Ricochet + Fortifying Bond Druid Beastmaster

in Ranger

Posted by: Dimglow.5489

Dimglow.5489

Just wanted to highlight a subtle interaction that not a lot of people are noticing with the recent update to Ricochet.

Ricochet now gives 3s of might base with each enemy struck.

The 3 point Nature Magic trait, Fortifying Bond, works in that any time the ranger gets a buff that buff is shared to the pet. But the sharing mechanic is not 1:1 copying. Instead it triggers a buff instance off a table. That table gives 10s base might to the pet for any might the ranger receives. In other words when a ranger ricochets and hits 3 targets the pet gets 3 stacks of 10+s might. This means the pet can achieve 25 might in 7-8s of ricochet autoattacks.

This means that it becomes very easy to stack very high levels of might on a pet, which allows them to maintain decent DPS. This allows the Ranger to spec defensively to provide support for the pet/party while also maintaining some DPS. A sample build can be found here:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQRBHfdG2JjKUxitCivgQ0iBOEKWBw7h9YbW33QOUzZ8zJzeA-TxRDAB8p/xhnUQmq/olyvo2fAgTqggKBJFgTLrA-e

Offensively this build allows for cat pets which auto for over 1k, critting for almost 2k 68% of the time base, can achieve basically 95-100% with master bond stacks and warhorn 5. In addition you can activate “Sick ’Em!” with Signet of the Wild and see some 5-6k auto attacks as well as some 8k bites. It’s also worth mentioning that the cat will bleed targets constantly for 86 a tick, with nearly each swing getting 6s of bleeding bringing the auto attack up to almost 2500 a crit swing (every 1.1s or so) plus the bleeding on maul at 40 ticks of 86 for over 3.4k bleed damage. If you need AoE the drake pet brings cleave and a devastating F2. The ranger’s dps options are not terrible either, with potent bleeding and burning options due to might you can expect to keep up decent bleeds due to splitblade for 100 a tick, 500 for a point blank and burning for 600 on top of ricochets for around 300.

Defensively the build brings an incredibly resilient pet. Signet of the wild will provide over 600 hps, regeneration will also provide over 400 hps, Natural healing will add another 125 hps bringing you to 1.2k HPS. This will make it very easy for your drake to facetank even in dungeons, even if your cat can’t hang it. Remember to use guard to proc an almost permanent protection state on your pet and you’d be amazed how survivable it can be. You’ll also be able to share a lot of healing, condition removal and swiftness with your teammates.

Supportively you can generate decent might by using concentration trained jungle stalkers to give 5 might stacks with 80%+ downtime. It will also let you keep the cat pumped up to 25 stacks even if you’re fighting single targets. You can also use bonfire + warhorn 5 to generate more aoe might (remember your pet gets 6 stacks 3 from combo 3 from bond,) or use warhorn 5 + healing spring for a burst heal.

Variants:
There are a lot of good options to consider.
Carnivorous Appetite can be traded for Nature’s Voice if the player doesn’t want to go shouts.
Nature magic can be entirely rebuilt into a spirit build, and the utilities can be swapped too (I don’t recommend dropping Signet of the Wild.)
Master’s Bond can be swapped for Shout Master if you find yourself losing pets or swapping.
Natural Healing could be overkill in many situations and swapped for many options.
Signet of the Hunt is another multiplier that can be stacked. I actually saw a 11,700 damage bite from my cat pet. There may even be harder hits possible with a F2, or by combining the Greatsword’s hilt bash.

This build can also be made to work with nearly any stat set. I recommend a healing set only because of the team healing options and the need to maintain a pet for this to work well. I chose apothecary for the bonfire benefits to further solidify team support.

Monk runes are a great benefit due to the healing synergy (your pet gets the modifier) and it provides additional boon duration.

Anyone else have any ideas on how to further make this build work?

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Not only have I noticed it, I’ve been loving it. My bird with sufficient might hits for 3-4K on auto crits. I’ve been running something like this in PVP even before the patch, but now… My little raven is a beast.

I’ve not tried it in dungeons yet though. I don’t generally do PVE all that much.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kirby.9138

Kirby.9138

What about switching Healing Spring to Troll Ungent? Although you lose that really nice water field for 5 seconds faster CD. Just curious.

in Ranger

Ehecatl.9172

Dropping Healing Spring means you don’t get the chance to blast it with warhorn 5 to trigger a second AoE heal. Shoot, if you’re good with positioning you could triple blast it by switching to drake just as you drop it then using warhorn 5. Triple AoE heal!

in Ranger

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Now if they just made pets not evaporate within 5 seconds of any zerg v zerg encounter that would be great.

downed state is bad for PVP

in Ranger

Posted by: Eirh.1439

Eirh.1439

What about switching Healing Spring to Troll Ungent? Although you lose that really nice water field for 5 seconds faster CD. Just curious.

I wouldn’t do that unless you want to lose all Condition Removal aside from the Elite with a 3+ min cooldown. The build in general looks vulnerable against conditions, but I’m sure it’s still very usefull in the hands of a skilled player.

Semper Concordia [SC]
Abaddons Mouth

in Ranger

Posted by: furricane.9758

furricane.9758

Will this build work with full dire gear? Just curious since i’ve my old condiroaming gear waiting for to blow the dust off and i’m totally noob when talking about BM =D

PikenSQ EU / Hässisen Pällikone ~Warrior / Ei Niin Pehmeä~Mesmer / Ei Niin Tiukka~Ele

in Ranger

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

Running longbow/axehorn with that pet buff share and signet might stacking… you can figure how much im enjoying my cat high bite and heavy damage AA. Ive been waiting this for sooooo long i think a lot of people are about to die

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Do you get stacks of master’s bond faster by killing players like you would with bloodlust?

in Ranger

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

No idea but i might actualy try running Master bond along with an axe that stack might on crit and on swap + the skirmish line… watch those might stack going in.

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

It seems like commanding voice would be the ‘easier on your life’ option if players don’t count for 5 MB stacks. With a sort of weak pet heal and no ability to swap pets, I don’t know if MB would get much use. Killing 25 drake hatchlings after every encounter sounds draining!

in Ranger

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

Killing 25 drake hatchlings after every encounter sounds draining!

Lol I like how you know people will die with the build. I’m not a fan of relying on pet AI to do all of the damage.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Haha! No I meant the pet dies since you can’t swap it and HS is the most involved way of the 3 heals to heal your pet. Doesn’t the pet lose master’s bond on death? I’ve only ever used it PvE so I don’t know much about it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dimglow.5489

Dimglow.5489

You do gain more master bonds from killing players. Or at least you did last I played it in spvp.

Some more ideas on this:
Sigils of Battle to swap weapons to trigger more mights (arguably unnecessary.)
Run magi gear and use crit based procs to feed more might, especially with might proccing food. Also good as an alternative dps option with air/fire or lifesteal pies. This will be high hp and hps but very glassy, vulnerable to spike but strong vs conditions.

Runes of the Noble are also pretty good options for additional might stacking/instant ramp-up.

There are really a lot of ways to take this build. The pet provides for good baseline DPS/survivability and lets the ranger go in many ways. Only downside is you are tied to axe mainhand, but it is a fairly versatile weapon now.

I think I’ll be sticking to Apothecary and playing the build as a composite DPS with the ability to let my pets act as an ablation tank (drakes are very good at this) while providing good healing and buffs.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

Sorry but this build wouldn’t be able to kill any skilled player.

1700 healing? only 900 condition damage? I posted a build that would do pretty much the exact same thing you’re looking for, but actually helps you kill players yourself instead of relying on a pet to do all the work for you while you just kite.

in Ranger

Ehecatl.9172

I’ve been running this sort of set up with celestial gear. The might stacking you get from the axes will put you at around 1,900 power easily, with 900 condition damage on the side to make those bleed ticks more threatening.

I might switch the torch for an offhand axe though, since the shift makes your direct damage stronger than conditions. Plus from experience other players like to try and melee burst you down when you use it since you’re rooted, which just means you’re hitting them for your own damage plus retaliation damage while stacking vulnerability. You can also use shouts while channeling it, which makes it an effective set up for your pet’s burst.

I also tend to take Intimidation Training for the cripple. Between my two pets I can almost reach permanent cripple on my own now, which means my pets will be hitting a lot more frequently and I’ll be safer for it. It works great with the sylvan hound because the hound applies cripple in an AoE with it’s howl, so it’s reliable to hit if you time it right, and can follow up with the canine cripple attack to stack more of it. Then switch to the raven and F2 for more cripple and a burst along with a short blind.

I’ve been meaning to try Invigorating Bond with the sylvan hound as well. Make an already decent heal into a great AoE heal for the team. Plus a little heal tacked on to my bird’s burst doesn’t hurt either. It helps compensate for my build otherwise being fairly selfish, save for the water field and blast finisher combo. If I go shouts the regen is decent and swiftness is always nice. If not I’m usually running with signets and invest those points into something else. Usually Carnivorous Appetite.

If I want to be more support oriented and really capitalize on the regen sharing I’ve found success with cleric stats. With the axe might you’re looking at 2,200 power on average, and with Ranger Runes you have a decent crit chance and critical damage. So you’re still keeping up decent pressure even if you’re mostly running a support variant.

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pet_attributes#List_of_pet_attributes

Since 25 might stacks is a flat +875 power, it’s a much bigger percentage increase for lower power pets and builds than for higher power. Since most pets have base 1374 power they benefit a lot more from the +875 than players (typically 1800-2300 power).

Anyone know if the hyena’s summoned duplicate is buffless or copies the hyena’s buffs? It’s got a base 824 power, so 25 might stacks more than doubles its damage.

25 stacks of Master’s Bond is another +200.

I assume it’s still +300 from full Beastmastery.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Anyone know if the hyena’s summoned duplicate is buffless or copies the hyena’s buffs?

It doesn’t get any buffs from anything; not from copying on spawn, not from axe, not from fortifying bond, etc. It also doesn’t follow pet commands for whatever that’s worth.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I have been running it like this in PvP:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQRBHPxG2JjKUxitCiLLw1iBwEq2FwyGAPzhT15F0sZ8zJzeA-TpQOgAA7PsWGAA

Pretty happy with the results so far!

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

(edited by Sube Dai.8496)