Rangers skipped over again....

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

You can’t move side to side… I had soooooooo many bunkers/other rangers try this in tPvP as I was harassing from 2k (out of short bow range) and the just kept eating my arrows, that bug was fixed a while ago!

Lick wounds works 100% of the time until you die on a slope (needs fixing)

Can’t perma stow cause we are THE PET PROF anet doesn’t want us to perma stow they’ve said so A LOT now.

No issue w/ the rest of your post Ryan

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Aden Celeste.3650

Aden Celeste.3650

Where can I see that video? Im very displeased with how anet is handling my favorite class… Lets continue to let our voices speak our in-comfort, they need to eventually bend and finally dedicate time to this.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

Where can I see that video? Im very displeased with how anet is handling my favorite class… Lets continue to let our voices speak our in-comfort, they need to eventually bend and finally dedicate time to this.

About half way down the first page of this thread there’s a link to it.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

About half way down the first page of this thread there’s a link to it.

~55min is about where it starts, I’m still upset that we were like an after thought…

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

You can’t move side to side… I had soooooooo many bunkers/other rangers try this in tPvP as I was harassing from 2k (out of short bow range) and the just kept eating my arrows, that bug was fixed a while ago!

Can’t perma stow cause we are THE PET PROF anet doesn’t want us to perma stow they’ve said so A LOT now.

Strafing still works for me against lb autoattack at 900 maybe even less. It’s how I melt lb rangers without taking much damage (rf might land a third of its dps at most). For lb to be viable at 1200 projectile speed needs another 30% increase. Unless they plan on changing the way the weapon works.

Anyway there’s no point trolling any more about how lb is fine, as even the devs acknowledge it’s kitten

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in Ranger

Posted by: Bailey.6892

Bailey.6892

Just wondering how you are getting to 2k range.

rest of the post is wrong, as YOU can move side to side and avoid the attack.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.8367

Ryan.8367

“Can’t perma stow cause we are THE PET PROF anet doesn’t want us to perma stow they’ve said so A LOT now.”

Yea true, i agree in this regard, i forgot to put ‘in dungeons only’ which is the only place a ranger needs to have the option to perma stow and put a cd on it so you can’t abuse it or something but if the pets are going to path the way they are, it would seem like it would need to be absolutely essential to have this option in dungeons, ESPECIALLY fractals.

I did do tests on lick wound though on flat surfaces and it just seems to work at random it sometimes works and then sometimes doesnt even on a flat surface, like if there is a minor pixel changing the difference between a flat surface and curved surface, then that right there destroys the ability is what im thinking atleast. But yea, i agree, it just doesnt work 100% at all on a curved surface and from my understanding I think other classes with similar downed abilities can’t as well so but I may be mistaken on this.

Tanbin 80 Ranger
Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Not just side to side strafing. Even when someone is running horizontally across from the archer’s view, your arrows will miss by a mile.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Just because there’s a red bar on the skill doesn’t mean you won’t still hit the target, it just prevents auto attack from going.

And want a helpful tip? Shoot as they’re changing direction, it’ll hit them before they change again.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Not just side to side strafing. Even when someone is running horizontally across from the archer’s view, your arrows will miss by a mile.

Oh yeah absolutely, you can use jellyfish on land too! See how useless false information is?

in Ranger

Posted by: Pedra.4381

Pedra.4381

Just because there’s a red bar on the skill doesn’t mean you won’t still hit the target, it just prevents auto attack from going.

And want a helpful tip? Shoot as they’re changing direction, it’ll hit them before they change again.

I just want to verify that I fully understand your position so I’m summarizing it. Your position is that using the LB you can hit moving targets at 2k and not miss? Am I correct?

JonPeters.5630:]I do still believe ranger is the profession in most need of improvement…

in Ranger

Posted by: Bailey.6892

Bailey.6892

I know that the red bar dosent mean jack, I am quite familiar with anets crappy programing I do play a ranger after all.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I know that the red bar dosent mean jack, I am quite familiar with anets crappy programing I do play a ranger after all.

Then why did you ask?

@Pedra never miss? No, I’m bound to miss a few shots especially against someone with easy access to swiftness (changing movement speed makes auto aim account for them to be further before swapping). If they’re running at average speed though than ill hit them most the time.

(edited by Durzlla.6295)

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Oh yeah absolutely, you can use jellyfish on land too! See how useless false information is?

Only person that I see spewing false info is you unfortunately. Targeting barely tracks at regular range. When the target is moving horizontally, you will not hit anything when you take shots with the the out of range bar being in red. If you’re lucky, you might get 2 arrows of LB2 to land if you use zephyr.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

They need to make the longbow’s #1 fire rate faster or increase its damage or something. Honestly, the Mesmer’s greatsword is a better ranged weapon, and they’re not even advertised as a ranged class. That very fact alone should be a big, flashing sign saying, “Something about this is seriously kittened up.” Really, ANet? Really?

