Ranger state...?

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: Littlefeather.8623

Littlefeather.8623

Well, since I have the Kudzu, then it’s still pointless to play. Thanks for the info…

I’ll check back in another 6 months or so.

ahahahahahahaha ……

That was just too perfect.

“Playing a ranger to its strenght”

Which strengths exactly? Which ones which let us stand out from everyone else? I’m curious.

@OP
And don’t listen to Prysin. He can be sooo overly dramatic.

Glass teefs fall down infront of me at 900 range…
LB#4 or Auto Attack, right before they heal/stealth Sic’Em, volley, by this time they’re about 15%-5% HP or down if full glass, if they shadow refuge than barrage. During this you have to keep your pet on him.

Yeah thieves do… But warriors won’t. Well played guardians won’t. Most of the mesmers won’t. Engies most likely won’t. Non-zerker ele won’t. Necros take a kittenin long time to kill. Just because you can beat one single build doesn’t mean it’s good.

Ah, but thats where the 1500 kiting comes into play, even if warrior or guard closes gap I pull out my GS and go to work on them toe to toe, the only damage i would take is aoe. If it’s too much I switch back to LB than kite some more and just keep rotating through. Fights like that are actually fun and you get to learn some new things. I use Sigil of Hydromancy and Energy on my GS, and Fire and Bloodlust on my LB, full zerk stats and traits, anything glass I can kill, I only have hard times with PVT’s.

Crazy Leg

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Littlefeather.8623

And I know how guards, warriors, necros, mesmers, teefs and most engis play, As I have all 80’s of them and Champ titles for Guard and Teef.

Crazy Leg

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Littlefeather.8623

You know the GS gives us basically two interupts? nice crit, nice evade and a gap closer / maker ?

If I have the LB pulled out and I get into trouble before I get them low, I just knock back or stealth and heal up and escape out with GS or get back in the fight.

Crazy Leg

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: xXxOrcaxXx.9328

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

The warrior will most likely use stability while gapclosing, so you’re not able to kick him back. The 3 seconds stealth are only good if you want to run away. You wont be able to reposition yourself. All of the GS skills are highly telegraphed, so an experienced player will simply dodge or run out of your range. As for the damage: Warrior sword/axe/greatsword > ranger greatsword. So I honestly can’t see why a warrior should lose to a power ranger.

Ranger - Guardian - Warrior - Elementalist - Necromancer - Mesmer
EU Elona Reach – Void Sentinels

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: Dead Muppet.9718

Dead Muppet.9718

Speaking on my experience as a zerk longbow ranger… in spvp

Longbow 3 fails way too much. A lot of it due to lag. This needs to be changed to 100% chance to stealth.

This alone has cost me countless deaths where I ‘may’ have come out ontop.

As a defensive ability is is completely unreliable for a spec that really should NOT be backpeddling in order to land the stealth.

Longbow #4 also fails too much for the same reasons & also ‘may’ have changed the fight many times for me.

Pets with zerker spec are near to useless. The ONLY time I feel a pet has helped is when I keep wolf on swap for when a melee closes the gap so I switch for the knockdown followed by fear. Otherwise I have all but given up on pets.

Three Minutes

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

Longbow 3 fails way too much. A lot of it due to lag. This needs to be changed to 100% chance to stealth.

As a defensive ability is is completely unreliable for a spec that really should NOT be backpeddling in order to land the stealth.

Got to agree. I love longbow, use it a lot in spvp. but changed it out due to the complete failure of #3. I’ll try and back peddle JUST to land it, and still won’t. lol.

I see it hit the target, and it did damage. but i’m still “oh kitten”

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

purpose of the 3 second stealth , is to get the person to loose its target giving you a free chance to change target without being chased or perform a skill that needs to hit to influance the fight (hilt bash for example or use it to get someone to miss place there Aoe if they are impatient)
though the hunters shot can be blocked/dodged/kited even reflected so the refector grants himself the Stealth instead.
though yes it does sometime not grant the stealth if too many actions are being performed too and it might skip it while its sending its action to the main server then it only proccesses the damage and hit.

apart from that the skill works as intended though i think its got the same issues as the pet f2 response.
don’t get me wrong some of the pets f2s seem slow because they ether need a target most of the time and the pet has to get in range for it to activate so try not to confuse that with the f2 response.
if you detarget then use the f2 even if the target moves out of range of the pets f2 aoe fear ect it will still activate.
just seems to like to chase its target then activate if you have a target it’ll want to be in range to effect that target so it’ll run till it gets with in 600 yards ect.

