Rangers in SPvP: Entangle

in Ranger

Posted by: gpassucc.5961

gpassucc.5961

To the rangers I have encountered in spvp, please for the love of all that is good stop using entangle. Just because rangers lack active condi cleanse don’t assume other classes do as well. If you are facing anyone competent (besides another ranger who doesn’t have on demand condi clear) all they have to do is instantly cleanse after the ridiculously obvious animation and you just wasted your elite. If you aren’t going to use the OP spirit then at least use RaO, it is much more beneficial overall.

Edit: When I say OP spirit I mean the fact that it is healing more than the tooltip indicates, I actually like spirit rangers overall

[EG] – SoR – Persies Sunreaver (war),
Persiës Sunreaver (ele), Persiës (ranger),
Gromphe Baenre (necro), Përsies (guard)

(edited by gpassucc.5961)

in Ranger

Posted by: kai.4629

kai.4629

rangers with entangle in pvp = free kills

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Most ranger run condi so RaO doesn’t really compliment a condition build unless they rely on crit. Lots of things are ineffective in spvp yet you have taken the time to post here. Probably isn’t as ineffective as you would have everyone believe.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fomby.4295

Fomby.4295

Most ranger run condi so RaO doesn’t really compliment a condition build unless they rely on crit. Lots of things are ineffective in spvp yet you have taken the time to post here. Probably isn’t as ineffective as you would have everyone believe.

He’s not trying to fool people if that’s what you think. Entangle really is a poor skill for an elite. Even if you’re a condi build, it’s not worth it. He’s right in saying tha competent players will cleanse or blink out of the roots. Or just dodge the attack altogether. The stability alone in RaO is better than entangle.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Kal Snow – Norn Guardian

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

Just because rangers lack active condi cleanse don’t assume other classes do as well. If you are facing anyone competent (besides another ranger who doesn’t have on demand condi clear) all they have to do is instantly cleanse after the ridiculously obvious animation and you just wasted your elite.

Just because other professions can cleanse better don’t assume their cleanses are always off CD.

Entangle is a great skill but very situational. It is strong against some but weak against others. Having 5 rangers in a zerg means 25 people immobilised for at least a second.
In solo fights, entangle can save your life and can also root an enemy if they cleansed a condition overload.

I do agree that Entangle is inferior though. Spirit and RaO are always more superior when considering versatile they are.

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

I take RaO for Stability and the extra Might.
Might affects Condi dmg and Power. So yes, it does complement a condition build!

in Ranger

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

I use entangle on random match and friendly duels… I’m always surprised that people actually stay in my roots?
The other day, I was making a “reactivity improvement” duel with a guildie… first time I cast my roots, he stays in them… so I ask him if his build has condi cleans or teleport, or something, he looks at his skills, an other necro tells him about his possibilities… so we get on… second time I use entangle… he stays in them… so I announce “you’re entangled”, almost dead, he finally gets out…
Third time entangle, he dodge the skill, fourth time, stays in them for a few seconds…

Now, I agree that high damage/reactive players won’t fall for entangle in skirmishes… but always fun to see someone die in them, or get out of them, and get stuck in them again because he passed on them on a pulse…

in Ranger

Posted by: lordhelmos.7623

lordhelmos.7623

Thieves and mesmers can boon steal RAO, turning them into gods. Take that into consideration before you glorify it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

And hint hint. If a Necromancer notices that you’ve just used RaO, he will smile gently and use his Corrupt Boon.
Don’t use it against better Conditionamncers people… Really don’t, your own elite kills yourselves

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

I wasn’t aware that having a condition cleanse makes you completely invulnerable to conditions forever.

/sarcasm

in Ranger

Posted by: urdriel.8496

urdriel.8496

Entangle needs a redesign….

in Ranger

Posted by: trunks.5249

trunks.5249

To the rangers I have encountered in spvp, please for the love of all that is good stop using entangle. Just because rangers lack active condi cleanse don’t assume other classes do as well. If you are facing anyone competent (besides another ranger who doesn’t have on demand condi clear) all they have to do is instantly cleanse after the ridiculously obvious animation and you just wasted your elite. If you aren’t going to use the OP spirit then at least use RaO, it is much more beneficial overall.

