Rofl, Spirits ignored again

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

Thats true, profs with higher rof will proc it all the time whereas hammer warriors for example wont. Thats the other issue with spirit boons…theyre not always on demand especially when ure retreating and not attacking. But as I said I dont see warrior banners giving reliable aoe cripple and frost fields. Protection, when it is procced, is still the best defensive boon.

But a fun fact: with 1.2k healing, regen from HS and SoN elite give the entire group 800 hps. This is like godmode. And SoN can soak up a lot of damage.

Might on the sun spirit would solve a lot of support ranger problems.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

(edited by nerva.7940)

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I always wondered about spirits + rune of the monk. How do I know the aegis bonus is applied to my spirits? Has anyone tested that?

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

I’ve tried using spirits in the fractals. They take a hit and suddenly I have no benefit and a utility on a ~60 sec cooldown.

This is the primary issue. If we can be given a way for them to survive long enough to give their boons or maybe be given a longer range so we can put them in a safer location while benefitting from them, then we can talk about what they give versus other similar abilities.

Until then, it’s a utility that dies quite quickly.

Honestly, think of our spirits in the various fractals. I can see each one being extremely useless in their current state.

The best place currently to use spirits? Keep/Tower defense. You can keep them far enough back from the wall that they won’t get hit by AOE/etc. yet close enough for defenders on that wall to gain the benefit. Sadly … with guard being changed, Rangers got nerfed in sieges since we can’t send the pet out without going out ourselves … a large portion of our dps stuck on the wall … but that’s for another thread.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

Spirits are actually half decent in roams and make a difference. If you stay in the back u can keep the spirits alive well enough and u can perma fury/swiftness your group with warhorn. Give it a try next time youre in wvw. As I said, SoN + HS is godmode for the group and lasts for a whole minute.

Spirits do need serious buffs though im not denying that.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in Ranger

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

Sun is bad for organized groups for one reason: burning stacks in duration. When the target is called to be focused the ENTIRE group affected by sun is adding only like 400dps and thats if ure full condi specced. This is pathetic. So sun doesnt scale in any way and is quite bad.

Sun scales off of the player who applies the burning not the ranger, it -can- be good, I kinda prefer the suggestion that it should give might as well as burn though, would make it a bit more useful.

Considering a Guardian can keep burning up permanently with minimal effort, and there is generally an Elementalist also adding burning in area effect, this is an overkill. The spirit is virtually worthless in any situation, but solo. And applaying burning by traps is far better in a solo situation.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

My banner Warrior can keep up permanently Fury, 3 stacks of Might, Swiftness, and Regen on an entire group. That is in addition to being able to provide the banner stats themselves.

I don’t see why the spirits can’t do something similar.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in Ranger

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

At least they’ll get agony resistance…

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

I know the pet will, but did they also say Spirits?

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.8367

Ryan.8367

Funny, they thought guardians were fine where they’re at in SoG, except theyre getting a 10% dmg reduction innate because devs feel they need to be able to take more damage.

Tanbin 80 Ranger
Maguuma

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

Funny, they thought guardians were fine where they’re at, except theyre getting a 10% dmg reduction innate because devs feel they need to be able to take more damage.

This cracks me up, and makes me sad. I initially quit my Guardian because the nerfs to the heals were getting too much. Why not just reverse the nerfs to the Guardians healing abilities?

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Funny, they thought guardians were fine where they’re at, except theyre getting a 10% dmg reduction innate because devs feel they need to be able to take more damage.

This cracks me up, and makes me sad. I initially quit my Guardian because the nerfs to the heals were getting too much. Why not just reverse the nerfs to the Guardians healing abilities?

Because heals can affect more than just the Guardian.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

I have a feeling I’ll be going back to my Guardian next patch.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Sun is bad for organized groups for one reason: burning stacks in duration. When the target is called to be focused the ENTIRE group affected by sun is adding only like 400dps and thats if ure full condi specced. This is pathetic. So sun doesnt scale in any way and is quite bad.

Sun scales off of the player who applies the burning not the ranger, it -can- be good, I kinda prefer the suggestion that it should give might as well as burn though, would make it a bit more useful.

Considering a Guardian can keep burning up permanently with minimal effort, and there is generally an Elementalist also adding burning in area effect, this is an overkill. The spirit is virtually worthless in any situation, but solo. And applaying burning by traps is far better in a solo situation.

Or, you know, a group situation where none of your friends play a guardian or ele…

I didn’t say “zomg guys sun spirit is amazing!” I simply said, “sun spirit is pretty strong in some situations.”

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I know the pet will, but did they also say Spirits?

ALL pets are, so minions, spirits, spirit weapons, thieves (summoned ones), rune pets, clones/phantasms, turrets, etc.

in Ranger

jkctmc.8754

Or, you know, a group situation where none of your friends play a guardian or ele…

I didn’t say “zomg guys sun spirit is amazing!” I simply said, “sun spirit is pretty strong in some situations.”

I see Guardians, and Elementalists everywhere. The best groups will be running these two classes as the core of the group. It isn’t the same on your server? I’m talking WvW by the way.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I see Guardians, and Elementalists everywhere. The best groups will be running these two classes as the core of the group. It isn’t the same on your server? I’m talking WvW by the way.

