Ranger without pet

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

can we please have an option to make ranger without pet.
i like ranger skills, i like the animations for sword and greatsword. but what i don’t like is having to sacrifice my dmg, and my skills to help that pet along.
it doesn’t help and i would much rather just get rid of it all together.

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: aPutridCorpse.8792

aPutridCorpse.8792

I would like the option as well.
For those that want to use the pets all the time they can, for those that don’t they have the option but will lose any utilities that comes with the pets.

Level 80 Asura Ranger
Level 30 Human Guardian

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: NaturalPortman.9562

NaturalPortman.9562

For those that want to use the pets all the time they can, for those that don’t they have the option but will lose any utilities that comes with the pets.

that’s stupid and will never happen. its our special class mechanic.

(im a girl btw)

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

aPutridCorpse.8792

If you mean special olympics “special” then yes, I agree.

Level 80 Asura Ranger
Level 30 Human Guardian

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: nldixon.8514

nldixon.8514

I don’t understand why people purposefully want to nerf themselves by not using a pet.

Second, pets are the Ranger class mechanic. It’s not like the game or any of the written material at any point leads you astray or suggests otherwise, so if you willfully chose the Ranger class knowing that you don’t like playing a pet class… I’m not really sure what say.

It’s like ordering a cheeseburger then complaining that you like everything except the cheese, but you definitely don’t want a hamburger. You want a cheeseburger.

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Pet’s aren’t even that bad. The only real issue they have is coming down ledges, other than that they have no issues. I don’t have any trouble controlling mine.

(im a girl btw)

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Tyr.6097

Tyr.6097

I don’t understand why people purposefully want to nerf themselves by not using a pet.

Second, pets are the Ranger class mechanic. It’s not like the game or any of the written material at any point leads you astray or suggests otherwise, so if you willfully chose the Ranger class knowing that you don’t like playing a pet class… I’m not really sure what say.

It’s like ordering a cheeseburger then complaining that you like everything except the cheese, but you definitely don’t want a hamburger. You want a cheeseburger.

Maybe some people want to play a marksman without a pet? Most of mmos are giving ranger classes stupid pets because it’s cool. Whats your problem to have the choice to use a pet or not?

Tyrs Klinge ~Thief~

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

Pet’s aren’t even that bad. The only real issue they have is coming down ledges, other than that they have no issues. I don’t have any trouble controlling mine.

It would be nice if they could attack while moving, especially in PvP. The pathfinding is a little wonky and I’d like it if using F2 overrode whatever the pet was doing instead of adding the ability to the end of the pet queue.

Other than that though, pets really aren’t too terrible, but they definitely need some work.

Spirits, on the other hand… Yikes.

Maybe some people want to play a marksman without a pet? Most of mmos are giving ranger classes stupid pets because it’s cool. Whats your problem to have the choice to use a pet or not?

Then some people should play a Warrior using a rifle or a bow, an Engineer, or a Thief with a shortbow. There’s your choice to use a pet or not. Rangers are designed as a pet class, that’s how ANet intends for them to be played.

(edited by nldixon.8514)

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

aPutridCorpse.8792

So, pets struggling to hit moving targets is not a main issue? Because it’s hurting most other Rangers DPS.

Level 80 Asura Ranger
Level 30 Human Guardian

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

can we please have an option to make ranger without pet.

No. No, no and no. Hell no. Fix pets!

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

OGDeadHead.8326

You clearly have never played (s)pvp with your pet.

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: RummyTheMad.7290

RummyTheMad.7290

It’s not a problem that people want to play an archer w/o a pet. It’s a problem that people want to make the ranger into that when you can already do that by playing a thief or warrior. The ability to do it exists already, but people are completely hung up an wanting to play a character called a ranger for some reason.

Just roll one of the other archer classes if you don’t want to play a class with pet. It seems so simple…

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Clearly I have, learn to control your pet please.

(im a girl btw)

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

So, pets struggling to hit moving targets is not a main issue? Because it’s hurting most other Rangers DPS.

So let’s see, Anet gives you ALL these wonderful CC skills and snares and you choose to ignore them to assist your pet. Hmm sounds like a great idea.

(im a girl btw)

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

OGDeadHead.8326

Gee, another one!? So, the only issues with pets is the “coming down ledges”? Are you effin’ serious – honestly?? Or are you actually a thief/mesmer, coming here to troll the ranger forums?

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Gee, another one!? So, the only issues with pets is the “coming down ledges”? Are you effin’ serious – honestly?? Or are you actually a thief/mesmer, coming here to troll the ranger forums?

Please refer to my previous response if your only issue with pets is hitting them while the enemy is moving. And if your other issue is f2 being iffy with responsiveness, there is a trick to using it instantly but clearly you haven’t figured that out yet.

(im a girl btw)

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

aPutridCorpse.8792

So let’s see, Anet gives you ALL these wonderful CC skills and snares and you choose to ignore them to assist your pet. Hmm sounds like a great idea.

oh I see, so I have to use things that I don’t want to use in order to make the pet viable. That makes sense. Because you know, I’m not a trap Ranger…
How about the pet is viable from the get go? Hmm sounds like a great idea.

Level 80 Asura Ranger
Level 30 Human Guardian

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

oh I see, so I have to use things that I don’t want to use in order to make the pet viable. That makes sense. Because you know, I’m not a trap Ranger…

Did I even mention traps? No? Do you know how many gap closers rangers have? Clearly you don’t. Did you know that you can swap your pet to spawn your other pet right beside you? Did you know basically all your weapon sets have a cripple? Do you even play ranger?

(im a girl btw)

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

OGDeadHead.8326

Please refer to my previous response if your only issue with pets is hitting them while the enemy is moving. And if your other issue is f2 being iffy with responsiveness, there is a trick to using it instantly but clearly you haven’t figured that out yet.

Oh, yes I have! But it was you who said that the only issue with pets was the “coming down ledges”-issue, right? So, I ask you again – is that the only issues with pets, as you see it?

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

In all fairness the F3 trick is kind of dumb and is just circumnavigating a poorly designed mechanic. F2 should just clear the pet queue and activate.

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

ok reasons i HATE pet. 1. it cant attack on the move so it USELESS in pvp and WvW.
2. it dies in 2 secounds
3. all it does is draw aggro when i dont want any and draw me into combat.
i ok with it drawign aggro in when i in combat but not when i trying to avoid it.
4. it wotn stay STOWED.
5. it makes me weak cause ranger skills need pet alive ot be effective. see 2.
6. if you tell it to stay out of combat, it runs in anyway. pet ai stinks.

ok rage over.

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

In all fairness the F3 trick is kind of dumb and is just circumnavigating a poorly designed mechanic. F2 should just clear the pet queue and activate.

Was not talking about the f3 trick.

(im a girl btw)

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: RummyTheMad.7290

RummyTheMad.7290

People…come on. Please just drop the anger for a second and think about it. If people are able to make their pets work through different techniques, then maybe you should consider trying those techniques instead of complaining that you have to use them. It’s a bit ridiculous to say things like “pets don’t work,” when clearly people can make them work pretty well.

If you just don’t want to use the methods that help make it so that your pets can land their hits, is that really a problem with the prof…?

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

ok reasons i HATE pet. 1. it cant attack on the move so it USELESS in pvp and WvW.
2. it dies in 2 secounds
3. all it does is draw aggro when i dont want any and draw me into combat.
i ok with it drawign aggro in when i in combat but not when i trying to avoid it.
4. it wotn stay STOWED.
5. it makes me weak cause ranger skills need pet alive ot be effective. see 2.
6. if you tell it to stay out of combat, it runs in anyway. pet ai stinks.

ok rage over.

1. Certain pets are much better at attacking on the move and have their own ways of stopping/slowing down opponents so they can attack more effectively. While it would be incredibly nice if pets were fixed so they could attack on the move, there are ways around it right now. Not an ideal situation, but we gotta work with what we got!

2. If you don’t trait for you pet at least a little bit, your pet is going to die, yes. When you try to go glass cannon on your Ranger and totally ignore your pet, it’s going to die. And it’s going to die hard. My pet never dies in dungeons, because I don’t let it die. You have to do a little micromanaging, but it’s possible to keep them alive for an entire dungeon run. My pet never dies in PvP either, unless it’s focused by multiple players or I stop paying attention to it (which happens sometimes).

3. Stow your pet when you’re travelling around the map trying to avoid combat and it’ll only come out if you take damage. You can keep running away while your pet distracts your foe and then you pet swap when you’re out of range of the mob. This is actually one of my favorite features of my Ranger as it allows me to avoid a lot of combat if I want to.

4. See above. I’m glad it doesn’t stay stowed. If they change it so pets stay perma-stowed, I’m gonna be bummed out.

5. See point two.

6. I have never had my pet go back into combat after I set it on passive unless I use it’s F2 ability (effectively telling it to go back into combat). If you’re just looking for the buff from the pet, wait until it’s done casting and use F3 or pet swap.

Care to elaborate? It’s a lot more helpful to actually share your knowledge than to just imply people are stupid for not knowing all the tricks.

(edited by nldixon.8514)

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

aPutridCorpse.8792

Did I even mention traps? No? Do you know how many gap closers rangers have? Clearly you don’t. Did you know that you can swap your pet to spawn your other pet right beside you? Did you know basically all your weapon sets have a cripple? Do you even play ranger?

oooooh. right. I forgot I want to close the gap…..not maintain it….here I thought longbow was for range.

What difference does it make it I swap pets? The new pet wont consistantly hit the moving target either…

So, given I use longbow and axe/warhorn, what should I do then?
Wait for barrage cooldown every fight?
Wait for winters bite cooldown every fight?
Maybe I’ll use point blank shot and hope the pet gets a hit in?

While I’m waiting I’ll spread some peanut butter on the ground and throw crackers at my target.

Or perhaps it would just make more sense to make the pets hit a lot more often.

Level 80 Asura Ranger
Level 30 Human Guardian

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

oooooh. right. I forgot I want to close the gap…..not maintain it….here I thought longbow was for range.

What difference does it make it I swap pets? The new pet wont consistantly hit the moving target either…

While I’m waiting I’ll spread some peanut butter on the ground and throw crackers at my target.

Your complaints are horrible and irrelevant. We might as well give elementalists 0 delay on attunement swaps, get rid of initiative and let thieves spam any attacks they want forever, or even better let kill shot be an instant shot that can be spammed right?

(im a girl btw)

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

OGDeadHead.8326

Pet swap + instantly use their F2 ability.

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Having-trouble-controlling-your-pets/first#post893766

Your welcome.

(im a girl btw)

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

That’s not really much of a trick, since it sometimes fails to activate if you use F2 the instant you swap, but still goes on cooldown.

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

aPutridCorpse.8792

Your complaints are horrible and irrelevant. We might as well give elementalists 0 delay on attunement swaps, get rid of initiative and let thieves spam any attacks they want forever, or even better let kill shot be an instant shot that can be spammed right?

So, since I use signet of stone, quickening zepher, rampage as one and radiation field….I should swap out what I have enjoyed using and be pigeon holed into something else so my pets work properly?
If pets are going to work at all, they should work with any combination of skills.

Level 80 Asura Ranger
Level 30 Human Guardian

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Peter.9406

Peter.9406

THIS! Lol perfect analogy.

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

So, since I use signet of stone, quickening zepher, rampage as one and radiation field….I should swap out what I have enjoyed using and be pigeon holed into something else so my pets work properly?
If pets are going to work at all, they should work with any combination of skills.

Your complaint has nothing to do with the ranger class. Your complaint can be applied to every single class in this game. Go play a long bow rifle warrior, see how effective that is too.

(im a girl btw)

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

aPutridCorpse.8792

Your complaint has nothing to do with the ranger class. Your complaint can be applied to every single class in this game. Go play a long bow rifle warrior, see how effective that is too.

I didn’t know every class in this game had pets.

Crap, maybe I’m not playing a Ranger afterall.

I think I forgot what my name is.

Where am I?

Level 80 Asura Ranger
Level 30 Human Guardian

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

I didn’t know every class in this game had pets.

Crap, maybe I’m not playing a Ranger afterall.

I think I forgot what my name is.

Where am I?

Let me basically say what you’re saying right now but in a different perspective.

I want high damage on my thief but I wanna play double pistol, are you telling me I have to switch how I want to play to do high damage?

Please stop posting and just delete your ranger already. You are not doing the ranger community any good by crying about things that don’t matter.

(im a girl btw)

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

A lot of us probably didn’t realize the drawbacks from the pets during any of the BWE’s, nor during the PvE leveling phase. I know I didn’t. I can tank and dps like crazy in PvE right now with my pet.

Then I started doing W3 a couple of weeks ago…what a difference. How are all of these players doing 5k dps(low-end estimate) while I’m whittling them down at 200 a hit with my twig-shooting bow. They can gap close on me and roflstomp my life away while my dog is 10 yards away howling in the opposite direction. -_-

Few of us chose ranger because we knew it would be like this. It took dungeons and pvp to bring out that stark reality. Things that you don’t get to until a month into the game. That’s why so many rangers are going 30 deep in Wilderness Survival with Knight’s gear; we obviously can’t hurt em much without some pigeon-holed condition build, so we might as well be tough to kill.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

(edited by Obsidian.1328)

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Loki.4871

Loki.4871

It became painfully clear to me by the time I hit level 15 in the BWEs; even a mere five points had made a massive difference to the pet.
Plus I came from GW1, which also had the pet performace tied to the beastmastery trait. At 0, it was a portable corpse and at 16 (maximum) it was as broken as SoS.

As for GW2, you know that if you bother to put points into beastmastery the pets become tougher, do good damage and you can heal yourself for much more? I have 30 beastmastery and not only do my pets (per hit) do more damage than me (got 10 power and full solidiers) regardless of crits, but seldom get oneshotted and I can heal myself for over half my health using Heal as One. The beastmaster trait line isn’t that bad.

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

It became painfully clear to me by the time I hit level 15 in the BWEs; even a mere five points had made a massive difference to the pet.
Plus I came from GW1, which also had the pet performace tied to the beastmastery trait. At 0, it was a portable corpse and at 16 (maximum) it was as broken as SoS.

As for GW2, you know that if you bother to put points into beastmastery the pets become tougher, do good damage and you can heal yourself for much more? I have 30 beastmastery and not only do my pets (per hit) do more damage than me (got 10 power and full solidiers) regardless of crits, but seldom get oneshotted and I can heal myself for over half my health using Heal as One. The beastmaster trait line isn’t that bad.

It’s arguably the best tree, rivalled only by Wilderness Survival.

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Division.9618

Division.9618

No horrible analogy. Here’s a better one.

It’s like ordering a bacon and jalapeno burger and then complaining about the jalapeno’s because there isn’t just a plain bacon burger on the menu. The worst part is the jalapeno’s are cooked into the patty so you can’t remove them.

Not all people play ranger because they want to be a beastmaster. Some people play it to be able to use nature magic (no druids in this game, so no other alternative). Some people play it to be great snipers and archers (warrior longbow is about AOE support and thief shortbow is about short range AOE and escaping). I personally play it because i like the idea of a speedy skillful swordsman. The warrior feels like a berserker and the guardian feels like a paladin. The ranger feels like a blademaster.

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

It’s like ordering a bacon and jalapeno burger and then complaining about the jalapeno’s because there isn’t just a plain bacon burger on the menu. The worst part is the jalapeno’s are cooked into the patty so you can’t remove them.

Not all people play ranger because they want to be a beastmaster. Some people play it to be able to use nature magic (no druids in this game, so no other alternative). Some people play it to be great snipers and archers (warrior longbow is about AOE support and thief shortbow is about short range AOE and escaping). I personally play it because i like the idea of a speedy skillful swordsman. The warrior feels like a berserker and the guardian feels like a paladin. The ranger feels like a blademaster.

Your analogy caters to what you want the Ranger to be. The official description of a Ranger describes an archer with a pet.

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Division.9618

Division.9618

Your analogy caters to what you want the Ranger to be. The official description of a Ranger describes an archer with a pet.

I’m aware of the official description. My analogy was about how rangers have things you can’t find in other classes, but we’re stuck with the most intrusive class mechanic in the game. If rangers had absolutely nothing setting them apart from say a thief other than pets, i would understand your argument, but the ranger is a very unique class. Simply look at all the 100% unique animations made purely for the ranger.

My argument is that we shouldn’t be about pets. The GW1 ranger had the option to drop pets and still be good, so we should too.

EDIT:
Something caught my eye from that wiki post.
“At one point in development, the ranger was split into two different professions, the warden and the marksman. Eventually these two were merged into the ranger again”
Too bad they were merged into ranger. I’m guessing warden was the sword/greatsword ranger and the marksman was the bow/axe ranger with pets.

(edited by Division.9618)

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

Some classes are forced to use the mechanic. In fact let me break it down

Guardians – Use it if you like but passively its always there sort of like a forever buff

Warriors – really its just another attack and there are bonuses for never using it if you trait that way.

Necromancers – Defensive tool to its core but not necessarily something you have to use (mm should understand this)

Mesmer – doesn’t have to use it but shatter is so good however there is nothing that forces you into it as you can spec away from using F1-F4

Engineer – the tool belt is full of just that tools. There is no reason not to use them.

Thief – Is not forced to stealth but it is balanced around being able to.

Ele – Can survive in 2 attune ments but honestly you are forced to as the class is balanced around swapping. Not swapping for most will likely equal swift defeat however you could sit with a staff in water all day long

Mesmer again – clones are required because not using clones is basically impossible and they account for too much of the dps of the class.

Which brings me to

Ranger – pets at the end of the day are a chunk of dps. Like attunements they require you to micro manage and like clones you depend on them for dps despite their kitteny AI.

Asking for a ranger without the pet is akin for an ele asking for a build with no swap or a mesmer saying they want a clone-less build. Its just not practical. The class is built as a pet class, the pet class. If you just want to be an archer warrior with a longbow or thief with a shortbow is what awaits you.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Soulfaye.1063

Soulfaye.1063

i remember seeing a good idea posted a while ago of making stow pet an ability giving the ranger a dps boost of say 40% or what ever the pet dps gives us at the cost of the utility of the pet
this would also justify the cool down already on stow pet traits are gonna be messed around with anyway according to devs as there ll over the place, would think this would fit in well and give the option to keep or lose pet

thoughts?…

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

It’s like ordering a cheeseburger only to find out the cheese is moldy and tastes like kitten. Is it wrong to ask for a better piece of cheese? NO!

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Panther Chameleon.8465

Panther Chameleon.8465

Then some people should play a Warrior using a rifle or a bow, an Engineer, or a Thief with a shortbow. There’s your choice to use a pet or not. Rangers are designed as a pet class, that’s how ANet intends for them to be played.

We (the players) should decide when to withdraw our ‘special’ pets. After all, there is a “stow pet” option that was clearly under developed for when we want to put something away that doesn’t mean we want it to randomly appear whenever the game feels like it’s necessary. If I’m trying to escape from a bad situation players can easily follow my trail if my pet is downed. Honestly, I’d rather have one pet and the option to use it when I see fit. I wouldn’t be surprised if the reason we lack godly burst because we can have 2 pets. Do other professions have low burst damge and long cooldowns because they have npcs? Absolutely not.

" I like to let people talk who like to talk. It makes it

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

I’m going to go ahead and be done with this conversation, because most players on the Ranger forums would rather complain about everything the profession doesn’t have instead of looking at the good things we do have.

“Thieves can do this…” or “Warriors are better at…” or “Necros don’t have to…”

It all gets really tiring and very old, very quick. Trying to help other players on the Ranger forums feels like standing up in front of a class of angry 3rd graders.

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Panther Chameleon.8465

Panther Chameleon.8465

Oh, okay that’s how it works. So, you can make a general statement in regards to pet mechanics claiming everything is working as intended and nobody can disagree with you. Then, make a bold statement for “most” of the Ranger players and end it with an insult. That’s really helpful. So, you don’t think a Ranger should be in complete control of his kit?

" I like to let people talk who like to talk. It makes it

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

Oh, okay that’s how it works. So, you can make a general statement in regards to pet mechanics claiming everything is working as intended and nobody can disagree with you. Then, make a bold statement for “most” of the Ranger players and end it with an insult. That’s really helpful. So, you don’t think a Ranger should be in complete control of his kit?

Nice try at trolling, sir. You obviously didn’t read any of the rest of the thread or you’d know where I stand. You are arguing just for the sake of arguing at this point.

I do think Rangers should be in complete control of their class mechanic, which is why I’ve stated time and time again that pets need improvement, especially F2 functionality.

I don’t, however, think that Rangers should be able to completely disregard their class mechanic just because they don’t want to have a pet. If you don’t want a pet, don’t play Ranger. It’s the class mechanic. That’s the bottom line.

Continue trolling, sir, and have an excellent day!

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Tyr.6097

Tyr.6097

Some people don’t like the plate classes, and thiefs are not the same like rangers.

Tyrs Klinge ~Thief~

Ranger without pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Letifer.4360

Letifer.4360

It breaks my <3 to say this but ANet should take a look at WoW Hunter pets and learn something there, the pet just feels right.

I would love to see the pet A.I. improved too:
Ex: pet attacks target, target try’s to run away, pet uses a CC to prevent that (the pet abilities that you can’t control like KD from dog etc).