Returning player, help with mechanics for WvW

in Ranger

Posted by: helmino.4138

helmino.4138

Heya all, i’m returning to the game, and i want to invest some time in my ranger.
I want to do some solo roaming in WvW, and i need some advice to make a build.
I always try to make some builds, but i don’t know what exactly are the “cap” i have to reach in each stats with my gear to make a build work (some explanation are appreciated).
The 2 builds that i’m thinking about are condi with shortbow (not heavy trap or spirit reliant), and a power build with longbow, are this 2 kind of build doable for roaming?
And for pet selection wich you are going to suggest me?
Thank you all in advance and sorry for my bad english.
Ps: to the answer like “ranger sucks” and change class, don’t post, i don’t change idea, thanks.

in Ranger

Posted by: Luimes.4281

Luimes.4281

Hey man! Welcome back.

Here I have a bleedstacker build which does use 1 trap.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vMAQNBlODZkRlaWLXxl1AwqggtHZyJmsHG64jVsSK-zECBYhCyUAA0Cw0HQpoFRjt+pIasKZER1KlYkCAmpRA-w

It’s quite an easy build, but down traps on opponents to disrupt and damage. Keep stacking bleeds with your short bow. Use Sharpening Stone at the correct moment to apply even more pressure. But as with most ranger builds you will have to rely on your dodges and Lightning Reflexes for defense.

Now for power roaming at the moment there is only one option that is really viable. It’s Longbow/Greatsword spec. High damage. I never run it before myself so I wouldn’t know the build exactly. I think you can find it if you google it.

I’m currently testing a Longbow Axe/Axe build but I’m not satisfied yet :p

what is meme

in Ranger

helmino.4138

Hey man! Welcome back.

Here I have a bleedstacker build which does use 1 trap.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vMAQNBlODZkRlaWLXxl1AwqggtHZyJmsHG64jVsSK-zECBYhCyUAA0Cw0HQpoFRjt+pIasKZER1KlYkCAmpRA-w

It’s quite an easy build, but down traps on opponents to disrupt and damage. Keep stacking bleeds with your short bow. Use Sharpening Stone at the correct moment to apply even more pressure. But as with most ranger builds you will have to rely on your dodges and Lightning Reflexes for defense.

Now for power roaming at the moment there is only one option that is really viable. It’s Longbow/Greatsword spec. High damage. I never run it before myself so I wouldn’t know the build exactly. I think you can find it if you google it.

I’m currently testing a Longbow Axe/Axe build but I’m not satisfied yet :p

Thanks! i’ll surely give it a shot. You have some nice experience with this build?
Someone can link me about power build instead?

in Ranger

Posted by: theodor.3480

theodor.3480

Well this is my power build. I personaly don’t like the longbow so i switched it to sword/dagger. It’s mostly a melee build (can swap gs with sb if needed). Lots of evades from sword+dagger and gs auto. So far it worked pretty well for me.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vMMQNAsYRjMq0ua3Kusw1agYpYP7v9gTm/8MFGyRXsSJSA-zUCBYLERjEBBiKAMnTQMVVZtMsIasKkYKXCRaXpmUAjKMC-w

I hear no evil, I fear no evil

in Ranger

helmino.4138

Well this is my power build. I personaly don’t like the longbow so i switched it to sword/dagger. It’s mostly a melee build (can swap gs with sb if needed). Lots of evades from sword+dagger and gs auto. So far it worked pretty well for me.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vMMQNAsYRjMq0ua3Kusw1agYpYP7v9gTm/8MFGyRXsSJSA-zUCBYLERjEBBiKAMnTQMVVZtMsIasKkYKXCRaXpmUAjKMC-w

Thanks for the answer, but im looking for a longbow roaming build too, if someone can help me, i found some build but are all outdated

(edited by helmino.4138)

in Ranger

theodor.3480

Well another advice i can give you is try out a build is pvp (soloq or teamq, hotjoin was a zergfest last time i was in there) and see how it works, then adapt it to wvw.

in Ranger

helmino.4138

Well another advice i can give you is try out a build is pvp (soloq or teamq, hotjoin was a zergfest last time i was in there) and see how it works, then adapt it to wvw.

Thanks, im a bit scared to waste time and money if the builds don’t work, i don’t have so much gold xD, and with the upcoming nerf to critical i’m scared to run with longbow. Tempted anyway because is my favourite weapon of the ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Here is the glassy build I currently run. I left the last slot in Marksmanship blank because you could use either spotter, piercing arrows, or the new trait that will make your arrows fly faster. I also swap the dagger for a warhorn (or axe rarely) and the signet based on what I need at the time.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vMMQNAT8YjEq0vaLLesQ1agY9YP9BAcG8nR+D+/iVaQC-zUCBYfCyYLJjgAisAgABOzsIasFVFRjVXDT5iIqOAACwNvZ2sNDO6RP6RP6R7o38o38oHtUAUsAA-w

A few notes, 1) there is a steep learning curve 2) I highly recommend getting the guard buffs so you have a bit more margin of error 3) it uses the PvE stat allocations due to simplicity, but soon when you can change at will I might want to put 5 points in WS or make other minor changes 4) you have to make extensive use of your utilities (including weapon utilities) and pets, which makes it fun to play and 5) I don’t “duel” people, my whole goal is to support the zergs by solo roaming or with 1 or a couple temporary PUG companions and be able to effectively defend myself / kill trouble makers.

Edit: I’ve also said before, if you’re going to play glassy ranger in WvW, play a lot of S/D in PvP because you are going to need to not get hit when the 9 foot norn warrior comes flying at you.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

in Ranger

helmino.4138

Here is the glassy build I currently run. I left the last slot in Marksmanship blank because you could use either spotter, piercing arrows, or the new trait that will make your arrows fly faster. I also swap the dagger for a warhorn (or axe rarely) and the signet based on what I need at the time.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vMMQNAT8YjEq0vaLLesQ1agY9YP9BAcG8nR+D+/iVaQC-zUCBYfCyYLJjgAisAgABOzsIasFVFRjVXDT5iIqOAACwNvZ2sNDO6RP6RP6R7o38o38oHtUAUsAA-w

A few notes, 1) there is a steep learning curve 2) I highly recommend getting the guard buffs so you have a bit more margin of error 3) it uses the PvE stat allocations due to simplicity, but soon when you can change at will I might want to put 5 points in WS or make other minor changes 4) you have to make extensive use of your utilities (including weapon utilities) and pets, which makes it fun to play and 5) I don’t “duel” people, my whole goal is to support the zergs by solo roaming or with 1 or a couple temporary PUG companions and be able to effectively defend myself / kill trouble makers.

Edit: I’ve also said before, if you’re going to play glassy ranger in WvW, play a lot of S/D in PvP because you are going to need to not get hit when the 9 foot norn warrior comes flying at you.

Exactly what i’m looking for, thanks bro, knight armor is not reccomended?

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

It is recommended by a lot of people!!

Rangers are in a weird place where we don’t technically have much power damage pressure, so a lot of rangers “create” their own by running glassy. The equalizer is once you get use to using all your tools you’re really quite hard to get ahold of, so you can afford to be glassy.

Beware of condi classes though, fight necros from max range and don’t try to melee them.

in Ranger

helmino.4138

It is recommended by a lot of people!!

Rangers are in a weird place where we don’t technically have much power damage pressure, so a lot of rangers “create” their own by running glassy. The equalizer is once you get use to using all your tools you’re really quite hard to get ahold of, so you can afford to be glassy.

Beware of condi classes though, fight necros from max range and don’t try to melee them.

Can you suggest me some number to get him a lil tankier but with some damage?

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

I think tanky GS power rangers tend towards 2k toughness? My build has roughly 1k, for reference. There is probably a happy medium if you want to be glassier.

You can always mix and match until you feel comfy with the skills, and then slowly start swapping in more zerker until you find your personal favorite.

Edit: I just screwed around in that build editor switching stuff to soldiers. If all the armor and trinkets get switched you get like 1600 toughness. Someone with more experience running a tanky ranger will have to give you the exact number they like.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

in Ranger

helmino.4138

So 2k thoughness is good to reach? and for vitality? edit: ok, let’s wait some other opinion, thanks i probably try first with knight armor

in Ranger

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

Glassy ranger is not recommended for roaming. Worst. Idea. Ever.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Maybe try a soldier amulet with a berserker jewel in hotjoin to get a feel for how evasive the build is.

Edit: Also you going to get a lot of people who aren’t good at using a sword posting things like Tricare did.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Do you primarily run with a group or alone? I know you stated that you want to run solo, but that doesn’t always work out so well. So question remains whether you are open to play in groups/team up with another player or if you are hellbent on standing on your own two legs
Some information on which tier you play in, NA or EU (different metas in the two regions) can also help us narrow down possibilities for you

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Tricare.2946

Edit: Also you going to get a lot of people who aren’t good at using a sword posting things like Tricare did.

You’re not going to be able to fight 1v2 with glassy ranger. A glassy thief will murder you, most solo roamers are thieves.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

I’ve been running full glass roamer for a year and half, so you don’t need to let me know the types of enemies I’m going to encounter.

in Ranger

Tricare.2946

I’ve been running full glass roamer for a year and half, so you don’t need to let me know the types of enemies I’m going to encounter.

I’ve only ever used a sword for over a year and a half, so you don’t need to tell me I don’t know how to use a sword?

Also, I’m sure killing horrible players and up-levels is fun roaming for some people.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

I’ve only ever used a sword for over a year and a half, so you don’t need to tell me I don’t know how to use a sword?

Also, I’m sure killing horrible players and up-levels is fun roaming for some people.

If you’ve been using a sword so long, why are you unable to beat backstab thieves? They have 13k health.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/is-this-dmg-legit/first

This is hysterical, I’m trying to convince this guy that LB is not overpowered and we can’t autokill thieves, and trying to convince you that it’s possible to kill thieves. Glass vs glass is over quickly for whoever makes the first mistake.

in Ranger

Tricare.2946

Not sure when I said anything about you can’t kill thieves with glass ranger. I said it was a horrible idea to roam with a glassy ranger.

Especially for a returning player that hasn’t played in who knows how long, against thieves that will just lawl at him. Not to mention condition classes that will tear your build apart like you’re naked. So….

Glassy ranger is not recommended for roaming. Worst. Idea. Ever.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

It’s a horrible idea to roam with condi bunkers because they’re boring , don’t require any skill to play, and are unable to kill people in a time that is relevant to helping your server. There, now the guy has both points of view.

He said he wants a power LB build so I gave him one and told him it took a lot of effort to get good at. Help the guy rather than being a Negative Nancy.

in Ranger

helmino.4138

Is ok guys, ill try to pay attention, thanks Fluff anyway

in Ranger

theodor.3480

@Fluffball – Nice build, definetly glassy but viable.
@Tricare – jump in that condi necro’s face and he will panick – that’s the best way to deal with them, get close in melee and nuke
Op – experiment in pvp (gear is free there) and see what suits you Usualy the best build for a person is the one that they make for themsleves. get advie from others and work on that

in Ranger

Tricare.2946

The boring part is to each their own.

Requiring skill to play? I’ve given the builds I use to multiple people, most of them couldn’t make it work. Does condi bunker have it a little easier? Maybe, but you have to be good to apply all the conditions, they don’t just apply themselves.

Killing people in time that is relevant to helping your sever….. I’d bet that I’ve died less than you, I can escape 5 people attacking me and live because I don’t die with the slightest breeze. Also, condi builds can kill pretty fast depending how well you land your attacks.

I wasn’t being a Negative Nancy, I was giving my opinion that a glassy ranger wasn’t the way to go. Nothing more, nothing less.

in Ranger

helmino.4138

The 2 build, condition shortbow and longbow gs are really fun, thanks again!