Rangers are really that bad?

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

So what’s the general consensus here? Rangers aren’t useless just not useful?

I’ve got 3 maxed out rangers and I can tell you this: when you have a choice of your dream team, either for high level fractals, dungeons, wvw roaming, spvp, ranger will always be behind the other classes. Not because it is “bad”, but because there are other classes that are “more useful” in a team.

Best regards

this is not true, for a normal pve max dmg group you need a ranger, in tpvp ranger are very strong too and dont say that ranger are bad or weak in roaming ><

I support this, however it all depends on the ranger. I always find myself being the last man standing, not entirely depending on my build. The way I use the ranger mechanics allow me to be a kittenet to my group, which is what every ranger should bring to their party. I have also tagged with rangers who simply didn’t do enough to be up to par with the rest of the group, so you need to know who your ranger is, especially if you plan on having a ‘dream team’ type of party.

It’s very rare for me to NOT be the last man standing on my ranger and my ele in PvE, so many fights I’ve had to finish by myself because everyone else died xD. Even when I run zerker on ranger (granted it’s rare) it takes a while for me to finally go down, they’re just really really good at survival.

Funny thing you mention eles, I find that ele + ranger makes an amazing combo for PvE combat, Fractals and dungeons too. As a matter of fact, a ranger that plays right kind of plays a bit like an ele, minding your weapon skill rotations, keeping the damage always flowing, applying regen in a very consistent basis for your allies; you can see that in condition damage rangers especially. I wonder if ranger + ele can play out well in WvW, I’ll have to give it a try.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

So what’s the general consensus here? Rangers aren’t useless just not useful?

I’ve got 3 maxed out rangers and I can tell you this: when you have a choice of your dream team, either for high level fractals, dungeons, wvw roaming, spvp, ranger will always be behind the other classes. Not because it is “bad”, but because there are other classes that are “more useful” in a team.

Best regards

this is not true, for a normal pve max dmg group you need a ranger, in tpvp ranger are very strong too and dont say that ranger are bad or weak in roaming ><

I support this, however it all depends on the ranger. I always find myself being the last man standing, not entirely depending on my build. The way I use the ranger mechanics allow me to be a kittenet to my group, which is what every ranger should bring to their party. I have also tagged with rangers who simply didn’t do enough to be up to par with the rest of the group, so you need to know who your ranger is, especially if you plan on having a ‘dream team’ type of party.

It’s very rare for me to NOT be the last man standing on my ranger and my ele in PvE, so many fights I’ve had to finish by myself because everyone else died xD. Even when I run zerker on ranger (granted it’s rare) it takes a while for me to finally go down, they’re just really really good at survival.

Funny thing you mention eles, I find that ele + ranger makes an amazing combo for PvE combat, Fractals and dungeons too. As a matter of fact, a ranger that plays right kind of plays a bit like an ele, minding your weapon skill rotations, keeping the damage always flowing, applying regen in a very consistent basis for your allies; you can see that in condition damage rangers especially. I wonder if ranger + ele can play out well in WvW, I’ll have to give it a try.

I gotta say, ele + ranger is ridiculously strong together, the ele provides a ton of fields, ranger applies a ton of finishers, and if you give a ranger a conjure weapon your enemies gonna have a bad time.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

@Gorwald, you do realize trapper builds are one of our best builds atm right? It’s an insanely strong home point defender, and can bring quite a bit to a team fight in terms of AoE pressure and area denial as well.

As someone else said all you need to make ranger strong in wading through zergs is to pair them with a guardian and/or warrior who can give them some stability or be a signet ranger and also use enlargement.

My Necro Wells build > largely any traper build of rangers.

Did traps give protection to people inside? Wells do
Did traps heal the ranger on each tick? Wells do
Did traps can crit? Wells do
Did traps can remove conditions of friends teammates? Wells do
Did traps can remove buffs of ennemies? Wells do
Did traps can blind? Wells do
Did traps can be effective while spreading points in trees? No traps need 30 points in preci/%crit damage to be effective (lol), wells are effective and you can spread points in differents lines to have passive bonus to them

Sorry to dissapoint you…but wells > traps

And saying that to be effective you have to pair with a warrior or a guardian…lol

Warrior btw give stability with elite banner, i really doubt any warrior whould break an instant rez just to give stability to a ranger….or it’s a really dumb warrior

And to have stability as a ranger you choice Rampage as one or a signet who need 30 point in a trait line to affect you…lol

So what you’re saying, is because you can provide better support with wells and they have better effects (they kittening better when they’ve got double the CD) that well necro is better at home point defense than a trap ranger? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

You know how you counter a well necro? You get out of their wells, wait 12s then you go back and kick their teeth in because they can’t do jack kittening kitten now because all their kitten is on CD, for a trap ranger if you try that he’s gonna just throw his traps back onto you and knock you down in them so you get nice and dotted up.

PS: incase you didn’t realize trap builds are hybrid damage, that’s why they’re so effective at killing people.

Trap builds are hybrid damage? You mean you are running traps with Carrion gear? When I used to run around in Carrion (mind you I didn’t play ranger as good as I do now) it felt rather squishy. Even if you have 23k hp, low toughness is just meh… Can you link a build of hybrid damage trapper? I reeeeeaaaaally hope it has pvt/rabid/zerker/knight gear… cause that is what I have.

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

@Gorwald, you do realize trapper builds are one of our best builds atm right? It’s an insanely strong home point defender, and can bring quite a bit to a team fight in terms of AoE pressure and area denial as well.

As someone else said all you need to make ranger strong in wading through zergs is to pair them with a guardian and/or warrior who can give them some stability or be a signet ranger and also use enlargement.

Did traps can be effective while spreading points in trees? No traps need 30 points in preci/%crit damage to be effective (lol), wells are effective and you can spread points in differents lines to have passive bonus to them

And saying that to be effective you have to pair with a warrior or a guardian…lol

Warrior btw give stability with elite banner, i really doubt any warrior whould break an instant rez just to give stability to a ranger….or it’s a really dumb warrior

And to have stability as a ranger you choice Rampage as one or a signet who need 30 point in a trait line to affect you…lol

So what you’re saying, is because you can provide better support with wells and they have better effects (they kittening better when they’ve got double the CD) that well necro is better at home point defense than a trap ranger? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

You know how you counter a well necro? You get out of their wells, wait 12s then you go back and kick their teeth in because they can’t do jack kittening kitten now because all their kitten is on CD, for a trap ranger if you try that he’s gonna just throw his traps back onto you and knock you down in them so you get nice and dotted up.

PS: incase you didn’t realize trap builds are hybrid damage, that’s why they’re so effective at killing people.

Trap builds are hybrid damage? You mean you are running traps with Carrion gear? When I used to run around in Carrion (mind you I didn’t play ranger as good as I do now) it felt rather squishy. Even if you have 23k hp, low toughness is just meh… Can you link a build of hybrid damage trapper? I reeeeeaaaaally hope it has pvt/rabid/zerker/knight gear… cause that is what I have.

It’s just a trapper build using rabid or rampager gear…. depends on how much damage/survivability i want.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: restoration.2806

restoration.2806

Try Carrion again and maybe add toughness in your accessories or something. You might feel a bit squishy at first but as you get more experience you get used to it and the traps hit HARD.

in Ranger

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

Why pick a class because its the best… How boring

I can tell you it makes it all the more satisfying to stomp people in WvW, knowing that 2 minutes ago they looked at you are thought “ooh a free lootbag”.

Pretty much this. In WvW, the majority of players I see use longbows, and they are awfully squishy.

Most players online underestimate a good ranger. The only classes you might struggle with is condi-mesmers and condi-necros, the rest are entirely beatable.

As a ranger, warriors and guardians are often the easiest to take down. Thiefs usually take a lot of effort, but they can be the most fun to fight.

If you want to try a ranger, go for it. If you can get into the way the class fights then you’ll be great in WvW (yes, even in zergs) you can solo camps, towers and possibly keeps (I’ve only done that along with an uplevelled warrior so it wasn’t quite solo!)

The builds I have trouble with my ranger are the ultra negative mobility condition duration warriors / engineers. My power build shines on enemy movement control (GS #4 cripple, axe #3 chill, chill proc / weapon swap aoe, etc) and not being able to keep someone pinned down makes fights against those builds extremely tricky. Otherwise fights against all classes are usually fun and against skilled players pretty kitten rewarding when you come out on top.

in Ranger

Posted by: Canakun.8031

Canakun.8031

Rangers are strong. They can win 1v2 in most PvP settings, they can roam effectively in WvW, they are one of the fastest speed clearing classes and they have a decent health pool. they are very fun for soloing around the world, too. if you want to play ranger, play ranger. people who think it’s a bad class (or not a great class) just aren’t playing ranger properly.

Mamorou Itou Defense Club.
Protect him at all costs.