….the mesmer has only one melee weapon. The ranger has two.

The only reason mesmer greatsword works is because of the phantasm that does 6-7k damage after 0.25 seconds of being summoned and mesmer stealth allowing him to recreate distance.

Other than that, the mesmer’s greatsword autoattack is just as bad. It’s equally ranged cap, and it’s a long channel relative to other autoattacks like thief shortbow or warrior rifle.

The ranger longbow simply put has no attack that in the same short time windows of the warrior and mesmer does the kind of damage that a phantasmal berserker or Kill Shot does.

Rapid Fire is BAD. It’s bad damage for such a long channel.

Rapid fire can deal over 10k damage… So idk what you’re talking about with bad damage seeing as how you can pump that out from 2k range…

Then longbow #1 can crit for up to ~3.5k dmg, again from 2k distance, it’s a STRONG weapon, it just lacks in ways to reopen the gap/keep the gap open, sure there’s KB shot, but by the time you can use that it’s already lost a ton of damage from the range being closed…

10k damage in how many seconds? In Berserker gear as well, because in knight gear with 2.1k power it hits 6-7k at best.

Mesmer phantasm hits from the same long range, is aoe, and shatters also are ranged. Your arrow fires slowly at 3.5k in berserker gear max distance — the mesmer beam does the same amount, and it’s 3 hits so it’s even better for proccing crit effect sigils.

Longbow is garbage, obviously you haven’t played other classes if you think 10k on such a long channel is soooo good when you’re sitting in berserker gear and are made of toilet paper.

Hell, a warrior in knights rifle gear will crit on rifle for 11k easy.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

They need to make the longbow’s #1 fire rate faster or increase its damage or something. Honestly, the Mesmer’s greatsword is a better ranged weapon, and they’re not even advertised as a ranged class. That very fact alone should be a big, flashing sign saying, “Something about this is seriously kittened up.” Really, ANet? Really?

The only reason mesmer greatsword works is because of the phantasm that does 6-7k damage after 0.25 seconds of being summoned and mesmer stealth allowing him to recreate distance.

Other than that, the mesmer’s greatsword autoattack is just as bad. It’s equally ranged cap, and it’s a long channel relative to other autoattacks like thief shortbow or warrior rifle.

The ranger longbow simply put has no attack that in the same short time windows of the warrior and mesmer does the kind of damage that a phantasmal berserker or Kill Shot does.

Rapid fire can deal over 10k damage… So idk what you’re talking about with bad damage seeing as how you can pump that out from 2k range…

Then longbow #1 can crit for up to ~3.5k dmg, again from 2k distance, it’s a STRONG weapon, it just lacks in ways to reopen the gap/keep the gap open, sure there’s KB shot, but by the time you can use that it’s already lost a ton of damage from the range being closed…

10k damage in how many seconds? In Berserker gear as well, because in knight gear with 2.1k power it hits 6-7k at best.

Mesmer phantasm hits from the same long range, is aoe, and shatters also are ranged. Your arrow fires slowly at 3.5k in berserker gear max distance — the mesmer beam does the same amount, and it’s 3 hits so it’s even better for proccing crit effect sigils.

Longbow is garbage, obviously you haven’t played other classes if you think 10k on such a long channel is soooo good when you’re sitting in berserker gear and are made of toilet paper.

Yes I hope to god that the rangers damage is below everyone else’s because we still have this amazing thing called A PET, and a shatter from 1.2k range? Really? That’s like the most obvious thing in the world and is sooooo easy to avoid, like kill shot.

I don’t think half of you realize how ranger works, you see that it doesn’t hit as hard per hit as a warrior and scream that we’re under powered.

PS: phantasms are easy to avoid and easy to kill unless the mes has high toughness, and for the damage you’re saying that’s CLEARLY not the case here.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ezmode.4279

Ezmode.4279

the list goes on really, but these are major issues that could be dealt with before buffing #4 offhand axe or greatsword

That reminds me, old spell coefficient for axe was 0.75? Last I checked, new one was 1.2, each hit. Which part was an 85% increase?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

It’s funny how the game was advertised to have no trinity and yet here we are with warriors, mesmers and guardians…

in Ranger

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

It’s funny how the game was advertised to have no trinity and yet here we are with warriors, mesmers and guardians…

lol and tbh, Guardian = 55Monk+Smiter all in 1 Class with more hp and dps ofc.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

Yes I hope to god that the rangers damage is below everyone else’s because we still have this amazing thing called A PET, and a shatter from 1.2k range? Really? That’s like the most obvious thing in the world and is sooooo easy to avoid, like kill shot.

I don’t think half of you realize how ranger works, you see that it doesn’t hit as hard per hit as a warrior and scream that we’re under powered.

PS: phantasms are easy to avoid and easy to kill unless the mes has high toughness, and for the damage you’re saying that’s CLEARLY not the case here.

And the pet isn’t obvious? Keep talking. The difference is that the pet is gone for 45 seconds in wvw and dungeons whereas the phantasm will be up in a third of that.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

And the pet isn’t obvious? Keep talking. The difference is that the pet is gone for 45 seconds in wvw and dungeons whereas the phantasm will be up in a third of that.

Learn to Micro? I have 0 issue keeping my pets up in dungeons, WvW i don’t do much there, but when i do fight there i just keep my pet back until the zergs clash and then i throw him into the fray, normally after who ever my target is and then once they die/retreat i call my pet back, let him heal up and search out a new victim.

And the pet is clearly obvious, but you want to know some MAJOR differences between pets and phantasms? 1) Pets don’t die as easily as a Phantasm 2) Pets attack more than once ~5s, a LOT more than once ~5s. So you know what happens when an enemy is stupid and tries to dodge every pet attack and/or focus on the pet? They die, end of story, unless they burst down the pet they’re just wasting time fighting the wrong thing. And if they -do- burst down the pet and you’re running a GC build it means that you get to kill them in most scenarios because you can burst them while they attack your pet, and then when they can burst again you can too and then they die.

If i’m fighting a mesmer all i need to do to kill their phantasm (unless they’re one of those really rare toughness mesmers) is shoot it with 2 autos, and i can certainly dodge their blatantly obvious attack ever ~5s.

PS: You phantasm isn’t up 30% of the fight, your phantasm will be up for MAYBE 1% of the fight, die, and then you summon a new one, the pet can stay in the entire fight if you’re a total beast at micro even with 0 BM.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

The phantasm doesn’t need to stay up, troll. It hits in 0.25 seconds for what it would take the pet 5 autoattacks and lucky crits to do, and the whole point is you summon the phantasm and shatter him with the clones.

But by all means show those lv48+ fractal videos where your pet doesn’t die. My guess is that it will be as real as the 4k rapid fire hits you claimed in a previous thread.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

The phantasm doesn’t need to stay up, troll. It hits in 0.25 seconds for what it would take the pet 5 autoattacks and lucky crits to do, and the whole point is you summon the phantasm and shatter him with the clones.

But by all means show those lv48+ fractal videos where your pet doesn’t die. My guess is that it will be as real as the 4k rapid fire hits you claimed in a previous thread.

Um, why would i be doing lv 48+ fractals? I’m not some sort of Massochist, everyone knows once you get past lv 30 in fractals it no longer becomes a friendly place for builds and everyone needs a specific build in order to perform at all. I’m talking about in tPvP, Explo Dungeons, and you know, everything where you actually have -some- build variation.

By the way, If you haven’t noticed, pets kind of have this thing called 0 AR, so they’d get completely obliterated at lv 48 fractals regardless of how amazing you are at micro.

PS: I’ve never said anything about rapid fire hitting for 4k per hit, that’d be amazing, OP but amazing, i’ve always said my rapid fires hit for over 10k or over 10k in my GC build (granted over 10k takes a bit of luck from crits and/or other factors like might, blood lust stacks etc).

in Ranger

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

I’m guessing that a lot of people don’t know the numbers that pop up during Rapid Fire is actually the accumulating damage of the skill duration, meaning it just adds the damage from the previous shot(s) with the current shot and shows the total number, not per-hit damage. Greatsword auto + Maul come really close to the damage you deal with Rapid Fire (don’t forget bleed from Maul).

Edit: Of course, I maybe wrong. Further testing is required.

(edited by Recycle.5493)

in Ranger

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

Edit,

I posted a link to the video, and said it was about 55 minutes in. Other people posted right before I did though!

i saw the anet post symbol and thought something productive about spirits had actually been said

in Ranger

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

I’m guessing that a lot of people don’t know the numbers that pop up during Rapid Fire is actually the accumulating damage of the skill duration, meaning it just adds the damage from the previous shot(s) with the current shot and shows the total number, not per-hit damage. Greatsword auto + Maul come really close to the damage you deal with Rapid Fire (don’t forget bleed from Maul).

Edit: Of course, I maybe wrong. Further testing is required.

You are correct that rapid fire is cummulative damage, with the final damage number the total damage done with the attack. Simple watch the combat panel and you see the damage stack up.

However its also true it can hit for 10k, without zerkers gear. Ive done so many times against numerous bosses. People forget that ranger gets a base 20% crit damage from traiting alone, and with a fairly high base power (2.5k) rapid fire can easily strike for 10k when timed correctly with LB#3.

in Ranger

Posted by: NemesiS.6749

NemesiS.6749

this guy durzella obviously haven’t played a mesmer or any other class than ranger lol. I do like 4x times more damage on my mesmer than with my ranger, i have condition gear on my mesmer and im not a condition build, my first plan was to be condition but later i change my mind so i need to buy new gear. Rangers are playable but once you try other classes you see how much they really suck, they lack damage, support and just everything.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

@Nemisis, actually my main is up in the air ATM and is in a struggle between a turret engi, staff/glyph ele, scepter/torch + staff mes, and a rifle warrior (stopped playing because it was boring). I’ve played my fair share as a GS mes because that’s what all my friends said I’d like because I like the longbow on the ranger.

It really isn’t that great, sure, you can deal a TON of damage if your opponent is a complete idiot and doesn’t know how to avoid a shatter or kill/dodge ibersweker, but if you play against a player who actually knows how to fight a Mesmer you’re borderline useless.

@LB auto doesn’t hit well from range, turn off the auto attack and start shooting as they change directions to strafe, boom, you’ll hit em just about every time.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

Um, why would i be doing lv 48+ fractals? I’m not some sort of Massochist, everyone knows once you get past lv 30 in fractals it no longer becomes a friendly place for builds and everyone needs a specific build in order to perform at all. I’m talking about in tPvP, Explo Dungeons, and you know, everything where you actually have -some- build variation.

By the way, If you haven’t noticed, pets kind of have this thing called 0 AR, so they’d get completely obliterated at lv 48 fractals regardless of how amazing you are at micro.

PS: I’ve never said anything about rapid fire hitting for 4k per hit, that’d be amazing, OP but amazing, i’ve always said my rapid fires hit for over 10k or over 10k in my GC build (granted over 10k takes a bit of luck from crits and/or other factors like might, blood lust stacks etc).

I can link you the rapid fire comment you made in the other thread if you feel like continuing to lie about your posting history.

Fractals are bar none at the highest levels the most challenging PvE content, simply because you have to specialize as a group.

And pets don’t die at 48 because of AR. Agony has nothing to do with it. It has to do with 5-6 mobs cleaving even 2.5k toughness guardians for 8-9k damage each mob. Dodging and becomes an absolute necessity while maintaining full damage capacity. If you recall your pet you’re not maintaining full damage capacity.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Maybe after enough “baby steps”, we’ll be at a good spot somewhere in 2014.

if we go by current rate of improvement, we may get to the level of todays thiefs somewhere around summer 2015. And who knows what level the thiefs are on then!

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Forget baby steps Ranger seems to be set to snail’s pace.
If I recall somewhere there is a video were the developers talked about not playing wack-a-mole balancing and that no one likes for there profession to be nerfed (it may have been a second one video for the later).

Their own patch note where ranger is concerned from the BWE onward have shown that is not the case with ranger (Peter’s even joked/made light of the what they had done to the spirit based builds in the past in a State of the Game video) they have had a much heavier hand with ranger and it doesn’t seem to make any sense.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

I don’t think our weapons are that much of an issue. The longbow needs some buffing, but I feel our other weapons are in a good spot.

The core problem -including our lower weapon damage- is our class mechanic being a poorly scripted AI which we have minimal control over. All of our weapons are balanced around the fact that we always have a pet tagging along to deal damage for us. Sticking us with a permanent AI companion that cannot defend itself against GW2’s dodge or die mechanics was simply a poor design decision. Why the developers are so fervently adhering to this flawed mechanic is a mystery to pretty much everyone.

The developers seem content to integrate as much of the ranger’s utility into the pet as possible. Two of our four condition removals are reliant on our pets being alive, and near enough to us to take the conditions in the first place. One of those four condition removals is a pet skill. All of our shouts only do things for our pets. All of our signet active abilities only affect our pets unless we take a grandmaster trait.

The ranger’s core mechanic should have been something radically different. Preparations, stances, spirits, traps…anything but permanent pets. I was actually thinking about stances the other day. Activating a stance would grant different abilities, perhaps boosted stats, or added effects to weapon skills. The ranger would remain in his current stance until he either changed stances, or was knocked down/launched/stunned. Changing a stance or getting hit by one of the aforementioned control skills would cause the current stance to go on cooldown. Personally, I would be much happier with my ranger if my pet and I weren’t attached at the hip. And this is coming from someone who normally gravitates to pet classes in other MMOs.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: DiamondMeteor.8345

DiamondMeteor.8345

I’m pretty convinced that those people talking about all the professions in the State of the Game video is suffering from a mild case of autism. Seriously.

“Ummm uhhhhh oh longbow needs work ummm uhhhh oh yeah, agony for pets!”

Get your heads together and quit repeating the same mistakes you people made in GW1. I’m utterly sick and tired of seeing professions like the ranger being treated like some afterthought. 2400+ hours on ranger here, and it needs work. Now.

