Rangers, test your bows please!

in Ranger

Posted by: ski.4927

ski.4927

So…

I am one of us many Rangers who started with and loved his longbow, until he reached high level PvP and realized that it had issues. Namely, only about half of my shots actually landed while the rest gave me random obstructed, missed, or other random excuses for not hitting.

Since that time, I have been a bunker Ranger (as bunkerish as we get anyway) and actually having a good time. Like many of you, I was super excited for this last big patch after the promises we got from J.P., only to be crushed when the patch hit and we saw little of anything we were hoping for.

That said, I have been toying around with other classes, but I keep coming back to the Ranger because I simply love the feel of it. Yesterday, for S&G, I grabbed my Zerker gear out of the bank, dusted it off, and respecced to glass cannon longbow just to remind myself of just how bad it is. Fastened all my armor on, grabbed my longbow, and headed to WvWvW.

Expecting the worst (as bad as I remember it) I stated shooting at people. o my amazement, my arrows hit them. Like almost all of my arrows. So I tried shooting at people who were running sideways… hit, hit, hit. So I tried shooting at people who were running on uneven terrain and hills… hit, hit, hit. Granted, I was a squishy kitten, but I was hitting like a truck. Perhaps not hitting like a freight train like the soon-to-be-weepy thieves do, but still… my damage was decent enough to not make me cry. Damage aside, I only saw an occasional “obstructed” or the like.

So. TL;DR:
ANet has a tendancy to stealth change things without telling us. Please dust off your longbows and see if I had the luckiest streak of my Ranger career, or if longbows have been, at least partially, fixed.

Thanks!

-Turkish Krul
Dragon Brand

Turkish Krul – Druid

in Ranger

Posted by: Azrhyel.3942

Azrhyel.3942

Definately no fix…

I have a feeling they might have slightly tweaked some vars a bit about a week ago but still you can sidestep-evade like 90% if you concentrate on that one ranger attacking you.

in Ranger

ski.4927

Remember….I just did this yesterday. I was out there for almost two hours and didn’t really experience any of the old moments of “Holy kitten, I just shot at that guy 10 times and only hit him twice”. Any tests over this last week don’t help me. I need people testing it out today.

Turkish Krul – Druid

in Ranger

Posted by: Sir Wai.4052

Sir Wai.4052

If you noticed a recent patch they did alter something. For instance the burrows in AC can now be hit with arrows instead of obstructed, after this the random obstructed have lessen but not completely disappear

in Ranger

Posted by: Antigono.1258

Antigono.1258

i think if they fix something for rangers, and after the rage of this forum with the last patch, they will notify us.
unless they have fixed something without realizing it. in that case, shhh! or they will roll back it!!
remember, we are rangers and rangers seem to deserve to suffer

in Ranger

Posted by: Drasleona.5049

Drasleona.5049

Definately no fix…

I have a feeling they might have slightly tweaked some vars a bit about a week ago but still you can sidestep-evade like 90% if you concentrate on that one ranger attacking you.

and this is a problem because? it existed in gw1 and not a single ranger started crying over it. it just meant they had to play smarter to land their hits. also i can sidestep bait out of a double pistol thief unload without using dodge, should i be penalized for it, i dont think so because it takes a lot of freaking effort and skill to pull off. the thing with being able to dodge arrows is, if you are not able to then it just becomes wow combat. it means as soon as you hit a button you are guaranteed a hit. im so happy this is not the case for gw2 with almost any skill, apart from ones designed in a way that are not dodge-able without using endurance dodge.

[VexX]Feared Sniper -JQ Since BWE1
Lvl 80 Beast Master Ranger
VexX Gaming United

in Ranger

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

Definately no fix…

and this is a problem because? it existed in gw1 and not a single ranger started crying over it. it just meant they had to play smarter to land their hits. also i can sidestep bait out of a double pistol thief unload without using dodge, should i be penalized for it, i dont think so because it takes a lot of freaking effort and skill to pull off. the thing with being able to dodge arrows is, if you are not able to then it just becomes wow combat. it means as soon as you hit a button you are guaranteed a hit. im so happy this is not the case for gw2 with almost any skill, apart from ones designed in a way that are not dodge-able without using endurance dodge.

If they were hitting for 5k noone will bother,But the 2k-3k max dmg in power-crit dmg build aint worth the 9/10 miss.And why Warriors longbow has not the same fate?Is it meant for Warriors to have easy time but the Rangers must suffer?

BTW ive noticed too some change but nothing big.i thought it was my idea…or it was?

in Ranger

ski.4927

I would be fine with my miss rate if the rest of the ranged weapons in the game had the same miss rate, but the Warrior’s rifle and bow hit fine, the thief short bow hits fine, the ranger short bow hits fine, the engineer rifle hits fine, yadda yadda yadda…

However, the Ranger longbow’s current damage added to its miss rate is the problem. It does not hit hard enough to only land half the shots at best.

Turkish Krul – Druid

in Ranger

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I use a short bow all the time, it isn’t fine, the damage is low, and I get invulnerable, obstructed (By what ?) and evaded, so what little damage it does do is reduced by about 50% anyway.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Ranger

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

tested this to see if problem was fix. but jsut as many random miss, obstructed, and invulnerables.

maybe you got lucky, or maybe the problem has something to do with connection to the server.

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

in Ranger

Posted by: Glektor.2934

Glektor.2934

This is just another placebo effect that hits people everytime there’s a patch
Wishful thinking and hoping for positive, hidden changes

in Ranger

Posted by: CENSOR.6081

CENSOR.6081

>
<
>
<
’ ’

Infinite evasion.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zen.2450

Zen.2450

Definitely no fix, still get all the bugs like gangbusters in WvW.