Rangers get some love?

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Posted by: Rhoellan.5462

Rhoellan.5462

I have been pvp’ing (Mesmer) a lot more lately and by no means am I a elite player. Not even close. I do however hold my own consistently in both WvW and PvP; sometimes 2+ players to one. I run from no one. I win more than my share. And there are certain classes that I know are going to be work and many that are a free kill. Rangers, usually fall into the latter category.

3 nights ago I ran into the first of the non-bow using rangers. He was using a great sword and with all my normal tricks, I could not seem to be able to get any separation from this guy. I am a GS, Sword/focus shatter Mesmer and build for burst and I keep getting him down and he kept popping up. One time, he was literally DEAD and popped back up, with gap closers and melted my face. He took 3 of 5 1 v 1’s from me.

Then last night I played against a sword/dagger or a axe/torch combination ranger ( I am not positive on this) and was blown away. His DPS was through the roof and it seems like it took 3 of us to make his health go down. He used a hawk of some sort, which would blind us and most of his damage (from the logs) came from his pet(s). I am sure he was a BM.

I had a new build I was trying, and unfortunately some lag, but before I could shatter once sometimes he had me down. The confusion stacks seems to do nothing to him. This doesn’t happen with 100b warriors and not even thieves can burst me down that quickly.

Regardless of lag, regardless of new build, after facing him like 5-7 times, he was a much better player than I am anyways. That said, I never knew rangers were capable of this kind of thrashing in capable hands. So did you get buffed recently, or are the majority just not very good at their class, or do bows only excel in PVE?

My wife plays a ranger ONLY, lol, so inquiring minds want to know! Thanks!

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Posted by: Lothorien.8720

Lothorien.8720

Maybe is me lol, i was playing yesterday against a mesmer. I play with a 1sword/dagger, axe/torch. A jaguar and a white raven (alan poe).

Lothorien
Emhry Bay Ranger

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Posted by: Asthalon.6875

Asthalon.6875

GS got a little love in the last patch, more people might be trying it out. Overall I think the nature of conversation in our forum is starting to shift away from constant whining about us being broken, so maybe it’s just a case of people spending time getting better on their Ranger instead of wasting it complaining here.

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Posted by: Dina Van Heyr.3018

Dina Van Heyr.3018

beating someone with ranger in www its much harder than with any other class and it requires a lot of practice and knowing oponents. especialy to know when you can win and whe you will loose ..actualy beating mesmer is not so hard especialy if you know how to focus only on caster not ilusions ..worst enemy is d/d ele and guardian (some perma stealth thiefs too because you can’t target them) autotarget is ranger second worst enemy.

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Posted by: Criminal.5627

Criminal.5627

ranger actually has a lot of really good 1v1 builds, few know how to tap into them and fewer actually use pvp builds in WvW most players stick to a Pve spec, nothing has been changed drastically for rangers if that is what you are asking, just sounds like you ran into one of the few people that spent the time and gold to set up a more pvp orientated spec for WvW, if you were wondering about ranger pvp specs that are being used, there is the spirit bunker, BM (tankish), trap bunker, and the ever popular condition builds including condition spirit based builds that are now popping up

that being said most of the ranger builds with a few exceptions are not great at fighting many people at once, the bunker and bm build are decent if against multiple foes who are less skilled (including 1 skilled player and rest not so skilled) just by wearing foes down. but most ranger builds if elites or utilities are on cooldown they cant handle more than one target just cause very few ranger abilities are aoe and good to use against groups. sure we can still kill 1 out of 3 but the other 2 will get us before we can stomp any more of em

Giant spiders of the world are just misunderstood creatures, they love to snuggle too.

(edited by Criminal.5627)

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Posted by: Furajir.3815

Furajir.3815

I’ve been sw/wh and GS for awhile, was just lucky to have gotten some love last patch, never have been a fan of the glassy-esque ranger specs. I’m actually built around being bunker PTV armor/cavalier accessories with zerk weps/jewels and built around defense but my damage is far from subpar. I use the same spec in wvw and spvp. But o course it’s more effective in wvwvw given nourishments that make up for the lack of crit/crit dmg in spvp. Even built around defense I have close to 3300 attk. I think most rangers, as stated above, delve too much into trying glass cannon builds with bows etc and really miss out on the utility that other weapon combos bring.

Tupro-Ranger- “The Great White Hype”
Yak’s Bend(TWIN) Racist against Sylvari
RRR Ranger and Warrior videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ElmoezHerra?feature=watch

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Posted by: Lyndis.2584

Lyndis.2584

Oh my god
A ranger beat someone?

NERF!

.:: FaTe ~ [SoS] ::.

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Posted by: cosmicegg.8502

cosmicegg.8502

The trouble with the ranger class is the people not knowing how to play or gear them. It has a steeper learning curve then most classes but its very good when mastered.
Nice thing about it is its not a cookie cutter class. It has many viable builds and all can melt faces when run properly. A ranger can max out vulnerability and swoop in with a great sword and a strong pet or set back trap and shoot. So many different ways to play the class but all of them take time to learn.

Lea Moonbow
Blackgate

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Posted by: Linkisdead.9647

Linkisdead.9647

Like most have said: its a operator error type of issue.

Ranger can be the most underpowered and boring class ever when played wrong. Ranger can also be straight up dominant 1v1 when played right.

Sig
[sYn] Borlis Pass

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

GS got a little love in the last patch, more people might be trying it out. Overall I think the nature of conversation in our forum is starting to shift away from constant whining about us being broken, so maybe it’s just a case of people spending time getting better on their Ranger instead of wasting it complaining here.

Anet is still ignoring glaring issues with Ranger, patch after patch after patch. People will keep vocalizing concerns until these issues are fixed and they don’t feel swept under the rug.

You’ve got your little niche that works for you, happy to hear it. Not all of us do.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

Like most have said: its a operator error type of issue.

Ranger can be the most underpowered and boring class ever when played wrong. Ranger can also be straight up dominant 1v1 when played right.

^^ Hitting the nail!

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Posted by: Gambit.8425

Gambit.8425

GC Mesmer lost to Bunker Ranger, alert the media!

Shame on you for losing against a Ranger You should stay max range, GS 1200 y>Axe 900 y, spam clones and not give away the real you too obviously, let iZerk work its magic, use Blink to get away if chilled, try to time Feedback 10 sec after being chilled to reflect the next one, and use some T/V gear in WvW. If you get him down, press F4 after F when stomping to not get interrupted. Melee Rangers are a gimmick at best in WvW where all is centered around ZvsZ and roamers are mainly PvE’rs trying to complete map.

In PvE a Bow with Piercing arrows and Traps is the best you can get in damage/support from a ranger imo. Same in WvW to farm ranks/badges.

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Posted by: Linkisdead.9647

Linkisdead.9647

Oh look another tool who doesn’t actually know anything about the class telling those that do how to play. You’re obviously painfully ignorant of the class, like most people who play the game. You have to be braindead to think x class should beat y class everytime.

Honestly how stupid and arrogant do you have to be to claim all ranger roamers are just pvers after completion?

Elitest tool is elitest tool. Come to my server and we’ll see who the gimmicky player is. GL trying to keep me at a distance though, if you think you’re just going to run in circles you have another thing coming.

Go glass, confusion, tanky condition, I don’t care. I’ve duoed with my room mate who is a mesmer for months, its stupid easy to pick out the real one when you know all their tricks.

What are you going to do when I’m not phased by clones? How about when you can’t keep me at a distance with all of my closers, stuns, cripples, and fears? How about when I wipe your conditions constantly?

Sig
[sYn] Borlis Pass

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Posted by: haxi.9038

haxi.9038

While rangers may be good in solo pvp, they are def inferior in pve dungeons. Problem about rangers is that you can only focus on one area at once there are very few builds that allow you to kill both players and ai effectively. That being said, I would never take rangers in a dungeon group.
People don’t know how to gear their ranger properly? Please show some respect to pugs, they may be pugs but they are not kitten. Why would they want to waste tokens/gold for 2 sets of gear in order to be effective? Probably just get some pve gear/build while I run a few dungeons for some gold to level a new pve character. Either that or get some pvp gear/build if I have another toon for pve.
I’m sure that you have realized by now that as a ranger, it is more effective to constantly switch builds to adapt to different situations/environments. However, it would be rather costly to do so and rewards are bs might as well gear up a few diff classes for it.

And why is OP so arrogant about rolling his face over most rangers? In WvW yes many are on their PvE builds or builds optimized for zerging they obviously cannot win you in 1v1 and dont forget that not everyone is 80 or fully geared. But do you even PvP? Cos if you do you probably wont be rolling your face over rangers. Or are most rangers in hotjoin that bad?

(edited by haxi.9038)

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Gambit.8425

//
Honestly how stupid and arrogant do you have to be to claim all ranger roamers are just pvers after completion?
//

When I wrote roamers i meant all professions, players in general chasing the next POI on map. But you’re right, a Ranger NEED to be a duel spec to have a legit chance against most PvE roamers of equal skill. 3 wins of 5 to take OP’s example since he’s Mesmers #1 PvE spec.

If you’re a bunker spec and out-heal my damage while I’m a GC spec aimed for badge farming, I would do the only honorable thing and run away, but I’ve yet to see it happen in WvW, ever. But I find roaming slow, boring and avoid it, I ran into enemy zergs more often than alone players.

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Posted by: Rhoellan.5462

Rhoellan.5462

And why is OP so arrogant about rolling his face over most rangers? In WvW yes many are on their PvE builds or builds optimized for zerging they obviously cannot win you in 1v1 and dont forget that not everyone is 80 or fully geared. But do you even PvP? Cos if you do you probably wont be rolling your face over rangers. Or are most rangers in hotjoin that bad?

Simmer down, don’t get your panties in a bunch. If you read what I posted without your angry filter, you could discern that I am a PvP’er and do a lot of WvW as well. I never claimed to be great, nor am I. That said; it has been my experience, not my opinion, that I tend to beat rangers with more ease than most. I also noticed that many of those were bow users. I use a focus build that reflects projectiles, so maybe that is it. Either way, I would beat, equal to better geared rangers, IN MY EXPERIENCE, 90% of the time. It was refreshing to get my tail kicked underestimating someone who made the class seem 3 X more powerful than the 90% that I beat.

Regarding the shame on me (sarcastically) from the other poster for not getting to max range and all of that, I actually did. I was able to down the GS ranger numerous times doing this, but couldn’t seem to put the nail in the coffin. A little less lag, one less missed rotation and it could have went differently, but I wouldn’t bet on it. He played extremely well.

But the sword/? ranger had great survivability and his DPS was crazy. If I had no lag, a supercomputer and on my best day, I don’t think I could have beat him 50% of the time. It was a humbling experience and to make it even more funny (if it was the guy who asked if it was him), when this ranger came with more than one person, I did better than when I 1 v 1’ed him. They got in his way and I downed one of them before he stunned, blinded or whatever’ed me so that even when I stealthed he was still beating the heck out of me. I play a class, that feels like I have a counter to every class, if I play perfectly. This guy made me doubt that.

This post was about props and to ask a sincere question. I would like to pass this info off to my wife who is a die heart ranger player so she can try something new for pvp.

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Gambit.8425

Probably something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-CzRt3fbZ0

He has both weapon setups you mention, along with gear and builds in his description. Creds to him for capturing the head pounding Ranger reality and not show off against some up-leveled, under-geared toons.

Like haxi.9038 said, very limited mileage for the gear you plow down to be an average dueler against players with the same prerequisites. I’d say it’s more suited for sPvP with all the QC going on.

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Posted by: miniL.7361

miniL.7361

I have been pvp’ing (Mesmer) a lot more lately and by no means am I a elite player. Not even close. I do however hold my own consistently in both WvW and PvP; sometimes 2+ players to one. I run from no one. I win more than my share. And there are certain classes that I know are going to be work and many that are a free kill. Rangers, usually fall into the latter category.

3 nights ago I ran into the first of the non-bow using rangers. He was using a great sword and with all my normal tricks, I could not seem to be able to get any separation from this guy. I am a GS, Sword/focus shatter Mesmer and build for burst and I keep getting him down and he kept popping up. One time, he was literally DEAD and popped back up, with gap closers and melted my face. He took 3 of 5 1 v 1’s from me.

Then last night I played against a sword/dagger or a axe/torch combination ranger ( I am not positive on this) and was blown away. His DPS was through the roof and it seems like it took 3 of us to make his health go down. He used a hawk of some sort, which would blind us and most of his damage (from the logs) came from his pet(s). I am sure he was a BM.

I had a new build I was trying, and unfortunately some lag, but before I could shatter once sometimes he had me down. The confusion stacks seems to do nothing to him. This doesn’t happen with 100b warriors and not even thieves can burst me down that quickly.

Regardless of lag, regardless of new build, after facing him like 5-7 times, he was a much better player than I am anyways. That said, I never knew rangers were capable of this kind of thrashing in capable hands. So did you get buffed recently, or are the majority just not very good at their class, or do bows only excel in PVE?

My wife plays a ranger ONLY, lol, so inquiring minds want to know! Thanks!

No this is not that weird, the weird thing is they where given the name RANGER, rangers with range are rather kittenty vs any opponent as I have noticed playing against many of them. However when they come in close, beware because their melee weapons and traits are what tend to make them strong and usefull.

Imo a rather failed class imo given the fact you would expect them to be strongest with bows and stuff….

Rangers get some love?

in Ranger

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

I’d love to see a Ranger beating this Mesmer build. I’m running it at the moment on my Mes for WvW and I barely even have to pay attention to them, they are almost entirely no threat. When you’ve played a class that can do this it’s hard to motivate yourself to play Ranger.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]