Roaming Rangers Nowadays

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Why are people taking Entangle over RAO? Thieves are immune to entangle due to ports as well as eles, mesmers have staff to port out of it too on a low cd.

They are most definitely not immune, they have to use skills to get out. Either they use the teles to get out and can’t use them in another emergency, or you’ve already forced another emergency and now they can’t get out of entangle. That’s one of the main reasons I almost always use MT, drakehound and wolf, regardless of what build I’m running.

You can’t just spam entangle and expect it to land on anyone. They’ll just dodge it if nothing else.

sword port from thief and and mesmer staff blink most definitely are fairly spammable, and both of those classes have teleports/escapes/clears well below the cd of most ranger cc skills.

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

Why are people taking Entangle over RAO? Thieves are immune to entangle due to ports as well as eles, mesmers have staff to port out of it too on a low cd.

They are most definitely not immune, they have to use skills to get out. Either they use the teles to get out and can’t use them in another emergency, or you’ve already forced another emergency and now they can’t get out of entangle. That’s one of the main reasons I almost always use MT, drakehound and wolf, regardless of what build I’m running.

You can’t just spam entangle and expect it to land on anyone. They’ll just dodge it if nothing else.

sword port from thief and and mesmer staff blink most definitely are fairly spammable, and both of those classes have teleports/escapes/clears well below the cd of most ranger cc skills.

Simple dodge, makes engangled miss if you time it:
-dodge
- s/d thief can simpy port back
- blinding ranger will make him/her miss Ent
- stun-breaker

so easy to escape, to easy if u ask me … cuz casting is to long, if it would be 1/2 i would use it.

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Have to trait around Entangle to get it to be worth anything. If traited properly it is 48s and removes 2 conditions. Can use it 2.5 times to 1 RAO. RAO also has a long cast time as well and you glow red so everyone knows to avoid you until it goes away.

The stability on RAO is nice. Probably the main reason to use it I guess.

EDIT: Also Corrupt Boon exists. Turns Rampage as One into Die as One…

(edited by Gotejjeken.1267)

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

You guys are acting as though entangle is the old 20 second lockdown. It lasts 5 seconds tops, so it doesn’t matter how quickly someone’s sword tele comes off recharge if you use it at the right time. All you want to do is immobilize the thief for even a couple seconds, and an immobilized thief is in a very bad spot. He can eat a maul, full RF, sit in a bonfire, etc.

You want to have the target unable to immediately get out, and ideally at like half health so you can end it right there. Entangle is for late in the fight to push you over the edge when things are all tied up.

And then there are multi target scenarios where you can really get creative with it. Preventing rezzes and peels and things like that.

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

RAO also has a long cast time as well and you glow red so everyone knows to avoid you until it goes away.

This made me giggle. But it is true. Hmm…wonder if the orange colored refractor deals would throw people off. Oh look, that ranger has RAO up – RUN RUN RUN!

EDIT: Also Corrupt Boon exists. Turns Rampage as One into Die as One…

Why am I drawing a blank on this. What do you mean?

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Gotejjeken.1267

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Viking Jorun.5413

How exactly does Rampage as One become useless with Corrupt Boon? So it strips your stability and fears you for one second. Bring a secondary source of stability and stunbreaker. Long duration boons are often ripped anyway and it’s common sense with any class to compensate for boon stripping. People often forget that Rampage as One’s primary effect is to grant pet to your might on hit and might to you on your pet’kittens. With longbow alone I can very easily stack 25 might on one of my ravens, and with a BM build, that means my ravens are able to output 2x 4.5k hits in PvP with their f2 at 25 stacks of might. This can be continued into my next raven by swapping, using quickness for sword auto attack burst/stick and building another 15 stacks on my second raven, who gains quickness on swap. With the new responsiveness of pets, this makes a very potent skirmishing build. The fact is that while Entangle has a lower cooldown, it’s much less of a nuisance than it was previously. Without speccing into Survival augmenting traits, you’re just as well off taking RaO, and running Beastmastery, RaO is an indispensable tool to let your pets get an initial burst off to turn the tides of a fight very quickly.

(edited by Viking Jorun.5413)

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Gotejjeken.1267

It also cripples you (swiftness), blinds you (fury), and depending on when it is used those might stacks turn into weakness really fast.

But yeah, you have to bring something that is going to hit (like birds) to even get the might benefit from RAO. The majority of pets have horrible tracking so you aren’t getting that buildup.

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Viking Jorun.5413

It also cripples you (swiftness), blinds you (fury), and depending on when it is used those might stacks turn into weakness really fast.

But yeah, you have to bring something that is going to hit (like birds) to even get the might benefit from RAO. The majority of pets have horrible tracking so you aren’t getting that buildup.

I’ll take that. You really have to build for it to benefit at all from the might stacking aspect of RAO, so in most cases, Entangle is going to be the better elite of the two.

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

-dodge
- stun-breaker

so easy to escape, to easy if u ask me … cuz casting is to long, if it would be 1/2 i would use it.

You forgot the biggest one. If a player stealths they can just walk out of it.
That means thieves, mesmers, rangers, and engi’s (the majority of roamers) can just walk out of it.

Entangle is good for its low cooldown when paired with certain runes and/or traits, but for a power build I almost always run rampage.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Posted by: lujate.5432

lujate.5432

I’ve roamed for a long time, but always on Mesmer. I started roaming on my Ranger yesterday. I’m a SB addict, so I had to have a build that uses SB. I went with this build: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Ranger_-_Stealth_Trapper

I was pleasantly surprised how well I’m doing with it already in 1v1 and 1v2.

“Queen of Cheese Builds”

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

-dodge
- stun-breaker

You forgot the biggest one. If a player stealths they can just walk out of it.
That means thieves, mesmers, rangers, and engi’s (the majority of roamers) can just walk out of it.

Entangle is good for its low cooldown when paired with certain runes and/or traits, but for a power build I almost always run rampage.

Plus with the amount of guardians and warriors around having stability is a must. You might as well alt+f4 if you try to duel a hammer warrior without RaO.

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Posted by: DanSH.6143

DanSH.6143

Longbow is great even without Eagle Eye and Read The Wind, x/x/6/6/x works great or lb ranger.
0/5/3/6/0 is also an amazing dueling lb build;
Marksmanship is not a must at all for longbow.

Griften

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Longbow is great even without Eagle Eye and Read The Wind, x/x/6/6/x works great or lb ranger.

Are you fighting npc’s or keyboard turners?

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Plus with the amount of guardians and warriors around having stability is a must. You might as well alt+f4 if you try to duel a hammer warrior without RaO.

Or just dodge the colossally telegraphed CC skills.

Entangle is my go-to elite for both WvW and PvP and I do just fine against hammer users. Terrormancers in PvP, now those are annoying.

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Posted by: DanSH.6143

DanSH.6143

Are you fighting npc’s or keyboard turners?

You don’t realy need the range, it’s not like you can maintain 1800+ anyway.
These two set ups are pretty bulky for a zerker build, they don’t have to kite to stay alive.

Marksmanship is amazing at sniping noobs, but not at all a must-have.

I actually use Marksmanship, these days I play 6/5/3 in tourney and 6/2/6 in 1v1. But that’s because it matches my playstyle.

Griften

Roaming Rangers Nowadays

in Ranger

Gotejjeken.1267

Yeah, Terromancers are the worst. So many conditions on you at one time…and I have 3 active condition cleanses.

Warrior’s aren’t too bad, we certainly have enough dodges.