Rangers are Real

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: Gold Recluse.9128

Gold Recluse.9128

No magic needed. It’s all Skill, baby!

This fellow’s been studying old documents and developing his own skills to match what he reads. Here he demonstrates that GW2’s Rangers’ abilities are not at all out of the realm of possibility.

I have always enjoyed playing my Ranger, esp. lately. In the back of my mind, though, I sometimes thought, “Nobody could shoot that fast”, etc. Now I can put those thoughts to rest.

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

the only thing amazing i saw was his accuracy. If only he didn’t look like a wild magikarp when he tried this stuff.

Bad Elementalist

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: Hepatolith.6389

Hepatolith.6389

the only thing amazing i saw was his accuracy. If only he didn’t look like a wild magikarp when he tried this stuff.

Who cares when noone in front of your bow can tell how you looked afterwards

Cayline Oakheart, Ranger – Drakkar Lake
Covenant of Bloodthirst [IvsI],
Favorable Winds [Wind]

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

This fellow’s been studying old documents and developing his own skills to match what he reads. Here he demonstrates that GW2’s Rangers’ abilities are not at all out of the realm of possibility.

I know right?!

It’s what I was saying for years now… But when I say to my friends that I sometimes see people walking on the street with a Jaguar and 3 spirits following them, they tell me to lay off the drugs…

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

That was bad kitten

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

He even uses rapid fire :o Amazing – I’d like to use bow in dungeons now … Maybe the shortbow damage should be increased and be your semi cleaving weapon with something like penetration or splitter idk … fantasy

great video, ty!

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

Awesome video +1

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: Siroso.2769

Siroso.2769

It can also be done from horseback or from a motorbike…

Mounts (and the asuran racial technological mount) confirmed!

<— Broskies /Lulzranger

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

I have always enjoyed playing my Ranger, esp. lately. In the back of my mind, though, I sometimes thought, “Nobody could shoot that fast”, etc. Now I can put those thoughts to rest.

After seeing this…. Rangers must be buffed even more!

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

These are the REAL Archers I wish to become in GW2 for yeeears.
Would sacrifice my whole character to this path… to kill “Druids”!

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

Thanks alot for sharing this!

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

No magic needed, except for the magic of film editing. I want to see how many times he failed at many of these before he got it right.

I did try shooting my bow like this at the range a few days ago after seeing this video pop up on other sites. Its a little tough at longer ranges (like 50+ meter longer ranges). Short distance , it was easier since it took one motion to get an arrow, draw, and fire, instead of 3. Shooting was much faster. Instead of 6 arrows in a minute, I was shooting 6 in about 25 seconds, and normally 5 out of 6 hit the target at 20 yards. yeah….not so good at shooting fast (taking my time, there’s no question about hitting dead center/near dead center every shot, especially at 20 yards). With a lot more practice, I think shooting as fast as a Rapid fire is very possible.

I was using an American Flatbow and a Recurve bow. Both bows are over 60 inches long, which greatly increased the amount of time it took. In order to shoot faster, I’m going to need a much shorter bow.

(Also. we need this guy to drink a dozen red bulls and see if firing as fast as Rapid Fire with Quickness is possible!).

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: Varrg.2704

Varrg.2704

the amount of kitten this video caused among the self proclaimed medieval warfare experts and tactical geniuses a.k.a neckbearded Warhammer/Magic the Gathering players is simply amazing.

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Chrispy.5641

If only there was an archer version of Skallagrim to give his normally spot on, but often hilariously inaccurate commentary.

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

No magic needed, except for the magic of film editing. I want to see how many times he failed at many of these before he got it right.

I guess they didn’t had mutch opportunity to fail catching and firing incomming arrows.
Once I’ve seen a little show of this guys, a presentation. There were no fails then, and during a real battle / era, I bet they would do it even better.

Also, try Hungarian recurve bows

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: Harnel.6810

Harnel.6810

You know, this thread reminds me of the old longbow animations. It used to be that you’d actually reach up to pull out a new arrow from your (nonexistant) quiver before firing again, but then they sped it up so that it was a bit more competitive, and it cut out the actual drawing of the arrow. kinda interesting comparison there.

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

No barrage, I’m not impressed!
;-)

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

;-)

Watch again then

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

;-)

check the long range shooting , he first shot one higher and one lower judging the distance + draw power he can get two arrows to hit the target at the same time , so if he did this Measurement while firing 5 arrows per wave each 5 arrows will land at ether or pretty much near the same time per wave.

but to do so he will have to stand still for a arrow supply stuck into the ground to keep the waves consistant. Bingo. 101 of archery.

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: imarah.7940

imarah.7940

The video is fun to watch, but is debunked here: http://geekdad.com/2015/01/danish-archer/

Rangers are real, but idk that this guy is one. Where he mentions “discovering forgotten techniques” is the part where I realized this guy definitely doesn’t know his history. That “forgotten” knowledge is still practiced to this day by archers in the Middle East and Africa.

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

im not condoing his practices or anything but the article isnt well constructed , it just points out information lars mentions.
He mentions them incorrectly like the “forrgotten technics” then shows images that are Much older than the Western indian in the picture (that also has the Arrow mounted on the left of the bow? not a strong argument really) already draw as if hunting wildlife where you have to be still, not to disturb said creature and since he is wearing what i would call 17th-18th century clothing i would debunk that links sources , since lars was Referencing somthing about Tribal wars that go way back to B.C times egypt and other forms before the art of war was founded around the 1100’s , that trained with efficiency bows, swords,spears, cavalry soon to the basis all wars are fort on for the next comming hundreds of years and effected modern times too on how we conduct war.

Guns became the norm because it is much safer to fire at a distance to be more effective, so did bows instead of doing the same the technics to counter guns became fire faster get close , but even before that most keeps or camps were never so far away to warrent time to aim or draw the bow fully and it became more effective to fire quickly and as that need faded away because of the gun , the art of combat archery (not the rank and file) broken down to modern archey as a sport became a stand/target shooting is its most common form.

even if it is still preacticed to this day by a majority it is forgotten since it is no longer common or uncommon to know these facts (if you did not do any research to start with or did a Uni course on the art of war and its history of tactics/weapon use)
i did pay attention to historical weapons / technics and learned that nothing is ever forgotten just misplaced during the course of history, and lars did not define his point clearly enough.

the technics are useful look at how Eastern archers worked back in the 1100’s to 1400’s they where scouts, horse back close range firing samurai (they still had there swords), back then archers did not stay in one spot for long as most fights were between clans/tribes of small or medium sizes and did not bring large forces untill the western war influence came too with ranked fire for efficiency with numbers of soilders , soon adopted this tactic for use with bows before they had access to guns (wars are hard lack of supplies) what we see today is simply a sport formal standing where past technics are not of practice so target shooting has become the most commonly known over the world emulating ranked/file shooting though some places still train in these Ancient ways of archery usally in traditions or clans of the 3rd world.

lars may have not got his information across correctly but it is certainly not incorrect.

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Chrispy.5641

The article that was linked isn’t actually wrong either. The part where they talk about piercing chainmail is true. a 5 year old can pierce chainmail at those short distances, even with broadhead arrows. And considering the shot distance the guy was shooting at, it would have been easy.

The part about the quivers is also spot on. If your arrows are on your back, the amount of steps it takes to set the arrow, draw and fire is only two steps/motions. If your arrows are sticking vertically off the ground or are in a quiver around your waist (like mine usually are), it takes 3 steps/motions to fire.

The part where they talk about arrows always moving right, no matter its position on the bow is definitely true. When I was at the range a few days ago practicing this technique, all of my arrows did go right, instead of being more center. Obviously you can compensate for this by aiming more to the left, which I had to do, otherwise I wouldn’t hit the target at all. The information is still not wrong, and is the reason why right handed archers shoot with the arrow resting on the left side of the bow.

The article is a bit too critical of Lars, as even with the fast shots and cuts, he is obviously a skilled archer, even though most of the shooting he demonstrated is somewhat….sloppy….for someone as skilled as him.

Also, try Hungarian recurve bows

I’ll actually have one in about three months.

Also, a Hungarian bow is actually the same length as the two bows I own (about 62 inches). Its draw weight is heavier (20 lbs heavier). It doesn’t have an arrow rest to hold the arrows off of my hand (the other two do), which might be more of a deciding factor than the actual length of the bow. I’ll find out in a few months.

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Also need to consider draw weight… todays bows are usually about 60lbs for adult, english long bows had a draw of 180lbs. Not many today can wield one, they trained from childhood. So a bit impractical to compare. Also, hence why fire arms took over, much easier to use. Also… there was no way to use a longbow on a horse.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

Most people are always jealous of people more skilled then they are thats what I chalk most of the criticisms of Lars up to.

Rangers are Real

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

hahahaaha after actually watching that video I wonder why anyone even comments at all… blindly spin and shoot and incoming arrow at 50’. come on. really. he moves slightly more coordinated than the lightsaber kid. The magic of video…

Most people are always jealous of people more skilled then they are thats what I chalk most of the criticisms of Lars up to.

I hope youre kidding.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry