Rangers and rifles

Rangers and rifles

in Ranger

Posted by: Genesis.2130

Genesis.2130

In my opinion, rangers should be able to use rifles. Seeing as their a mostly ranged class, it would just make sense. Warriors can use longbows, so why cant rangers use rifles? What do you guys think?

Rangers and rifles

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

Theres something familar about this thread….. I just cant put my finger on it….

Oh wait

But in all seriousness, this has been suggested 100 times over. Let me give you a summary of how this thread will go:

Half the people with love the idea because they see rangers in terms of army rangers or RANGErs.

Half the people will hate the idea because they see rangers as masters of nature and therefore using a mechanical weapon is stupid.

This thread will then progress to people suggesting other weapons they want such as a melee staff or mainhand dagger before finall someone points out that ANet plans in time to give all weapons to all classes.

/thread

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Cufufalating.8479)

Rangers and rifles

in Ranger

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

Theres something familar about this thread….. I just cant put my finger on it….

Oh wait

But in all seriousness, this has been suggested 100 times over. Let me give you a summary of how this thread will go:

Half the people with love the idea because they see rangers in terms of army rangers or RANGErs.

Half the people will hate the idea because they see rangers as masters of nature and therefore using a mechanical weapon is stupid.

This thread will then progress to people suggesting other weapons they want such as a melee staff or mainhand dagger before finall someone points out that ANet plans in time to give all weapons to all classes.

/thread

You missed a step.

-Where people start trying to define the word “Ranger” and apply that to how the class should be.

But in all seriousness….No. For 100 and 1 reasons; No.
Will we eventually get one? Probably. Don’t hold your breath.
Devs seem to do a lot of back and forth with ideas though. First it was, Ranger will never have one. Then it was, “We’ll be working very hard to expand the available weapons for every profession.”. Now, from some 3rd party interview with no dev quotes its, “Every weapon for every profession!!!!”

If you reallllly want a rifle… go play a Warrior because it will probably be a very long time till Rangers see much of anything.

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

Rangers and rifles

in Ranger

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

In general: “Ranged Class” does not compute. It drives me nuts how people can’t stop identifying classes this way. I feel I should thank WoW and its atrocious class design paradigms for that. And for the love of all things holy the term “Ranger” has nothing to do with ranged combat before anyone starts that crap. This is something you should know by third grade.

To the OP: Rangers are woodsmen and archers, not ranged weaponmasters. They already get more versatility than other classes already by having axe, shortbow, and longbow. Does the Rifle fit? I suppose in some senses it does, but no more than many other weapons fit other professions they don’t have access to currently.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Rangers and rifles

in Ranger

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

In my opinion, rangers should be able to use rifles. Seeing as their a mostly ranged class, it would just make sense. Warriors can use longbows, so why cant rangers use rifles? What do you guys think?

In addtion, Warriors uses Rifle (Arena net twist)

But Ranger in the other-hand, is the class (True to its core) is the class to posses Rifle, beside Engineer.

Ranger class not being able to equip Rifle yet Warrior does, is Baffling.

This again is another case of Ranger class being Intentionally designed toi Fail.

What I find baffling also is that, whenver Arena net speak of any Improvement to the Ranger class; they always make Ranger class in comparrison to the Warrior class.

Well shouldn’t be Suprising No?

They won’t improve our pets attacks and our pets ability to ‘stick’ to our targets, due to being Warrior-like.

I’m sure Arena net had thought of the Idea of giving Rangers Rifle, but as again, it would make Rangers only like a Warrior.

In other word..

‘Leave all those to the Warrior class; we don’t want Rangers to be like Warrior class no matter what.

I’m sure you know, Warrior have “pers” as well on their Elite skills.

Seriously

If you compare Ranger to Warrior.., we are very similar

In conclusion

Warrior is what Ranger should’ve been..

(I Promise You.. very soon, they will have Stealth as well.)

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Rangers and rifles

in Ranger

Castaliea.3156

But Ranger in the other-hand, is the class (True to its core) is the class to posses Rifle, beside Engineer.

This again is another case of Ranger class being Intentionally designed toi Fail.

What I find baffling also is that, whenver Arena net speak of any Improvement to the Ranger class; they always make Ranger class in comparrison to the Warrior class.

They won’t improve our pets attacks and our pets ability to ‘stick’ to our targets, due to being Warrior-like.

I’m sure Arena net had thought of the Idea of giving Rangers Rifle, but as again, it would make Rangers only like a Warrior.

In other word..

‘Leave all those to the Warrior class; we don’t want Rangers to be like Warrior class no matter what.

Seriorsly,

In conclusion

There was a very legitimate reason they specifically decided not to go with a Rife Rangers. Because, opposite of what you said, Ranger at it’s core is against rifles. They did not want the Ranger to be embracing this destructive technology and instead be a more spiritual woodsman which of course is the complete opposite of that weapon.

Maybe we’ll get the weapon one day, maybe not. Lore evolves and maybe one day a Ranger will pick up a Rifle and start to move away from the spirits of nature but that would start to contradict the very basis of the class so who knows.

My resting statement;
It’s not what the class needs at the moment so I wouldn’t put much effort into it.

Guild Leader

Rangers and rifles

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarision.6347

Sarision.6347

If OP can come up with a reasonable skillset for the rifle (not ranged DPS), then I’m all for it. If not, then I’m going to maintain the status quo with weapon selection (with the exception of 3rd mainhand weapon),

Rangers and rifles

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

There is no place for rifle within the already existing weapon skills. Between the longbow and shortbow, there is nothing left for the rifle to bring as a unique weaponset.

If anything, the ranger class is desperately lacking in control based weaponsets on the power side. Personally, for nostalgic reasons, I would love to see a hammer.

However, if somebody is creative enough to put the design themes that the current weapons lack into a reasonable skillset for other weapons (aka rifle), there probably would be less opposition to the idea of rangers receiving a rifle, as the core argument against rifle is that is doesn’t make sense thematically (it would need to be similar to the harpoon gun to make sense), and that it would just be another ranged weapon with no unique purpose.

However, if ranger rifles functioned as shotguns, maybe with a basic autoattack, a block/evade, an immobilize, a blowback, and a big damage point blank attack with a possible stun, I might finally get on board with the idea (same tools I would want on the hammer).

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

Rangers and rifles

in Ranger

Castaliea.3156

There is no place for rifle within the already existing weapon skills. Between the longbow and shortbow, there is nothing left for the rifle to bring as a unique weaponset.

If anything, the ranger class is desperately lacking in control based weaponsets on the power side. Personally, for nostalgic reasons, I would love to see a hammer.

However, if somebody is creative enough to put the design themes that the current weapons lack into a reasonable skillset for other weapons (aka rifle), there probably would be less opposition to the idea of rangers receiving a rifle, as the core argument against rifle is that is doesn’t make sense thematically (it would need to be similar to the harpoon gun to make sense), and that it would just be another ranged weapon with no unique purpose.

However, if ranger rifles functioned as shotguns, maybe with a basic autoattack, a block/evade, an immobilize, a blowback, and a big damage point blank attack with a possible stun, I might finally get on board with the idea (same tools I would want on the hammer).

Screw it man. Bring back the Bunny Thumpers!

Guild Leader

Rangers and rifles

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

I know, especially because of how little access any class has to hammers. Heck, I’d even take a revived Bunny Thumper build with a mace mainhand lol.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

Rangers and rifles

in Ranger

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

I know, especially because of how little access any class has to hammers. Heck, I’d even take a revived Bunny Thumper build with a mace mainhand lol.

lol

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

Rangers and rifles

in Ranger

Posted by: sanictoofast.9317

sanictoofast.9317

In other word..

Seriously

In conclusion

What the kitten did you just kittening say about me, you little kitten? I’ll have you know I BRRZRRKRR top of my class in the COF SPEEDRUNS, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on TEQUATL, and I have over 300 confirmed WVW kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top COMMANDER in the entire JQ armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the kitten out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my kittening words. You think you can get away with saying that kitten to me over the Internet? Think again, kittener. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of MODS across ANET and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, kitten. The storm that wipes out the pathetikittentle thing you call your life. You’re kittening dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bear form. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire kitten nal of the Jade Quarry Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable kitten off the face of WvW, you little kitten. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe cat would have held your kittening tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you godkitten kitten. I will kitten fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re kittening dead, kitto.

Attachments: