Rangers are finally in demand.

in Ranger

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

Something odd has happened…Rangers are now actually wanted in Dungeons and other group based runs.. Yes there has been a lot of tears about omg LB OP, but it really isn’t. The fact is, the perception of Rangers has been negative for a long time now and these buffs were much needed. Warriors, Guards and Ele’s will always be welcomed and in demand, but it is so cool to lift one of the most vilified classes up into a decent place after nearly 2 years.

But the buffs are NOT OP. They ,merely lift us up to a decent level. Plus it is very very easy for a LB ranger to commit suicide with reflects..Even tonight Kholer in AC wiped me out with his reflects….I’m not even used to the changes myself. Once the dust settles I think people will get used to the changes and easily counteract the Longbow.

SO I really hope Anet does not do any panicky nerfs or debuffs. Yes there is a lot of rage about the levelling changes, but imo and from what I am seeing ingame, the CLASS changes are mostly fair and well balanced.

Thanks for finally lifting us Rangers out of the mire Anet

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

People heard that Ranger has damage!

So they thought “dang it, that burst is good, Ranger is good!”

Don’t try to prove them wrong. Enjoy it for now, until math comes.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Posted by: Ciucan.5092

Ciucan.5092

Talking only for the PvE side of things,I am extremely pleased that rangers are back in the game as I constantly see alot of threads with complainers desiring nerfs,etc..
After 2 years playing my ranger main I can finally state mathematically,longbow zerker can outdps most classes with ease:)

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

In dungeons?? In wvw i can see how our quicker burst is useful, but what changed for dungeons apart from the frost spirit being nerfed?

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in Ranger

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

If this is true, it proves how bad the playerbase really is. Ranger was in a better spot before the update because of the Frost Spirit.

LB “buff” means nothing. If you use LB in dungs I would immediatelly kick (and my main is a ranger)

(edited by Yelloweyedemon.2860)

in Ranger

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

If this is true, it proves how bad the playerbase really is. Ranger was in a better spot before the update because of the Frost Spirit.

LB “buff” means nothing. If you use LB in dungs I would immediatelly kick (and my main is a ranger)

The LB buff means a lot, now it’s part of the best melee dps rotation because of the super-massive initial burst.
I recommend you to check out this video if you don’t believe me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGUQgncRlMY&feature=youtu.be

I’m sad that you would kick me out of dungeons, what’s even more sad that I’M pretty sure I’m gonna get kicked out several times for having a bow equipped :d

(edited by Sina.9208)

in Ranger

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

Everyone is looking at personal burst DPS right now, it’s pretty obvious that post patch we have a net loss in party DPS if the encounter is long enough.

On the other side of the coin DPS goes through the roof in short boss fights with trash/skips/time gates to get your cooldowns off like CoE and AC(was already the case before the patch but buffed some more with an additional 10% mod on top of the SoTW build prepatch).

Also, if thief is dropped for an engi in a party comp then ranger is the best candidate to pick up conjures.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ciucan.5092

Ciucan.5092

Then,my friend, I guess you really are limited in knowledge and perspective about your class,kicking someone just because he uses a LB just proves how ridiculous the player base really is.

Forget the buffs/nerfs of LB/Frost Spirit,the choice of weaponry is strictly subjective…

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

In dungeons?? In wvw i can see how our quicker burst is useful, but what changed for dungeons apart from the frost spirit being nerfed?

Barrage → Rapid Fire while using SotW and QZ, then swap to sword and axe and use path of scars on cooldown. Use warhorn to stack might before engaging.

That’s how the burst is usefull.

in Ranger

Lazze.9870

Educate yourself, then. The current best dps rotation in shorter fights against single targets is to use barrage and rapid fire, then swap to sword auto and use path of scars on cooldown.

Using the longbow doesn’t mean you’re gonna stick with it and use the autoattack.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

in Ranger

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

Barrage -> Rapid Fire while using SotW and QZ, then swap to sword and axe and use path of scars on cooldown. Use warhorn to stack might before engaging.

It really depends on your party and the encounter, if you’re pugging normally or not in an optimized group(the situation for most players) and your party takes forever to kill a boss you are better off with Sword + Axe/Torch/Warhorn/Dagger off hands unless you need the block on GS.

in Ranger

Lazze.9870

Barrage -> Rapid Fire while using SotW and QZ, then swap to sword and axe and use path of scars on cooldown. Use warhorn to stack might before engaging.

It really depends on your party and the encounter, if you’re pugging normally or not in an optimized group(the situation for most players) and your party takes forever to kill a boss you are better off with Sword + Axe/Torch/Warhorn/Dagger off hands unless you need the block on GS.

That’s self-explanatory if you have a single clue on how to play the class.

I was simply explaining how the longbow is usefull for its initial burst. Rangers that consistently carry the same weapons into every fight regardless of the encounter and the party comp are just bad. That goes for most classes.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

The current best dps rotation in shorter fights against single targets is to use barrage and rapid fire, then swap to sword auto and use path of scars on cooldown.

Actually you’ll do slightly better leading off with a regular autoattack. Precise Strike means the first hit is guaranteed be a crit, so you want that on the 0.9 coefficient autoattack, instead of a 0.4 Barrage or 0.375 RF.

Properly placing the Barrage circle becomes more complicated though, since the target mob will be moving towards you after the first hit, before the Barrage starts to fall and cripple. It’s not so bad once you get a feel for it, but will likely result in lower damage when you’re first learning it (Barrage circle isn’t properly placed so mob walks out of it before Barrage ends).

in Ranger

Yelloweyedemon.2860

I don’t mean that I would kick someone because he use LB, I mean that I would kick someone if he only used LB. Plus short fights mean really nothing. You can complete them with the worst party.

But I’m not going to pick a signet LB ranger to do high level fractals period. 99% of the pug rangers I encountered, were with LB, 3/3 signets, probably heal as one, and some tanky pet. Even if your dps is through the roof, you offer 0 help to the party.

So stop flaming me for saying I would kick those people from my party. Ranger in general got a massive nerf in this update because of frost spirit as far as PvE goes.

LB as a secondary weapon was always a good choice if you knew how to use it, but most don’t. Especially now that everyone dusts of his/her ranger and grabs a bow in order to be able to kill normal pve mobs in 2.5 secs.

in Ranger

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

True, rangers are in a pretty bad spot for dungeons now. Their burst is nice, but other classes burst is better, and they contribute much more. Doesn’t affect pugs that much thanks to their personal dps buff, but it’s still a nerf.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

It’s not like parties would be better off running 5 rangers with the LB changes and a working FS, you’d still be best off with a single ranger! There is just no excuse for the overall nerf to rangers in PvE, makes no sense.

in Ranger

Yelloweyedemon.2860

True, rangers are in a pretty bad spot for dungeons now. Their burst is nice, but other classes burst is better, and they contribute much more. Doesn’t affect pugs that much thanks to their personal dps buff, but it’s still a nerf.

Someone who speaks logic…

I’m tired of this “whoo rangers are awesome now” because of a buff to LB which results to just a small personal dps boost.

Rangers are in a worse spot than what they were before update.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Personal DPS has gone up with lb buff and predators onslaught.

Team DPS is down thanks to frost nerf…

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Keep in mind that Firey Greatsword got hefty nerfs, so the value of personal DPS as opposed to group DPS boost has gone up dramatically. You no longer have the FGS covering weaker weapon skills.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Ranger

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

Keep in mind that Firey Greatsword got hefty nerfs, so the value of personal DPS as opposed to group DPS boost has gone up dramatically. You no longer have the FGS covering weaker weapon skills.

% wise the value would have been the same, simply ppl are doing less dps overall.

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

I don’t mean that I would kick someone because he use LB, I mean that I would kick someone if he only used LB. Plus short fights mean really nothing. You can complete them with the worst party.

But I’m not going to pick a signet LB ranger to do high level fractals period. 99% of the pug rangers I encountered, were with LB, 3/3 signets, probably heal as one, and some tanky pet. Even if your dps is through the roof, you offer 0 help to the party.

So stop flaming me for saying I would kick those people from my party. Ranger in general got a massive nerf in this update because of frost spirit as far as PvE goes.

LB as a secondary weapon was always a good choice if you knew how to use it, but most don’t. Especially now that everyone dusts of his/her ranger and grabs a bow in order to be able to kill normal pve mobs in 2.5 secs.

Yeah. Agreed. If we get a pug and get a ranger then he pops in with Bearbow and doesn’t immediately change weapons I kick without question.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Sadly, rangers still have LB#4 and abuse of this skill in dungeon is a really good enough reason for a party kick. And don’t give me the “no skilled ranger use it” argument. Actually most rangers you encounter in pug can’t restrain themselve to use it whenever it’s of CD.

This Buff to LB, will naturally raise the ranger hate only because of that point. Remember LB#4 (worst skill to spam in dungeon).

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wraith.9426

Wraith.9426

Remember LB#4 (worst skill to spam in dungeon).

Unless you’re using it to pin a boss against a wall.

Blackgate ~~[Ons]laught~~

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Uh, melee should be pinning it against the wall…

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Ranger

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

axe got better too ya know… plus signets now work for not just your pet but you as well. I remember one of those signets giving a 50% dmg boost and another a 30% dmg boost… bash-maul combo is strong, have had it hit for 13k dmg before the patch

Also ranger is super popular in pvp nowadays. Seeing about a 100% increase of rangers in matches. Sometimes even half of the players in a match play ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

axe got better too ya know… plus signets now work for not just your pet but you as well. I remember one of those signets giving a 50% dmg boost and another a 30% dmg boost… bash-maul combo is strong, have had it hit for 13k dmg before the patch

Also ranger is super popular in pvp nowadays. Seeing about a 100% increase of rangers in matches. Sometimes even half of the players in a match play ranger.

Before the FS fix, I actually ran 2-3x signets LB/GS cuz I was just doing sick damage. I felt like a dweeb rocking all those signets, but SoW + SoH + Maul + pet F2 = monster damage. Throw QZ on top of that and you’re churning out some constant high numbers.

Makes the LB pretty awesome, but it’s still GS or sword in dungeons imo.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

If you do stick in longbow, you are reliably (and trivially) keeping up 10 stacks of vulnerability on the target with Rapid Fire. If you combine that and Spirit, that’s +17% damage for the whole group thanks to the Ranger. That’s looking good fellas.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

Uh, melee should be pinning it against the wall…

well the Better term if you think about it is to maneuver the boss into a corner using the knockback.

in Ranger

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

ill just point out that an axe using BM may actualy outdps sword when it comes to pet damage by far unless the team got a war spamming 25 might for everyone or something of the like

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Might spamming is pretty common place, I find my PUGs usually have too much might. Combine that with fortifying bond, sword giving your pet might, and RaO on bosses, and I don’t see axe having a place in dungeon runs. Also that’s just looking at pets, sword obviously does a lot more damage for the player.