Edit: When I say OP spirit I mean the fact that it is healing more than the tooltip indicates, I actually like spirit rangers overall

i always use entangle in pvp i have not had a problem with it at all. to be honest i cant even take your post seriously. entangle is one of the best skills we have

master jedi david

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

I used to run entangle on pwr/condition build. It works great in many situations. Especially sticking opponents in traps… And anytime you are facing 3 or 4 opponents. At a minimum, you will make each put one condi removal on cool down…

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

(edited by Archon.6480)

in Ranger

Posted by: gpassucc.5961

gpassucc.5961

i always use entangle in pvp i have not had a problem with it at all. to be honest i cant even take your post seriously. entangle is one of the best skills we have

Just the fact that RaO has stability (something this class sorely lacks unless you are running a signet build) is better on average. Yes the boons can be corrupted/removed but it is significantly more common for people to have condi clears than to have boon removal.

[EG] – SoR – Persies Sunreaver (war),
Persiës Sunreaver (ele), Persiës (ranger),
Gromphe Baenre (necro), Përsies (guard)

in Ranger

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Don’t forget that mesmer and thief both can instantly port out of it They don’t even need condi clear for this one.

It is funny to use against baddie warriors or guardians in wvw though.

Ranger//Necro

in Ranger

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

infantry, use it when assaulting a tower or keep, right under the siege. Not only will it hit them, if they leave the roots will start attacking the siege. XD

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Popping entangle in a team fight can change the tide. If you wait till halfway through a team fight, the bulk of the AoE has gone off, people are low on endurance perhaps, cleanses have been popped, people are in survival mode, and then you put roots all over the cap point that can keep re-ensnaring people. I’d estimate it takes people ~2 seconds to get out of it, which is a surprisingly big deal. It’s also great on people that are low and life and get downed as it will continue attacking them. A further minor benefit is it clutters up the targeting process.

I personally prefer RaO or the spirit (even if you’re not a spirit ranger that is a good elite!) in PvP, but Entangle is equally as strong if you use them all appropriately. If you use it on a single mesmer to start the 1v1, then yes, it’s beyond worthless.

in Ranger

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Entangle should be un-blockable, un-dodgeable, and un-cleansable (if that’s a word lol). Anything short of that it’s not worth using, unless your possibly rooting a group of up-levels.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

I take RaO for Stability and the extra Might.
Might affects Condi dmg and Power. So yes, it does complement a condition build!

RaO give fury not might. Since condition don’t crit no point in using it unless your crit depended in order to stack conditions (like bleed on crit).

On another note yes it can be dodge but anything can be dodge if you see it coming. One ranger can make 5 foes waste a dodge or condition cleanse. Its worth it.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

(edited by Serraphin Storm.2369)

in Ranger

Posted by: Aegael.6938

Aegael.6938

It’s very situational. It can be incredibly powerful on the one hand and nearly a useless skill on the other. Learning when is a good to use it is very important.

In particular it’s quite effective to use against blocking enemies. Because of the lack of unblockable abilities, using one whilst someone is blocking typically catches them off guard.

If an enemy walks back into the roots (they stay if they go undestroyed) they’ll end up rooted again, so you can use this to your advantage for kiting melee enemies.

Finally, forcing your opponent to take an action (cleanse) lets you predict and determine the flow of the fight. It’s far from the worst elite skill and it definitely has its moments in all game modes.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

RaO give fury not might.

Fury, might, swiftness, and stability. The might applies to you every time your pet attacks, and to your pet every time you attack (and if you’re using a sword and/or Fortifying Bond your pet will be at max might almost instantly. Concentration Training helps you get might from your pet as well.)

In PvE you can get max might for both of you almost instantly by having a jellyfish do the swirling attack during the the boss fight of the underwater fractal.