Rangers wanted, pets optional

in Ranger

Posted by: KStudios.2850

KStudios.2850

Disclaimer: Not intended as a hate or whine thread. Please review/comment objectively.

Am I alone in sometimes wishing pets could be “turned off” entirely? Seriously, in my opinion the pet should not make/break the profession. In the original Guild Wars it was often rare to even see a ranger with a pet outside of Jade Quarry PvP (even having a pet active took up one or more of your eight skill slots). We were trappers, interrupters, and professional aggro pullers/manipulators. In those things we had legitimate strategic purpose as a class. We had a solid range of diversity that I’d really like to see again.

When I see dev posts here in the ranger forums, most of what I see is “we’re aware pets need adjustments and this is where we’re focusing.” Why? I grieve because I love the profession, it easily being my favorite; and yet I can’t always find a group for dungeons and fractals outside of my guild. To make it worse, this is often for good reason, my pet. They run ahead and draw aggro if not properly watched and maintained. Mine is usually placed on docile the entire time unless on a boss where at least they can soak a few hits for me or someone else. Which comes to the second part, pet survivability. Most of them dying within a few hits in direct enemy agro. Amidst a slew of other noteworthy (mostly AI based) issues. I won’t even touch upon pets in PvP arenas like WvW, because doing so I believe will broaden the scope of the conversation beyond its necessary limits.

Again, I’m not trying to troll or toss another “oh woe is me” post here. I want legit opinions on this. Why is something that should at best be an add-on or perk completely defining the ranger class? Me, I’d be perfectly happy being able to stow the pet away if I so chose (outside of combat only of course, as the option should not be allowed during to prevent any sort of infight stat manipulation). In doing so getting all my own damage output returned to me directly instead of being consolidated between two entities, and maybe having something cool like one extra bar on my endurance for one extra dodge or something.

Thoughts?

Yumiko Togashii
Commander to [SLVR], Housepet to [GH]

(edited by KStudios.2850)

in Ranger

Posted by: Wispy.8679

Wispy.8679

I’ve lost count of how many of these threads have been made, if you’re going to make such a long post use the search function beforehand to avoid reiterating what has been asked countless times before. A lot of people don’t like pets, a lot of people do like pets, and Anet balances the profession around permanently having an active pet. They will not be made optional anytime soon, if ever.

[VoTF] – votf-online.net/

in Ranger

KStudios.2850

I’ve lost count of how many of these threads have been made, if you’re going to make such a long post use the search function beforehand to avoid reiterating what has been asked countless times before. A lot of people don’t like pets, a lot of people do like pets, and Anet balances the profession around permanently having an active pet. They will not be made optional anytime soon, if ever.

Then instead of basically telling me not to post because I’m walking a well trodden path, why not tell me what I’ve hit or missed since you’ve apparently seen such threads? As for no apparent help being forthcoming… Most unfortunate.

Yumiko Togashii

in Ranger

Posted by: Wispy.8679

Wispy.8679

Ranger
•The ranger class combines its own innate abilities with the skills of their pets. We’ve balanced the class around the idea that you always have a pet with you to aid in any fight.

But if you insist on the discussion, as I said before, you can use the search function as every possible suggestion, critique, positive or negative of making pets an optional playstyle, and every method of employing such a mechanic has already been stated, I don’t understand why you feel it necessary to make a new thread to bring up a discussion that has already been completely discussed? Either post the suggestions in one of the threads already made on the subject or even in https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Robert-Hrouda-on-pets-in-dungeons/page/10#post1602217 which has dev attention at the moment.

[VoTF] – votf-online.net/

in Ranger

KStudios.2850

Well, that is progress one supposes, and congratulations on that. Also, a heartfelt thanks for linking the post in general. It appears at a glance to be an interesting read, and read it I no doubt shall. I do however, not see the direct relation to my post in general. I’m not asking for a black widow spider health buff. I’m asking for opinion(s) on the optional removal or stowing of what I consider to be a malfunctioning and grievously gangrenous limb (the pet) from the overall body (the ranger profession).

As stated:

Why is something that should at best be an add-on or perk completely defining the ranger class?

Yumiko Togashii

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

You are not alone…

I never used them in GW1 on my Ranger, why must i be forced too in GW2?

We should have a choice like Necros have a choice…

in Ranger

Posted by: Bri.8354

Bri.8354

Pets and companions in general just aren’t advanced enough compared to players. In the original Guild Wars pets, spirits, and minnions were very useful because of the bulky combat shared by both players and NPCs. There was no dodging and you couldn’t use attacks or skills on the move which put players at an equal level with NPCs.

But to survive in this game they expect players to use smart positioning and doges, neither of which companions have access to. To pursue targets they expect players to attack while moving and use leaps, neither of which companions have access to.

This is the mistake I see, making something so primitive and ineffective as the rangers class mechanic. Other classes also have companions available to them yet you rarely see any experienced players using them for good reason. The ranger however, is stuck with one and even gets a cut in his damage because of it!

While it would be nice to be able to get rid of the pet and a damage boost in its place, or to just redesign the ranger giving them a new class mechanic, I don’t believe anything like that will be done. Pets and companions in general are flawed and need to be fixed, and maybe after that having a pet as a class mechanic won’t be so bad. Until then however, we are stuck with a broken mechanic that takes away from our damage.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Because its not a perk its a defining feature. If you removed pets (temperally or permentantly) what would be the rangers defining mechanism.

