Retired #1 Ranger sharing the build he used

in Ranger

Posted by: NaturalPortman.9562

NaturalPortman.9562

I am very widely known as the number 1 ranger in places such as NA, AUS , CH , kitten and recently AFRICA.

This is the exact build I used to use,

Pets are double ravens, enjoy.

http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simulator.php#1.6.3.12.13.0.31.31.13.0.133.139.141.144.0.1.1.8.0.0.0.391.0.0.409.415.416.426.0.0.440.445.0.0.10.30.10.20

Elite : swapped out for the situation.

(im a girl btw)

(edited by NaturalPortman.9562)

in Ranger

Posted by: Gojak.8395

Gojak.8395

Thanks, I shall try this. I’ve been looking for a melee build to use.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Looks like an evasion tank mixed with some damage from pets, not interested. Glad you are confident in your skills, Id love to kill you sometime. However you are retired, assuming you are quitting ranger or gw2, I plan on doing the same soon.

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Looks like an evasion tank mixed with some damage from pets, not interested. Glad you are confident in your skills, Id love to kill you sometime. However you are retired, assuming you are quitting ranger or gw2, I plan on doing the same soon.

I have changed to engineer because of slick shoes. And you would not kill me, I am number 1.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: Garo.5304

Garo.5304

Thanks for the laugh

in Ranger

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

Thanks for the laugh

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

I have changed to engineer because of slick shoes. And you would not kill me, I am number 1.

Anytime lol, slick shoes? Really? Why that specific skill?

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Slick shoes healed my diabeetus
- Voz

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Slick shoes healed my diabeetus
- Voz

I can understand then. It has that soothing quality.

in Ranger

Posted by: Leuca.5732

Leuca.5732

I like Eagle/Hawk myself. Also why would you bother with the 10 in Nature when you could put 10 more into BM, get 10% of healing into power and get passive regen+boost your pet spike, which is the goal anyway?

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

I like Eagle/Hawk myself. Also why would you bother with the 10 in Nature when you could put 10 more into BM, get 10% of healing into power and get passive regen+boost your pet spike, which is the goal anyway?

Because the regen is slow and not too helpful, I think protection is way more valuable. The whole point is to survive long enough for you to kill the enemy. And the ravens already hit like trucks.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Leuca.5732

Because the regen is slow and not too helpful, I think protection is way more valuable. The whole point is to survive long enough for you to kill the enemy. And the ravens already hit like trucks.

I guess I’ve just never felt short on protection with the 15 WS trait. I run Valkyrie Amulet and hardly ever have a problem dying. I also find the regen very useful; it’s not hugely significant on the player but it’s a much bigger heal tick on the pet, and birds are very squishy.

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

I guess I’ve just never felt short on protection with the 15 WS trait. I run Valkyrie Amulet and hardly ever have a problem dying. I also find the regen very useful; it’s not hugely significant on the player but it’s a much bigger heal tick on the pet, and birds are very squishy.

And then you run into SUR WILLIAM MARSHALLLLLL and he drops you like a rock :P

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Birds dont die because your burst has to do with swapping alot.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Leuca.5732

And then you run into SUR WILLIAM MARSHALLLLLL and he drops you like a rock :P

Actually he just drops a rock.

in Ranger

Leuca.5732

Running Eagle/Hawk I don’t find myself swapping quite as often because I’m not swapping to get the F2. The recharge on their F2 is just stupid good and the damage decrease isn’t that bad; they still hit pretty hard and add some bleed to boot, which helps me deal with frequent stealthing mesmers and thieves.

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Running Eagle/Hawk I don’t find myself swapping quite as often because I’m not swapping to get the F2. The recharge on their F2 is just stupid good and the damage decrease isn’t that bad; they still hit pretty hard and add some bleed to boot, which helps me deal with frequent stealthing mesmers and thieves.

