Ranger sword skill 1!

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Franklin Fhenrir.4962

Franklin Fhenrir.4962

So yeah…….

Good attacks with the sword and giving cripples to foes, giving might to pets and even 2-3 evades, hell we even leap to our foes in distance. But the weakness is the 2e en 3e attack of skill 1 for in this animation we rangers can’t move, evade or even break the attack. I like the animation but its makes it hard for us to do anything else during that moment and in pvp and wvw that’s deadly.

Also i believe ( not certain ) that there are no other professions with chain attacks that keep you standing at one spot during the attacks.

So i am asking what might be the best solution for us to also move around without us being to OP towards other classes

You either die a underpowered class or you live long enough to be the overpowered one.

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

Soon someone will jump in, tell you to turn off autoattack and shout “L2P!”

I don’t use sword too much, but I agree it should be changed.

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: JorneMormel.9850

JorneMormel.9850

Well when that idiot arrives be sure to remind him that it’s not a learn to play issue; rather it’s to learn and adjust to lousy design. I’ve been using the sword almost exclusively for over the past 6 months and while I know how to use it, it’s a weapon that cripples the Ranger (ingame with the lack of dodging and irl due to carpal tunnel syndrome if you do l2p.)

Mysterious Old Geek
Co-founder of Flying Pink Unicorns [PWNY], Ring of Fire

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Tsohg.1798

Tsohg.1798

I want to use the sword, but I don’t want my one key to break, so I use GS. FIX IT ANET!

See that hill? Thats where i’ll be, raining hell upon you.

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: hyjaxxx.1584

hyjaxxx.1584

So…if you just turn off your auto attack and learn to play….

Lol….i saw that above and just had to jump on it! I feel you guys its a big pain in the kitten . even spiking someone can be an issue. but ive found that double clicking F to finish em makes it work 99% of the time. In regards to the animation lock. i just turned off my auto attack , then set a macro to my naga so when i hold down the button as opposed to pressing it , it runs through the attack steps like auto. so you have the best of both worlds and no animation lag or lock up.

Whoajaxx the Ranger
Re-Port331,331R,DD331,Re-portV
Currently looking for wvw guild@henge

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Parktou.4263

Parktou.4263

Sword 1 is the biggest reason my ranger will be my 5th 80 instead of my 1st or 2nd -_-
The only problems I see with the ranger is Sword 1, Axe 5, Spirits, and of course the Pork. By pork I mean the fact that ~6 pets on the list have Forage as an active ability……..What idiot thought that was a good idea?! They need to give one of the pets Stability as an active and turn some of the forage into an actually useful ability x(

Shocking Shorty-Asura Tempest | Magnificent Mike-Troll Warrior | Lockpick Louie- Human Daredevil
Fabio Feline- Charr DH | Viktor Virtuoso-Norn Reaper | Pocket Prestige-Asura Chrono
Killer Kasserole-Plant Druid | Frankie Feline-Cat Scrapper | Felix Feline-Charr Herald

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

I think they haven’t fixed this already because those attacks are Leap skills, like GS #3. You can’t dodge or move during Leaps, so for Rangers to be able to move and dodge during their Sword auto-attack chain ANet should either rework how Leaps work (big change, would affect balance) or create a whole new skill type. The second option might seem easy to a non-programmer, but it can be pretty complicated due to all the movement calculation involved.

It’s probably far from an impossible task, but they’ve got bigger worries, as do Rangers. For example, I’d rather have their programmers work on pet AI.

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

The fix is fairly easy. Remove the lunge completely from Sword 1, it’s unnecessary. Then remove the back-dodge from Sword 2, why does a melee weapon want to be out of attack range? It doesn’t even activate fast enough to use effectively as an escape move. Just make it a straight-up 600 range forward lunge. Problems solved.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

i just turned off my auto attack , then set a macro to my naga so when i hold down the button as opposed to pressing it , it runs through the attack steps like auto. so you have the best of both worlds and no animation lag or lock up.

I thought of that a few weeks ago and just haven’t gotten around to putting it on my nostromo as my naga is all utilities and menus. What delay are you using?