On a side noteI dont have trouble find groups with my ranger. I also dont refuse someone for a group becuase they are a ranger, however if i was in a group and the ranger chose to set his pet on passsive that wasnt giving any bonus i probly would’nt accept that ranger in a group. If you tried to manage your pet and fail totally i would be more will to add you the future because you are trying to become a better ranger.

Rather then just totally choosing to reduce your damage by 40%. It would be based on your proformance not your class.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

(edited by Serraphin Storm.2369)

in Ranger

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

Because its not a perk its a defining feature. If you removed pets (temperally or permentantly) what would be the rangers defining mechanism.

Weak argument. Defining feature? What, warriors have 1 addional skill and even can trait to don’t use it. Guardians have 3 skills that are great passives. Most necros use DS as addional hp bar. Why our “feature” is 30-40% of our dmg, can die and is hardest one to use?

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Disclaimer: Not intended as a hate or whine thread. Please review/comment objectively.

Am I alone in sometimes wishing pets could be “turned off” entirely? Seriously, in my opinion the pet should not make/break the profession. In the original Guild Wars it was often rare to even see a ranger with a pet outside of Jade Quarry PvP (even having a pet active took up one or more of your eight skill slots). We were trappers, interrupters, and professional aggro pullers/manipulators. In those things we had legitimate strategic purpose as a class. We had a solid range of diversity that I’d really like to see again.

When I see dev posts here in the ranger forums, most of what I see is “we’re aware pets need adjustments and this is where we’re focusing.” Why? I grieve because I love the profession, it easily being my favorite; and yet I can’t always find a group for dungeons and fractals outside of my guild. To make it worse, this is often for good reason, my pet. They run ahead and draw aggro if not properly watched and maintained. Mine is usually placed on docile the entire time unless on a boss where at least they can soak a few hits for me or someone else. Which comes to the second part, pet survivability. Most of them dying within a few hits in direct enemy agro. Amidst a slew of other noteworthy (mostly AI based) issues. I won’t even touch upon pets in PvP arenas like WvW, because doing so I believe will broaden the scope of the conversation beyond its necessary limits.

Again, I’m not trying to troll or toss another “oh woe is me” post here. I want legit opinions on this. Why is something that should at best be an add-on or perk completely defining the ranger class? Me, I’d be perfectly happy being able to stow the pet away if I so chose (outside of combat only of course, as the option should not be allowed during to prevent any sort of infight stat manipulation). In doing so getting all my own damage output returned to me directly instead of being consolidated between two entities, and maybe having something cool like one extra bar on my endurance for one extra dodge or something.

Thoughts?

I think the pet -should- be a defining role of the prof, HOWEVER, i don’t think you should be forced into having it out all the time, i think it should be a sort of come and go thing that you could trait into (or hell just have the option by default) to have out permanently, but not doing so wouldn’t punish you. Then again, never using your pet, EVER should kitten you and stop you from performing to your full potential but so should -always- using the pet.

I think the person who described it perfectly is Swagg on his post in Robs thread, i’m going to post Swaggs picture in my post it is -not- mine

Link: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Robert-Hrouda-on-pets-in-dungeons/page/7#post1590895

EDIT: I have no idea why the picture is showing up so small when i try to upload it, if anyone else is having the issues just go to the link and look at Swaggs pic.

Attachments:

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

(edited by Durzlla.6295)

in Ranger

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

Well, that is progress one supposes, and congratulations on that. Also, a heartfelt thanks for linking the post in general. It appears at a glance to be an interesting read, and read it I no doubt shall. I do however, not see the direct relation to my post in general. I’m not asking for a black widow spider health buff. I’m asking for opinion(s) on the optional removal or stowing of what I consider to be a malfunctioning and grievously gangrenous limb (the pet) from the overall body (the ranger profession).

As stated:

Why is something that should at best be an add-on or perk completely defining the ranger class?

I do agree with Wispy, although you put your point across well, another thread really wasn’t needed. I guess if you hang out in the Ranger forums a lot you just get a little sick of seeing the same things cropping up, it’s in no way a personal attack. From the thread he linked to you here is a direct quote from Dev Robert Hrouda that specifically addresses your issue:

“There have been some calls for perma-stowed pets, and while I have said this in other areas I will say it again here. I don’t think we will let you perma-stow pets – the main reason being we want the player to be interacting with the pet, and the pet to be part of the identity of the player. The role of ranger is to to have a pet in our game, and with that comes a bit of extra micromanagement that comes with the package. Right now the micromanage is difficult and more tools are desired, and I honestly feel that once we make micromanaging pets easier, more responsive, and better in general that players won’t mind that they don’t have perma-stow capabilities.”

I must say from a personal perspective that I would never want to get rid of my pet. I use it a lot in all content and very rarely put it on passive. The biggest single change you could consider making is binding attack and retreat to 2 side mouse buttons (this same binding works wonders for other classes too). This allows me to quickly control my pet mid-battle without forcing my fingers into come off my skills keys. It may seem like a tiny change but it makes all the difference for me. Also binding your heal to middle mouse button is really handy too.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

(edited by Rhaps.8540)

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

I’ll third Wispy’s sentiment.

Take a moment to reflect and collect your thoughts, and start making some suggestions in Mr. Hrouda’s thread. We could use some solid clever suggestions from the non-micromanagement side.

in Ranger

KStudios.2850

You are not alone…

I never used them in GW1 on my Ranger, why must i be forced too in GW2?

We should have a choice like Necros have a choice…

My feelings exactly. The Necro’s minions are often a tremendous boon, and they have connecting skills and traits to help them utilize and take advantage of their critters. While not necessarily being bound to them directly, as Rangers are.

I do agree with Wispy, although you put your point across well, another thread really wasn’t needed. I guess if you hang out in the Ranger forums a lot you just get a little sick of seeing the same things cropping up, it’s in no way a personal attack. From the thread he linked to you here is a direct quote from Dev Robert Hrouda that specifically addresses your issue:

“There have been some calls for perma-stowed pets, and while I have said this in other areas I will say it again here. I don’t think we will let you perma-stow pets – the main reason being we want the player to be interacting with the pet, and the pet to be part of the identity of the player. The role of ranger is to to have a pet in our game, and with that comes a bit of extra micromanagement that comes with the package. Right now the micromanage is difficult and more tools are desired, and I honestly feel that once we make micromanaging pets easier, more responsive, and better in general that players won’t mind that they don’t have perma-stow capabilities.”

Disheartening. Then in my opinion we will always be “g-word,” the favorite term of those who speak against our profession. Not only am I burdened to have to micromanage a separate creature in combat, unable to ever fully focus on the fight at hand, when said creature dies I am penalized not only in that a significant portion of my damage output being gone. Also in any buffs or perks it was providing me. Don’t get me wrong, I like the fact that they grant such things, however. Oftentimes, if both pets die (which in places like WvW is frequently, cause it’s not like other players don’t know this) I’m left in this particular state until the pet-swap cooldown cycles through.

It doesn’t bother anyone else that every other response in any “tips for new ranger” thread that appears is usually upon the lines of “Yeah, roll a warrior, thief, guardian, etc”? Another familiar one being, “want GW2 hardmode? Roll a ranger.”

Yumiko Togashii

in Ranger

Serraphin Storm.2369

Weak argument. Defining feature? What, warriors have 1 addional skill and even can trait to don’t use it. Guardians have 3 skills that are great passives. Most necros use DS as addional hp bar. Why our “feature” is 30-40% of our dmg, can die and is hardest one to use?

It is what it is I didn’t design the game. It has been like that since beta. I know alot of you come from WOW where if you didnt what to do something or didnt like the way something looked you could mod it or use a script. Accept the reality of what the ranger is/isn’t and based on that decide if you want to continue to play one.

Understand somethings are core and wont change easily.

everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

KStudios.2850

Accept the reality of what the ranger is/isn’t and based on that decide if you want to continue to play one.

I do not adhere the notion that one should or should not seek to improve something, merely because it is “traditional” or has a specific appeal. I have emphasized throughout this entire post that choice (and the need for more of it) is the biggest matter in this, and as of present we have none. Rigidity in one’s beliefs has never, and will never, produce change. Favorable or otherwise.

On that same coin, I have not by any means claimed the path I’m seeking opinion on alone is right for everyone. To make such an assumption is blatantly biased. Thus, I am open to suggestion and/or exchange and deliberation.

You are happy the way things stand as is. There is nothing inherently wrong with this. I am pleased that you are thusly pleased. I do not believe asking to explore something closer to my favorite profession’s predecessor is in any way unreasonable, nor game breaking however. We could certainly use that kind of versatility once more. =)

Yumiko Togashii

in Ranger

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

It is what it is I didn’t design the game. It has been like that since beta. I know alot of you come from WOW where if you didnt what to do something or didnt like the way something looked you could mod it or use a script. Accept the reality of what the ranger is/isn’t and based on that decide if you want to continue to play one.

No, I’m from GW1, where it was normal they turned a class upside down in 1 path. As I stated in other topics, there are other solutions – support pets etc.

in Ranger

Vox Hollow.2736

I do not believe asking to explore something closer to my favorite profession’s predecessor is in any way unreasonable, nor game breaking however. We could certainly use that kind of versatility once more. =)

Then take a moment to organize your thoughts, and distill the appealing elements of what you were familiar with in a way that works within the framework of the discussion.

For the record, that discussion is;
- Ranger must work with pets
- Solution should work for people with varying levels of multitasking skills.
- Pets must be made more survivable in dodge/kite heavy content but not more survivable in dodge/kite lite content
- Ranger mechanics can’t change from one game-mode to another.
- Solution should not involve changing a stat across the board (AOE resistance), and try to involve Pet AI, Mechanics, or player actions.

If you’re current desires seem at face value contradictory to the framework of the discussion, step back for a moment and think of approaching the problem from a new creative angle that isn’t. It isn’t in the best interest of the class to have one side of a viewpoint contributing, and another side refusing to engage entirely.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

in Ranger

Posted by: Taril.8619

Taril.8619

I don’t get the argument “I like pets” as a point against having optionally to not use one. Given the option, people who like pets can still use them whilst those that don’t (Or don’t want to put up with it for a specific event) could opt out of having their DPS dragged down by having a dead pet by their side due to AoE’s.

