Returning player, Ele or ranger?

in Ranger

Posted by: Tea.2740

Tea.2740

Hi I haven’t played HoT yet and I know PoF is coming soon, I’m wondering the state of ele and ranger atm with their current specializations and upcoming ones. Which one would be better for pve with occasional pvp? Ele I’ve always liked due to flashy spells and big aoe. ranger is simple yet strong + they get their pet. I’m not sure about tempest/druid because I have not played them yet so any explanation is great. And will PoF specializations take priority over HoT ones? Thank you

in Ranger

Posted by: Skuzz.6580

Skuzz.6580

One thing I would say is that with PoF it is unclear of ele’s will be going weaver or tempest, where is rangers are definitely going to be playing as Soulbeasts (their new elite spec).
We will rely less on pets themselves but rather care about the abilities of the pets which we gain access to when we mend with them (beastmode).

Rangers are far less flashy than ele’s, and we will probably end up playing hybrid specs (power/condi combined). If your goal is to be the top dog on the dps meters for raids however then ele is your best bet.

In general, if you bought PoF, just create a lvl 1 ranger, boost him up, walk through the demo area and get a feel of the class, you can do the same for ele. Just make sure that you don’t commit your boost upon leaving the zone if you are undesided

in Ranger

Posted by: Tea.2740

Tea.2740

In general, if you bought PoF, just create a lvl 1 ranger, boost him up, walk through the demo area and get a feel of the class, you can do the same for ele. Just make sure that you don’t commit your boost upon leaving the zone if you are undesided

I have a maxed ele and ranger already I’m just wondering which would be fun still with the specializations. I am leaning towards ele though. What is the current meta for them in terms for weapon and stats?

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

If you like DPS and/or complex rotations, play the ele. Everything else, play Ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Skuzz.6580

Skuzz.6580

I have a maxed ele and ranger already I’m just wondering which would be fun still with the specializations. I am leaning towards ele though. What is the current meta for them in terms for weapon and stats?

With the current Elite spec’s you are best of playing Ele, since Druid is all about them heals.
For PoF though, I think Soulbeast will be a lot more fun than the weaver. But that is personal preference, the amount of options you have as soulbeast are nuts.
Beastmaster core trait is almost a must though, at least for open world: Pet’s Prowess must be the most awesome minor trait available to us. It basically gives you 25% movement speed and a crit buff when you are in beastmode

Here is a list of abilities that work on the ranger when in beastmode: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Beastmode

As you can see, this alone opens up a lot of options that were not possible before (since then they would only apply to your pet).