Oh well we’re on different subjects lol I’m talking about 5mans, yeah in open world or WvW I don’t even touch sun spirit, because as you said, guardians and eles can keep up perma burning. I wa just saying there are -some- situations it’s useful, but I still think it needs some love, maybe applying might when it procs the burning or something?

But yeah my server (TC) has Guardians and Eles everywhere in WvW.

in Ranger

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Someone mentioned that they don’t use spirits in fractals. I actually do. I put down a sun spirit for the harpies, bloomhunger, and the jellyfish. In two of those cases it just makes the fight go faster and I could have used sharpening stones. For the harpies I only really get the benefit for one harpy before moving out of range, so again I could use sharpening stones.

In all of those cases I’m not triggering the spirit. This seems to me to be a fundamental problem with spirits. In all cases where you want to trigger the spirit on nearby enemies the enemies instead kill the spirit too fast. We can trait up for the benefits on death but this really only makes them into a trap, but we don’t need more traps, and we are using a trait to get an effect we should get without wasting a trait.

So I suppose I’m suggesting that the activated portion of the spirit is removed and either (1) the spirit is non-corporeal and just watches over the target area while giving its benefit or (2) the physical spirit gives a worthwhile effect when it is summoned and then gives its benefit within the area as long as it is alive. The on-death trait can be removed and something useful put in its place. The spirits look really mediocre anyway and I wouldn’t visually miss them at all.

in Ranger

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

You can’t get mad at them for things they did not say.

Yes we can. They ignored the majority of our profession’s issues yet again. We’ve had enough, our patience is gone. If they don’t read the forum, pay attention to us and actually learn about our class, they aren’t doing their jobs.

Okay. Let us return to a time period in which we just put up, keep our eyes to the floor, buy gems and accept the mediocrity the devs are offering us. Does that sound better to you?

You’re talking like the devs are out to get you or come murder your puppy.
Why not blame yourself for not keeping up to date and talking with the host to give him your questions?

I lack the time to chat with incompetent interviewers. I have a job and a life to lead, dunno about you.

Furthermore, I have every right to speak as I do. The devs aren’t doing their jobs, and they’ve been letting a profession with so much potential sit and rust since launch and are ONLY NOW addressing a FEW of its issues and in response buffing other already balanced(and arguably overpowered) professions. I can’t stand that.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

in Ranger

Posted by: KensaiZen.3740

KensaiZen.3740

I’ve tested using spirits in dungeons (not fractals) and it is easily a very good utility for theranger. This was also untraited!

With a combination of using the longbow with extended range and piercing arrow, the ranger turned into an arrow turret. The extended range (eagle eye) allowed all the skills the be used at a distance that mobs simply do not Agro. This results in the spirits not being at risk of dmg from any form of attack be it ranged or AoE.

The flaw is that it doesn’t become a very good group utility since half the party will be out of range of their buffs.

There are a few simple tweaks to make spirits more viable and that’s to increase their effect range to 1200 and to proc the boons every 5 seconds (unless they were designed for boss fights where it takes over 10 seconds to kill something)

Spirits are for area control. If you have been using them at 900 range and its not working for you. Its a L2 kitten ue.

Winters Ascension The White Guardian
Sophia Theos Beast Master
[Fissure of Woe]

in Ranger

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Yes we can. They ignored the majority of our profession’s issues yet again. We’ve had enough, our patience is gone. If they don’t read the forum, pay attention to us and actually learn about our class, they aren’t doing their jobs.

Okay. Let us return to a time period in which we just put up, keep our eyes to the floor, buy gems and accept the mediocrity the devs are offering us. Does that sound better to you?

Why not blame yourself for not keeping up to date and talking with the host to give him your questions?

I lack the time to chat with incompetent interviewers. I have a job and a life to lead, dunno about you.

Furthermore, I have every right to speak as I do. The devs aren’t doing their jobs, and they’ve been letting a profession with so much potential sit and rust since launch and are ONLY NOW addressing a FEW of its issues and in response buffing other already balanced(and arguably overpowered) professions. I can’t stand that.

No one said you don’t have the right to voice your opinion, but if you want to speak up as the voice of rangers, using lines like “we’ve had enough”, “they don’t pay attention to us”, or getting on your high horse expecting them to go out of their way to read your kittentry, then I’d have to say you’re not taking responsibility as the voice of Rangers to make the issues known.

If your problems are so severe, do something about it. If you’re too busy with your day job to make an impact, whining on the forums and sitting around being jaded is only hurting yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: capuchinseven.8395

capuchinseven.8395

No one said you don’t have the right to voice your opinion, but if you want to speak up as the voice of rangers, using lines like “we’ve had enough”, “they don’t pay attention to us”, or getting on your high horse expecting them to go out of their way to read your kittentry, then I’d have to say you’re not taking responsibility as the voice of Rangers to make the issues known.

If your problems are so severe, do something about it. If you’re too busy with your day job to make an impact, whining on the forums and sitting around being jaded is only hurting yourself.

+1.

The bravest animal in the land is Captain Beaky and his band.