Ideally they’d improve pets to the point where it’s possible to keep them alive and it’s fun to play a ranger with a pet whilst also having the option to get rid of the pet and get a boost to damage (At the cost of “On pet swap” traits and utility/burst damage provided by a pet)

Thus keeping Rangers unique mechanic as pets without having to constantly use a pet (Petless boosts could be based off various pet families, giving unique F2 abilities along the same lines as some of the pet F2’s)

“Pull the trigger, move out ahead,
There’s two kinds of people… The quick and the dead”

in Ranger

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

I PvP mainly and I haven’t found any problems with the ranger in 1v1s, except thiefs of course. Yea, maybe I can’t use greatsword whirlwind and whip out 10k damage, but after playing for so long and understanding how every single class works, I find that the ranger can easily kill every class (except thief). I don’t get where all this negative talk about the ranger is coming from. If it’s about PvE, then I wouldn’t know cause I don’t do any dungeons.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I PvP mainly and I haven’t found any problems with the ranger in 1v1s, except thiefs of course. Yea, maybe I can’t use greatsword whirlwind and whip out 10k damage, but after playing for so long and understanding how every single class works, I find that the ranger can easily kill every class (except thief). I don’t get where all this negative talk about the ranger is coming from. If it’s about PvE, then I wouldn’t know cause I don’t do any dungeons.

Lol we can’t whirlwind for 10k but we sure as hell can rapid fire for +10k! Masters of the bow indeed!!

@Rest if people; I’m really dumbfounded that our class mechanic didn’t deal with our nature attunement (expertise) or preparations, because those were significantly more “ranger” in GW1 than pets, granted pets were a big thing, but it’s like MM for necros, not everyone used it, but kitten near every ranger had a ton of expertise and a prep or two!

in Ranger

Posted by: BlackhawkSOM.6401

BlackhawkSOM.6401

In dungeon , pve and WvWvW pets dies 90% of the time in a matter of seconds. In spvp where thing are less hectic they do survive if your not in a mid point or zerged on.

Pets in this game for ranger are so broken its not even funny. I wish I could turn them off everyday as I feel they are holding me back.

Retuxan-80 Ranger-Rank 40
Jade quarry, MoG

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Lol we can’t whirlwind for 10k but we sure as hell can rapid fire for +10k! Masters of the bow indeed!!

@Rest if people; I’m really dumbfounded that our class mechanic didn’t deal with our nature attunement (expertise) or preparations, because those were significantly more “ranger” in GW1 than pets, granted pets were a big thing, but it’s like MM for necros, not everyone used it, but kitten near every ranger had a ton of expertise and a prep or two!

Oh no, this is GW2. If you want preps you have to roll a thief. Anet decided the best part of our class shouldn’t stick around for 2.0 is seems.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Serraphin Storm.2369

This isnt GW1. In GW1 you had two profession that fact alone is a huge departer from GW1. The trinity has changed (even thought some of you can’t get it out of your head). People compare traits, perks and mechanisms. They are not the same. In Gw2 if its on your fkey its a mechanism. Fkeys are not the only mechanism for some classes. If its tie to a weapon the it is also a mechanism like mesmer clone and thieves stealthing.

When you refuse to learn you class core mechanism you are serverally gimping your class. What is a thief without stealing,backstab and stealthing. Or a Mesmer without clones. Of course you can chose not to use these things just as some rangers refuse to manage thier pets. Yes you can chose to be an Ele and stay in water attunement but then you are cutting your damage in half.

Traits can buff your mechanisms. Perks are thing that are nice to have but not required.

When asking to have a core mechanism changed you need a better arguement than:
1) Why do I have to do xx when other classes dont have to xx.

2)I don’t want to learn how to x and its broken anyway. (What you say has no weight until you have learned it).

3)I don’t like this \it wasn’t in GW1.

Once you have an arguement that does contain one of these present a solution thats not going to require 1000 man hrs. to implement unless it affect everyone or at least 1/3 of the population (guard comes to mind as it affected WvW). A ranger specific problem affects 1/8 of the population if all classes were equally played.

When you have a solution take the time to come up with possible abuses or side effect of adding said improvent or solution.

Having the option for taking or not taking a pet in trade for damage would result in players who chose to use pets being scorned because the player base is wrongly or rightly damage centric. Which in turn would make a core mechanism obselete. Making rangers pets (40 + pets) a non-functioning appendage. Reducing Rangers to a generic light armored warrior.

in Ranger

Serraphin Storm.2369

This isnt GW1. In GW1 you had two profession that fact alone is a huge departer from GW1. The trinity has changed (even thought some of you can’t get it out of your head). People compare traits, perks and mechanisms. They are not the same. In Gw2 if its on your fkey its a mechanism. Fkeys are not the only mechanism for some classes. If its tie to a weapon the it is also a mechanism like mesmer clone and thieves stealthing.

When you refuse to learn you class core mechanism you are serverally gimping your class. What is a thief without stealing,backstab and stealthing. Or a Mesmer without clones. Of course you can chose not to use these things just as some rangers refuse to manage thier pets. Yes you can chose to be an Ele and stay in water attunement but then you are cutting your damage in half.

Traits can buff your mechanisms. Perks are thing that are nice to have but not required.

2)I don’t want to learn how to x and its broken anyway. (What you say has no weight until you have learned it).

Once you have an arguement that does contain one of these present a solution thats not going to require 1000 man hrs. to implement unless it affect everyone or at least 1/3 of the population (guard comes to mind as it affected WvW). A ranger specific problem affects 1/8 of the population if all classes were equally played.

