Robert Hrouda on pets in dungeons

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Ranger is broken as it is. Making pets effective is going to take a LOT more than number games (which, unfortunately, has most often been the majority of what ANet has done with regards to balancing professions and skills). I’m just going to drop pic related here for consideration. All of the skill specifics aren’t really fixed ideas, I just think that there should be two modes for the Ranger as it is. If you really want to make the pet meaningful and effective on the field, you’ll need more than 1 F-skill (IT’S SERIOUSLY JUST ONE SKILL—IT’S EFFECTIVELY THE WARRIOR) to bring out a pet’s potential.

You would need an entire skill set to really maximize a pet’s presence. It’s seriously a second body for the Ranger. I can’t believe that no designer has taken advantage of that.

I think the best approach is to look at this from a logical stand point. We have to realize that our pet is 20-60% of our DPS, so it needs to be effective in its DPS distribution. So, logically, the pet needs to stay alive. Every situation will warrant a different method to managing your pet. So I propose a simple 4 choice config for our pets:

F2 click once ~ Attack/Single target mode
F2 click twice ~ Attack/Multiple target mode(aoe condition or boon)
F2 click thrice ~ Guard/Single target mode
F2 click fourth ~ Guard/Multiple target mode(aoe boon or condition)

F2 click fifth ~ Do not attack (currently implemented)

Basically, you can set your pet to be in 1 of 4 modes. Each pet would warrant specific skills depending on the pet and mode. So for example my Raven could have a whirlwind type aoe on Attack/Multiple target mode(aoe) that drops conditions and a Bear could have a boon type of aoe for the Attack/Multiple target mode(aoe) that way every pet could be used for every situation. I understand that would warrant quite a bit of work, but it would synergize the Ranger and their companions perfectly.

With that being said you wouldn’t have to change any UI elements. Just add a 5 mode toggle to F2. The 5th being a do not attack.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that when a pet is in a guard type stance there defense is raised so they can take more damage but at the same time they do less damage. And all pets have 4 types of attacks anyways, this would just allow the Ranger to proc those specific skills on demand instead of randomly.

Also this is good. Really good. It’s a little unwieldy (what if you wanted to switch from mode 1 all the way to 5 really quickly?), but it’s honestly the best one could do with the game engine as it is.

Yes… for the love of god yes!! throws money at swag shut up and take it so you can make it happen!! GO!! AWAY WITH YOU!! Why are you still here?

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Gutbuster.8745

Gutbuster.8745

Honestly, I don’t think the devs can (or are prepared to) do what needs to be done to make the pet mechanic viable while maintaining health diversity (read: cats and birds are also viable in dungeons) without turning the class into a ridiculously complex mess of micromanagement and inefficient outcomes. Consider how difficult many players find dodging attacks when they only have to worry about themselves, do you really think a dodge skill for the pet is going to be a working fix for this issue for most rangers? They then have to pay attention to the boss/mobs, their character’s position and their pet’s position – and then they have to command both themselves and their pet to dodge (often at the same time) not to mention the likelihood of having to manage two dodge bars (a ranger one and a pet one, they likely wouldn’t give you unlimited dodges for the pet). So micromanaging and resource management are the gameplay being pushed by that kind of design. A lot of us play the class for the AI companion, not a micromanaged companion. Micromanaging, while increasing the skill cap (in a certain way), isn’t going to solve the problem for a lot of rangers, and for many players it takes the class in a direction they don’t want to go in.

I am genuinely interested in why he thinks two rangers, through smart use of pet swap, two-manning bosses (many bosses can be soloed by multiple classes already, it just takes longer – in some cases not by much) is a bad thing, given the current meta we already have. I don’t want brand dead easy face tanks pets to trivialise boss fights, but I don’t see micromanagement as an appropriate solution and I do think there is a problem.

I had to log in just to echo this particular part of Shirens’ post. I’m all for fixing ranger pets etc as I’ve wanted to play one since launch but it’s been hard to justify it if you will. Thus I support this thread but with all the discussion regarding pet dodges, survivability and what not I was surprised it took several pages before someone pointed this out.

Often it’s difficult enough to know exactly when you need to dodge in order to avoid some damage, with a pet dodge you’d be required to not only keep track of your own position but also your pet’s exact position which also trying to see your pet amongst all the spell graphics surrounding bosses getting nuked, seeing red circles on the floor which may be behind the boss since that’s where your pet is, camera angles etc the list goes on a bit. In addition you’d also have to hit your own dodge key as well as an additional F key or any other key bind you have.

Just have a think of what it actually would mean to have to keep track of all of this and execute additional key commands.

I doubt a pet dodge is the answer to all questions, but I’m hoping that this thread will manage to find a solution that caters to most and is not too difficult to actually use.

Cheers

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

This might be a bit radical;
But what if instead of trying to come up with four button presses that finds a compromise between the ease of automation and the control of micromanagement, why don’t we use the Bundle feature of this game to create an actual gameplay distinction between Macromanagement and Micromanagement? That is to say; Your baseline pet would act and survive automatically with a certain competency level, but you’d have an option to go into a finer control scheme anytime you want.

Function Skills
F1 Toggle Attack, Return
– “Attack!”/Aggressive mode (pet is on aggro table, attacks anything that hurts the player or it, paths towards and starts attacking any enemy that is selected when you press it and prioritizes finishing it off before reacting to other threats)
- “Return!”/Passive mode (pet off aggro table, does not attack anything that hurts the player or it, paths back to the player).

F2 Individual Skill

F3 Micromanagement Bundle

F4 Swap

Pet AI:
- Pet AI uses Family Skill automatically as it currently does.
- Pet AI automatically moves out of Pulsing AOEs. In the Beta Weekends, AI was tested that had Enemy NPCs moving out of a player’s AOE. Grant this to the pet, but omit AOEs that don’t really present a high threat (omit ones within a certain HP threshold, or omit ones that only apply conditions.)

Micromanagement Bundle
Replaces your weapon skills with finer pet controls.

1 Family Skill 1

2 Family Skill 2

3 Pet Dodge

4 Location Toggle
- “Go!” – Gives a targeting reticule where the pet will move to stand.
- “Relax!” – Ends location mode

While in Location mode;
*The pet does not move at all. No pathing to any targets. F2 and Family Skills fire off at this location, even if they’ll miss.
*The pet is facing the direction the player is facing (much like how in the game right now, spinning your character in place after telling your pet to “Return” will cause your pet to spin in place).
*While traveling to the location the pet will not attack things on the way, even if F1 is toggled to “Attack/Aggressive”
*If Micromanagement Bundle is dropped, this is automatically toggled off.

5 Resurrect Pet
Ranged Channeled skill with an obvious visual indicator (like Mesmer Greatsword #1) and cooldown that only allows you to attempt it once per Swap.

Pet AI while using the Micromanagement Bundle;
- Pet Family skill automatic AI use is temporarily suspended.
- Pet no longer automatically moves out of AOE.

Not only does this handle pet management more like how our brains manage it with degrees of focus, but it makes better use of already existing pet survivability options by giving us control over family skills.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

in Ranger

Posted by: LadyLad.1389

LadyLad.1389

One of the reasons why the Ranger and pet are built the way that they are, is because if we gave the ranger all the power, then the pet would have to be useless and vestigial, or everyone would claim rangers are OP. That’s one of the core reasons we can’t just increase pet attribute numbers. Without a method for avoiding damage, it also means your pet takes 4 hits in dungeons instead of only 2 or 3, so it doesn’t really solve the problem.
We have WvW reps in the balance meeting as well, so I’ll be sure to poke and prod them about ranger pets in zerg battles to get their opinions. Personally I tend to do well keeping a pet non-hostile until the zergs actually clash – then switching him to hostile and managing his target. Otherwise when I try to shoot some arrows at somebody, Cuddles the Black Widow decides it is time to charge into battle. I really don’t feel like this is a bad solution. While most people may resist it, if you want your pet to charge the front line and lead the attack, consider grabbing up the signet that makes your pet invulnerable for a few seconds.

@Swagg – that’s a lovely chart

So while we’re forced to stay at range, at half power because our pet is half of what we are, a Thief, Elementalist, Guardian, Warrior or Mesmer can dart into the Zerg, and back out of the Zerg at full power, while we get to watch until the entire force decides to move in?

I’m glad I left the Ranger right after pre-release.

in Ranger

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

This might be a bit radical;
But what if instead of trying to come up with four button presses that finds a compromise between the ease of automation and the control of micromanagement, why don’t we use the Bundle feature of this game to create an actual gameplay distinction between Macromanagement and Micromanagement? That is to say; Your baseline pet would act automatically with a certain competency level, but you’d have an option to go into a finer control scheme anytime you want.

Function Skills
F1
Toggle Attack, Return
– “Attack!”/Aggressive mode (pet is on aggro table, attacks anything that hurts the player or it, paths towards and starts attacking any enemy that is selected when you press it)
- “Return!”/Passive mode (pet off aggro table, does not attack anything that hurts the player or it, paths back to the player).

F2
Individual Skill

F3
Micromanagement Bundle

F4
Swap

Pet AI:
- Pet AI uses Family Skill automatically as it currently does.
- Pet AI automatically moves out of Pulsing AOEs. In the Beta Weekends, AI was tested that had Enemy NPCs moving out of a player’s AOE. Grant this to the pet, but omit AOEs that don’t really present a high threat (omit ones within a certain HP threshold, or omit ones that only apply conditions.)

Micromanagement Bundle
Replaces your weapon skills with finer pet controls.
Family Skill 1

Family Skill 2

Pet Dodge

Location Toggle
- “Go!” – Gives a targeting reticule where the pet will move to stand.
- “Relax!” – Ends location mode

While in Location mode;
- The pet does not move at all. No pathing to any targets. F2 Skills fire off at this location.
- The pet is facing the direction the player is facing (much like how in the game right now, spinning your character in place after telling your pet to “Return” will cause your pet to spin in place).
- While traveling to the location the pet will not aggro things on the way.
- If Micromanagement Bundle is dropped, this is automatically toggled off.

Resurrect Pet
Ranged Channeled skill with an obvious visual indicator (like Mesmer Greatsword #1) and cooldown that only allows you to attempt it once per Swap.

Pet AI while using the Micromanagement Bundle;
- Pet Family skill automatic AI use is temporarily suspended.
- Pet no longer automatically moves out of AOE.

This is great Vox. it would be nice to be able to put my pet into a certain ‘mode’ depending on the situation, dungeon, wvw, roaming etc.

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

in Ranger

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

One of the reasons why the Ranger and pet are built the way that they are, is because if we gave the ranger all the power, then the pet would have to be useless and vestigial, or everyone would claim rangers are OP. That’s one of the core reasons we can’t just increase pet attribute numbers. Without a method for avoiding damage, it also means your pet takes 4 hits in dungeons instead of only 2 or 3, so it doesn’t really solve the problem.
We have WvW reps in the balance meeting as well, so I’ll be sure to poke and prod them about ranger pets in zerg battles to get their opinions. Personally I tend to do well keeping a pet non-hostile until the zergs actually clash – then switching him to hostile and managing his target. Otherwise when I try to shoot some arrows at somebody, Cuddles the Black Widow decides it is time to charge into battle. I really don’t feel like this is a bad solution. While most people may resist it, if you want your pet to charge the front line and lead the attack, consider grabbing up the signet that makes your pet invulnerable for a few seconds.

So while we’re forced to stay at range, at half power because our pet is half of what we are, a Thief, Elementalist, Guardian, Warrior or Mesmer can dart into the Zerg, and back out of the Zerg at full power, while we get to watch until the entire force decides to move in?

im sorry but no non defense specced chr hops in and out of a zerg, it generally requires using specific abilities, for ranger this amounts to,
go in with your 2nd most loved pet
cause some havoc, swap pet out
use signet of stone to be invulnerable for 6 seconds with trait
use signet of wild to be stable and get out.

not really that different to a mesmer specing for reflection on distortion, and equiping utilities for reflection and null field.

fact is no one goes in and out of zerg easily. and its not really realistic to ignore the fact that you can essentially have your pet do damage while you are safe, while you are doing something totally different, and swap it out at least 1 time with no penalties.

Yeah, aoe is a problem in WvW more because when you are trying to control your pet you have few actual controls, adding some sort of player controlled reactive ability is the difference between lasting long enough to swap, or not

in Ranger

Posted by: M Ham.7509

M Ham.7509

A bit late I know, but one thing to consider when proposing potential fixes:

What are the chances that A-net is going to tear down and rewrite the Ranger class and the mechanics it uses… I would guess slim to none. They are not going to allocate the resources to essentially recreate an existing class, the animations, UI work, balancing etc.

What are the chances that A-net may tweak the mechanics here and there… I would say chances are good. It would be a lot easier to change the behavior of one button or a slight modification of an existing mechanic and the resources required do not present a barrier to getting it done.

Just my 2 cents, which up here in Canada is now rounded down to zero

M.

in Ranger

Posted by: Taril.8619

Taril.8619

I think a bunch of ideas have been mentioned in this thread (Not read all of it, but most)

A good way of getting some platform ideas going would be to look at how other games implement the pet classes and how they work in both PvP and PvE content:

World of Warcraft:

• 90% Damage reduction from AoE
  • High survivability for all pets
  • Dedicated heal for pets
  • On demand swap to 1 of 5 pets
  • Pets do only about 20% of a Hunter/Warlocks DPS unless they are specced for Pet based combat (Where it becomes 50-60% of their DPS and pets get massive boosts)
  • Pets scale from owners stats.
  • Pet talents allow for insta-res when it dies, increase of armour, healing etc
  • Pets have their own action bar that incorporates “Attack”, “Heel”, “Go Here” “Agressive (Attack anything hostile nearby)” “Defensive (Attack only when master is attacked” “Assist (Attack when master attacks/is attacked)” and “Passive (Don’t attack)” along with activated abilities used by pets (Can also macro them to place them on normal action bar)

Warhammer online

• Act closer to Necro minions (For Squig Herder at least) being able to explode/eat them for benefits
  • Multiple pets to swap out to at will (For White Lions, their summon skill had a short cooldown)
  • Had either “Tanky” pets or a stance that made pets tanky
  • Pets had their own action bars that had their AI type on (Agressive, Defensive, Passive) and their activated abilities.
  • Pets only did a portion of the overall DPS, only doing a large amount if specced into it (Only doing a large portion if specced into pets as a White Lion) and had the option of getting a flat 15% damage increase instead of the pet (Cost one Tactic slot)

While a lot of these wouldn’t work here, it’s something to start thinking about, such as the fact that in other games the pets do about 20-30% of the overall DPS unless specifically built around their damage whilst they also have more control over the pets in terms of positioning, how they behave and even what skills they use and if they auto-attack with them or use them only when activated.

“Pull the trigger, move out ahead,
There’s two kinds of people… The quick and the dead”

in Ranger

Posted by: Arashiookami.2896

Arashiookami.2896

I want to also thank Robert for taking an active part in this discussion. I think that thats so cool to have someone representing Rangers and taking our ideas into consideration. Just remember other gaming companies won’t do that!

I don’t know if its been mentioned (I’ve been trying to keep up with this thread) but is it possible to maybe have pets rez like players do on kills ? I’m not sure how “game breaking” that would be. Or maybe have a decreased CD for the swap? Or a special pet rez that you have to put on your skill bar or trait into?

I also wanted to add that I’m looking forward to seeing how anet changes pet mechanics! Especially since I run a Beastmastery spec (I absolutely love pets and having them do more damage then I do doesn’t bother me one bit). I’m a firm believer that any changes at this point will only make pets better!

(edited by Arashiookami.2896)

in Ranger

Posted by: LadyLad.1389

LadyLad.1389

im sorry but no non defense specced chr hops in and out of a zerg, it generally requires using specific abilities, for ranger this amounts to,

not really that different to a mesmer specing for reflection on distortion, and equiping utilities for reflection and null field.

fact is no one goes in and out of zerg easily. and its not really realistic to ignore the fact that you can essentially have your pet do damage while you are safe, while you are doing something totally different, and swap it out at least 1 time with no penalties.

Yeah, aoe is a problem in WvW more because when you are trying to control your pet you have few actual controls, adding some sort of player controlled reactive ability is the difference between lasting long enough to swap, or not

I actually do go into the Zerg easily, and get kills on my Thief, my Mesmer, and my Elementalist.

It’s an entirely different game for these classes.

It’s night and day difference honestly. A full day on my Ranger, I thought I was doing good getting 100 badges. A full day on my other three classes it is unusual if I don’t get a full stack (250) badges.

The thing I can’t wrap my head around is that it seems Rangers are ok with mediocre. I really don’t care because I can always play the other classes, and if they don’t fix the Ranger, Necro, or Engineer soon, I’ll just delete them so I don’t have to look at time wasted every time I log into the game, or switch toons.

(edited by LadyLad.1389)

in Ranger

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

Why dont you just reduce the time pets stay dead when they die?Or make it heal with our healing abilities..Make a bar that we can fill if we start healing like crazy..And it makes a nice combo since the BM traitline has healing power

in Ranger

Posted by: Aden Celeste.3650

Aden Celeste.3650

@Robert

Im sure you love your ranger as so do I, but even you must know how it feels to play with a class that is bastly subpar compared to other classes. LB #1 is weak and slow. GS is weak but has nice dodge mechanic. Pets dont survive for long in just about anything, and they count as much to our damage!

My solution would be:
1- F1 is to attack/be aggresive ONLY to the monster Im attacking. F1 is also used to call the pet back. When called back, it becomes passive and will not aggro any mobs. You can add a second or two of cd before making it aggresive again.

2- F2 special skills are instant skills with less animations.

3- F3 could be the new GUARD.

4- F4 could be anything else. Put in your ideas here folks!

5- Make pets non-aggroable if its not attacking a mob, so if its moving ahead of the player, even as aggrasive, it wont bring unexpected company towards the ranger.

6- Improve LB atk speed, and power.

7- Improve GS power as well.

8- Improve axe overall usefulness.

Sorry, I know its all about pets in this post but YOU robert, my friend, are the ONLY person we can count on right now. HELP US RANGERS, we beg you!

in Ranger

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

Robert, here is what I think adding a seperate pet dodge mechanic will resolve for 90% of your Ranger player base: nothing.

Like Gutbuster has stated, “Often it’s difficult enough to know exactly when you need to dodge in order to avoid some damage, with a pet dodge you’d be required to not only keep track of your own position but also your pet’s exact position which also trying to see your pet amongst all the spell graphics surrounding bosses getting nuked, seeing red circles on the floor which may be behind the boss since that’s where your pet is, camera angles etc the list goes on a bit. In addition you’d also have to hit your own dodge key as well as an additional F key or any other key bind you have.”

I agree with him whole heartedly.

Yes, without a doubt there will be a small fraction of Ranger players that will benefit from a seperate pet dodge mechanic: the “Pro” player, if you will. These people have ridiculously quick reflexes, as well a superb RIGs and a mouse with dozens of key binds they have no problem dealing with. I’m NOT talking bad about these players; hey, god bless ’em, they are the exceptions to the general rule, and they make the most of it. These tend to be your best of the best players and are often found in sPvP/tPvP.

But for the non-PRO player, adding a seperate dodge mechanic for the pet will be an utter waste of time in dealing with the problem of Pets dying from AOE too much in dungeons —- the difference will be insignicant for the typical Ranger player who is under heavy duress from swarms of mobs, surrounded with heavy particle effects and trying to keep himself alive and contributing to the party.

Look, I’m not talking about that bottom 5 to 10% either, the folks that really have very poor reflexes and positional awareness, and who really can’t cope with the basic pace of this game. At least not in a difficult dungeon setting anyway. No, I’m referring to that big fat mass of players in the middle: also known as: the “majority” – the “average” – the “typical”.

For this group, many of the ideas being offered here will only result in the outcome stated by Shiren, “So micromanaging and resource management are the game-play being pushed by that kind of design. A lot of us play the class for the AI companion, not a micromanaged companion. Micromanaging, while increasing the skill cap (in a certain way), isn’t going to solve the problem for a lot of rangers, and for many players it takes the class in a direction they don’t want to go in.”

In essence many of the changes being proposed would transform the Ranger into a class that does not resemble the one that many people were looking for when they rolled it. Please keep this in mind as you consider the many OTHER options that exist to address pet mechanics and survivability.

Thank you.

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Ision.3207)

in Ranger

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

Oh, by the way, make the Jade Maw stop attacking pets, turrets, and minions.
Last night we were doing FotM and we had a ranger. 75% of the time the Maw would target the pet instead of the players.

We actually saw it target a defeated pet 6 times in a row.

Good then dps the tentacles you do just about the same damage as throwing crystals, you know that right?

in Ranger

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

This whole thread has had some amazing discussion. Huge props to Robert for his participation, its great to see some reasoning and in-depth responses, and especially to see actual ideas being thrown and acknowledged.

The F# functionality change ideas sound amazing.

in Ranger

phys.7689

I actually do go into the Zerg easily, and get kills on my Thief, my Mesmer, and my Elementalist.

It’s an entirely different game for these classes.

It’s night and day difference honestly. A full day on my Ranger, I thought I was doing good getting 100 badges. A full day on my other three classes it is unusual if I don’t get a full stack (250) badges.

The thing I can’t wrap my head around is that it seems Rangers are ok with mediocre. I really don’t care because I can always play the other classes, and if they don’t fix the Ranger, Necro, or Engineer soon, I’ll just delete them so I don’t have to look at time wasted every time I log into the game, or switch toons.

im not saying that ranger pets are great in WvW, but i am saying that you speak about the ability to go into a zerg like it costs nothing, mesmers need to slot skills for reflect/stability/generate clones/ use a weapon that gives invisible or utility that gives invisible. Thieves melt in AOE really, their main defense is the fact that unseen, they become harder to focus on, and have many evades and use initiative, thief who wants to do this pays in utility slots, lets not forget that currently thieves get extra invisibility due to culling, which may soon be greatly reduced.

in all truth i have specced for it, and my ranger gained the ability to survive pretty well in zergs, even the pet, the problem is this is not sustainable, and pets have less control in dealing with zerg life, Im all for solutions,

in Ranger

Posted by: Robert Hrouda.1327

Previous

Robert Hrouda.1327

Content Designer

Next

Robert, let tell you what I think adding a pet dodge mechanic will resolve for 90% of your Ranger player base: nothing.

Like Gutbuster has stated, “Often it’s difficult enough to know exactly when you need to dodge in order to avoid some damage, with a pet dodge you’d be required to not only keep track of your own position but also your pet’s exact position which also trying to see your pet amongst all the spell graphics surrounding bosses getting nuked, seeing red circles on the floor which may be behind the boss since that’s where your pet is, camera angles etc the list goes on a bit. In addition you’d also have to hit your own dodge key as well as an additional F key or any other key bind you have.”

Yes, without a doubt there will be a small fraction of Ranger players that will benefit from the mechanic: the “Pro” player, if you will. These people have ridiculously quick reflexes, as well a superb RIGs and a mouse with dozens of key binds they have no problem dealing with. I’m NOT talking bad about these players; hey, god bless ’em, they are the exceptions to the general rule, and they make the most of it. These tend to be your best of the best players and are often found in sPvP/tPvP.

But for the non-PRO player, adding a dodge mechanic for the pet will be an utter waste of time in dealing with the problem of Pets dying from AOE too much in dungeons —- the difference will be insignicant for the typical Ranger player who is under heavy duress from swarms of mobs, surrounded with heavy particle effects and trying to keep himself alive and contributing to the party.

Look, I’m not talking about that bottom 5 to 10% either, the folks that really have very poor reflexes and positional awareness, and who really can’t cope with the basic pace of this game. At least not in a difficult dungeon setting anyway. No, I’m referring to that big fat mass of players in the middle: also known as: the “majority” – the “average” – the “typical”.

For this group, many of the ideas being offered here will only result in the outcome stated by Shiren, “So micromanaging and resource management are the game-play being pushed by that kind of design. A lot of us play the class for the AI companion, not a micromanaged companion. Micromanaging, while increasing the skill cap (in a certain way), isn’t going to solve the problem for a lot of rangers, and for many players it takes the class in a direction they don’t want to go in.”

In essence many of the changes being proposed would transform the Ranger into a class that does not resemble the one that many people were looking for when they rolled it. Please keep this in mind as you consider the many OTHER options that exist to address pet mechanics and survivability.

Thank you.

We’re aware of that. Again part of what that list is, is a launching point for conversation and dialogue. Part of our jobs as designers is to take feedback and try to figure out the core of what is being said, and develop plans around that. I’m not saying those things are going to happen – I wish I could, but I can’t. It’s just something I can turn into a bullet point for us to address and talk about. These things take time, but I promise you I will be bringing these things up.

EDIT:
Oh, and in regards to the Jade Maw targeting pets, I made the conscious decision to allow it to target non-players. I have the ability to change that, but I prefer not to on the grounds that there is some gameplay there. My pet has made the ultimate sacrifice quite a few times while we res’d a down party members, providing groups with a much needed window to help others up and recover. I know it can be a bit frustrating if everything is going great and you’re not having any problems, but I’d much rather the pet provide a moment of relief for those struggling. I am open to debate on the subject, but that is for threads over in the dungeon forum, not here

DOUBLE EDIT:
Jade Maw should not target downed pets. We have a bug on it already and are aware of it.

(edited by Robert Hrouda.1327)

in Ranger

Ision.3207

Robert,

Thank you.

:-)

in Ranger

phys.7689

Robert, here is what I think adding a pet dodge mechanic will resolve for 90% of your Ranger player base: nothing.

Yes, without a doubt there will be a small fraction of Ranger players that will benefit from the mechanic: the “Pro” player, if you will. These people have ridiculously quick reflexes, as well a superb RIGs and a mouse with dozens of key binds they have no problem dealing with. I’m NOT talking bad about these players; hey, god bless ’em, they are the exceptions to the general rule, and they make the most of it. These tend to be your best of the best players and are often found in sPvP/tPvP.

But for the non-PRO player, adding a dodge mechanic for the pet will be an utter waste of time in dealing with the problem of Pets dying from AOE too much in dungeons —- the difference will be insignicant for the typical Ranger player who is under heavy duress from swarms of mobs, surrounded with heavy particle effects and trying to keep himself alive and contributing to the party.

Thank you.

thing is we are essentially talking about how pets work in high end content here, dungeons, WvWvW etc. Dungeons were announced as, and meant to be a place for challenging content. This is where people go who play their classes at a high level.
It really is not feasible, and can never be logically, for pets to be able to do what players do with substantially less risk. If pets have mechanics that just make them stronger and better than regular players, then pets will be OP.

Rangers are fine, and probably even overpowered in mid level combat. they can do better in the open world, and in dynamic events that arent scaled high, they can get out of most tough situations. Rangers non pet based combat is actually fairly simple, probably the most simple aside from maybe warrior. people talk about lots of button presses and things to manage, while on my mesmer im managing clones, illusions, cool downs, shatters, and utility. On engineer, your managing multiple toolkits, changing f1-f4 abilities, greater access to self created combos etc. Theif might be simple except its one of the most papery classes in the game, in a dungeon a good theif MUST avoid or predict enemy attacks in order to survive.

having to press buttons is part of the game, your pet doesnt need to survive forever, just long enough be swapped out with intelligent play. Supporting your pet is the identity of the ranger class.

As i said in previous posts, i can understand a desire not to need split second timing, however, you should definately have to either sacrifice some pet offense for defense, or actively manage how your pet reacts. Pets arent just the flavor text of ranger, its the class mechanic. people who enjoy ranger should basically want to have pets, and to some extent control pets.

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Like i said, simply make our dodge apply aegis to the pet.

Simple, and easy to do.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in Ranger

Ision.3207

“On engineer, your managing multiple toolkits, changing f1-f4 abilities, greater access to self created combos etc. Theif might be simple except its one of the most papery classes in the game, in a dungeon a good theif MUST avoid or predict enemy attacks in order to survive.”

Very true …. I have an Ele and can relate.

However, there is an enormous difference between having to manage all those things for yourself, and ONLY yourself —- and having to manage them for both yourself AND a NON- DISPOSABLE pet (pets are NOT phantasms/clones, their fucntionality and purpose is hugely different). Imagine if you had to manage not only your own dodge, but that of the Guardian in your group/party as well — how well would that work out for you?

Further, there are many OTHER options (like a dungeon only pet aegis on player dodge, say a 5 sec 50% aegis). A seperate pet dodge button for a pet that may be a good distance from me, and in the middle of endless partical effects … well, … idk … seems to me that it will work very infrequently.

(edited by Ision.3207)

in Ranger

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

Speaking about WvW… what about siege? I love my LB there, but seeing my pet just standing near me, wasting all those precious numbers (even when not specced into BM) is painful. As perma stow is not an option, have you considered some kind of “support pets”? You know, things that, instead of making damage, would pop some buffs for party (red moa on passive for it’s F2 is what I mean, but still too big loss in dmg). I believe there are other uses for such pets, maybe even as alternative to “normal ones” for ppl who, like me, plasy ranger mostly for his weapon skills.
And btw. it’s nice to see someone speaking to us If I were dev I’d be afraid to post on professions forums xD

in Ranger

Posted by: Wenissa.2967

Wenissa.2967

One of the reasons why the Ranger and pet are built the way that they are, is because if we gave the ranger all the power, then the pet would have to be useless and vestigial, or everyone would claim rangers are OP.

Personally I tend to do well keeping a pet non-hostile until the zergs actually clash – then switching him to hostile and managing his target. Otherwise when I try to shoot some arrows at somebody,

Firstly, thank you for all your time in this thread.

I agree with your first part,
I disagree with your second part.
I mainly wvwvw.
Hence I am going to slightly digress from the thread topic.

Your quote is basically saying if you want to wvw you have to wait until your zerg commits full scale into the other before you use your class mechanic whilst suffering a 40% dps loss. No other classs suffers in not being able to use their class mechanic during wvw like this. You are futher saying that you have to run in wvwvw with specific class traits, and utility slots. I don’t want signet of stone and the sharing trait, I want a trap trait and a 3rd trap.

Which leads me back to a slight rewrite of your opening statement:

For me the pet is a useless and vestigal, because its dead most of the time or stuck inside or outside a tower doing 70 dmg to a gate and rangers are considered UnderPowered for wvwvw.

I don’t run BM, I run as a bow/axe-horn & trap user. Yeah I’ve got an odd build, it works for me, even though the dmg output is horrible.

We are supposed to be given optional playstyles, spirits, power pet, archer, trap … but in wvwvw, we are being told now: be useless or run full bm with specific utilites. And even if you do your still useless inside or outside a tower siege.

This is where my frustration comes from. Not dungeons I don’t really do them.

I would love to use my pet more in wvw but he just dies before I can get his f2 to fire. Wolves are a great example for a front line zerg breaker… send wolf in f2 howl for fear, cause choas, get back out. Trouble is the pet just never gets the howl off so I should spec signet of stone and the trait I don’t want. I don’t.

Currently, zerg breaking for me is the following:

Run in, with dodge rolls for evade / protection procs, drop entangle (this gives me all boons due to armour), 3 traps, nme panics, leg it, hit wolf f2 and hope it fires to cover my escape.

Mostly I survive, mostly the wolf is dead before I get to the nme, mostly the nme panics, mostly my teammates use the confusion caused to kill off those players who couldn’t escape entangles roots whilst the rest of the nme backpedal. Mostly I do this because no one wants to be first cos you are likely to die, but if one person commits more will and you can easily rout the opposition. I play low tier so the zergs are 20 – 30 players mostly.

For tower sieges, I place frost & spike traps to prevent nme players getting back in the tower to reinfoce defences, I use LB 4 and axe 3 to slow them further, I use wolf to fear them from the door, I use poison trap to reduce their heals to give us maximum opportunity to stop them making them gate. The wolf rarely ever gets his fear to hit or his leap or anything really but hey at least he tries assuming wall defenders and their aoe havnt already killed him.

This shows that obviously we can play with different builds and have use but and its a big BUT: I’m doing all this with no help from the class mechanic, so I lose 40% dmg on incoming players, I lose my F2 special, and this makes wvwvw far harder than it should be compared to other professions.

The only time I find the pet useful: fighting thieves (since latest patch) because he reacts before culling renders the thief. This lets me know where the invisible person is. He never actually hits the person but hey he provides me with targetting co-ordinates. Incidentally that lets me time culling on my computer to approx 2.5 seconds. Pet takes off you see the black destealth swirl , wait 2.5 secs, thief renders, you target and try to do some dmg in the 0.5secs remaining on reveal debuff

I could go on with more and more examples of wvwvw zerg play, 1v1’s, small group fights and so on where the pet is entirely useless and my class mechanic is a hinderance rather than power up its supposed to be.

Instead I would like to reiterate what some others have already said: please make f2 fire instantly, please up the protection the pet has against aoe in some form be it dodge aegis passive dmg reduction or other solution, please let us res/rally dead pets somehow.

Sorry for the ramble: its just so awesome and unprecedented to have a real life dev in our section of the forums!

Sorry for the lack of suggested fixes, but there are already plenty of excellent ideas in this thread.

Thank you again for remaingin with us.

in Ranger

Posted by: Florgknight.1589

Florgknight.1589

Robert, let tell you what I think adding a pet dodge mechanic will resolve for 90% of your Ranger player base: nothing.

Thank you.

We’re aware of that. Again part of what that list is, is a launching point for conversation and dialogue. Part of our jobs as designers is to take feedback and try to figure out the core of what is being said, and develop plans around that. I’m not saying those things are going to happen – I wish I could, but I can’t. It’s just something I can turn into a bullet point for us to address and talk about. These things take time, but I promise you I will be bringing these things up.

EDIT:
Oh, and in regards to the Jade Maw targeting pets, I made the conscious decision to allow it to target non-players. I have the ability to change that, but I prefer not to on the grounds that there is some gameplay there. My pet has made the ultimate sacrifice quite a few times while we res’d a down party members, providing groups with a much needed window to help others up and recover. I know it can be a bit frustrating if everything is going great and you’re not having any problems, but I’d much rather the pet provide a moment of relief for those struggling. I am open to debate on the subject, but that is for threads over in the dungeon forum, not here

The issue isn`t that the thing is targetting pets, but it likes to target them while they`re downed already.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

• 90% Damage reduction from AoE
  • High survivability for all pets
  • Dedicated heal for pets
  • On demand swap to 1 of 5 pets
  • Pets do only about 20% of a Hunter/Warlocks DPS unless they are specced for Pet based combat (Where it becomes 50-60% of their DPS and pets get massive boosts)
  • Pets scale from owners stats.
  • Pet talents allow for insta-res when it dies, increase of armour, healing etc
  • Pets have their own action bar that incorporates “Attack”, “Heel”, “Go Here” “Agressive (Attack anything hostile nearby)” “Defensive (Attack only when master is attacked” “Assist (Attack when master attacks/is attacked)” and “Passive (Don’t attack)” along with activated abilities used by pets (Can also macro them to place them on normal action bar)

Even though some people might immediately try to burn you at the stake for mentioning WoW, the guys over at Blizzard did provide me with a very nice and functional Hunter for the 3 years I played their game. I still remember those fond days of Wintergrasp and sending Loque’nahak into a pack of adversaries. Her Spirit Strike DoT was especially effective against Rogues.

As such I believe ANet should look at other games that have pet-classes in order to see how they can improve the Ranger and not discuss ‘what if’ theories during their meetings without apparently taking notice of the fact that other classes already do it.

I’m referring here to this supposed test where 2 Rangers working in perfect harmony could potentially -in theory- trivialize certain boss encounters through clever use of their pets if the pets would have AoE damage reduction (when other classes can already trivialize certain boss encounters through clever use of their skills solo).

As such, here is another list of potential changes for improvement:

• AoE damage reduction for pets
  • Pet stats scale according to player stats
  • Higher base survivability (toughness/vitality)
  • Reduce base damage of pets (so more Pet:20%/Ranger:80%)
  • Increased base damage for Ranger (so more Pet:20%/Ranger:80%)
  • If pet is defeated and returns to owner, pet starts regaining health (slowly)
  • Add different AI-modes for pets: Agressive/Defensive/Assist/Passive
  • Improve overall AI (pets should use innate survival instincts automatically)
  • Improve the ability to hit moving targets more reliably

^_^

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Moddo.7105

Moddo.7105

All I want is a pet that picks up all the loot bags. Don’t really use pet since Guard got nerfed.

Not nerfed, fixed.

No nerfed. Guard was change a few patches back from why it is now to the way it was before last patch. It was not OP in that state till people figured out that they could Guard + Search and Rescue to cheese way into keeps with Mesmer Portals. So instead of fixing that issue they took easy way out and changed Guard back. It was easier to revert to old code rather than right new code.

in Ranger

Moddo.7105

The devs say they want to avoid splitting skills between PvP and PvE

Well in the case of Thieves this does not hold true. Eng/Ranger/Mesmer nerfs that where because of sPvP also effected WvW/PvE. The nerfs Thieves got to cluster bomb/C&D and other skills where only in sPvP/tPvP. So they only split them mainly for Thief abilities cause why would devs nerf class they like most.

in Ranger

Moddo.7105

All I want is a pet that picks up all the loot bags. Don’t really use pet since Guard got nerfed.

Not nerfed, fixed.

So will they be fixing Mesmers illusions?

What does Mesmer illusion have to do with guard? And why ask that person he is just another Joe nobody like reset of us How would he know the Devs plans.

in Ranger

Moddo.7105

I’ll admit I don’t WvW as much as I likely should. When I do though, I tend to avoid the larger battles due to culling and those pesky stealth thieves who seem to pick my Anet tag out of the crowd and proceed to stick daggers in my spine.

Those Thieves are not targeting you because of Anet tag. It is fact you are a ranger and one easier targets for a good thief to down. A Ranger provides a nice and easy target for C&D that only a mesmer can match but when you kill a mesmer clone with C&D it can put crap on you.

in Ranger

Posted by: Avathor.1849

Avathor.1849

Some suggestions to enhance the pet-experience. To make the pet more “intelligent” and also someone that enhances your role:

1. Be able to stove the pet for 10-15 seconds. It doesnt appear back before that timer ends unless you press the “stove button again”, and ranger get swiftness

2. The pet should ALWAYS aim to get behind the target attacking his back, or at the side. But at least it attacks from the opposite direction from the ranger.
Now, this gives at least two benefits: It dodges aoe directed at players.. (because it isnt infront). And second it might attract the attention of the target (if doing enough aggro) so that the Short Bow can make them bleed.. That way the SB will be more useful also.
THAT would be a blessing.

3. Pets F2 needs to me more instant. Right now it is so dodgeable and broken it is a joke, really..

4. If the player calls for the pet to return then perhaps the pet can have protection and some regen for 3-5 sec. If not i cant be bothered to ever use that button and rather leave it to its destiny; Cannonfodder!

5. Let pets avoid critical hits and/or also let dmg more then 500 hp be ignored. That way at least its not instakilled all the time.

6. Actually, to me.. i think that the pets F2 skill should just trigger the first thing the pet does. Thus no need to press F2. And also they use it on recharge. That way i would feel so good inside when the pet feels helpful and “intelligent”.

Just saying

(edited by Avathor.1849)

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

You say this, but this is exactly how pets turned out regardless of the damage they’ve done. You really did turn them into a fire-and-forget type aspect for the class. Take Fractals for example… Rangers just throw the pet in until its dead because Agony will 1 shot it anyway, switch pet and repeat as often as possible.

It’s the same for PvP. There isn’t any real thought process. In zergs you sit there with the pet on passive until you’re ready to need some burst and you send the pet in with your F2 ability in the hopes it gets there and fires before it’s killed off. It’s the same in roaming where you don’t care what the pets doing or what’s happening to the pet. You just have it on auto until you need F2 and once it’s fired off, you swap pets, and use its F2 right after.

Part of the reason for this is because you’ve designed the class in a way to offer absolutely no burst potential at all outside of the pets. Aside from this, all you really left the ranger to do is strafe in circles and auto-attack until you need to swap weapons and swoop away, or drop a trap to either get away or do condition damage.

The class is very one note and it isn’t even effective because so much of the class’ potential is tied up in a pet that really isn’t anything more than a homing missile to land some burst or uncontrollable CC via knockdowns and tail lashes.

You should either push the issue to the extreme and remove the pet damage (or drastically scale it back) with the idea that you want the pets to be little more than the class’ burst damage, or you need to expand the role the pet plays for the class so it’s not only more than a DOT with a name and some funky moves, but actually can be effective at being more than just a DOT or a homing missile.

Personally? I wish you’d just give the ranger back 35-40% of the pets damage and make the pet a 10% damage DOT with some burst. With the way pet swapping works, you’ve already removed any attachment players had for their pets in the first palce.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

On my mesmer, with one build, I can be effective in 1v1s, small skirmishes, as well as zerg fights while my Ranger seems unable to do this. The pet dying so quickly and easily in zerg fights is one part of this.

Rangers are able to do it. Just equip a long bow, throw down a spike trap, and be mindful of your barrage and you’re going to make a big difference. A well placed barrage from 2 or 3 rangers will make rushing forward a lot less appealing to an attacking army, and when they finally do come charging in switch to axes or some other close quarters weapon and micro your pet.
I just don’t like the big battles and tend to avoid them – but longbows are pretty strong in WvW.

From my experience in WvW on my Ranger:

• Longbows are bad if you are a condition build.
  • Volley is a 30 second cooldown … so the rest of the time I’m doing … ?
  • I do the same or better single-target damage with the shortbow compared to the longbow … there is a reason you see many ranger videos with rangers with 0 condition damage still using the shortbow instead of the longbow.
  • Spike trap is often set off in zerg fights by pets, minions, and illusions.
  • I don’t feel like I should be forced to use longbow and traps to be useful in zergs when my Mesmer can make great use of all his weapons in zerg fights.
  • I don’t feel it is fair that the Ranger class mechanic (pet) is drastically worse off in zerg fights when others operate just as well if not better (see: Warrior Killshot) in zerg fights.

just trait correctly and LB is awesome. Crit build 20/30/5/10/5 (to increase the duration of RAO) or 20/30/10/0/10 can give you a massive damage on the LB, couple that with zerker trinkets, zerker bow and zerker gear you can pretty much dish out constant 2000’s with the LB primary at 1200 range… go beyond that (manual snipe, since auto attack is bugged on LB beyond 1200) you can hit for upwards of 2800, constantly.

For extra pain, use a signet of accuracy, or signet of force to amplify that critbuild further.

For utilities use the following; Healing Spring ( to get rid of conditions), Quickening zephyr, Lightning Reflexes, Spike trap, RAO/Entangling Roots

For pets use; Brown bear (shake it off) and wolf (fear).

Traits to use;
Increased LB range (master power)
Chance to bleed on crit, decreased bow cooldown, 50% trap size + throwable traps (initiate, master, grandmaster marksman)
Survival skill cooldown (initiate wilderness survival)
pet skill optional.

that insane setup worked out for me for over a month, but lately, iv’e been finding it more fun to melee.
If you play defensively/dont run in the midst of zergs, you can pick off and oblitterate any enemy within your range before most of them even know what hit em. (QZ + RAO + Rapid Fire = 15k damage or more)

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

2. The pet should ALWAYS aim to get behind the target attacking his back, or at the side. But at least it attacks from the opposite direction from the ranger.
Now, this gives at least two benefits: It dodges aoe directed at players.. (because it isnt infront). And second it might attract the attention of the target (if doing enough aggro) so that the Short Bow can make them bleed.. That way the SB will be more useful also.
THAT would be a blessing.

THAT’d be curse. I’m using pet as shield sometimes and I never run with SB. Also, what if mobs it’s attacking also tried to stay behind it?

in Ranger

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

I was going to leave a snarky comment, but then I saw Robert’s posts.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

I disagree with that assessment. The problem with the current framework, as you’ve already identified is that you’re automating DPS in the form of the pet where if you gave them to little power, they’re anemic to borderline useless as they are now; alternatively, if you overbuffed the pet and turn them into aggressive dungeon mobs that can hit moving targets consistently, they’re grossly overpowered in pvp. In a pvp based game, I would argue that there’s no way to balance this because it’s a catch 22 situation. Not to mention by taking control out of the ranger’s hand, you’re introducing all kinds of imbalance that we see currently, and also randomness and ultimately skill debasement into the meta. CCing is one of the basic things you need to do to shut down classes like thieves and ellies. If I cannot control whether my wolf CCs someone, is it really skill if I managed to beat him? How would you even try to balance something when the forms of pet attack are seemingly random?This is completely different from other forms of competition like Texas Hold’em where EVERY player is exposed to the same element of chance. Here’s it’s only in one class. This is why I think it’s a can of worms that should have never been opened in the first place.

In regards to your assessment that giving ranger full or close to full power would render the pet useless, the more elegant solution from the start should’ve been not to focus on pet DPS at all but make them a source of utilities. You have an ice drake, why not let the pet change all your weapon skills to have ice attributes and even change your skill set with each of the different elements? You have a bear, why not let it CC and physically block the enemy from getting to the ranger like a line backer or have the ranger literally hide behind it to dodge projectiles? You have birds of prey, why not let them change your skill sets and or increase your precision to snipe? Having the ranger play more similar to an elly where switching pet would be similar to switching stance would get rid of all of the problems this class currently faces.

I realize this is probably far too late but I really think this is something that needs to be taken into consideration in your expansions, maybe you guys will be given the opportunity to revise and evolve the class.

We should be playing a whole toon, not half a toon and letting a bot play us.

(edited by Aridia.3042)

in Ranger

Posted by: Akisame.9508

Akisame.9508

I agree with Aridia. I have always been against pet’s having so much of our dps, it’s always a bad idea to have an AI responsible for so much of your damage. If you look at my post’s about pet’s, I have always mentioned similar stuff as to what Aridia just mentioned about pets. If we are going to have pets then make them give buffs and such, not dps. The dps should always be with the player that can choose what attack to do and when to do it, not some buggy AI.

I haven’t played in the last month because I don’t like any other class and because I’m tired of not being able to put up the damage I see everyone else put up because the majority of the time when I’m defending or attacking a keep or even a player, my pet is doing nothing or is dead, so I’m only putting out half of the damage that I should be putting out.

Honestly, I would love to see something like what Aridia said put into play before a pet dodge does. Heck, if that happens, we might not even need a pet dodge anymore!

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

I think if you switched the pet to a more utility role it would be more like the Engineer’s toolbelt than the Elementalist’s attunement swapping.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aden Celeste.3650

Aden Celeste.3650

Robert, are you seriously saying your ranger is awesome in PVP, WVW and PVE?

We use pets as a missile. Send it over to the enemy and hope its f2 skill works, if not (because its bugged out) the pet is already dead and we lost 30-40% of our damage… so its better to run.

No disrespect, but that is bogus.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bailey.6892

Bailey.6892

Here is the solution,
The ranger has already suffered enough due to anet so lets just get this awesome solution implemented.

Take pets out of the game, give all the damage back to the ranger and once er if anet ever fix’s pets then reintroduce them to the ranger class as an optional component in the beast master line.

Pets are broken, the devs know it the customer knows it, the game was in development for how long and has been out now for how long? Enough is enough already.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

a ranger has the ability to be awesome, but it requires you to multitask like a veteran macdonalds manager… in other words, you need to do 15 things at once, flawlessly, or you get fired (killed)

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

We use pets as a missile. Send it over to the enemy and hope its f2 skill works, if not (because its bugged out) the pet is already dead and we lost 30-40% of our damage… so its better to run.

LOL, I only wish they were reliable like a missile. I’ve got over11k kills in WvW and one of the things I keep trying to do is to send my wolf into a zerg on the borderlands and have him fear someone off a cliff for the kill. It hasn’t happened yet, not even close. The “missile” keeps getting intercepted.

in Ranger

Posted by: Arpheus.6918

Arpheus.6918

I’m wondering that almost everyone here dislikes the pets as source of damage. I actually like that the pet does good damage but in PvP where enemies are not stupid and stand still what is needed is that the pet hits moving targets really reliable.

If we get that fix I will enjoy having a pet which can do stuff while I do other stuff. The pet feels like a good partner/servant as it is now. Even in PvP overall it is not really bad except that it has such a hard time hitting kiting people. My bow in up to 900 range won’t miss except if they dodge or use other defensive abilities like block. My pet on the other side can be kited so that it can deliver its damage only like 1/4th of the time.

I think there is a solution to these problems. Fix pets really hitting targets while moving and not stopping for a second while doint that or at least increase their speed so they can catch up faster.
The 2nd issue, the Ranged pets: Increase the range to around 1200 and make them attack down from walls. They will finally not only stand on the wall doing nothing. From the balance point of view its also ok because they cannot stand there forever because of AoE on walls.
Then increase their projectile speed by 50% so that you can only avoid their shots by dodging and not by simply walking sideways and the ranger would finally be able to deliver his full damage potential.
On top of that give us at least one ranged DPS pet with like no utility but serios ranged damage.
That way the pet wouldn’t feek so useless for many of us in PvP but we would enjoy it.
I also think that people wouldn’t ask to change our pets to deal only 20% of our dmg any more if the pet was reliable.

(edited by Arpheus.6918)

in Ranger

Akisame.9508

That way the pet wouldn’t feek so useless for many of us in PvP but we would enjoy it.
I also think that people wouldn’t ask to change our pets to deal only 20% of our dmg any more if the pet was reliable.

That’s the problem, if they make the pet hit more frequently to solve the issue we are having with pets not attacking moving targets, then it fixes part of the problem of PvP/WvW but it breaks PvE because the pets will be doing to much damage in PvE. This is the reason why many of us are saying to remove the damage from pets and give it back to the players. Then you can make the pets give buffs to the ranger/group and CC target’s and stuff like that. Doing it this way fixes the problem we have in PvP/WvW and in the same time it doesn’t break PvE.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sairenkao.6485

Sairenkao.6485

What about pets having their own endurance bar and making F3 their dodge? This makes vigor worth something on pets. If it’s too strong, perhaps pets can swap in with 0/50% endurance.

I am against having F1 toggle between attack and return. It would make switching targets more difficult, since you will need to remember to return then attack.

in Ranger

Akisame.9508

If you think using f1 to toggle between attack and return is going to be difficult, then why do you want pet dodge on f3? You don’t have enough with just keeping an eye around your character and making sure there is no red ring around you but you want to keep your other eye on your pet and making sure there is no ring around him either? On top of that you think you can dodge both your toon and your pet quicker then that area effect can hit? Sorry, I for one do not want to go cross eyed, nor are my reflexes like they where 20 years ago, unfortunately, I haven’t found the fountain of youth yet

in Ranger

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

while i appreciate dungeon changes, my main focus is WvWvW.

it needs buffs badly. I would say even more than dungeons minus fractals.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Ranger

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

Adding more buttons that the player has to fire off with perfect timing to make the pet useful would not help. And increasing their stats runs the risk of god-mode.

So what’s left? AI and abilities.

AI upgrades can be tricky, as minor increases can tax server resources exponentially. It might be better to simulate good AI with abilities that involve no real decision making for the AI or player.

Example: Give them an endurance bar. If you can’t upgrade the AI to allow them to perceive an incoming attack and then dodge it like a player can, just give them a passive ability to ablate incoming damage while they still have endurance left. Ablating damage of course drains endurance. It does not have to be a perfect and faithful reproduction of the dodge mechanic in order to give the same end effect in game play. (maybe an invisible and non-corruptible version of the Aegis boon that has a 1 second recharge that also removes pet endurance when it applies initially on the pet, and does not reapply if there is not endurance to fuel it?)

As far as melee pets not being able to reliably melee; give them a pounce/charge/swoop attack that shares the same DPS as the regular auto-attack, but put a cool down on it to keep a comfortable balance between perfect tracking and pointless. No decision making on the part of the AI need be done at that point either if it is just on the rotation list.

(edited by Overkillengine.6084)

in Ranger

Posted by: Bailey.6892

Bailey.6892

while i appreciate dungeon changes, my main focus is WvWvW.

it needs buffs badly. I would say even more than dungeons minus fractals.

I am with you, WvWvW is where it is at.

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

I too like it when Jade Maw targets a pet when we’re in trouble, but find it annoying when we’re not in trouble. I, again, think that this is another example where a permanent stow is required. If it doesn’t go well, leave the pet out, if it’s going smooth, stow the pet permanently.

There are so many situations where a permanent stow would be perfect. I’m not talking about giving the ranger a buff for stowing the pet.

Yes you want rangers to use the pet and they will, but sometimes they need to be put away at the player’s own discression. “Avoid Combat” should make stow permanent, while “Guard” should leave stow as it works now (but neither should react to falling damage)

edit: by the way, Jade Maw targets dead pets too

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Hi Robert!
I think you may have missed my post on this thread. So I’ll add a picture this time.

Can we please have a pet UI upgrade? A numerical health bar (I just pasted my HP on to the pets HP bar, I know thats not the real number. And all the pets boons/condition/etc show up above the pet UI so we don’t have to click on our pets?

Thank you!

PS. And yes. Please fix Jade Maw so it will stop targeting pets. If that was intentional, then please fix Jade Maw so it will stop targeting dead pets. Thank you!

Attachments:

(edited by kiwituatara.6053)