Rangers and Short Bows

Rangers and Short Bows

in Ranger

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

I was doing a daily fractal run, just getting my 3 in right, should be an easy day and easy run, and then all of a sudden some guy in our groups flips out that one of the rangers used a shortbow, I mean he just totally lost his mind over this and dropped group.

Can someone explain that to me?

(for the record we completed the fractals just fine)

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Rangers and Short Bows

in Ranger

Posted by: DoogySnowStalker.2069

DoogySnowStalker.2069

Because Shortbow is a very under performing weapon, and diffiicult to even make it work properly due to its auto attack being very situational. I wish shortbow was a good weapon cause I’ve managed a 13k bleed tick on Moss Mang before, but that was only because he never took his back away from me the entire time.

Is a Warrior just a pet without a Ranger?

(edited by DoogySnowStalker.2069)

Rangers and Short Bows

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

That ranger wasn’t using the l33t zerker dps meta omg-we’re-going-to-waste-2-minutes-i-can’t-take-it!

Now to be fair, if the LFG was advertising a l33t speed run zerker meta etc etc, it’s poor form from the ranger. In any other case, it’s simply a minmaxer with kitten manners who ragequitted, thankfully sparing you his company.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Rangers and Short Bows

in Ranger

Posted by: AnariiUK.7409

AnariiUK.7409

It really depends on how the ranger was utilising the shortbow.

It’s a little ironic as Shortbow + Axe/Torch is the highest damage single-target setup that’s possible on ranger right now, especially since at mossman / bloomhunger you should have little issue shooting them in the back.

On the other hand, if the ranger was sitting at range on the other side of the arena shooting Mossman with a shortbow I can somewhat understand why that might annoy some people. The ranger would be doing next to no damage, not doing his/her job (Buffing allies) and risk moving Mossman around; which just makes the fight harder and more stressful for everyone else.

Rangers and Short Bows

in Ranger

Posted by: katz.8376

katz.8376

i’m the ranger in question. i don’t run a meta build by any stretch of the imagination.
i primarily roam in WvW, so i was running a hybrid druid that i joke that i abuse the kitten out of ancient seeds. lots of stuns and knockbacks for lots of immobilzations and bleeds, GS swap for mobility, a block, damage, and another stun. we were in Thaumanova reactor, and we hadn’t even gotten to the boss. i stepped out of the first room that you zone into, fired a poison volley to get some poison going followed up by a concussion shot to root and bleed, then swapped and swooped. by the time the first group of mobs was dead, the guy was like "Why is our ranger using shortbow?" everyone else in the group was like "uhhhh..... so?" and i said "i’m hybrid. i have every weapon... i can swap to something else if it’s really that big a deal." someone else said "if you don’t like it, quit", so he quit. when we got to boss i swapped GS for LB. as STIHL said... we completed just fine.

Druids of Dhuum [DoD]|Rally Bait [RALY]
~o hai there :D~ LONG LIVE ET

Rangers and Short Bows

in Ranger

katz.8376

and no, it wasn’t a speedrun

Rangers and Short Bows

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Should have been like, It’s condi meta zerker boy, keep up! Harhar.

Rangers and Short Bows

in Ranger

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

Should have been like, It’s condi meta zerker boy, keep up! Harhar.

LOL, that would have been, I was not the ranger, so, had no idea what was going on, I was guy saying “So what?”

But the sheer insanity of his response to the short bow made me come here and ask what was up.

Thank you everyone for the Responses.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Rangers and Short Bows

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

Yup, it’s pretty much explained already.
The guy was an arrogant shnap who got stuck in a time & space dimension of pre-HoT.

Nothing game-breaking.
But on the other hand, regardless of how much people want to defend the ranger, I’d bet 9 out of my 10 fingers that the Ranger holding onto shortbow had literally no idea how a Ranger is played (which shouldn’t matter since no one proposed a Zerk/Speed run but on the other hand is a nuisance all in all considering that the Ranger wasted some time of 4 other people – which is the same as telling he doesn’t care about them).
And a fact that Shortbow Bleeder is viable has nothing to do with that.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

(edited by Tragic Positive.9356)

Rangers and Short Bows

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I was doing a daily fractal run, just getting my 3 in right, should be an easy day and easy run, and then all of a sudden some guy in our groups flips out that one of the rangers used a shortbow, I mean he just totally lost his mind over this and dropped group.

Can someone explain that to me?

(for the record we completed the fractals just fine)

It’s because the ranger wasn’t using the “optimal” physical damage weapon(s). From my experience shortbow is fine as long as you’re in a more condi or hybrid damage build, which that ranger may have very well been in and would’ve made the weapon totally fine. However, that guy doesn’t know that, and probably got really upset for absolutely no reason.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Rangers and Short Bows

in Ranger

katz.8376

But on the other hand, regardless of how much people want to defend the ranger, I’d bet 9 out of my 10 fingers that the Ranger holding onto shortbow had literally no idea how a Ranger is played ...

while i know where you’re coming from.. (i’ve killed my fair share of rangers with absolutely no clue what they were doing... even ones running the latest "meta" in WvW and PvP) i’ve mained ranger since about a week after i started the game. i have 4 different rangers, each with a totally different build. i know the ins and outs and strengths and weaknesses of every ranger weapon, and for my main i have deliberately chosen that weapon set. this wasn’t one of those L2play times... it was just someone being an elitist kitten.

Rangers and Short Bows

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

But on the other hand, regardless of how much people want to defend the ranger, I’d bet 9 out of my 10 fingers that the Ranger holding onto shortbow had literally no idea how a Ranger is played

What a kittenload of elitist crap. I didn’t expect this from you.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Rangers and Short Bows

in Ranger

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Yup, it’s pretty much explained already.
The guy was an arrogant shnap who got stuck in a time & space dimension of pre-HoT.

Nothing game-breaking.
But on the other hand, regardless of how much people want to defend the ranger, I’d bet 9 out of my 10 fingers that the Ranger holding onto shortbow had literally no idea how a Ranger is played (which shouldn’t matter since no one proposed a Zerk/Speed run but on the other hand is a nuisance all in all considering that the Ranger wasted some time of 4 other people – which is the same as telling he doesn’t care about them).
And a fact that Shortbow Bleeder is viable has nothing to do with that.

Most of the time the issue don’t come from the player that use an “exotic” build (read uncommon) but the player that is narrow minded and start to rant about what other players do.

I’m telling this because this is a common situation and it happen to me. I was playing a condi mesmer build in fractal (yes, I’ve done it) and everything worked perfectly until we reached the middle of the 2nd fractal and a revenant start to rant about me playing a condimesmer. I left asap and hoped onto another party after a moment. From what the other players of my first party told me, I finished my 3 fractal before them. Beside, the guy that was ranting about me was always down.

Most of the time narrow minded player are just bad player that need to be carried by their party and are unsure about whether they will be carried by player that play “exotic” build or not.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Rangers and Short Bows

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

But on the other hand, regardless of how much people want to defend the ranger, I’d bet 9 out of my 10 fingers that the Ranger holding onto shortbow had literally no idea how a Ranger is played

What a kittenload of elitist crap. I didn’t expect this from you.

If you say so.
… I based it on statistics. From all the rangers I have ever experienced in my daily fractal runs – I haven’t met a single Ranger with Shortbow who knew what he was doing.
And every single Shortbow ranger I tried to teach something laughed me off for being an elitist and told me he could do anything he wants with his life, so Magi Shortbow with Brown Bear it is (exaggerating naturally).

Literally none of them used the weapon correctly. Vast majority of them were running vitality builds or something while running Signet of Renewal (yes, in fractals) and other stuff.

There is a reason why people never wanted a Ranger in their group pre-Druid. Even though we have been meta long before HoT came here – Rangers were kicked from groups because players sucked. And you’d rather get a mediocre warrior doing his job than risk that tiny chance of getting a decent ranger.

I don’t have to be an Elitist to say the truth out loud. Because you know I’m right.

P.S. @katz if you were the ranger – I’m glad I was wrong. That’s why I didn’t bet all 10 of my fingers.

(edited by Tragic Positive.9356)

Rangers and Short Bows

in Ranger

katz.8376

P.S. @katz if you were the ranger – I’m glad I was wrong. That’s why I didn’t bet all 10 of my fingers.

yep. i was the shortbow using ranger in question. you have one finger left, use it wisely XD

it’s less about what you say, and more about how you say it. say “i’d bet my left kitten that the ranger sucked because all rangers seem to suck” makes all rangers, good and bad, kittened off. saying “i’m pleasantly surprised when i see a ranger that can beat me in PvP/WvW” seems nicer (heck if i know, but i haven’t kittened anyone off yet that i know of. lol) because it’s relative. a bad player can say “well how good are they?… maybe i can beat them…” and they don’t feel bad, and the few really good ranger players all nod knowingly and say “mmm, yup.”

o well. i’ma keep doing my thing. in fact, soon i’m gonna be even more obnoxious about it… i’m workin on the unicorn bow! lololol.

Attachments:

Rangers and Short Bows

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Oh, now I see, I translated your former post totally wrong. My bad here.

Well, yup, I’m aware I don’t really always say things in the nicest way. But then again, what would devil be if everybody liked him?

You go get’em tiger. I’ll be rooting for you. I like people who follow results instead of “meta”. Even though I don’t particularly like unicorns. I can’t really have my fingers crossed but I’ll keep my thumb up – that’s something I still can do.

Rangers and Short Bows

in Ranger

katz.8376

i like unicorns... i have a whole collection of stuffed ones.. what can i say? >.> LOL