When you have a solution take the time to come up with possible abuses or side effect of adding said improvent or solution.

Having the option for taking or not taking a pet in trade for damage would result in players who chose to use pets being scorned because the player base is wrongly or rightly damage centric. Which in turn would make a core mechanism obselete. Making rangers pets (40 + pets) a non-functioning appendage. Reducing Rangers to a generic light armored warrior.

in Ranger

Serraphin Storm.2369

Oh no, this is GW2. If you want preps you have to roll a thief. Anet decided the best part of our class shouldn’t stick around for 2.0 is seems.

The preps in gw1 were significant damage boost with all things considered consumables,sigs and ally buffs they would of had to nerf them or our weapons probly to the point where it was no long feasible to use them or required. Faced with those two alternatives we are better without them.

in Ranger

KStudios.2850

Then take a moment to organize your thoughts, and distill the appealing elements of what you were familiar with in a way that works within the framework of the discussion.

For the record, that discussion is;
- Ranger must work with pets
- Solution should work for people with varying levels of multitasking skills.
- Pets must be made more survivable in dodge/kite heavy content but not more survivable in dodge/kite lite content
- Ranger mechanics can’t change from one game-mode to another.
- Solution should not involve changing a stat across the board (AOE resistance), and try to involve Pet AI, Mechanics, or player actions.

If you’re current desires seem at face value contradictory to the framework of the discussion, step back for a moment and think of approaching the problem from a new creative angle that isn’t. It isn’t in the best interest of the class to have one side of a viewpoint contributing, and another side refusing to engage entirely.

-You’re restricting yourself to a any framework at all? I am not. I’m seeking to expand upon that which I’m already confined by default. Yes, we are told, “Ranger must work with pets.” My question is why? Why am I so irrevocably chained to my dear Tooki? A lovable, furry, and fiercely loyal shackle… but a shackle nonetheless
- So by this you’re saying they’re researching possibly giving pets even MORE buttons and tabs? This is a slope most treacherous.
- I in no way disagree with this. For those that wish to keep their pets around, they should be able to live with them.
- Again, I’m not asking for an overall class change. I have little issue with the majority of the traits and skills I’m given (well, perhaps aside from the fact that thieves get a skill that mimics [Entangle], a ranger elite, on a slightly lesser level as a first tier skill for one point in cost… but this is another discussion entirely). I’m asking to have returned to me the damage percentage my pet inflicts, and as stated above one extra NON-UTILITY SKILL TOGGLED dodge, or one other small mobility perk, might be nice. You’re telling me this is unreasonable or in any way game shattering? That’s difficult to see.
- None of the above mentioned do any such thing. Minus perhaps the damage, which one way or another is already mine to begin with. I just want it to come from me directly, that is all I’m asking.

Framework of whose discussion? As I openly stated to Wispy back in post number four, I’m not intending to adhere to any previous conversation of the ranger profession. I’m not asking that my owl be given six inch talons with which to rend Graul faces. I’m asking why I’m restrained from my very rightful stats to a creature , and then penalized for its death, as if it should somehow affect me at all. Do you share any measure of your strength and/or natural senses with your housecat? I’d certainly hope not… that would be weird and unnatural. At that point it would no longer be a housecat as we know it, but instead some oddly cute parasite.

Yumiko Togashii

in Ranger

Vox Hollow.2736

We know where the dialogue with the developers is at now,
anything else is just navel gazing.

You’re welcome to navel gaze to your heart’s content, just don’t be surprised when alot of people don’t really engage you, because anyone whose been on this sub-forum for any appreciable length of time is pretty much navel gazed out.

in Ranger

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

[/quote]

You have this bizarre desire to defend what already is the case against those who want to imagine it otherwise. Perhaps you’re under the assumption that the devs popped out a nearly flawless game and it’s up to all us plebes to accept the game as it is? I don’t buy that at all, and I don’t understand your incessant policing of forum threads that seek to offer creative alternatives to what’s currently in place. What’s your issue, for instance, with offering feedback along the lines of, “I don’t like it?” I can’t even name an MMO that doesn’t value the feedback of its players. Indeed, failing to adequately respond to player desires and concerns potentially leads to an MMO’s demise. “I don’t like it,” then, is a pretty useful bit of feedback.

You seem to hold to the equally bizarre idea that, should a player dare suggest an alternative to what’s currently in place, then that player must take into account all possible repercussions of implementing that change, not to mention taking into account all potential labor issues. This is monstrously silly. For starters, not many of us are in any position to even begin to calculate what is or isn’t feasible for the dev team to produce or change (let alone what they’re willing to change). Second, even Robert Hrouda acknowledged that bad or unfeasible ideas are often great springboards for other, perhaps more productive, ideas.

Personally, I don’t want a mandatory pet as a ranger. I’m drawn to the class because I love the concept of a nature-oriented archer, not because I want a near-useless stray mutt limping after me. Your response to such remarks has been something along the lines of, “Tough. L2p. It’s a core mechanic; this isn’t GW1.” You seem unable to recognize that it’s precisely that core mechanic – pets – that’s being called into question. Reminding us all that pets are intended to be a defining characteristic of the ranger class is irrelevant when the feedback offered is precisely that many players do not like that mechanic, and wish it were optional.

Given that absolutely no MMO perfectly resembles what it was upon release, advocating for radical class changes isn’t too far-fetched. Look at WoW. There’s not a single class that resembles anything like it was in vanilla, let alone BC or WoTLK.
No, this obviously isn’t WoW, but this is an MMO, a living, constantly changing thing, and I see no reason to try and silence radical proposals for change by imposing bizarre criteria for what counts as valid feedback.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

The only real issue I have with ArenaNet’s concept of the Ranger is that my pet has to account for ~40% of my damage. Because of its mediocre ‘AI’, inability to hit moving targets reliably and subsequent deaths whenever an AoE is flung in its general direction; you are left with a Ranger operating at ~60% potential most of the time in damage-heavy encounters (WvW and dungeons).

In a nutshell; the Ranger’s damage potential is kitten because there is too much (theoretical) damage potential allocated to a secondary computer controlled entity that does not function properly.

Next to that we have this active combat system where positioning and dodging are key to survival. Yet our pets can’t position nor dodge and basically seem to operate with a limited version of WoW style AI mechanics (and there pets had 90% reduced damage from AoE to compensate for their limited AI).

As such I believe that ArenaNet should change the Ranger60%/Pet40% to Ranger80%/Pet20%. Bring the focus back that our pet is a ‘support class’ with a special ability to supplement our own arsenal; not something that takes away 40% of the Ranger’s damage potential but is incapable of providing it during combat.

Next up they should focus on giving pets the same Agony Resistance as the Ranger and either give the pet some form of passive defenses to help it survive. A passive resistance to AoE spells and effects could be such a means of defense.

But I sincerely hope they will not simply add more and more buttons so we will effectively be forced to micromanage 2 characters in order to function. If we are forced to play with a computer controlled entity, at least try and give it some form of ‘intelligence’.

Just my opinion on the matter…

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Ranger

KStudios.2850

We know where the dialogue with the developers is at now,
anything else is just navel gazing.

You’re welcome to navel gaze to your heart’s content, just don’t be surprised when alot of people don’t really engage you, because anyone whose been on this sub-forum for any appreciable length of time is pretty much navel gazed out.

This is fine. I’m not necessarily asking a dev anything. If I wanted a dev, I’d directly seek out a dev and nobody else short of a dev. If a dev decided to chime in, that’s fine. Devs are no more or less people than anyone else. This is not necessarily the case however. I’m addressing YOU I want YOUR opinion, the players. My fellow rangers. Yet I find myself oddly beset upon by hostility, snarky comments about how I should be pleased with the status quo when the status quo is plainly bugged and glitching out, or those trying to cage or quantify my ideas. Conversation is the written or verbal exchange of thoughts and ideas. It inherently requires no real binding. Yet instead what you’ve offered thus far is that you’ve apparently caged yourself within a “framework” of discussion.

Yumiko Togashii

in Ranger

KStudios.2850

The only real issue I have with ArenaNet’s concept of the Ranger is that my pet has to account for ~40% of my damage. Because of its mediocre ‘AI’, inability to hit moving targets reliably and subsequent deaths whenever an AoE is flung in its general direction; you are left with a Ranger operating at ~60% potential most of the time in damage-heavy encounters (WvW and dungeons).

In a nutshell; the Ranger’s damage potential is kitten because there is too much (theoretical) damage potential allocated to a secondary computer controlled entity that does not function properly.

Next to that we have this active combat system where positioning and dodging are key to survival. Yet our pets can’t position nor dodge and basically seem to operate with a limited version of WoW style AI mechanics (and there pets had 90% reduced damage from AoE to compensate for their limited AI).

As such I believe that ArenaNet should change the Ranger60%/Pet40% to Ranger80%/Pet20%. Bring the focus back that our pet is a ‘support class’ with a special ability to supplement our own arsenal; not something that takes away 40% of the Ranger’s damage potential but is incapable of providing it during combat.

Next up they should focus on giving pets the same Agony Resistance as the Ranger and either give the pet some form of passive defenses to help it survive. A passive resistance to AoE spells and effects could be such a means of defense.

But I sincerely hope they will not simply add more and more buttons so we will effectively be forced to micromanage 2 characters in order to function. If we are forced to play with a computer controlled entity, at least try and give it some form of ‘intelligence’.

Just my opinion on the matter…

This… THIS

Greetings, oh ye of like mind.

-Sigh of relief in knowing one is not alone in free-flowing objective thought after all-

This as well, would at least be a step in the direction I’m looking at. Though there are admittedly times when I’d rather simply be rid of my pet entirely. Especially in dungeons, fractals, and WvW.

Yumiko Togashii

in Ranger

KStudios.2850

Personally, I don’t want a mandatory pet as a ranger. I’m drawn to the class because I love the concept of a nature-oriented archer, not because I want a near-useless stray mutt limping after me. Your response to such remarks has been something along the lines of, “Tough. L2p. It’s a core mechanic; this isn’t GW1.” You seem unable to recognize that it’s precisely that core mechanic – pets – that’s being called into question. Reminding us all that pets are intended to be a defining characteristic of the ranger class is irrelevant when the feedback offered is precisely that many players do not like that mechanic, and wish it were optional.

The part that so utterly befuddles me is this feeling that they got it so much more right the first time. With the ranger more so than any other profession. It was diverse, it was versatile, it was in large part magnificent. And true, we’re not asking to go back to the original game. Yet it feels like with our profession that we’ve lost so much.

No… Now I can sit for up to two hours or more in Lion’s Arch or any other dungeon gathering venue and wait for a group. Then to finally get one, and when my icon pops up in team have someone say, “…Wait, you’re a ranger?” Anet, there is pain in this. Why is it we’re not being heeded? We are told to deal with what we’ve been given, and yet we’re still that lone little kid on the playground nobody wants to play with.

Frustrating. =)

Yumiko Togashii

in Ranger

Vox Hollow.2736

I’m sorry, dude, I just can’t.
It’s nothing personal, as Rhaps said, you’re very articulate and you present your points well. It’s just that it’s been months of this. Months. I just don’t have the energy and patience to deal with it anymore.

in Ranger

KStudios.2850

Now you might say, “Well just give me some buffs for when the pet’s stowed to make up the difference”. At this point there’s no reason to ever take the pet out, and what’s worse is that you’re now playing a class that has nothing to set it apart from any other. Bows are not Ranger-exclusive (Warrior, Thief), nor are Traps (Thief), nor are pretty light clothing.

Precisely the point of this entire post. A stowed pet would no longer be granting the ranger anything at all. All former base stat consolidation between ranger and pet would be no more, and everything originally shared with the pet would be returned to the ranger themselves. We’re wanting the ability to go completely petless if we so desire. And for rangers then being outclassed in every conceivable way by every other prof, separate topic entirely, and we’re working on that one too.

As for other profs using bows. True, but I’m sorry, we do it better. Thieves especially, while having pretty and overall very flashy arching shortbow skills, are not terribly useful with them unless perched somewhere firing down on an opponent or being used to run away quickly (all they’re really used for in WvW). Since all other thief shortbow skills are easily sidestep-able.

Yumiko Togashii

in Ranger

Posted by: Taril.8619

Taril.8619

A good third of a Ranger’s damage (or more in some cases) is pocketed up in her pet. A petless Ranger would be horrendously kitten and if you buffed him to compensate you’d be terribly strong (because your pet would still be adding his damage).

Now you might say, “Well just give me some buffs for when the pet’s stowed to make up the difference”. At this point there’s no reason to ever take the pet out, and what’s worse is that you’re now playing a class that has nothing to set it apart from any other. Bows are not Ranger-exclusive (Warrior, Thief), nor are Traps (Thief), nor are pretty light clothing. Basically you can’t expect to be roleplaying as Link or Linkette from Hyrule because the class ambiguities in GW2 demand sharper focus.

1) I don’t think I mentioned giving 100% of your damage back from stowing the pet.

2) You’ll miss out on utility provided by pets, burst provided by pets, defence provided by pets and all the traits that affect pets and pet swapping by choosing to stow the pet.

3) I mentioned having thematic boosts based off pets to counter the “You’ll have no class mechanic with no pet” argument. Which could be stuff like Power/Precision boosts with Felines/Birds, Power/Vitality with Bears/Spiders etc. With unique F2 skills corresponding with pets you choose so you at least keep some relevance to pets and pet skills.

“Pull the trigger, move out ahead,
There’s two kinds of people… The quick and the dead”

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Now you might say, “Well just give me some buffs for when the pet’s stowed to make up the difference”. At this point there’s no reason to ever take the pet out, and what’s worse is that you’re now playing a class that has nothing to set it apart from any other. Bows are not Ranger-exclusive (Warrior, Thief), nor are Traps (Thief), nor are pretty light clothing.

Precisely the point of this entire post. A stowed pet would no longer be granting the ranger anything at all. All former base stat consolidation between ranger and pet would be no more, and everything originally shared with the pet would be returned to the ranger themselves. We’re wanting the ability to go completely petless if we so desire. And for rangers then being outclassed in every conceivable way by every other prof, separate topic entirely, and we’re working on that one too.

As for other profs using bows. True, but I’m sorry, we do it better. Thieves especially, while having pretty and overall very flashy arching shortbow skills, are not terribly useful with them unless perched somewhere firing down on an opponent or being used to run away quickly (all they’re really used for in WvW). Since all other thief shortbow skills are easily sidestep-able.

We -aren’t- outclass -you- and all the other rangers that don’t know how to manage their pets are being outclassed.

And you want the pet to give you the stats you share with it back? Fine, that’d be the equivalent of how you are now since we don’t share a single thing with our pet atm, the pet has its own stats entirely.

PS: I don’t think you’ve actually used or fought against a good shortbow thief if you think all their skills are easily sidestep able and/or useless

in Ranger

Posted by: Stalkarn.1329

Stalkarn.1329

“… A lot of people don’t like pets, a lot of people do like pets, and Anet balances the profession around permanently having an active pet….

Thats why we need an option. That way everyone is happy.
And no not reroll as warrior because he/she is not a ranger.
To be dependent on a stupid AI with avarage lifetime of 3 seconds (I exaggerate a bit here, yes) is unappealing sometimes.
The ranger class in Guild Wars was perfect. You could take your pet with you or leave him.

in Ranger

Posted by: vitali.1609

vitali.1609

We -aren’t- outclass -you- and all the other rangers that don’t know how to manage their pets are being outclassed.

And you want the pet to give you the stats you share with it back? Fine, that’d be the equivalent of how you are now since we don’t share a single thing with our pet atm, the pet has its own stats entirely.