All the devs need to do is listen to their playerbase. Just bloody read the forums, for the love of Pete.

Ranger / Revenant – Crystal Desert

in Ranger

Posted by: Saweth You Him.9047

Saweth You Him.9047

LB and GS are the only weapons I use in WvW and those are the only two weapons getting buffs <.<. I guess I can’t complain. I don’t understand the LB survivability. #4 to kick people away and #5 to aoe cripple at 1500 range is pretty good survivability. GS #2 is mostly for decoration. The bleed is mute since it only lasts 5 seconds and if you are using a gs you probably aren’t specced for conditions. Compared to a full soldiers geared retaliation guardian or a full carrion geared corrupt boon/blood is power/plague necro a ranger probably doesn’t measure up. Necro goes blood is power -> 2,3,4,5 on staff -> 2 on scepter 4 on focus -> plague form spam aoe blindness. Ranger has barrage; QZ, longbow #2, stealth jaguar; water field; protection spirit. A warrior with longbow/hammer can hit hard with #3 on longbow against rams followed up with #2. They can immobolize with #5 on longbow for 4 seconds. The longbow adrenal ability covers a huge area. Once their adrenaline is built up they can jump off the walls and use hammer adrenal ability for 2 second stun then spam hammer skills to knock people away from rams. They have 12.5 seconds of invulnerability if traited right. Mesmer needs no comment. Their phantasms go through walls and doors. Their focus #4 skill is like Morgoth’s grip.

so sayeth the great innuendo

(edited by Saweth You Him.9047)

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

I don’t think our weapons are that much of an issue. The longbow needs some buffing, but I feel our other weapons are in a good spot.

The core problem -including our lower weapon damage- is our class mechanic being a poorly scripted AI which we have minimal control over. All of our weapons are balanced around the fact that we always have a pet tagging along to deal damage for us. Sticking us with a permanent AI companion that cannot defend itself against GW2’s dodge or die mechanics was simply a poor design decision. Why the developers are so fervently adhering to this flawed mechanic is a mystery to pretty much everyone.

The developers seem content to integrate as much of the ranger’s utility into the pet as possible. Two of our four condition removals are reliant on our pets being alive, and near enough to us to take the conditions in the first place. One of those four condition removals is a pet skill. All of our shouts only do things for our pets. All of our signet active abilities only affect our pets unless we take a grandmaster trait.

The ranger’s core mechanic should have been something radically different. Preparations, stances, spirits, traps…anything but permanent pets. I was actually thinking about stances the other day. Activating a stance would grant different abilities, perhaps boosted stats, or added effects to weapon skills. The ranger would remain in his current stance until he either changed stances, or was knocked down/launched/stunned. Changing a stance or getting hit by one of the aforementioned control skills would cause the current stance to go on cooldown. Personally, I would be much happier with my ranger if my pet and I weren’t attached at the hip. And this is coming from someone who normally gravitates to pet classes in other MMOs.

To be honest, even with the pet at full uptime, because it cannot scale with gear and at most gets 30% crit bonus damage with a trait, the pet does not compensate for the amount of damage split from the ranger’s weapons.

2.3k power and 110% crit damage bonus on a class which benefits 100% from that will always be greater than a class that benefits only 40-50% of that and the other half only gets 30% and less power bonuses.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

To be honest, even with the pet at full uptime, because it cannot scale with gear and at most gets 30% crit bonus damage with a trait, the pet does not compensate for the amount of damage split from the ranger’s weapons.

2.3k power and 110% crit damage bonus on a class which benefits 100% from that will always be greater than a class that benefits only 40-50% of that and the other half only gets 30% and less power bonuses.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!! I wish our pets got a fraction of our stats ontop of what they already have… Maybe we/they would be better off then?

in Ranger

Posted by: Little Old Lady.3742

Little Old Lady.3742

ok a day after the state of the game video… i posted eariler… come on… they talked less than 2 minutes about rangers and they said the obvious. pets need Agoney Resistance and the long bow needs some defense.

i love this game. its a great game, my favorite mmorpg.

the reason we are all grumpy is that we really like being rangers… running around with a bow and your trusty pet. we like the idea but the reality doesnt match the concept.

“lets go visit the wizards castle…. oh no, ettins are attacking. Fluffy watch out… they will rearback and smash things with their clubs. …. wow.. Fluffy you got hit with that? You are really stupid. "

so… the next “state of the game” they should just come out and say what is wrong with rangers.
they can not deny that they pretty much skipped over rangers. they talked about them for less than 2 minutes. there is video proof.

the silver lining is maybe Maybe that they have “so many notes” that they can not discuss them all, or the changes will lead to so many follow up questions that it would take the PvP focused interview off track. why did gw2guru have 2 pvp guys? no WvW or PvE? not the most balanced interview.

i really want to find the silver lineing really really want to be complaining that pets are op and other players complaining about how rangers are too powerful.

if thiefs are too be the slipperiest profession. than rangers should be the most versitile. traites should allow for the most types of builds.

they admitted that the builds for many professions are not so varied. if they really go with what they said…. improve the rarely used traits and weapons then we might get a better balance. and rangers will be happy.

Little Old Lady, Sea of Sorrows, Robot Adventurers [RA], Tokyo Japan.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

ok a day after the state of the game video… i posted eariler… come on… they talked less than 2 minutes about rangers and they said the obvious. pets need Agoney Resistance and the long bow needs some defense.

i love this game. its a great game, my favorite mmorpg.

the reason we are all grumpy is that we really like being rangers… running around with a bow and your trusty pet. we like the idea but the reality doesnt match the concept.

“lets go visit the wizards castle…. oh no, ettins are attacking. Fluffy watch out… they will rearback and smash things with their clubs. …. wow.. Fluffy you got hit with that? You are really stupid. "

so… the next “state of the game” they should just come out and say what is wrong with rangers.
they can not deny that they pretty much skipped over rangers. they talked about them for less than 2 minutes. there is video proof.

the silver lining is maybe Maybe that they have “so many notes” that they can not discuss them all, or the changes will lead to so many follow up questions that it would take the PvP focused interview off track. why did gw2guru have 2 pvp guys? no WvW or PvE? not the most balanced interview.

i really want to find the silver lineing really really want to be complaining that pets are op and other players complaining about how rangers are too powerful.

if thiefs are too be the slipperiest profession. than rangers should be the most versitile. traites should allow for the most types of builds.

they admitted that the builds for many professions are not so varied. if they really go with what they said…. improve the rarely used traits and weapons then we might get a better balance. and rangers will be happy.

1. silver lining is when they mentioned rangers he said “notes everywhere!” So I’m hoping he got overwhelmed with the shear amount of buffs/changes to be able to answer properly.

As for the pets, it’s no secret that they’ve been working on pet AI (improving it) since Beta, and my god has it improved, it certainly needs love still, but I feel once they get that very complicated task done we will be in a VERY good spot.

in Ranger

Posted by: Elitejelly.7462

Elitejelly.7462

I see this is a hot topic.
I agree with rangers need more attention. I always get teased because i play and enjoy my ranger. would be nice if people would welcome rangers into wvw, dungeons, etc.

IM SO HYPED FOR HOT I CAN FLIP A TABLE.
(/o_o)/ |_|
hype over.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I agree with rangers need more attention. I always get teased because i play and enjoy my ranger. would be nice if people would welcome rangers into wvw, dungeons, etc.

I’ve never had issues, I’ve had a few “omg your pets still alive?!?” Responses in a handful of dungeons… But It’s usually in fights that its not even hard to do… Like the ice dog giant things in the Kodan instance path 2

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

They talk about all the bugs necros have
they talk about engineers for like 10 minutes
they talk about eles and the nerfs they need
they talk about mesmers at length

They get to rangers…and spend 1 minute talking about how pets in fractals will benefit from your agony resistance…and how great sword needs a buff.

WHAT ABOUT SPIRITS
WHAT ABOUT LONG BOW
WHAT ABOUT OFFHAND AXE
WHAT ABOUT PET PATHING
WHAT ABOUT PET ABILITY DELAY
WHAT ABOUT PET REZ NOT WORKING ON ANYTHING BUT FLAT SURFACES
WHAT ABOUT THAT kitten SB NERF THAT WAS A “GRAPHIC FIX”

The state of the game today was nothing but proof that they don’t care about Rangers at all…

What about Pets not being permanently stow-able
What about one handed sword locking you to a target and not being able to dodge..

These are serious issues…

in Ranger

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

Same here. Not by strangers, but by the people I play with (jokingly, not to be mean). My group of friends consist of a Guardian, Thief, Elementalist, Warrior and Mesmer so they chuckle at me when I play my Ranger. When we do group fights in WvW, we usually target the Profession’s with the least “escape/oh-crap” buttons, which is normally the Engineer/Ranger/Necro because we know we can pin them down.

My biggest problem with my Ranger is the fact that a lot of the time I get Out of Range, Miss, Obstructed for NO REASON. It’s frustrating trying to land Longbow hits and I’m being told I’m out of range even though I’m within 1100 range (and spec’d for 1500).

Also, channeling Rapid Fire for FIVE SECONDS is a joke in PVP. The only good that comes from it is tracking down thieves temporarily.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

Same here. Not by strangers, but by the people I play with (jokingly, not to be mean). My group of friends consist of a Guardian, Thief, Elementalist, Warrior and Mesmer so they chuckle at me when I play my Ranger. When we do group fights in WvW, we usually target the Profession’s with the least “escape/oh-crap” buttons, which is normally the Engineer/Ranger/Necro because we know we can pin them down.

My biggest problem with my Ranger is the fact that a lot of the time I get Out of Range, Miss, Obstructed for NO REASON. It’s frustrating trying to land Longbow hits and I’m being told I’m out of range even though I’m within 1100 range (and spec’d for 1500).

Also, channeling Rapid Fire for FIVE SECONDS is a joke in PVP. The only good that comes from it is tracking down thieves temporarily.

This is plain wrong. An engineer with pistol/shield, toolkit, elixir s, and trait basically has 4 immunities that he can chain for pretty much around 10 seconds of total immunity. If he brings elixir gun on top of that, he gets a backward leap on top of it all.

A ranger with monarch’s leap+lightning reflexes+all his evades should have no issues disengaging either. Of course stealth is the best mechanic, but to put ranger and engi with necr4o is an insult to both — necro has absolutely no escape other than blowing Plague.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

The solution isn’t buffing damage on our weapons, it’s fixing the foundations. i can move side to side from a distance and dodge lb auto attack, why?

my pet does square-shaped pathing (forms a square when pathing) when people circle strafe making it nearly impossible for the pet to hit them, why?

for true condi removal you’re being forced to use up a utility slot for 1 condi removal every 10 seconds and have to use a healing spring only to hope you can stay in it for atleast 2 seconds to get a pulse or 2 from spring, why?

lick wounds when downed doesn’t work 90% of the time, why?

f2’s take roughly 3-4 taps (and sometimes actually will refresh the skill causing it to time out for 2 seconds before being able to use again because you have to spam the button to even get it to work WHILE youre being attacked and having to survive) unless you just switched the pet, why?

pets can’t take an aoe blast without spontaneously combusting unless you run bear pet (hint hint: goes back to sacrificing surviviability because our pets suck in the first place), why?

no perma stow option, why?

the list goes on really, but these are major issues that could be dealt with before buffing #4 offhand axe or greatsword , try fixing those foundations and then let rangers test out greatsword in the state it is , then we can move on to simply buffing damage on these weapons as it will be much more accurate.. does anyone else agree with me here? i mean , truthfully, like I said before… if our pets truly pathed well and truly did 50% of our damage, the ranger forums would be flooded with ‘NERF NERF NERF’.

i may just be the only one who feels this way

No all those are valid issues in my opinion and every one i agree on..

“Can’t perma stow cause we are THE PET PROF anet doesn’t want us to perma stow they’ve said so A LOT now.”

Yea true, i agree in this regard, i forgot to put ‘in dungeons only’ which is the only place a ranger needs to have the option to perma stow and put a cd on it so you can’t abuse it or something but if the pets are going to path the way they are, it would seem like it would need to be absolutely essential to have this option in dungeons, ESPECIALLY fractals.

I did do tests on lick wound though on flat surfaces and it just seems to work at random it sometimes works and then sometimes doesnt even on a flat surface, like if there is a minor pixel changing the difference between a flat surface and curved surface, then that right there destroys the ability is what im thinking atleast. But yea, i agree, it just doesnt work 100% at all on a curved surface and from my understanding I think other classes with similar downed abilities can’t as well so but I may be mistaken on this.

Dungeons only? are you joking? Jump puzzles, open world and wvw unless you are physically fighting with the pets they are at least a inconvenience or a down right death sentence, for you and your party…

(edited by Dante.1508)

in Ranger

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

In general, I think the ranger needs to be buffed to the point of being overpowered and then scaled back.

Right now, I can count on one hand the amount of decent rangers I have encountered in 1k+ hours of PvE and WvW.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Peter.9406

Peter.9406

That’s how I felt after just watching it. They talked about buffing longbow, GS, and agony which are all great. But pets and spirits need to be worked on to improve build diversity and improve the classes core mechanic.

Also, I still don’t understand how banners are being buffed yet spirits which are essentially the same ‘totem’ concept they talked about are significantly weaker and aren’t being worked on. Banner are indestructible and can be moved untraited while spirits can be killed and need to be heavily traited to be mobile. And then they are working on increasing the buffs on banners while not on doing so on the spirits which need it so much more? WHY ANET?

in Ranger

Posted by: AIMonster.8236

AIMonster.8236

Devs just can’t seem to get balance right on a Ranger. Our main problems right now are due to pets and just being a lame mechanic in general (they can’t stick to targets due to path finding and inability to keep attacking while moving as many of their abilities root them in place, the pet activation skills are completely unusable most of the time due to delays) and obstructed issues with ranged weapons (I get obstructed when literally nothing is blocking the target, and even pets and friendly players can cause me to become obstructed). Our melee weapons are fine and actually output decent damage, GS included for what it is (a tanky / skirmish weapon), though it’s understandable that maul is getting a buff as it’s not very good compared to the rest of the GS skills.

Still, it’s shocking when we gets buffs to things like Lick Your Wounds which is already extremely powerful and makes us impossible to 1v1 underwater and almost acts as a free revive when it works because in that situation it works 100% of the time, instead of an actual fix to the skill which doesn’t work the majority of time (slightly over 50% in my experience) when we’re downed. Or that our shortbow is continually overlooked after it received a major (yes a 10% damage decrease and 20% during QZ is significant) nerf. Other shocking things included nerfs to Warhorn 4 skill, (it’s actually useless now for it’s cast time), axe main hand and traits, and Sharpening Stones which seem to be due to the strength of our condition stacking in beta which was due to the way the bleed sigil and trait worked and was overnerfed when that was changed.

I actually do think Ranger is in good shape right now in all aspects of the game, certainly not as horrible as people say. Most people are using horrible utilities like Signet of Hunt and Sharpening Stones and a good number of our utilities are holding us back and could use a revamp. I’ve logged over 1300 hours on Ranger and am happy with the class but I can see buffing it in many areas here’s some suggestions:

- Increased damage and utility with our Ranged weapons. Our DPS underperforms (especially when you consider we rely on a pet that isn’t able to stick on a target or dies quickly in PvE, we only match Warrior’s rifle in DPS when we have optimal conditions which you have to consider won’t happen with a pet in WvW) any other ranged damage profession and we are forced into single target mostly. Every ranged weapon including MH Axe could probably use a bit of an overhaul.
- Improvements to pets in general. Mainly their responsiveness and ability to CONSISTENTLY output damage. A slight reduction to AoE damage they would take, even if it required being traited into, would be welcome too.
- Stop forcing us to spec 30 points into trait lines to make utilities useful. As far as I know, no other profession suffers from this problem like Rangers do. In order to make our Spirits useful we require 30 points in Nature Magic. Signets require 30 points into Marksmanship. Traps require 30 points into Skirmishing.
- Many of our utilities are completely lackluster and could use an revamp.
- Our ranged attacks need to be “obstructed” far less. Something is clearly wrong here. If I can see the target and nothing appears to be in the way I should not be getting obstructed. Same goes for random “out of range” when the target is clearly in range.
- Sword animation lock on the second autoattack is annoying, especially with quickness. It would be nice if we can cancel this animation into things like dodge roll and other skills more fluidly. Same goes for the actual counterattack on GS 3. These two things tend to get me killed in a frustrating fashion too often.

Currently I’m playing a Ranger full melee because we are hardly the ranged damage profession you want us to be. I use GS + Sword/Axe primarily in WvW (Sword/Dagger in SPvP), the Warhorn for the 5 skill only buffs out of combat, the Torch for fire fields before engagement, and only equip a Longbow (Shortbow is the only Ranger weapon I do not carry) for Barrage on siege or when WvW is particularly laggy that Sword is unusable.

Also I’m wondering why people say the offhand axe needs improvements. The weapon got buffed in a recent patch and actually is our highest burst damage weapon. Path of Scars and Whirling Defense are both fantastic skills in WvW against zergs and are useful in other aspects of the game as well.

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

They force us to be supports, meanwhile the “no-trinity” concept requires everyone to be bit of everything, anytime they want.

As a Ranger, I highly disagree with being only for support. I want to fight like a Man, and we have every right to do it so.

Meanwhile Licking Wounds works Equaly in Water (Others can just vanish to safety except Warriors), in ground, it means very less in solo. If an AOE effect downed us, we can’t get out, the pets die and stop healing, skills are interrupted. Many cases I had no opportunity to survive, because the heal I made wasn’t enough to get up. So it should work with drag-away at least, and/or getting invulnerability while pet absorbs the damage on healing us. A single risen noble can pwn us in downed…

Spirits are die as fast as pets anyway. And they’re not giving effective benefits.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

(edited by RoyalPredator.9163)

in Ranger

Posted by: Renagade.2918

Renagade.2918

I honestly dont care about half the ranger problems, with the right build most of them can be avoided (Shortbow condition/trap build works well) What makes me really sad is that after 7 months pets still dont revive heal you 100% of the time when you call them whilst downed… such a small problem and yet it affects the entire class. Im sick of wiping because my pet just stands next to me like a moron while monsters finish me off…

in Ranger

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

If the ranger class is in the hands of those guys, we are all doomed. There is no enthusiasm whatsoever when talking about this class. None. It’s more like the necessary chapter that needed to be addressed. And read out from the notes as well, despite the fact that there was so little to remember in the first place.

This interview shows you exactly why the ranger is where it is now, with persistent bugs that haven’t been fixed since beta. They don’t give an ounce about this class.