard dungeon. The second factor is present because it’s an organised group and everyone is running optimal glass builds which break content by brute forcing DPS to kill mobs, so a ranger in a gear check group doing this easy mode path might work but a ranger in a random pug will likely be forced into greatsword or random other weapon or will take a dirt nap. The level of play shown in this video by the rangers is about the same as someone taking on a random veteran giant in Orr to demonstrate DPS (or even a golem in Heart of the Mists seeing as there is very little active combat going on, just auto-attack spam for more DPS on the ranger’s part).

What is the concept here? That under optimal conditions a sword ranger can maximise DPS? I don’t think I’ve seen people complaining about sword DPS before. The concept they aren’t proving is that the sword (and this build) is viable in content that hits back, that the sword (and this build) is viable in a pug (for CoF, it is). Their “concept” is built on the foundation of one of the easiest combat dungeons in the game and with the support of party that is doing enough DPS to kill things before it gets hard. Take away that foundation, and unlike a lot of builds, this build begins to fall apart.

This video is preaching to the speed clear optimised groups that have so far shown the build beating content that hasn’t required much in the way of a dodge. This propaganda machine is getting old. When people start reading the details, the sensationalised thread titles (like this one) don’t match up with their expectations. These guys are good at what they do, but what they don’t do is play the ranger in pugs. If you want to teach people about how awesome the ranger is in pugs, especially if you want to do it with more challenging content, you need to play in pugs in more challenging content. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but there is a big difference between CoF and high level fractals or many other explorable paths.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

You’re confusing Guang with me, Guang always has super tested builds, I’m a trial by fire sort of guy and just throw builds together and see what happens.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Ursan.7846

What is the concept here?

That a group composition with a Ranger can post very competitive clear times of CoF 1.

The fact that 111111 is “unfun” is irrelevant.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

What is the concept here?

That a group composition with a Ranger can post very competitive clear times of CoF 1.

The fact that 111111 is “unfun” is irrelevant.

The fact of the matter is, you can replace the Ranger with just about anyone else and get the same clear time results. What does that say about Ranger again?

in Ranger

Ursan.7846

The fact of the matter is, you can replace the Ranger with just about anyone else and get the same clear time results. What does that say about Ranger again?

….I’m not sure what you’re trying to argue here.

1. Can you? Can you replace the Ranger and still get the party-wide dmg buff from Frost Spirit/Spotter? I really don’t know.
2. Even if you could, it still doesn’t change the fact that Rangers can contribute a competitive amount of DPS to a group in CoF 1 compared to other classes. So I’m really unsure what kind of point you’re trying to make. Do you mean replacing a ranger and getting better, as opposed to same, clear time results?

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Good video. Important for the community to see.

I just want to give props to ANet as well for not caving into the stupidity of this community, which complains about every single change to everything.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

….I’m not sure what you’re trying to argue here.

1. Can you? Can you replace the Ranger and still get the party-wide dmg buff from Frost Spirit/Spotter? I really don’t know.
2. Even if you could, it still doesn’t change the fact that Rangers can contribute a competitive amount of DPS to a group in CoF 1 compared to other classes. So I’m really unsure what kind of point you’re trying to make. Do you mean replacing a ranger and getting better, as opposed to same, clear time results?

How do we know compared to other class compositions? We have nothing to compare to, the TC even mentioned they have no idea what the previous ‘world record’ is.

I am saying the ranger is the ‘ride along’ here. Try replacing one of those thieves or the mesmer and see what happens. You can replace the ranger and MAYBE see a few seconds drop from the clear time.

So yeah, the video proves nothing. It proves someone knows how to spam ‘1’ and get some decent damage out of helpless targets. What it does not prove is ranger viability, for that we would need actual difficult dungeons showing the ranger bringing something. Not CoF 1.

in Ranger

Ursan.7846

How do we know compared to other class compositions? We have nothing to compare to, the TC even mentioned they have no idea what the previous ‘world record’ is.

I am saying the ranger is the ‘ride along’ here. Try replacing one of those thieves or the mesmer and see what happens. You can replace the ranger and MAYBE see a few seconds drop from the clear time.

There are plenty of CoF1 speedruns which have been captured and recorded.

(5:48)

(5:40)

For example.

And again, even if you replace a ranger and see a few seconds difference, it doesn’t change the conclusion: that rangers contribute competitively to dmg compared to other classes.

Though you seem very interested in this subject. Perhaps you can show us a video in which you replace the Ranger in that team with a necro, guard, or a 2nd mesmer and prove your point (that these classes can replace a ranger and still provide comparable DPS in CoF 1).

(edited by Ursan.7846)

in Ranger

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

The martyr complex on this board is so bad it’s downright ridiculous.

I’m not going to be one of the GIB VIDEO PLZ babies that seem to be everywhere, but seriously, if you think you have a better replacement for the ranger in that party, let’s hear it.

in Ranger

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

Maybe he was ahead of the power curve, you can’t tell really. But it doesn’t take a genious to see that spotter and frost spirit add damage to the team, just sayin’. The reason why less people were running them was that previously both spirits and pets had less health, and were dead on arrival. Its a nice vid, but don’t think it will change things much. If you had some guildies/friends to take you as a ranger, it changes nothing to them. If you run in a pug, this changes nothing there either IMHO.

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

in Ranger

Posted by: Puandro.3245

Puandro.3245

Ranger’s weren’t worth the slot pre-patch. It wasn’t until warrior got a small damage nerf and ranger got their spotters boosted and spirit pet traits lowered and merged. Even then a Ranger is doing what a mesmer has been doing since launch. Doing less damage than everyone else in the group but boosting everyone else damage enough that they are worth a slot but without the utility.

GW2 Videos WvW Ele/Thief/Mesmer/Ranger/Warrior PvP Videos
Jade Quarry – Team Savvy – #1 NA WvW Solo Guild

in Ranger

Posted by: Grayback.7148

Grayback.7148

How about you guys stop posting endless walls of bullkitten-text, screaming “lol, COF p1, everyone can do this without actual eyesight” and just look at his youtube channel, there are actually more vids with ranger involved in other dungeons.