PS: I don’t think you’ve actually used or fought against a good shortbow thief if you think all their skills are easily sidestep able and/or useless

LOL, I would love to see a video of a “pro” ranger using his pet in a high lvl fractal.
Please link one since theres sooo many that have no problems whatsoever with the pet.
Better yet why dont you post one for us so we can see how a pet is supposed to be managed in a fractal.
Thankyou in advance

P.S. The pets are garbage in this game and giving some the option of having one or not needs to be done.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

LOL, I would love to see a video of a “pro” ranger using his pet in a high lvl fractal.
Please link one since theres sooo many that have no problems whatsoever with the pet.
Better yet why dont you post one for us so we can see how a pet is supposed to be managed in a fractal.
Thankyou in advance

P.S. The pets are garbage in this game and giving some the option of having one or not needs to be done.

Um, really? Fractals? -that’s- what you’re complaining about? The only reason our pets are issues in high fractals is from them having 0 agony resist, take off your ascended armor and tell me how well you’d last there, what? The same duration? Imagine that….

Once they fix pets so they gain their masters Agony Resistance they won’t be an issue there.

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Thankyou in advance

Um, really? Fractals? -that’s- what you’re complaining about? The only reason our pets are issues in high fractals is from them having 0 agony resist, take off your ascended armor and tell me how well you’d last there, what? The same duration? Imagine that….

Once they fix pets so they gain their masters Agony Resistance they won’t be an issue there.

Any of my pets except bears die to a single dredge bomber in a matter of seconds in level 10 fractals. Agony isn’t the only issue. Even if it was, there’s still this issue where the jade maw loves to target pets with its eye laser of death.

Pets are nothing but a target against the jade maw, and they can’t even pick up a crystal. All they do is make the fight take longer than it should.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Thoughts?

It’s been asked. It has been answered. The answer is no.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Thankyou in advance

Any of my pets except bears die to a single dredge bomber in a matter of seconds in level 10 fractals. Agony isn’t the only issue. Even if it was, there’s still this issue where the jade maw loves to target pets with its eye laser of death.

Pets are nothing but a target against the jade maw, and they can’t even pick up a crystal. All they do is make the fight take longer than it should.

Mesmer clones take more JM aggro than ranger pets…I mean, if you’re only level 10 FOTM and you’re struggling, well, it’s because you’re level 10 FOTM and you’re not good at it yet. There are people level 71+ playing ranger on FOTM. They’re not on here complaining…they’re out there dominating PvE.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: ampy.1387

ampy.1387

Best way is just to micromanage your pet. Leave your pet on guard and manually have it attack when you feel the need for it to attack. I find this very useful in dungeons and FotM. It just takes timing and practice. If you believe you can make “your” Ranger viable to the game then make it viable to “yourself.” The way you play your Ranger will always be different from how others will play theirs. Each player has their own style and that’s what makes our class unique despite all the issues we have

Music is the Weapon of the Future.

ïryss | Engineer

in Ranger

KStudios.2850

And the answer, is plain unacceptable.

Yumiko Togashii

in Ranger

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

The answer the devs are proposing is making pet more balanced, less buggy, more responsive and easier to micro. I can accept that answer.

Sadly I think you will be waiting a very long time indeed if you want them to reverse their ideas of how the Ranger core mechanic should work. They want it to work for us and they want us to use it. If you don’t like the pet then Ranger really isn’t the class for you I’m afraid.

Good thing there are plenty of other great classes to choose from.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Thankyou in advance

Mesmer clones take more JM aggro than ranger pets…I mean, if you’re only level 10 FOTM and you’re struggling, well, it’s because you’re level 10 FOTM and you’re not good at it yet. There are people level 71+ playing ranger on FOTM. They’re not on here complaining…they’re out there dominating PvE.

I never said anything about struggling at level 10. I said that pets struggle at level 10. even if they had agony resistance. As for mesmer clones taking more aggro from the maw, that’s not true. Mesmer clones are optional, ranger pets are not.

Also, if rangers are playing around in level 71 fractals, they are not using their pets for much of anything.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

KStudios.2850

The answer the devs are proposing is making pet more balanced, less buggy, more responsive and easier to micro. I can accept that answer.

Sadly I think you will be waiting a very long time indeed if you want them to reverse their ideas of how the Ranger core mechanic should work. They want it to work for us and they want us to use it. If you don’t like the pet then Ranger really isn’t the class for you I’m afraid.

Or for anyone else who likes doing dungeons or high level fractals outside their guilds apparently. Where pets are not welcomed. We will continue to be shunned as outcasts.

Yumiko Togashii

in Ranger

Posted by: WhiteRose.6934

WhiteRose.6934

Or for anyone else who likes doing dungeons or high level fractals outside their guilds apparently. Where pets are not welcomed. We will continue to be shunned as outcasts.

Shunned as outcasts? Goodness your life must be so hard. Let’s cut the melodramatics shall we?

I don’t know what game you’re playing where rangers are useless and weak. Whenever I’m in wvw or spvp I always seem to be getting downed by a smug ranger a mile away just chasing me with rapid fire+quickness and a wolf fearing away people that try and save me. And in dungeons I know a ranger who is always in my group who is amazing at their class, and I’ve never heard him complain that his pet was holding him back.

Maybe I’ll try a ranger for a while, I’ve been thinking of leveling a 5th. I’ll try out this terrible class that’s rejected and shunned by society.

Genesis Theory [GT] – Henge of Denravi