Rune of Evasion and Remorseless

in Ranger

Posted by: Eirh.1439

Eirh.1439

Q:

I’m thinking about which rune set to take for my newish WvW roaming build and came across the Superior Rune of Evasion.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_Evasion

I think it’s rather obvious what I’m thinking about with this rune, it’s basically an additional Fury Source to proc Remorseless. Now there is one thing I’m not sure about. Wiki says that the dodge roll will also proc a cripple attack, which deals a bit of damage.

Now my question: If I dodge roll into an enemy, will this minor bit of damage instantly use up my opening strike that I get from the dodge roll, which would prevent me from actually using the +25% damage part for an attack that can actually use it? Perhaps there is someone that already has the rune set that can test it for me.

Semper Concordia [SC]
Abaddons Mouth

in Ranger

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

A:

Ive tried these, it works, mind you have to be careful as you can easily waste your dodges for opening strike. If we didn’t apply the damage on roll, I’d be all over it, but unfortunately it does.

You can get a free opening strike if the crippling attack proc does not hit any opponents, otherwise it is consumed by the dodge roll. Making it gimmicky to get mileage out of the rune.

One thing you can do is run 5 of these and something like a beryl/ruby orb so that the crippling attack does not consume the opening strike.

Really you only need the opening strike on our big attacks: maul, rapid fire, path of scars etc. Which is pretty easy to manage right now.

Are they better than other runes? They are ok but I think there are better options. The ferocity is good but without the power to back it up its a damage loss. The ability to refresh opening strike is useful, but you shouldn’t be struggling to refresh with furry on swap, & wilderness knowledge.

Ogre or scholar would be better suited for a open strike based build. As you get the power and ferocity. Personally I use pack, as it gives the power boost and a chance to refresh open strike on being hit and rounds out other parts of my build.

Edited for clarity. Jesus I cannot type for the life of me this morning.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

(edited by Eval.2371)

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I’m thinking about which rune set to take for my newish WvW roaming build and came across the Superior Rune of Evasion.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_Evasion

I think it’s rather obvious what I’m thinking about with this rune, it’s basically an additional Fury Source to proc Remorseless. Now there is one thing I’m not sure about. Wiki says that the dodge roll will also proc a cripple attack, which deals a bit of damage.

Now my question: If I dodge roll into an enemy, will this minor bit of damage instantly use up my opening strike that I get from the dodge roll, which would prevent me from actually using the +25% damage part for an attack that can actually use it? Perhaps there is someone that already has the rune set that can test it for me.

I cannot test it, but I think that if you deal damage it will use up the OS. Need to test how large the crippling attack aoe is. It would be better if it just applied cripple on your next attack imo.

Thinking of using Rune of Evasion with Remorseless and LoYF, pretty nice synergy there.

in Ranger

Eirh.1439

One of the reasons I’m asking is that there isn’t really a set order in which effects trigger in GW2 that would allow me to make a prediction. If my pet is stowed and I go to combat, the activation of clarion bond won’t give me an additional opening strike at all. If I switch to a weapon with Sigil of Hydromancy and have the fury on weapon swap trait, I will still have an opening strike, although Sigil of Hydromancy will use the opening strike if I have it before the weapon swap, (which is a really nice synergy).

Perfect Synergy with the ranger traits for the Rune would of course be that the effect is able to trigger Opening Strike, but won’t do it with the Fury you get from the dodge.

Semper Concordia [SC]
Abaddons Mouth

in Ranger

Eirh.1439

Eval, thanks but I don’t think it answers my initial question. Wiki says that the cripple effect of the runes has a small damage part added to it, and I want to know if this damage part will instantly trigger the opening strike you get from the dodge roll. I’d also like to know if it can trigger an opening strike you had before that.

Semper Concordia [SC]
Abaddons Mouth

in Ranger

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

Wow I wish we had this one in sPvP. I really hate this “extra runes” for pve/wvw stuff.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Eval, thanks but I don’t think it answers my initial question. Wiki says that the cripple effect of the runes has a small damage part added to it, and I want to know if this damage part will instantly trigger the opening strike you get from the dodge roll. I’d also like to know if it can trigger an opening strike you had before that.

Same. Does the crippling attack use up the Opening Strike you get from the fury application on the rune?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

Eval, are you saying that based on actually ‘testing’ the effect in the live game? Or making an assumption based on what you think will happen based on previous knowledge?

I’m actually pretty sure that the opposite is true, and if you had OS then these runes would utilise it on the damage from the dodge, creating a critical hitting dodge with cripple and vulnerability. I’m also pretty sure that, as the cripple + damage is described as occurring at the end of the dodge roll, that it would use the Opening Strike that it generated, and not leave you with an Opening Strike to use.

[edit based on subsequent post] lol I guess we’re saying the same thing after all

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

(edited by Kaz.5430)

in Ranger

Eval.2371

Eval, thanks but I don’t think it answers my initial question.

Yes, the cripple attack does use up your opening strike if it hits. However if you roll, while in combat and do not hit the opponent with the cripple proc, it does not consume the opening strike. The damage is roughly an auto attack with opening strike and aoe.

Sorry went out to lunch giving advice based on my own rune trial and error.

Eval, are you saying that based on actually ‘testing’ the effect in the live game?

Yes testing in the live current game.

Edited my OP for clarity.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout

(edited by Eval.2371)

in Ranger

Eirh.1439

Thanks Eval for the testing. I guess I won’t use the Rune in that case.

Semper Concordia [SC]
Abaddons Mouth

in Ranger

Eval.2371

Thanks Eval for the testing. I guess I won’t use the Rune in that case.

There is an option that you could go about using them without the 6th rune. You would get most of the stats and get the mileage I think your looking to get out of the rune.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Yeah, good point. Use 5 evasion runes and 1 divinity!

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

you can also use wurm runes. u get some fero from that and more HP. u should be getting fury from 2 survival utilities, SotP, Clarion Call, and GS attacks. that’s probably the best way to play Remorseless. signets are inefficient IMO

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in Ranger

Posted by: Ambrecombe.4398

Ambrecombe.4398

I personnaly use Runes of Altruism. I can refresh fury every 16sec when I use my shout to heal myself and my pet.

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

I personnaly use Runes of Altruism. I can refresh fury every 16sec when I use my shout to heal myself and my pet.

the only problem here is the healing power would be a bit of a wasted stat. it’s a really nice rune though.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

the only problem here is the healing power would be a bit of a wasted stat. it’s a really nice rune though.

It is not really wasted as healing power scales pretty well with regen and 1:1 with “WHaO”, plus the 3 might for 9s is pretty nice too. For WvW, I’d throw Cleric rings on with the Defender runes or Altruism.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582