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Littlefeather.8623

The warrior will most likely use stability while gapclosing, so you’re not able to kick him back. The 3 seconds stealth are only good if you want to run away. You wont be able to reposition yourself. All of the GS skills are highly telegraphed, so an experienced player will simply dodge or run out of your range. As for the damage: Warrior sword/axe/greatsword > ranger greatsword. So I honestly can’t see why a warrior should lose to a power ranger.

Have you used a GS against a melee? You do know the auto attack evades melee direct hits right?

Crazy Leg

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Littlefeather.8623

Longbow #4 also fails too much for the same reasons & also ‘may’ have changed the fight many times for me.

Pets with zerker spec are near to useless. The ONLY time I feel a pet has helped is when I keep wolf on swap for when a melee closes the gap so I switch for the knockdown followed by fear. Otherwise I have all but given up on pets.

Three Minutes

Which pets do you use? I think using a pet purely for the skill is not maximizing pets. Birds and Cats, you’d be surprised by the DPS.

Crazy Leg

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

Have you used a GS against a melee? You do know the auto attack evades melee direct hits right?

The enemy knows that too lol.

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Littlefeather.8623

The enemy knows that too lol.

Some do, not all, moot point. I don’t always melee with GS, but when I do no matter if glass warrior or glass teef they go down first. I’m glass too, and yes even teefs try to take me on toe to toe like a boo boo head…

Crazy Leg

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: Reganov.3569

Reganov.3569

“Ranger state…we still suck?”

Should be

“Ranger state… Am I playing one properly?”

Sometimes, that is the real question to ask.

Wolfred Darkwater – Fort Aspenwood

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Should be

You are hurting my feeling… although i know you are telling the truth.

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: Thalionsir.5976

Thalionsir.5976

I must be honest, Rangers are completely passable in most PvE situations, in PvP, however, I have discovered that kiting with pet CC and longbow knockback, and stealth utility, including probably “Eagle Eye” for increased range to keep distance. Then use that trait that increases movement speed (which I cannot remember the name of). Along with all this, you can use your talent slots for increased damage, survivability, or increased escape options, with “Sharpening Stone”&“Quickening Zephyr”/“Signet of Toughness”&“Lightning Reflexes”/“Spike Trap”&“Frost Trap” respectively, in that order.

“Signet of the Hunt” is magnificent for kiting in general, I would reccomend it highly. Also I use the shortbow for the cripple and leap back/evade skill, as well as the stun (if you can hit the guy/gal from behind) it is really good for keeping distance. So I keep my range by dodgeing and CC’s and movement skills, as well as the longbow’s stealth skill.

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Thalionsir.5976

I can hold my own against many of the weaker classes, eg: eles & engies.
But, it’s rather vital that I get the drop on most others though, so I reccomend CONSTANT VIGILENCE!! In PvP, at least.

Theives/Warriors/Guardians/Necromancers/Mesmers attack first, all I really do is hit all my distance makers (dodge/shortbow 3/lightning reflexes) then I hit my longbow stealth. It usually works. Then, all I need to do is keep out of range and needle them with my longbow., hitting stealth and running when necessary, guerrilla tactics.

It works ok.

(edited by Thalionsir.5976)

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

Should be

We have just one viable DPS weapon for PvE and that’s the sword. At the same time, the sword is the most difficult weapon to use. Not to mention that the pet can kitten things up badly. So yeah, there is still a lot of room for improvements.

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Dead Muppet.9718

Three Minutes

Which pets do you use? I think using a pet purely for the skill is not maximizing pets. Birds and Cats, you’d be surprised by the DPS.

Birds have less dps than cats due to the cast of swiftness which allows a gap between actual damage abilities. Also with playing longbow zerkittenep maximum range and with pathing and the distance combined pets damage isnt a factor as much as kiting.

Lastly in spvp where players are fighting on a tiny circle spamming aoe the pet dies. I dont understand where maximizing pets comes into play here.

If I were playing a melee build then sure it would…. where I pointed about before I save my wolf for the swap knockdown and fear should I need to melee. Otherwise my 2nd pet is a poor dps addition.

Id settle for 3 on longbow just working

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Littlefeather.8623

Three Minutes

Birds have less dps than cats due to the cast of swiftness which allows a gap between actual damage abilities. Also with playing longbow zerkittenep maximum range and with pathing and the distance combined pets damage isnt a factor as much as kiting.