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: shinreigari.7318

shinreigari.7318

I found sword autoattack to be great for chasing and slowing someone. It keeps to the target, you don’t need to run after it yourself while swinging the sword. If they change the leap, this will disappear, which imo is not a good thing. If i need to dodge while autoattacking, i usually do this: use dagger #4 (which is an evade) and THEN dodge if there is still something to dodge that i haven’t evaded with the skill. Serpent’s strike is also kinda good for this, but it activates slower. And i agree that Monarch’s Leap activates far too slow, i also don’t like that it sends me back way too far. If anything on sword, that skill should be changed.
A probable solution could be that they don’t change the leap, they just somehow make it interruptable by dodges or by hitting another skill button. Though it could work/look funny to dodge in the middle of a jump, but it could work and i don’t see why it couldn’t be done.

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Fenrir.6183

Fenrir.6183

Don’t use sword if you don’t like it. Stop asking for changes on weapons when you don’t like them, use other weapons instead.

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

The fix is fairly easy. Remove the lunge completely from Sword 1, it’s unnecessary. Then remove the back-dodge from Sword 2, why does a melee weapon want to be out of attack range? It doesn’t even activate fast enough to use effectively as an escape move. Just make it a straight-up 600 range forward lunge. Problems solved.

“Why…” do you ask?
Because You are leather armored ranger not plate mailed warrior or guardian…
the whole Idea of this class is evading and skirmishing with enemies…
PS. when You need to escape from massive atack that have long cast time (some champions on Claw of Jormag for example) sword 2 clicked quick enough will evade this – no matter that hit before evade

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“Don’t use sword if you don’t like it. Stop asking for changes on weapons when you don’t like them, use other weapons instead.”

Nope. Good design would leave us with a full set of weapons that are all enjoyable to use and balanced for different situations and play styles.

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Skady.5916

Skady.5916

Don’t use sword if you don’t like it. Stop asking for changes on weapons when you don’t like them, use other weapons instead.

Well im sorry but i need melee mainhand weapon. 2handed option might not work for some builds out there. Sword is a terrible mainhand weapon, it has use in only one case – chasing runaway opponent.

A man of knowledge lives by acting, not by thinking about acting.
-Carlos Castaneda
Skady Valda

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Wild.3847

Wild.3847

Sword 2 means that you can summon a spirit out of melee range and jump back without loosing any extra dps. If you dont use a spirit you can also cast Hunter’s Call.

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Sword is amazing, you just dont want to make the effort of learning how to use it . I was in the same boat as you guys and then i got better

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Miiro.3124

Miiro.3124

turn off auto attack L2P

[SAV] Miiro 80 Ranger
Jade Quarry Champion Hunter
Solo/Small man WvW

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Durlot.5278

Durlot.5278

Well when that idiot arrives be sure to remind him that it’s not a learn to play issue; rather it’s to learn and adjust to lousy design. I’ve been using the sword almost exclusively for over the past 6 months and while I know how to use it, it’s a weapon that cripples the Ranger (ingame with the lack of dodging and irl due to carpal tunnel syndrome if you do l2p.)

Guess said idiot just steped in the thread….. and ye Anet should definitly sort the sword 1 out… at least put a range on it like under 500 units it doesn’t jump hence no lock… over 500 units it does the leap. problem solved

Hey Macarena Eh?
SFR [TROL] Leader \(;,,;)/

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

If sword is to complicated for you to figure out, Please don’t ask for it to be dumbed down, Go play a different class, or use a different weapon.

Sword in this game is perfect..

Having to explain why Sword 2 has a backwards leap (which is amazing) or why having a leap on our auto attack is amazing gets old after a while.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Diehard.1432

Diehard.1432

The only idiots here are the one who don’t know how to maximize the current sword mechanics. Sorry, this had to be said and you guys started it.

However, if anet are to fix it without nerfing it, iam cool with that

Garuda X, lvl 80 human Siamoth Ranger JQ SEA
[VaL]

(edited by Diehard.1432)

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

JorneMormel.9850

I never said the sword wasn’t a viable weapon, in fact I stated I’d been using it almost exclusively for awhile now. That’s not because the weapon itself is weak, but it’s the only weapon ingame with which you have to manually disable skill 1 in order to not put yourself at risk.

Decent damage and survivability aside; it’s just lousy design that you have to manually spam auto-attack. If you still think there’s no problem with that in mind, I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

One more example of good design, though. The greatsword is actually a better weapon if you disable the auto-attack and time the evade on skill 1 right. However it can still be used without disabling auto-attack and there’s no real penalty for doing so. In terms of optimising your gameplay; timing your skills manually will always reign surpreme.

The whole discussion about the one handed sword, however, is that you will get rooted if you choose not to disable the auto-attack.

Mysterious Old Geek

(edited by JorneMormel.9850)

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Why do you have Auto Attack on in the first place….

Seriously, Do you guys not PvP or something? You should of disabled it a long time ago to deal with things like Retal and Confusion.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

JorneMormel.9850

Why do you have Auto Attack on in the first place….

Seriously, Do you guys not PvP or something? You should of disabled it a long time ago to deal with things like Retal and Confusion.

In terms of maximising DPS having auto-attack enabled is superior to manually activating skill 1 because of possible latency issues. As for the Retaliation boon and Confusion, it’s easy enough to stop auto-attacking by cancel casting or by changing your direction away from the target…

Then again; you can’t and shouldn’t want to force players to play the way you want them to, just because it’s optimising the class’ potential. Different players have different playstyles, and there’s no telling anyone they’re doing it right or wrong if they are enjoying themselves.

Mind you not everyone is only interested in PvP. It’s already caused enough frustration that a lot of game updates are so very fixated on the sPvP format, and in the process destroyed perfectly viable PvE/WvW builds and playstyles.

Mysterious Old Geek

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Franklin Fhenrir.4962

The main reason i posted this thread was to talk about the improvement of the 2 and 3e attack of skill " the attack that won’t let you move during a attack". It is not only for me but also for the other Rangers that might had some problems with the attack. Like i said it’s deadly for some PvP/WvW matches, but also during Pve combat in dungeons. During a Mesmer boss battle in SE i always dodged by a hairs breath when she casts here aoe stab, but if you are able to move you got it allot easier to get out of that field if you were not immobilized at the spot.

People can say " don’t use sword at all then" but i like the sword its MY character, MY play style, My build, i don’t wanna be forced using a other weapon just because its safer.

And if people say L2p let me tell you now not everyone is as good as the other. Some are better some are worse, i find myself a little above average with the sword. The sword must be fun for every kind of leveled player to use in a fight be it Pve or Pvp and if you take away the ability of the ranger to run around by keeping it at 1 spot then people will look bad at the sword and will barely play it.

Also skill 2 and 3 are not always about pure damage but to dodge and avoid the damage, thats what it is to be a melee Ranger

You either die a underpowered class or you live long enough to be the overpowered one.

(edited by Franklin Fhenrir.4962)

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I like sword, I just don’t like some elements of it and would like it to be better. I like the speed and the movement on Sword 3, I just don’t like the auto-lunge on the auto-attack combo, and Sword 2 seems pointless.

“Why…” do you ask?
Because You are leather armored ranger not plate mailed warrior or guardian…
the whole Idea of this class is evading and skirmishing with enemies…

Yeah, but it’s not a good evasion at all. It takes too long to get off and pulls you too far out of the action. If you try to activate it when you see an enemy starting to attack, chances are you’ll dodge right after it hits you. If they changed to to activate instantly and with animation priority like Lightning Reflexes then it might be worth keeping, but as it stands, Sword 3 and Knife 4 make much better avoidance abilities, when normal dodging isn’t the best option. They move you out of the way of attacks and give you evade frames, but keep you right in melee range to continue attacking. If you need to leave melee range, that’s what Dodge is for.

An alternative to changing Sword 2 to be a straight charge move like Warrior Sword 2, they could instead make it so that it acts as an evading charge-through, similar to Warrior GS3, only a leap finisher instead of a whirl. It would lunge forward 600 range, regardless of your distance to target, and put you in evasion, so if you were at 600 range it would be a closer, and if you were in melee it would be a dodge that would place you behind the target.

Sword 2 means that you can summon a spirit out of melee range and jump back without loosing any extra dps. If you dont use a spirit you can also cast Hunter’s Call.

If Sword 2 were a straight lunge instead, could you not dodge back, Spirit, and then lunge forward?

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

JorneMormel.9850

The main reason i posted this thread was to talk about the improvement of the 2 and 3e attack of skill " the attack that won’t let you move during a attack". It is not only for me but also for the other Rangers that might had some problems with the attack. Like i said it’s deadly for some PvP/WvW matches, but also during Pve combat in dungeons. During a Mesmer boss battle in SE i always dodged by a hairs breath when she casts here aoe stab, but if you are able to move you got it allot easier to get out of that field if you were not immobilized at the spot.

People can say " don’t use sword at all then" but i like the sword its MY character, MY play style, My build, i don’t wanna be forced using a other weapon just because its safer.

And if people say L2p let me tell you now not everyone is as good as the other. Some are better some are worse, i find myself a little above average with the sword. The sword must be fun for every kind of leveled player to use in a fight be it Pve or Pvp and if you take away the ability of the ranger to run around by keeping it at 1 spot then people will look bad at the sword and will barely play it.

Also skill 2 and 3 are not always about pure damage but to dodge and avoid the damage, thats what it is to be a melee Ranger

I think you misunderstood " the attack that won’t let you move during a attack"... The discussion is about the sword skill 1, as there’s serious issues with that. Must’ve been my mistake to go by the the thread’s very title, thinking it had something to do with the discussion.

Edited to explain If you leave skill 1 on auto-attack, you get rooted in place and cannot time your dodges as well as you would when disabling auto-attack. Skill 2 and 3 however, are movement/evade skills and the timing and direction is entirely in the player’s control. With these skills the player has full control of the movement of their character, because you can actually anticipate on the skill animation having a fixed pattern. Skill 2 first dodges backwards from your target, if you have a target (if not, it’s just backwards…) So if you want to move forward just change your camera angle by 180 degrees and be done with it. Skill 3 also has a fixed pattern on how much distance is passed and in what direction you will be moving. Having no control of movement during the animation is fine because you’re actually dodging. I don’t see you changing direction in the middle of a dodge roll either.

And there I was, hoping to find a proper discussion on the issue… Ah well!

In that case carry on, I’m not going to defend changing the second or third skill as I think they’re both amazing. I would side with anyone who simply states it’s a l2p issue.
If any changes were made to those skills it’s the reaction time on skill 2, but I’d probably put that at the very bottom of my wishlist.

Just read the reply; my apologies for the misunderstanding. I’d been awake for way too long by now, and thought the discussion went back to skill 2 and 3 of the sword, not skill 2 and 3 of the skill 1 attack chain.

Mysterious Old Geek

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Franklin Fhenrir.4962

@jorneMormel

What i meant with the" the attack that won’t let you move during a attack" is that when you use the chain attack of skill 1 “slash 1#” you follow up with “kick 2#” and " Pounce 3# " which wont let you move during skill # 2 en # 3 ( except for the leap on 3 but that won’t matter if foe is standing still).

If we talk about Hornet sting ( skill 2 ) and Serpent strike ( skill 3 ) then i don’t have any problems with it there both amazing, good evade and retreat and even to shorten distances fast using the skill 2.

The thread should have just been about skill 1 with its 3 chain attacks and how it " could be improved " without making it to strong for enemy’s to complain about, but some people started about the hornets and the serpents so it went a little confusing. i thought my thread was clear about that but so far not much came out of it.

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

If sword is to complicated for you to figure out, Please don’t ask for it to be dumbed down, Go play a different class, or use a different weapon.

Having to explain why Sword 2 has a backwards leap (which is amazing) or why having a leap on our auto attack is amazing gets old after a while.

Yep I agree. I do not want sword changed.

To those people that worry about not being able to dodge when using a sword. Duel someone good while you use sword/Dagger. Then switch up and use a GS. Everyone says the GS is a defensive weapon…correct? So since you can dodge with it…and it is a “defensive” weapon. That combination would make you tougher to hit than using sword …right ? I think you will find that you get hit a lot less using S/D. Even when you don’t turn off auto attack. So you will get hit less and do more damage …what ? In addition you are hitting them with poisons/bleeds and cripples…..which makes their heals less effective and allows you to kite easier.

I absolutely hate fighting a Ranger with S/D. Very hard to track them down because the Ranger decides the ebb and flow of the fight. Every single time I duel someone with S/D I get the same comment ….stop jumping around so kitten much so I can hit you.

Nah, kitten the dodging. If you are a very good player that can reap the benefits of Sword and also get dodges with auto attack off …and can pull off the superior movements (escape and close gaps) then kudos to you. I don’t have the skill to keep auto attack off and control the weapon. It still is a terrific weapon with auto attack on.

Not only don’t change it I worry they might nerf it.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

JorneMormel.9850

Yep I agree. I do not want sword changed.

To those people that worry about not being able to dodge when using a sword. Duel someone good while you use sword/Dagger. Then switch up and use a GS. Everyone says the GS is a defensive weapon…correct? So since you can dodge with it…and it is a “defensive” weapon. That combination would make you tougher to hit than using sword …right ? I think you will find that you get hit a lot less using S/D. Even when you don’t turn off auto attack. So you will get hit less and do more damage …what ? In addition you are hitting them with poisons/bleeds and cripples…..which makes their heals less effective and allows you to kite easier.

I absolutely hate fighting a Ranger with S/D. Very hard to track them down because the Ranger decides the ebb and flow of the fight. Every single time I duel someone with S/D I get the same comment ….stop jumping around so kitten much so I can hit you.

Nah, kitten the dodging. If you are a very good player that can reap the benefits of Sword and also get dodges with auto attack off …and can pull off the superior movements (escape and close gaps) then kudos to you. I don’t have the skill to keep auto attack off and control the weapon. It still is a terrific weapon with auto attack on.

Not only don’t change it I worry they might nerf it.

Correct me if I’m wrong but is it just the fear of the weapon being nerfed if any changes are made, that keeps you from supporting any change on the sword skill 1?
I wouldn’t mind at all if the animation stayed the same but could actually be cancelled out by dodging. That’s not dumbing down the weapon; that’s increasing potential, and would in my opinion make the weapon more accessible to less experienced players.

That said, fear is never a good reason not to adress issues.
(Although in the Ranger’s case I understand that getting beaten and bruised over and over again by the nerf stick isn’t a good way to promote healthy conversation about skill changes.)

Mysterious Old Geek

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Franklin Fhenrir.4962

Correct me if I’m wrong but is it just the fear of the weapon being nerfed if any changes are made, that keeps you from supporting any change on the sword skill 1?
I wouldn’t mind at all if the animation stayed the same but could actually be cancelled out by dodging. That’s not dumbing down the weapon; that’s increasing potential, and would in my opinion make the weapon more accessible to less experienced players.

That said, fear is never a good reason not to adress issues.
(Although in the Ranger’s case I understand that getting beaten and bruised over and over again by the nerf stick isn’t a good way to promote healthy conversation about skill changes.)

Finally one of the few people who know what i mean. Making it possible to break the attack by a dodge roll is a good example for a improvement. people might get scared because it might get nerved. but in order to break the attack you sacrifice 50% endurance for a roll so it should be in balance.

(edited by Franklin Fhenrir.4962)

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

4am and a tad drowzy at work so I can’t come up with a better analogy than this.

..every week you get your paystub you notice they are charging you for parking…yet you don’t use their parking services. You also notice they are paying you $1 an hour more than you should be getting. Me? I don’t say a thing about parking. I don’t want anything to be " fixed"

I like that sword 1 sticks to the target. 2+3 are two of the best skills in the game. Would it be batter if 1,2+3 stayed the same and allowed us to dodge with 1 ? Maybe. Maybe not. Personally I like it the way it is. I think the potential loss far out weighs the potential gain.

So fear ? Maybe a little(and there is more than enough precedent with Anet to give that fear some substance), but I also do like it the way it is now…and because I like the way it is now I don’t support any change to it.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilaelya.1420

Kilaelya.1420

There have been many threads on this issue. Any #1 attack (that is supposed to be your auto attack) that requires you to TAKE OFF the auto attack is obviously not working as it should.

I like sword, but I only dare use it in certain places.

Minara | Ranger | Beastgate | [vR]

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

All the people who like the sword following a moving target, telling others to learn to play with auto attacks off , why don’t you learn to follow a target?

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: BlackhawkSOM.6401

BlackhawkSOM.6401

Learn …to….Play

Sword is fine

Retuxan-80 Ranger-Rank 40
Jade quarry, MoG

Ranger sword skill 1!

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

you have a huge up side and a big downside to the weapon . It is how its supposed to be . Not brainless auto attacking