Eagles and hawk are pretty good too, but I just love the heavy burst the ravens give out. Can basically drop classes like thieves / mesmers instantly.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: Fjandi.2516

Fjandi.2516

I think protection is way more valuable.

Idd bro idd that’s why dwayna runes are not the best.
I heard you are best ranger in antarctica as well but no you won’t stand a chance against those africans. Gl on the engi.

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

I think protection is way more valuable.

Idd bro idd that’s why dwayna runes are not the best.
I heard you are best ranger in antarctica as well but no you won’t stand a chance against those africans. Gl on the engi.

I sometimes switch them out for forge, but actual regen boon heals quite abit. Healing while evading = proactive. Evading while you have protection = wasting protection.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Fjandi.2516

I sometimes switch them out for forge

Eheh, now i like you. I kinda agree on your point tho, since my build is quite different.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

This build is only good for point holding, support heals. It’s a basic TPvP build.

I don’t recommend this build outside of TPvP.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenyoga.6910

Zenyoga.6910

I’ve recently been min/maxing the ranger since trying out the classand this is an interesting choice, I like their damage to. However while testing their attack/hit consistency on a mob/player they miss a lot more in comparison to the wolf or spiders. How were you able to consistently able to land their damage? If a player is constantly moving in their long pause swoop attacks will miss a lot and the since their basic is a double slash you miss out on double your auto’s a lot…….

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Just out of curiosity, how does one become “very widely known” in NA, AUS, CH, and Africa, from playing Guild Wars 2? Do you travel a lot?

Also, how does that build work? The damage is almost nonexistent..

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

I’ve recently been min/maxing the ranger since trying out the classand this is an interesting choice, I like their damage to. However while testing their attack/hit consistency on a mob/player they miss a lot more in comparison to the wolf or spiders. How were you able to consistently able to land their damage? If a player is constantly moving in their long pause swoop attacks will miss a lot and the since their basic is a double slash you miss out on double your auto’s a lot…….

All the tools you need to get your birds in range are there. You have a great gap closer (swoop) which is also a leap finisher, and you have cripple for days on sword dagger. You want to watch their dodge rolls / protection and then go for the double raven blinding slash burst which will do around 7k-15k dmg.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Just out of curiosity, how does one become “very widely known” in NA, AUS, CH, and Africa, from playing Guild Wars 2? Do you travel a lot?

That’s my secret.

And clearly you have never played with ravens.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

That’s my secret.

lol okay..

So the ravens are all the damage you need? Interesting. It still seems like you could have more damage output, though. I mean, why all the healing?

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

That’s my secret.

lol okay..

So the ravens are all the damage you need? Interesting. It still seems like you could have more damage output, though. I mean, why all the healing?

Because going berserker melee is suicide on ranger. The great thing about ranger is that pets stats are completely seperate from yours, allowing yourself to build yourself tanky and still have great damage.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: Banjal.7328

Banjal.7328

Why use birds?Cat’s are the the best DPS pets.

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Disagree. Birds also have a big range on their f2.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: Lelouch.8452

Lelouch.8452

lol to that xD raven’s burst is in a 14 1/2 (traited) seconds cooldown xD if u have warhorn (u don’t even need it, but fury/might is handy) and quickness on swap, I don’t see cats being a shadow of raven’s damage. and the best part, u r tanky as hell and regen is out of the roof. plus, raven’s blind, cats don’t xD

Best Looking Ranger in NA :D
http://www.twitch.tv/midori_ryuuk

in Ranger

Posted by: Schmir Noff.7953

Schmir Noff.7953

I use the same build/weaponsetup, with 0/0/30/10/30 traitline and with the wolf and drakehound.
I give a try to ravens.
What sigils did you use in the 3 weapons?

in Ranger

Fjandi.2516

It’s funny some ppl think bunker rangers can’t do much dmg.
Oh btw i don’t really understand why you posted the build here. I mean this way every kid and his dog can just copy it.
Lol i remember a few months ago bm tree was commonly considered bad, good times. I still like all the qq about 1h sword autoattack tho.

in Ranger

Posted by: Panic.5264

Panic.5264

Out of curiousity… how are you widely known as the #1 Ranger? I myself play Ranger, religiously frequent most GW2 related sites, live in North America, and I have never heard of you.

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Oh btw i don’t really understand why you posted the build here. I mean this way every kid and his dog can just copy it.
Lol i remember a few months ago bm tree was commonly considered bad, good times. I still like all the qq about 1h sword autoattack tho.

I love hearing about rangers having no burst, bad rangers will always be bad. And I thought I would share with the community because I quit ranger.

The great thing about ranger bunker is that you can kill someone 2v1 if you play exceptionally well. Another great thing is evade attacks don’t decap nodes.

edit: I promise you if you play this build right you will never lose a 1v1. And yes I had to 1v1 many times as a side point bunker whether or not you guys think 1v1ing is a bad idea in tournies it does happen occasionally.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Zenyoga.6910

I love hearing about rangers having no burst, bad rangers will always be bad. And I thought I would share with the community because I quit ranger.

The great thing about ranger bunker is that you can kill someone 2v1 if you play exceptionally well. Another great thing is evade attacks don’t decap nodes.

edit: I promise you if you play this build right you will never lose a 1v1. And yes I had to 1v1 many times as a side point bunker whether or not you guys think 1v1ing is a bad idea in tournies it does happen occasionally.

Im glad your sharing, I was a pretty good necro for Team Tsunami and I’ve done all I can to give people tips and builds that are good as a necro. I’ve been playing the Ranger a week now and its in my opinion such a burly class, at times disgusting if pets are working consistently. The only potential things wrong with it from what I can tell is there are other classes that offer more vital things within Tpvp (better tanks, better bursters, team portal/quickness from mesmers, rezzes aoe/poison/condition necro pressure.(but I’m still going to find more niches for it, I think the build I’m making could have a place as a pressurer/roamer/secondary point helper/defender). Let me know what you think of these 2 builds and your thoughts from your ranger background (They are almost identical with slight mods, I’ve min maxed everything within a 30 second fight context to offer highest damage/survivability). I’m gonna give ravens a try now that I see their potential as strictly burst and not just pressure (since they miss more often than the ones I chose).

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMMQJATVjAV91RWCWsWCi2DNlJMxew/DxovAvgSWRUA;TsAA1CnoQygkAJLSOkkINC5EymAA

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMMQJATVjAV91RWCWsWCi2DNlpzzew/DxovAvgSWRUA;TsAA1CnoAzAmAMLYOwkgNC5EymAA

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

True, ur tanky burst is too much, I just die from your sheer awesomeness.

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

1v1 does happen but building purely for that is near useless in group fights. I personally love sniping so whether on ranger or rifle warrior I build for group sniping, sit uptop and pick off people at half hp, I rack up kills so fast. Rangers do have burst, its not the issue, the problem are when you go for that burst you tend to have a super squishy pet on top of him being bugged out the kitten and he dies in seconds lowering your burst significantly. Ive had several run ins with evasion tank bunkers, leuca is definitely the best Ive fought so far, but as you say they can win 2v1s if played right, so much regen and evasion its just hard to combat. My guardian is the only toon i have that can beat them consistently.

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

1v1 does happen but building purely for that is near useless in group fights. I personally love sniping so whether on ranger or rifle warrior I build for group sniping, sit uptop and pick off people at half hp, I rack up kills so fast. Rangers do have burst, its not the issue, the problem are when you go for that burst you tend to have a super squishy pet on top of him being bugged out the kitten and he dies in seconds lowering your burst significantly. Ive had several run ins with evasion tank bunkers, leuca is definitely the best Ive fought so far, but as you say they can win 2v1s if played right, so much regen and evasion its just hard to combat. My guardian is the only toon i have that can beat them consistently.

It has its roles in team fights too. Such as snaring the target for your team, since you have all the cripple in the world.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Im glad your sharing, I was a pretty good necro for Team Tsunami and I’ve done all I can to give people tips and builds that are good as a necro. I’ve been playing the Ranger a week now and its in my opinion such a burly class, at times disgusting if pets are working consistently. The only potential things wrong with it from what I can tell is there are other classes that offer more vital things within Tpvp (better tanks, better bursters, team portal/quickness from mesmers, rezzes aoe/poison/condition necro pressure.(but I’m still going to find more niches for it, I think the build I’m making could have a place as a pressurer/roamer/secondary point helper/defender). Let me know what you think of these 2 builds and your thoughts from your ranger background (They are almost identical with slight mods, I’ve min maxed everything within a 30 second fight context to offer highest damage/survivability). I’m gonna give ravens a try now that I see their potential as strictly burst and not just pressure (since they miss more often than the ones I chose).

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMMQJATVjAV91RWCWsWCi2DNlJMxew/DxovAvgSWRUA;TsAA1CnoQygkAJLSOkkINC5EymAA

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMMQJATVjAV91RWCWsWCi2DNlpzzew/DxovAvgSWRUA;TsAA1CnoAzAmAMLYOwkgNC5EymAA

These aren’t too too bad but you will find yourself in some iffy situations OFTEN with this build. When you use your longbow you will feel overwhelmed because after you use your point blank shot you are basically free pickins.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Zenyoga.6910

These aren’t too too bad but you will find yourself in some iffy situations OFTEN with this build. When you use your longbow you will feel overwhelmed because after you use your point blank shot you are basically free pickins.

Could you elaborate more? As I see it if I were to compare your builds with the success you had and mine, the weakness is the same “Burst”. If you don’t time a dodge on the important burst/team bursts your toast. Each build has about the same potential vigor/dodges (which seems to be enough to dodge key bursts), yours has more evades (which gives you more chances to evade damage, but the amount of deadly bursts I feel can be handled via dodge knowledge), but in either case if one misses a burst it will hurt, and as I see it, your build will get bursted down faster than the build I’m trying out due to more natural health, and the 50% protection and barkskin (the pets also give you more time via immobilizes and knockdowns/fears). I can see how yours can hold out longer due to more evades, but I’m not sure if thats the role this build needs to fill, since using fury weapon switching, pet combo’s and quickness can put pressure on anyone.

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Could you elaborate more? As I see it if I were to compare your builds with the success you had and mine, the weakness is the same “Burst”. If you don’t time a dodge on the important burst/team bursts your toast. Each build has about the same potential vigor/dodges (which seems to be enough to dodge key bursts), yours has more evades (which gives you more chances to evade damage, but the amount of deadly bursts I feel can be handled via dodge knowledge), but in either case if one misses a burst it will hurt, and as I see it, your build will get bursted down faster than the build I’m trying out due to more natural health, and the 50% protection and barkskin (the pets also give you more time via immobilizes and knockdowns/fears). I can see how yours can hold out longer due to more evades, but I’m not sure if thats the role this build needs to fill, since using fury weapon switching, pet combo’s and quickness can put pressure on anyone.

Longbow just isnt a great damage weapon, its VERY situational. You will find yourself in alot of sticky situation when you have longbow out and waiting on the weapon cooldown.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Zenyoga.6910

Longbow just isnt a great damage weapon, its VERY situational. You will find yourself in alot of sticky situation when you have longbow out and waiting on the weapon cooldown.

Everyone says that and how you can dodge its #2, but you can dodge as it starts or in the middle, but it still will do 2-3K damage on you, and makes you waste a dodge, the knockback is great, you can utilize a dodge during this point to get vigor and protection and buy time, gives you more than enough time within the weapon switch. Plus the on demand 10% vulnerability is always a starter and great, also very often overlook is F2 to aoe cripple high damage (takes 1 sec to cast) and sometimes just eating a shot or two while protection is up yields some decent damage/forces them to retreat/dodge roll, setting them up for more later burst.

I’ll have to make a vid soon as I get on another tpvp team, longbow has been stereo-typed and the sheep are believing and not using…..

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

EH its still not my style, I really love bows. Im kinda holding out for anet to either make bows useable in pvp with warrior or ranger, ir a game to come out with real archers.

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Everyone says that and how you can dodge its #2, but you can dodge as it starts or in the middle, but it still will do 2-3K damage on you, and makes you waste a dodge, the knockback is great, you can utilize a dodge during this point to get vigor and protection and buy time, gives you more than enough time within the weapon switch. Plus the on demand 10% vulnerability is always a starter and great, also very often overlook is F2 to aoe cripple high damage (takes 1 sec to cast) and sometimes just eating a shot or two while protection is up yields some decent damage/forces them to retreat/dodge roll, setting them up for more later burst.

I’ll have to make a vid soon as I get on another tpvp team, longbow has been stereo-typed and the sheep are believing and not using…..

Never said longbow is bad, i used to use longbow too. But I fell in love with greatswords mobility and defence

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: warpy.1687

warpy.1687

This user has already reported. A moderator will soon resolve it.

in Ranger

Zenyoga.6910

[/quote]

Never said longbow is bad, i used to use longbow too. But I fell in love with greatswords mobility and defence
[/quote]

Didn’t say you said it was bad Just said how it could be used effectively within its cool-down time.. I agree though if you just expect to auto-attack/damage then ya its not going to work out well. Much like the greatsword I imagine, since I found it horrible on my usage of it (but seems can be used effectively by some).

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Based on your posts on the PvP boards I doubt you are as high up the ranks as you claim you are.

As for your build I don’t really like the look of it but I will probably try it out to see how it goes at some point before I make any comments on it.

in Ranger

Sol.4310

Based on your posts on the PvP boards I doubt you are as high up the ranks as you claim you are.

As for your build I don’t really like the look of it but I will probably try it out to see how it goes at some point before I make any comments on it.

Don’t worry its only good for dodging and holding points. It has near to no chance of killing anything.

I’ve beaten this build 1v1 with my ranger. I’ve watched D/D roll over it 1v1. Thief’s and Mesmers well you know the outcome.

NaturalPortman I love it how you think your pets are you main damage. Let me tell you this at a professional level your pets are useless. Only classes it will hit are Necros/Guardians/Warriors, everyone else takes around 30% damage from the pet’s, there just to much cripple/cloak/chill/evade.

I recommend if your new a ranger finding build fits your play style. This build will not work in WvW, its strictly TPvP. Check out Bunker/Trapper builds they are better then this build.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Don’t worry its only good for dodging and holding points. It has near to no chance of killing anything.

I’ve beaten this build 1v1 with my ranger. I’ve watched D/D roll over it 1v1. Thief’s and Mesmers well you know the outcome.

And love it how you think your pets are you main damage. Let me tell you this at a professional level your pets are useless. Only classes it will hit are Necros/Guardians/Warriors, everyone else takes around 30% damage from the pet’s, there just to much cripple/cloak/chill/evade.

I recommend if your new a ranger finding build fits your play style. This build will not work in WvW, its strictly TPvP. Check out Bunker/Trapper builds they are better then this build.

Why are you lying to people? This build kills people easily. This build counters ele easily as well

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Sol.4310

And love it how you think your pets are you main damage. Let me tell you this at a professional level your pets are useless. Only classes it will hit are Necros/Guardians/Warriors, everyone else takes around 30% damage from the pet’s, there just to much cripple/cloak/chill/evade.

Why are you lying to people? This build kills people easily. This build counters ele easily as well

Your the one lying here mate. This build might work less skilled players but doesn’t work against skilled players and that’s fact.

The player base is evolving these type of builds are done and dusted.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer