Ranger weapons need more AoE.

in Ranger

Posted by: kappa.2036

kappa.2036

In preparation of PoF, i was theorycrafting a Soulbeast build for wvw/gvg and i basically got stuck in the weapon choice. WvW builds run weapons that can do a lot of AoEs, but sadly, ranger doesn’t have many of them. So, let’s see our weapon choices (besides warhorn that is clearly mandatory in a team comp):

Longbow
I think this is our best aoe weapon. We can pick Lead the Wind for piercing arrows, and barrage can hit a lot of enemies. Problem is, the weapon needs to land so many hits and we can take a lot of damage by retaliation. Also, projectiles can be easily reflected and the new spellbreaker elite skill will deny 90% of our longbow damage. Anyway, the weapon is really good at destroying sieges like ac’s on towers (but still subpar to ele staff) and pressuring low health targets, so it isn’t that bad, but not good either.
Shortbow
I can’t see this weapon being viable in a zerg or guild group honestly. Less damage and range than longbow, only projectiles, zero AoE. Not good at all.
Greatsword
I like the idea of being a frontliner. Maul on soulbeast can actually hit very hard and hits up to 5 targets. But what we have outside Maul? Only single target low damage. I really like the concept but i’m not convinced at all.
Axe mainhand
Might stacks, multiple conditions and can hit multiple targets at 900 range, especially with Hnoed axes. Seems good on paper, but you have no mobility, blocks or whatsoever, attacks are slow, and most important, PROJECTILES AGAIN.
Sword & Dagger Mainhand
Maybe we’ll see some use with warhorn.
Torch offhand
Finally an AoE, but i’m really not sure about it. I mean, this is completely useless in a power build, and offers no utility aswell.
Dagger offhand
No AoE’s, good evade. I don’t think i will run it if i have warhorn already.
Axe Offhand
Both #4 and #5 can be good, but being rooted in place is something i don’t like.
Beast abilities
Sadly, we don’t have much aoes except Wordly Impact, Prelude Lash,Primal Cry, and some other skills but honestly, in wvw i would prefer Spiritual Reprieve and Unflinching Fortitude.

I think our best combos are

Sword or Dagger/Warhorn with:

• Longbow
  • Greatsword
  • Axe/axe or Dagger/axe or Sword/axe

I want my staff lol.

in Ranger

Posted by: Krispera.5087

Krispera.5087

Ranger have it real bad with AoE. Mesmer is bad too, without Chronomancer wells.

You know what’s better ? A year ago, they removed one bounce from Axe, then gave another bounce to Thief SBow and buffed Choking Gas damage. A long time ago, they removed throwing traps, our only way to do AoE damage at range.

Splitblade damage is still unsplit and does more damage in PvP (Still don’t understand that move).

The Jacaranda and the Iboga will be our saviours… Even then, I don’t want to rely on them.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarision.6347

Sarision.6347

Jacaranda and Iboga will receive the same treatment as Smokescale and Bristleback.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Yeah, I wouldn’t count on Jacaranda and Iboga too much. Both of those will receive reductions.

Jaca’s lightning reminded me when people complained about being spiked down by Storm Spirit’s old active, back when it had higher damage and modifier.

Took Anet 2 days to nerf it after a complaint thread. I expect to see the Jaca follow the Gazelle in that manner.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Ranger have it real bad with AoE. Mesmer is bad too, without Chronomancer wells.

You know what’s better ? A year ago, they removed one bounce from Axe, then gave another bounce to Thief SBow and buffed Choking Gas damage. A long time ago, they removed throwing traps, our only way to do AoE damage at range.

Splitblade damage is still unsplit and does more damage in PvP (Still don’t understand that move).

The Jacaranda and the Iboga will be our saviours… Even then, I don’t want to rely on them.

They remove throwing traps but release Shade which is like a stronger throwing traps?

This is the Anet we know too well!

in Ranger

Posted by: borya.2964

borya.2964

Torch offhand
Finally an AoE, but i’m really not sure about it. I mean, this is completely useless in a power build, and offers no utility aswell.

Since it’s the best AOE weapon skill we have, we’ll probably need to take a look at a condi build. I didn’t put a lot of effort into this, but :

Stance sharing condi bunker (mid to frontline), camping best mode probably :

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQRBMhd+pgHLQ1ChJhqDgTdC8J/yzcA-TVjAQBJ4IAISlQkUZQi0Mkj9HGjSHSpmCAOIAnS1iGpE8cPAg+pHwinAASB46KN-w

- Pets: Jacaranda, Iboga
- SoulBeast : Unstoppable Union, Second Skin, Leader of the Pack.png Leader of the Pack
- Heal: Bear Stance, Utility 1 : Dolyak Syance, Utility 2 : Griffon Stance

Offense :
- AOE burn (Bonfire)
- AOE damage (Call Lightning / Jacaranda)
- AOE damage + confusion (Narcotic Spores / Iboga)
- AOE immobilize, cripple / slow (Muddy terrain, Entangle, Stf + heal)
- 1200 pull (one target) (Frang Grapple / Iboga ’s F2)

Defense :
- 3300 armor + 10% damage reduction
- 2 break stun
- Stability
- Cleans (Bear stance + StF + WK, survivals skills)
- Protection with heal per sec and 33% condi damage reduction (on dodge, Protective Ward, Runes, Griffon Stane)
- Regen (Call of the Wild)
- Heal + regen + cleans (Photosintethize / Jacaranda)
- Mobility / repositioning (perma swiftness, sword)

Party :
- Boons swiftness, might, fury and regen (Call of the Wild)
- Stances effect sharing
- AOE heal + resistance (Spiritual Reprieve / Jacaranda)

Coffin Rehearsal X – Bunker Roaming Ranger
Tchuu Tchuu Im A Train [TCHU] – Gandara
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChUmRHtHLgPckvtrPImxK3A

in Ranger

Posted by: ProtoMarcus.7649

ProtoMarcus.7649

They remove throwing traps but release Shade which is like a stronger throwing traps?

This is the Anet we know too well!

Remember they also highly reduced spirits and basically gave old spirit ranger to Revenants!

Mobile Boon bot with Herald and

Multi summons with Renegade!

Revenant is the more efficient spirit ranger!

And our spirits are not ground targetable, can be affected by CC and not mobile, and rangers are mostly about mobility