Lastly in spvp where players are fighting on a tiny circle spamming aoe the pet dies. I dont understand where maximizing pets comes into play here.

If I were playing a melee build then sure it would…. where I pointed about before I save my wolf for the swap knockdown and fear should I need to melee. Otherwise my 2nd pet is a poor dps addition.

Id settle for 3 on longbow just working

I’m not sure how much range is between Mid and top of side stair cases in temple but My Pet still goes down to mid circle when I command it to. Also, one of the biggest misconceptions in PvP is having to be on the circle. You don’t, at all; use your advantage as a range build, I know I do. If I win the fight from range I go cap it after I down them, If I come to the conclusion I will loose I can escape very easily at that range with GS.

Crazy Leg

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Thalionsir.5976

I just want the Ranger’s signature weapons to work without the high skill cap they have now…

I can be viable support in a fight, and sometimes win a 1 vs 1 with varying success depending on which class I’m facing, and all of this is with me clutching my keyboard and mouse, leaning in to my screen and paying rapt attention to what’s going on around me. Usually I leave a pool of sweat below my chair and I have actually become quite toned due to my flexing and constant intense concentration. I also have burst two blood vessels in my forehead and neck respectively due to the amount of times I have been killed off hand.

An aside, I feel about three years six months younger now due to how angry I have gotten in sPvP.

So, playing Rangers, bad or good? You decide.

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

If you still don’t like the ranger, legendary and ascended gear are now account bound, you can easily switch to a warrior.

Well that’s a bit more encouraging…. thanks for the tip! Assuming we ever get some new zones to map, I’ll come back and give that a trying out.

Sorry to see that there hasn’t been any REAL improvements though. And I’m even more sorry to see there’s still people who think we need to “learn 2 play” just because some of us believe the class has been underperforming all this time. Same people saying the same things a year ago when I was running circles around them with triple-gapclosing pure Melee setups (and doing fractals/Arah without dying). I blame it on them never actually playing Guardian or Mesmer and having truly “Carried” a whole team by themselves. If they had, they’d know what a real class FEELS like and is really capable of.

/back-to-lurking-mode

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Dead Muppet.9718

To really answer the OP question.

Yes rangers still suck.
WvW We are the least desired… there are a ton of threads why and proof will be in the recruitment threads alone.

Spvp Rangers still suck and more so now then we did months back. I hate spirit ranger but it was strong at one point. Now its no where near what it was and again the proof will be in the leaderboards both team and solo. Many of the so called top players who played this stupid spec have long since dropped off the leaderboards or likely moved to another character.

Rangers really have no one but themselves to blame for this. People played spirits and so long as Anet sees one viable spec (all be it boring as heck) they will never buff the class elsewhere.

So if you like bouncing around depending on dodges and minimal damage through bleeds and a burn then rangers arent far off from where they were.

Ill say flat out longbow sucks and I use it a fair bit. The defensive abilities for ranger are horrible on it. Its impossible to kite a good thief. There are more gap closers then openers for us.

Anet is too slow with thier updates and have little to no communication with the class. Im sure they will continue to bleed accounts rather than grow a larger pvp community.

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: infantrydivEU.9670

infantrydivEU.9670

Ranger:

Worst class in PvE? Yep
Worst class in WvW? Undoubtedly.
Worst class in PvP? At top tier, yep.

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: scirocco.9805

scirocco.9805

Well the problem is too little damage compared to other classes which fores us to spec glass cannon, and its extremly hard to play. And even if played right u cant win against a healing trinket warrior, or other extremly tough to take down classes, which is almost all of them atm.

Waiting for the linux port, wine makes my computer burn..

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

Ranger:

Worst class in PvE? Yep

Nope. Necros are worse in PvE. We atleast have spirits and spotter. Necro brings just comparable damage with no utility outside of blinds and weaknesses.

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Ranger:

Worst class in PvE? Yep

Is the above poster a warrior fanboy? yep, undoubtedly

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Ranger:

Worst class in PvE? Yep

…my guess is he did not watch 55 HP Monks in the PvP championships.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

Ranger:

Worst class in PvE? Yep

my guess is he do not know what exists outside of T1 NA zergballs

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Dead Muppet.9718

Ranger:

Worst class in PvE? Yep

I did watch 55hp monks, i do think its one of the better builds available to rangers… That being said I would still bring 2 warriors over 2 rangers with that spec.

Does that make me a warrior fanboy or a realist at this point in time of the class I play.

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

yes, because bringing 2 warriors is the worst idea ever. Even if they team up, they are nowhere near as strong as a single ele, or a well played condi ranger. They will just burn. It is a simple fact, warriors are only good when guardians got their rear end covered. This is why GWEN is even remotely working. Remove guardian, and the warrior is naught.

So for 2x warrior you’d need 2x guard to cover them, and then you got ONE slot of ONE class.

Tell you this dude, 2x thief/mesmer/ranger/engi > 2x warrior any day

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Dead Muppet.9718

yes, because bringing 2 warriors is the worst idea ever. Even if they team up, they are nowhere near as strong as a single ele, or a well played condi ranger. They will just burn. It is a simple fact, warriors are only good when guardians got their rear end covered. This is why GWEN is even remotely working. Remove guardian, and the warrior is naught.

So for 2x warrior you’d need 2x guard to cover them, and then you got ONE slot of ONE class.

Condi ranger yay…. boooooring. Another year of that and lets see how many people are playing the game.

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

So rangers are the new warriors and warriors the new rangers?
WTF is wrong with you?

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: Lorelei.3918

Lorelei.3918

If you want to play a lb ranger…then no. Lb just does not do enough damage to down a good player. Worse the amount of defense you give up to have a functioning Longbow is absolutely not worth the paltry damage. Pets fail at CC and the Longbow has no snares of its own so you wind up mostly fighting with your GS.

This might be true in spvp where you are fighting in an area the size of a closet, but longbow is pretty fantastic in WvW.

With all the buffs you can get from foods, guard leech, etc., the longbow becomes a nail driver and you can take down a lot of people without ever having to get in melee range.

As long as you stay with the zerg and don’t draw any attention. Go out by yourself in wvw and see how long it takes for melee to get on top of you.

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

oh i forgot to break down the usual warrior problems;
Too telegraphed attacks
Must get close and have to stay close
Their ranged options makes them useless (hambow is a joke, just a L2P issue to beat em)
They rely on high HP pool and toughness coupled with heavy damage to grind you down, yet, their attacks are so slow you can dance around and barely get hit ever.
In-combat mobility is rubbish as most of their mobility is gap closers, not movement in general. Great for running away though, but that is all they can do too.
Warriors in general is played by the average noob, and are therefore usually pretty awful. Good warriors will display splendid rotations. However a well played medi guard is more scary then any warrior.

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: Gercoa.7490

Gercoa.7490

So, month later, same question. I see that season 2 of living world starts tomorrow. Rolled a warrior for a while, but have only played her up to 25. Maybe it’s just the fact that I already earned my Kudzu, feels like end game, like nothing to really go for anymore and I just can’t seem to find a reason to play now.

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: Sumusikoo.1360

Sumusikoo.1360

So, month later, same question. I see that season 2 of living world starts tomorrow. Rolled a warrior for a while, but have only played her up to 25. Maybe it’s just the fact that I already earned my Kudzu, feels like end game, like nothing to really go for anymore and I just can’t seem to find a reason to play now.

how did u raise enough money for kudzu?

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: Gercoa.7490

Gercoa.7490

Raise money? I did it the old fashion way and actually earned it. Took me almost 900 hours of gameplay.

Ranger state...?

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

If you want to play a lb ranger…then no. Lb just does not do enough damage to down a good player. Worse the amount of defense you give up to have a functioning Longbow is absolutely not worth the paltry damage. Pets fail at CC and the Longbow has no snares of its own so you wind up mostly fighting with your GS.

This might be true in spvp where you are fighting in an area the size of a closet, but longbow is pretty fantastic in WvW.

With all the buffs you can get from foods, guard leech, etc., the longbow becomes a nail driver and you can take down a lot of people without ever having to get in melee range.

As long as you stay with the zerg and don’t draw any attention. Go out by yourself in wvw and see how long it takes for melee to get on top of you.

I solo roam all the time with a power build. Knockback, stealth, wolf fear, entangle, lighting reflexes, swoop, counter attack, hilt bash, perma swiftness…. how many things do you need to keep people off of you?

I burn down most people before they get in spitting distance of me. If they do get close you just use the myriad of tricks at your disposal to create some distance again, or just finish them off because they are likely close to death.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN