Rangers are not allowed in speed runs...

in Ranger

Posted by: choon.6308

choon.6308

This is what someone said to me when I wanted to join his dungeon.

Do all people think rangers are a dead weight in dungeons? With shortbow I spam 1.5k crits and that will be even higher when I get better gear…

in Ranger

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

Because the usual setup 4 warriors 1 mesmer is far better in terms of damage and speed, people don’t care that you can get the job done, they care about doing it as fast as possible in as little time as possible, so yeah most people consider us to be dead weight, and pretty worthless when comparing our damage to that of a warriors 100b… Sad but true, so until ANet actually makes each and every class a welcomed addition to ANY group setting, we’re pretty much going to have to suffer from being bullied and thought of as the worst prof in the game.

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

in Ranger

Posted by: Nevermore.3820

Nevermore.3820

You’re asking two very different questions here, so let me try and answer them in order.

People that run speed runs and tell classes other the Warriors and Mesmer’s that they are not allowed are jerks; they are lazy and are looking for the fastest route to the minimum reward so they can achieve the minimum again and again.

Generally speaking these runs are path 1 of CoF but could be other dungeons as well. Sometimes you run into peeps doing speed runs in which everyone is welcome but require you to at least know the dungeon. This type of run is more about going quickly and skipping as many of the trash mobs as they can.

A Ranger will never perform as well as a Warrior in full Zurker armor as it relates to these CoF runs; it’s like a quarterback trying to compete with a marathon runner both are very good at what they do but you just can’t do it all.

That said rangers face some challenges in dungeons with pet management and the like but are by no means worthless or even unwanted in normal dungeon runs.
If your told you’re not welcome simply because you’re a ranger, just move on and thanks them because you didn’t want to join that team anyway.

in Ranger

Posted by: Spirit.9158

Spirit.9158

I understand your pain, I’ve had this happen to be before when only wanting to join a normal dungeon run… let alone a speed run. I asked them to invite me and got quickly kicked once they realised I was a ranger. It was never said in chat but the reason was obvious. I’m glad I was kicked as it probably saved me a lot of hassle if I actually ended up in the dungeon with them anyway.

As Nevermore said, be grateful you didn’t end up having to play with players like that, I sure am! Every time I’ve had somebody raise issue with me being “useless” because I’m a ranger, I tend to prove them wrong quite quickly when they end up downed in a dungeon an I quickly swoop in and res them then get back to what I was doing. I think most of these people have heard so much from other plays about how “bad” ranger’s are without having much knowledge of them themselves, just prove them wrong!

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

You know those are the people you really don’t want to ever have to play with… ever. Anyone who negatively treats you for your class choice, or lack of efficiency is someone you want to never have to bump to in game again. You can typically find them joining groups and instantly quitting because the group is not as fast as they expected them to be, which IMO is the ultimate GW2 troll.

Speaking of speed runs (like CoF path 1) I typically like to throw a GS on my ranger and tackle everything head on, I tend to live longer than any warrior thanks to my healing buffs and my pet… yes that’s right. So if you play your cards right you can be a greater asset to speed runs than you know.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

In all of my hours playing this game not once have I ever heard or seen “NO RANGERS”. Speed farmers simply ask for zerker warriors and mesmers to go as quickly as possible, it’s not that rangers specifically are poor, it’s that the current meta gravitates towards mesmers and warriors to complete dungeon runs as quickly as possible. To be honest, since the quickness nerf I’m not even entirely sure that’s still accurate.

I could care less what dungeon farmers do though, you can easily avoid them and have fun in a dungeon with any class. I don’t see why Anet feels the need to rectify this, it’s not like you need to wait longer than five minutes to run COF as a ranger or a necro. If anything, I’d like to see them put a stop to dungeon farming altogether through better loot in open world PVE. There are other ways to stop the botters.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Aioros.4862

Aioros.4862

Hello guys.

I saw someone posting this video 2 weeks ago (maybe?!).

The video isn’t mine, i just thought it could be relevant for this thread, and maybe it’ll be useful for someone, if the build in the video description actualy works as advertised (i never got to check it out in game).

in Ranger

Posted by: yarpen.1364

yarpen.1364

Do all people think rangers are a dead weight in dungeons? With shortbow I spam 1.5k crits and that will be even higher when I get better gear…

warrior spam 4,5k crits with his axe autoattack and it’s only his autoattack. probably thats why.

99% of rangers uses bows. bows sucks. ranged damage will be always lower than melee, and in normal dungeons you can melee 100% of the time.
Thats why another longbow/shortbow ranger with bear makes everybody sad.

Change build, change traits, change skills. Use sword, greatsword. Applie some boons, do whatever to boost party, use pets, change them sometimes.
Not just sit on kitten from 1500 range and deal some funny damage with you bow. 10k rapidfire is not “high damage” for 5 seconds channel, its just 2k dps for the god sake.

I like my ranger. I constatly trying to find best build for her. I’ve started with bows, than gs tank, now full dps sword/greatsword. I’m not planning to use bow ever again, boring, useless, not fun.

PS to ranged damage
my engi with nades deals around 1k damage (crit) per nade on 1st skill, (so 3k) + vuln + bleed + 2nd 4nd and f skill hits way way harder.
1500 range, aoe 5 targets. Beat it with you bow.

(edited by yarpen.1364)

in Ranger

Posted by: Lorian.4028

Lorian.4028

I’m so tired of seeing this same sad topic. The name of the game is GUILD wars 2. Find a great guild and if they actually are a great guild they will accept a ranger because most people with common sense know that a ranger can finish anything in the game that any “superior class” can and usually do it without taking a dirt nap. If they don’t want you you don’t want them.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

Ranger is among the bottom of the barrel in dungeonplay for a number of reasons.

Largely because dungeons lean toward direct damage and other classes do (and should) specialize in that better. Additionally, Ranger’s damage specs are mucked up with fragile pets creating a unfortunately high skill floor, our highest damaging weapon being amazingly user unfriendly, and Unshakeable reducing the impact of our Power traitline’s entire theme by 50%.

….but, the barrel’s basically ankle deep in this game so being at the bottom of it just doesn’t amount to much at the end of the day.

A Tier-based Meta is an exhausting mentality to buy into.
It’s all about putting greater than or lesser than signs between things, but it rarely asks itself how much of an impact it all has. So professions are put into this endless rotation of tops and bottoms that breeds constant dissatisfaction and hysteria for half the classes in the game, no matter how good or bad things actually are. The sort of people who take classism that seriously, are the sort of people who’ve bought themselves lifetime passes to that pointless emotional rollercoaster, and as far I’m concerned they go have fun with it.

Far, far, away from me.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

in Ranger

Posted by: jewishjoyride.4693

jewishjoyride.4693

To be fair, and this may be speculation on my part, but it doesn’t seem as if organized dungeon groups have actually tried replacing a warrior or all of their warriors with rangers.

While keeping your pet alive is a major issue in a number of boss fights, there are plenty of paths and fights where it just isn’t , even with out pts in beastmastery. There are a number of fights where you can get away with placying a spirit in a safe location. With warhorn and a red moa you can keep a group buffed with fury 100%.

Again this doesn’t seem to have been tested, but a ranger or 2 vs warrior brings more bodies to the party. That means 6 or 7 party members buffed with fury, 20-25 stacks of might, wailing on a single target.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Engineers are not allowed in speed runs.
Necromancers are not allowed in speed runs.
Guardians are not allowed in speed runs.
Thieves are not allowed in speed runs.
Elementalist are not allowed in speed runs.

Such a sad topic, but its also shared with these classes as well.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Ranger

Posted by: Alkaholic.3875

Alkaholic.3875

warrior spam 4,5k crits with his axe autoattack and it’s only his autoattack. probably thats why.

99% of rangers uses bows. bows sucks. ranged damage will be always lower than melee, and in normal dungeons you can melee 100% of the time.
Thats why another longbow/shortbow ranger with bear makes everybody sad.

Change build, change traits, change skills. Use sword, greatsword. Applie some boons, do whatever to boost party, use pets, change them sometimes.
Not just sit on kitten from 1500 range and deal some funny damage with you bow. 10k rapidfire is not “high damage” for 5 seconds channel, its just 2k dps for the god sake.

I like my ranger. I constatly trying to find best build for her. I’ve started with bows, than gs tank, now full dps sword/greatsword. I’m not planning to use bow ever again, boring, useless, not fun.

PS to ranged damage
my engi with nades deals around 1k damage (crit) per nade on 1st skill, (so 3k) + vuln + bleed + 2nd 4nd and f skill hits way way harder.
1500 range, aoe 5 targets. Beat it with you bow.

Please post ur sword/gs build…

in Ranger

Posted by: Stice.5204

Stice.5204

It’s all about putting greater than or lesser than signs between things, but it rarely asks itself how much of an impact it all has.

This has been my experience as a long-term MMO player too. A vocal subset of players always gets it into their heads that “not optimal” and “not viable” mean the same thing, so any class that isn’t objectively the best at its given role is, by definition, complete garbage and desperately in need of a buff, even if the actual difference in performance is so marginal it’s barely noticeable without a stopwatch or a spreadsheet.

Of course, if said class ever gets that buff, whatever class was previously the best in that role suddenly becomes complete garbage desperately in need of their own buff. This creates a never-ending cycle of stress and resentment between players of different classes. This is also why so many players invent ridiculous conspiracy theories about how the developers hate them for playing certain classes and want them to quit or reroll. Why? Because if the developers liked a class then obviously they’d buff it to the point where it was the best (“only viable”) option for a given task that players like.

Like you said, it’s just tiring. There are guilds and groups available for players who aren’t interested in chasing the bandwagon, so just try to find one of them. They’re not as rare as you might think because the people who don’t obsess over the metagame tend to be less vocal.

I’d like to see various fixes made to the ranger class because it would make my favorite character more fun (like mechanical fixes to pets and spirits to make them more reliable in group content, PvE or PvP) but not because I want my ranger to replace warriors in the dungeon speedrunning metagame or whatever.

Guardian, Engineer
[SIC] Strident Iconoclast – BP

in Ranger

Posted by: PsionicDingo.2065

PsionicDingo.2065

The Four Warriors + One (Sigh) Mesmer mentality functions like this:

The Mesmer is there for Time Warp and Reflect (which does a metric kitten of damage if you reflect right). That’s your job, and it’s all you’re wanted for.

Warriors pump out the most damage, period. Damage is king – Direct Damage, not Condition Damage. Banners and Shouts help the entire group stay buffed.

You’re all in Berzerker gear to max the DD. If you need, say, Valk, it means you probably get hit, and you shouldn’t be getting hit. That wastes your potential and the group’s time.

That’s pretty much it. Thieves can’t compete with warrior cleave damage in these settings with that set up. Engineers can’t. Eles can’t. Necros can’t. A Guardian sure is useful, but when you’re min-maxed to that degree, is not needed. Rangers can’t and the pets are a liability on certain fights. This is all if you have that mentality, which is justifiable if that’s how you want to play the game. I find it boring, myself.

I’ve run with groups where Necros and Rangers melt adds with wells and traps. I’ve run with groups where Guardians make melee so trivial I can 1H sword AA with my jaguar and AFK as things die en masse. I’ve run in groups where my thief can just backstab packs down one by one as a GS guardian and a Hammer Guardian keep mobs grouped for us. It’s probably NOT optimal. But it’s a hell of a lot of fun.

Thankfully, if speed runs aren’t your thing, there’s no shortage of people who just want to have fun.

My psychic knife. The focused totality of my psychic powers.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

The Four Warriors + One (Sigh) Mesmer mentality functions like this:

The Mesmer is there for Time Warp and Reflect (which does a metric kitten of damage if you reflect right). That’s your job, and it’s all you’re wanted for.

Warriors pump out the most damage, period. Damage is king – Direct Damage, not Condition Damage. Banners and Shouts help the entire group stay buffed.

Agreed. When the mobs stand there hundred blades does about the most DPS in the game. Thieves can come close but they come in with less armor and way fewer HP. Stealth is a near useless mechanic in PvE and if a group does need it, hello mesmer.

Ranger even maxed out for damage cannot come close to warrior DPS on a stationary target and thief group buffs are pretty crappy. Their heal is great but that is about it.

According to these fine folks testing and hard work a ranger outperforms warrior in straight up damage (no buffs) when pet is included. Here’s the link

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Ranger-GS-vs-Warrior-GS-direct-comparison/first#post1659440

Notice I never said Ranger > Warrior, rather, I am simply stating a fact (in before 100 people tell me about banners and FGJ). Also, interestingly, warrior axe appears to have higher DPS than 100b because 100b is channeled and has a long activation time. Does anyone mind fact checking that because I can’t find it in the link.

I am not trying to fight, I just want to get the facts out there. Happy hunting!

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Pendleton.6385

Pendleton.6385

You wouldn’t want to run a dungeon with a group like that anyway. Don’t sweat it.

Tarnished Coast
~ Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Bri.8354

Bri.8354

Rangers can be okay at speed runs, but that’s only when using a 1h sword and feline with pure berserker equipment. But even then, they are still much weaker than a warrior for a few reasons.

Warriors stack up might and fury like crazy with the GS trait and shouts, have more team support, can deal more damage to multiple targets since felines can only hit a single target, apply more vulnerability, and have better survivability in a berserker build.

in Ranger

PsionicDingo.2065

According to these fine folks testing and hard work a ranger outperforms warrior in straight up damage (no buffs) when pet is included. Here’s the link

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Ranger-GS-vs-Warrior-GS-direct-comparison/first#post1659440

Notice I never said Ranger > Warrior, rather, I am simply stating a fact (in before 100 people tell me about banners and FGJ). Also, interestingly, warrior axe appears to have higher DPS than 100b because 100b is channeled and has a long activation time. Does anyone mind fact checking that because I can’t find it in the link.

I am not trying to fight, I just want to get the facts out there. Happy hunting!

Axe is better than 100b as far as I’ve ever read and experienced. It’s faster and I believe cleaves wider.

That said, I prefer my Ranger or Thief. The argument I’ve heard about whatever Ranger/Thief/Ele/Whoever can bring in heals or utilities is simply:

The Warrior Buffs are damage focused. Ranger only brings superior Fury uptime, but it pales in comparison to everything Warriors can bring. Same for any other class. And healing or support (I love Shadow Refuge, Smoke Screen, and Necro wells!)? You shouldn’t need them, because you’re in full zerker not getting hit. If you wear Knights, if you need heals or revives, then you’re not maximizing what a warrior can do, so you’re useless. Dodge, don’t die, problem solved and no support needed.

These aren’t my beliefs, it’s what I pulled from some threads the other day. I can agree with the theory, sadly.

I suppose that’s the downside of no Trinity. If you don’t need a tank or healer, then why not bring hard and fast damage? And if one class can do hard and fast self-buffing damage over other classes, why would you need them if all you’re concerned with is How Much Damage Can I Push?

in Ranger

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

It’s not just you or rangers in general that get this kind of treatment, pretty much any class not a warrior, mesmer, or guardian run into this at some point. Best thing to do is get a good laugh off of those fools because they live in a sad narrow little world. There’s plenty of people out there willing to do speedruns that allow any class. Intelligent people recognize that experience in a dungeon is far more valuable than a meta class and shaving off mere seconds from encounters. Laugh it off my friend and go find the intelligent players and have a good time.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Ranger

PsionicDingo.2065

I did an MF run with a Necro and Warrior the other night. It went like this:

“Stuck on me.”
“Stuck on me.”
“Listen to me. Stuck on me.”
“Are you new? Stuck on me.”

I fell in line because I’m used to players like that, and want no drama, but the other Ranger and Guardian did things their way. Eventually the Guardian quit before the boss, even though we were doing well. It just wasn’t FUN because it was so controlled. Then during the bosses, doing the “stack inside” exploit, it wasn’t letting me stack inside – I was actually walled out. It’s happened to me before trying that, it simply will not let me in. So I had to do it the intended way, and I just got yelled at for a bit until we won.

in Ranger

Posted by: choigreywolf.7496

choigreywolf.7496

To the OP, peeps not allowing rangers in speedruns can continue to exploit the shorter paths and get no enjoyment out of the game. Defenetly if the grp only wants the war and mesmer combo. Imo peeps not allowing certain classes to come are a lil selfish. Anyhoo I run with a grp that we are all rangers and its a blast and relitivly fast. We all know how to manage our pets effectivly and such so just about all paths of any dungeon really isn’t a challenge for us. We run all rangers because it is deffenetly fun to do, sure our class is in many peeps eyes as low on the effectivness when it comes to dungeons but hey, ist hillarious to see 5 cats on 1 boss like project alpha in CoE, or lopi in arah. :-) its an absilute blast :-) personally, I am glad I made a ranger it revamped the game for me. So don’t be bummed if selfish peeps don’t allow you to join their “speed runs”. Just have fun :-)

Vladdamier-80 guard/ Knarled Scar-80 necro

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

“Stuck on me.”
“Stuck on me.”

I fell in line because I’m used to players like that, and want no drama, but the other Ranger and Guardian did things their way. Eventually the Guardian quit before the boss, even though we were doing well. It just wasn’t FUN because it was so controlled. Then during the bosses, doing the “stack inside” exploit, it wasn’t letting me stack inside – I was actually walled out. It’s happened to me before trying that, it simply will not let me in. So I had to do it the intended way, and I just got yelled at for a bit until we won.

Go into your options menu, and turn off “melee attack assist.” It will remove all collision between you and enemies, allowing you to run through them.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

It’s all about putting greater than or lesser than signs between things, but it rarely asks itself how much of an impact it all has.

This has been my experience as a long-term MMO player too. A vocal subset of players always gets it into their heads that “not optimal” and “not viable” mean the same thing, so any class that isn’t objectively the best at its given role is, by definition, complete garbage and desperately in need of a buff, even if the actual difference in performance is so marginal it’s barely noticeable without a stopwatch or a spreadsheet.

Of course, if said class ever gets that buff, whatever class was previously the best in that role suddenly becomes complete garbage desperately in need of their own buff. This creates a never-ending cycle of stress and resentment between players of different classes. This is also why so many players invent ridiculous conspiracy theories about how the developers hate them for playing certain classes and want them to quit or reroll. Why? Because if the developers liked a class then obviously they’d buff it to the point where it was the best (“only viable”) option for a given task that players like.

First thing that came to mind while reading this were Elementalists / Mesmers complaining about the recent changes on the 4/30 patch lmao….“Ermahgerd RtL is useless nao Imma quit!” Oh forum drama queens….how they entertain me. XD

Overall good post Vox!

in Ranger

Posted by: Lyndis.2584

Lyndis.2584

Just curious, how do you spam 1.5k crit shortbow autoattacks?

I have a full exotic set, full exotic bezerker build with Runes of the Ranger, with +100 power and +10% crit damage food as my build, but the max I hit is 1.2-1.3k on my shortbow.

.:: FaTe ~ [SoS] ::.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

There are 8 classes in the game, and 5 slots in a party. Somebody is getting left out.

Just throwing that out there for general information.

Rangers are considered top tier at pvp, and the game isn’t at the point where all classes excel evenly at everything. Give it time (yes, I know, more time, but it’s the only real option).

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: yarpen.1364

yarpen.1364

Please post ur sword/gs build…

now I’m testing 10/25/5/30/0 “max dps” build. Trying to learn how to use and how really usefull frost spirit in different dungeons can be. But for now this build is just theorycraft “good” on paper thing, managing spirit is just too annoying.
Still damage from ranger alone is very high.

I like also 0/0/25/15/30 build, tanky style, played it alot. But probably I will end up with something like 10/10/5/15/30 because I just love pets with 30 bm and in this build I loose 5% flat + 10% on flanking but can use jaguar in any scenario with great damage buff from traits and shared boons.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gufuu.6384

Gufuu.6384

I’ve done speed runs with 3warriors/1ranger/1mesmer, and hit for at least 4000+ dmg a hit or so using a 1 hand sword, and completed the dungeon in around 6-7 minutes. I have a video of it somewhere. I think a ranger could do a speed run with the right group setup no problem.

I uploaded the video to my public dropbox folder. It may take awhile to download but you can see it there. It’s a short video of us destroying the Slave Driver. I hit it mostly for 4,000-6,000 dmg a hit and i think my pet got a hit in for 9,000 dmg or so. I’ve seen the pet hit for a lot more dmg as well. You can also open up with your greatsword and do 10,000 – 20,000 dmg with your maul attack once all the buffs and debuffs are active – i wasn’t using a GS for this video though. Overall I think 1 hand will do more dmg.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61342835/slave%20driver.mov
- I forgot to drink my +dmg potions and food for this video also. So I could be doing at least 20% more dmg with those active.

Screenshot of combat log – not the same log from this video.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61342835/gw003.png

That other ranger video was good but.. I’m doing more dmg.

Ranger
Playing since headstart.

(edited by Gufuu.6384)

in Ranger

PsionicDingo.2065

“Stuck on me.”
“Stuck on me.”

Go into your options menu, and turn off “melee attack assist.” It will remove all collision between you and enemies, allowing you to run through them.

I do. Still wouldn’t. : / Not every time. Only happened to me thrice of…many runs.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Question: if these speed runners are so good with aegis that they don’t get hit, why is pet death even an issue?

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Question: if these speed runners are so good with aegis that they don’t get hit, why is pet death even an issue?

Because they don’t get hit due to dodging. The pet doesn’t dodge and its positioning to you after recalling with f3 is how it pleases, which includes roaming to your side even if there’s also aoe besides you.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

LOL at the people saying “yeah, those are jerks, they probably are all kittens and eat babies”.
Speedrunners are playing for a specific objective, as the name says, completing the content in the fastest and most painless way, usually to farm gold. Not for fun, not because they like or hate you, they are FARMING.
And simply put, rangers are the worst class when dungeon farming, for reasons many people already said.

Does that make dem speedrunners jerks or noobs? No. They’re playing their way, for an objective, and they will invite only those that are most useful in that situation. If you want to blame your frustation on someone, blame anet pve balance where only dps matters.

I too sometimes speedrun cof1 on my war, and only look for those specific groups, to maximize gold/hour . Other times, i log on my ranger and play the same path on mixed groups for a relaxed run, just for fun. It’s just 2 different mindsets.

Far too many people knee-jerk when they discover their beloved ranger is not welcome in some groups, and start blaming people of “elitism” “being jerks” before even stopping and thinking for a second.

(edited by Aegis.9724)

in Ranger

Posted by: jewishjoyride.4693

jewishjoyride.4693

I’ve done speed runs with 3warriors/1ranger/1mesmer, and hit for at least 4000+ dmg a hit or so using a 1 hand sword, and completed the dungeon in around 6-7 minutes. I have a video of it somewhere. I think a ranger could do a speed run with the right group setup no problem.

I uploaded the video to my public dropbox folder. It may take awhile to download but you can see it there. It’s a short video of us destroying the Slave Driver. I hit it mostly for 4,000-6,000 dmg a hit and i think my pet got a hit in for 9,000 dmg or so. I’ve seen the pet hit for a lot more dmg as well. You can also open up with your greatsword and do 10,000 – 20,000 dmg with your maul attack once all the buffs and debuffs are active – i wasn’t using a GS for this video though. Overall I think 1 hand will do more dmg.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61342835/slave%20driver.mov
- I forgot to drink my +dmg potions and food for this video also. So I could be doing at least 20% more dmg with those active.

Screenshot of combat log – not the same log from this video.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61342835/gw003.png

That other ranger video was good but.. I’m doing more dmg.

THIS is what happens when you put a ranger in an organized group. Warriors no longer have the buff advantage over a ranger. If you take a second to watch this, please note the 25 stacks of might, the fury buff and the stacks of vulnerability on the slave driver.

When you kill a boss this quickly it doesn’t have the time to kill your pet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

LOL at the people saying “yeah, those are jerks, they probably are all kittens and eat babies”.
Speedrunners are playing for a specific objective, as the name says, completing the content in the fastest and most painless way, usually to farm gold. Not for fun, not because they like or hate you, they are FARMING.
And simply put, rangers are the worst class when dungeon farming, for reasons many people already said.

Does that make dem speedrunners jerks or noobs? No. They’re playing their way, for an objective, and they will invite only those that are most useful in that situation. If you want to blame your frustation on someone, blame anet pve balance where only dps matters.

I too sometimes speedrun cof1 on my war, and only look for those specific groups, to maximize gold/hour . Other times, i log on my ranger and play the same path on mixed groups for a relaxed run, just for fun. It’s just 2 different mindsets.

Far too many people knee-jerk when they discover their beloved ranger is not welcome in some groups, and start blaming people of “elitism” “being jerks” before even stopping and thinking for a second.

Most of us (I wasn’t anyway) weren’t taking about speedruns in general. Yes we know that they are there for farming, but if a ranger knows their role, knows the dungeon well, and can pull their own weight and contribute to the team, then yes it does make those “gtfo you’re not a <warrior/mesmer/guardian>” people complete noobcakes. A competent player regardless of class will complete the content efficiently. When people start nitpicking classes for “fastest times” you’re honestly only shaving seconds off each encounter….seconds just to be a jerk to someone for no reason at all….THAT is what the hubbubb is all about, not speedruns.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Ranger

Posted by: choon.6308

choon.6308

I don’t know about warrior/mesmer speed run groups but we did 7 min cof p1 runs multiple times without any warrior or mesmer so that group setup goes to trash

in Ranger

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

99% of the people on that gwlfg site will ask for a zerk warr & show gear.

I blame AN for this filth. And I doubt anyone from AN will ever read and understand how players like me feel about this issue, or do something about it.
Ever.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

99% of the people on that gwlfg site will ask for a zerk warr & show gear.

I blame AN for this filth. And I doubt anyone from AN will ever read and understand how players like me feel about this issue, or do something about it.
Ever.

I don’t think you can blame Anet, minmaxing and speed farming is hard coded into the mindsets of every MMO community. No matter what the developers do there will always be a specific class, build, or tactic that will make dungeon runs that little bit faster, and the meta will naturally gravitate towards that. Personally I see it as a non-issue as I have no trouble finding a pug party for dungeons through gw2lfg, so it doesn’t really affect me in any way.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Hello guys.

I saw someone posting this video 2 weeks ago (maybe?!).

The video isn’t mine, i just thought it could be relevant for this thread, and maybe it’ll be useful for someone, if the build in the video description actualy works as advertised (i never got to check it out in game).

Wow… If only our 1h sword wasn’t broken… -.-

in Ranger

Posted by: Hilda Raven.8641

Hilda Raven.8641

Sounds like you met some warriors in full “jerk” er armor. No, rangers ain’t dead weight in speed runs at all. No class is dead weight in speed runs as long as you know how to play it. People are more likely to kick out a necro or an engineer before they dump rangers from what I’ve seen and I play all classes except mesmer, my ranger is my main, then guardian, warrior etc. Some of the fastest runs I’ve seen had dual rangers in the party. Just ignore the full jerkers

in Ranger

PsionicDingo.2065

My buddy just rolled a Warrior solely to Berzerker Farm CoF to gear his Guardian. I had to pass on that invitation, because is that’s a way of focusing on my Ranger or Thief, it’s too much like work.

Anyway, Daemon is right. I’d rather find people who just want to play. While I enjoy speed runs (or used to, when I was a tank in WoW), I play GW2 for less grind.