Ranger worth it or worthless?

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

I have always thought that if you are in the middle of a zerg with a Ranger, you are doing it wrong….imho. I think Rangers have some deficiencies playing that style. Don’t try to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I think you bring more to the table playing as a predator hanging around the edges of a zerg picking people off …..especially thieves.

depends on your builds. A melee build is not going to work for “picking people off”. A signet build with longbow however will.

this is Build Wars 2, not “This is what i think i cannot do wars 2”

Well yea, obviously that type of build begins with LB and likely GS. A melee build is not likely to perform well on the front line of a zerg either.

this is Build Wars 2, not "This is what i think i cannot do wars 2

Really have no idea what you are trying to say there. ^^

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

I have always thought that if you are in the middle of a zerg with a Ranger, you are doing it wrong

i bolded the relevant part for you

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

I have always thought that if you are in the middle of a zerg with a Ranger, you are doing it wrong

You could go out into WvW without armor…….or run into the middle of a zerg dropping traps and swinging a GS. It doesn’t mean either is playing to a Rangers strength. Play as you please though. lol no one is stopping you.

Edit: To top it off, running into a zerg pretty much negates the pet. Other than stepping over a few traps for you they are irrelevant….more than usual.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

(edited by Forzani.2584)

in Ranger

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

You could go out into WvW without armor…….or run into the middle of a zerg dropping traps and swinging a GS. It doesn’t mean either is playing to a Rangers strength. Play as you please though. lol no one is stopping you.

Edit: To top it off, running into a zerg pretty much negates the pet. Other than stepping over a few traps for you they are irrelevant….more than usual.

Hmm, isn’t bear somewhat durable? I mean yes, there’s all those bearbow jokes and they’re poor in pve because dps is king, but in wvw zergs where dps is secondary and they have that condition removal, it seems like they could be useful.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarision.6347

Sarision.6347

I can see grizzly being useful, but Arctodus? The others (with maybe the exception of Murellow) might be useful if it weren’t for the atrocious CD.

in Ranger

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Oh yes, the brown bear, lol. I always thought that was the bear.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

Utility of bear in zerg is not only their F2 (and arctodus ice is pretty potent).
I love to send them ahead of the zerg to pop traps and marks and whatnot.
They take off the DPS my melee would be taking otherwise, and they are equipped to live through it.

Given pet’s skills are unreliable (as of now), I’m not much relying on dog’s family utilities (they often die before the skill fires, or the fight moved when they finally do.

I though bout moa for pre-fight buff, but they need to be in combat for the duration increase to work, so I just dropped it.

So depending on what my group needs of the day are, I run with distant pets (consistent damage and less prone to dying) and/or bears.

(Edit: For the one who stated we are problematic because we need other classes utilities to carry us, I’d say it’s the same for all classes. Necro often have to come in melee, and most opti guild won’t take the stability trait. So they rely on gard. Same for Ele, they need the stab, especially when going through tight spaces. On the other hand, War and gard alone wouldn’t hold. They need, amongst others, the water fields to get their health up. Rangers can fit into this synergy, but most people are just blindly discarding them as useless without even really looking at what they can bring…)

(edited by Jocksy.3415)

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

People that think LB Zerk Ranger has no place in zergs just simply have no idea at all. A Ranger with Eagle Eye, Piercing Arrows and LB can do massive damage against an enemy zerg while taking little himself. Its about situational awareness and looking for targets that are either low on health or being attacked by multiple people, then you pop RF and QZ. This is such a great tactic for taking out thieves, they are doing the exact same thing you are, except that they do not have that range. You can often down a thief or ele from full health with just one AA, then pop RF and QZ and they didn’t even see where it came from. If you are lucky enough to tab to a commander, well, start spamming F. 1500 range Barrage is just amazing too.

Another benefit is being able to attack routing people at 1500 range, while you may be in combat and unable to catch up, the others around you often are not and can catch the people (who are also now in combat) attempting to flee.

EotM is ridiculously fun with a LB ranger and canine pets, nothing quite like fearing people off the edges with your wolf or shooting several of them off with Point Blank Shot in one go!

in Ranger

Posted by: akallou.9704

akallou.9704

This video will give you a raw idea of the ranger’s potential as a solo roamer, although ranger is to me the one best zerg class (like a thief signet of malice) but everyone refuse to see this, the greatsword has a 1second evade each 3 hits, the cycle last 1.75sec to technically hittable for a minor ammount of time.. Yet you cant argue with a ranger hater he will be right no matter what.
Ranger just have to put their point in the right skill line unlike headless people running 30 30 10 0 0… or whatever… brainless shiiiiii!!iiit

Enjoy

in Ranger

Posted by: Valentin.2073

Valentin.2073

a ranger can still roam using a zerker build. roaming thieves can be outplayed or outdps’d by a zerker ranger. it’s a fight to the death and can last in less than a minute. a ranger that lacks damage will always be outdps’d by a zerker thief.

PVP Ranger: Prince Valentine, PVP Warrior: Prince of Hearts I, and PVP Mesmer: Prince Valentine I

in Ranger

Posted by: Daze.6914

Daze.6914

I’m the only ranger in my guild, that says it all.
I think that the profession will improve a lot when we will (finally!) be able to use our F2 ability whenever we want.
Last time I was engaged by a thief after a gvg fight and all my defensive/evade skills were in cooldown. I only had my wolf fear available, I pressed the F2 like a hundred times and it never kicked off. The thief ended killing me peacefully. I really hope this patch will change our life.

War Inc. Community [WIC]
Far Shiverpeaks
GW2 WvW - GW2 Gem Price

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

So, OP, I assume this is just for sPVP? I hear Spirit Rangers ain’t too bad in that aspect of the game.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.