Runes of the ranger versus ruby orbs

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

I probably should have asked this before I spent 7g crafting runes of the ranger, but here it is.

Ranger runes or ruby orbs…which adds more overall damage and why?

Ruby orbs add 120 power and 4% crit damage over runes of the ranger, but the runes add 81 precision and a flat +5% damage across the board. If I knew exactly how power translates into damage, it would be easier to figure out, but I don’t.

Going off topic a bit, I also thought about stacking healing power with runes of melandru. But it doesn’t seem appropriate for PvE.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

It doesn’t really matter, the diffrence is going to be tiny but it also depends a little on what your total stats already are before the runes/orbs.

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

It doesn’t really matter, the diffrence is going to be tiny but it also depends a little on what your total stats already are before the runes/orbs.

With the ranger runes: 1866 power, 1700 precision, 73% critical damage. I think those are the only relevant stats in this discussion.

With the orbs: 1986 power, 1619 precision, and 77% critical damage.

Without either: 1866 power, 1535 precision, and 65% critical damage.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

in Ranger

Posted by: jewishjoyride.4693

jewishjoyride.4693

I would recommend using the orbs over the runes. Adding 120 power 4% crit dmg will see you hit harder than the 5% dmg increase from the runes. Plus your pet will die at some point. You should be able to increase your crit chance from other sources as well. Traits, Accessories and Fury as well.

in Ranger

Manekk.6981

With the ranger runes: 1866 power, 1700 precision, 73% critical damage. I think those are the only relevant stats in this discussion.

With the orbs: 1986 power, 1619 precision, and 77% critical damage.

Without either: 1866 power, 1535 precision, and 65% critical damage.

You might aswell count ranger runes as 78% crit damage don’t forget the flat 5% damage on both crits and non crits I would guess that is almost exactly the equal to 120power on the noncrits aswell.

All in all I think orbs will do a tiny bit more damage due to having bigger crits with the extra power but if you already have ranger runes it’s defiently not worth changing them to orbs.

I would recommend using the orbs over the runes. Adding 120 power 4% crit dmg will see you hit harder than the 5% dmg increase from the runes. Plus your pet will die at some point. You should be able to increase your crit chance from other sources as well. Traits, Accessories and Fury as well.

You still retain the 5% damage from having a pet even if it’s dead so ranger runes would be 13% crit dmg, but like I already said the diffrence would be so small it’s not worth changing either over the other.

(edited by Manekk.6981)

in Ranger

Posted by: jewishjoyride.4693

jewishjoyride.4693

Been trying a little math. I used the formulas here http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Damage and here http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Critical_hit. I made the assumption you are attacking using a shortbow with a dmg range of 905-1000, and attacking a target with 2500 armor.

With runes of the ranger, auto attacking a target , based on the stats you mentioned you would do 283.7 to 313.48 on a non crit and 632.65 to 699 on a crit hit.

Using orbs, non crits would be 287.57 to 317.76 and you’d crit for 652.78 to 721.31.

The difference is not huge, but ruby orbs out dps runes of the ranger.

Also, didn’t realize that runes of the ranger still apply bonus when your pet dies.

in Ranger

Manekk.6981

Been trying a little math. I used the formulas here http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Damage and here http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Critical_hit. I made the assumption you are attacking using a shortbow with a dmg range of 905-1000, and attacking a target with 2500 armor.

With runes of the ranger, auto attacking a target , based on the stats you mentioned you would do 283.7 to 313.48 on a non crit and 632.65 to 699 on a crit hit.

Using orbs, non crits would be 287.57 to 317.76 and you’d crit for 652.78 to 721.31.

Also, didn’t realize that runes of the ranger still apply bonus when your pet dies.

And ranger runes will make you crit 2,5% more often making the diffrence even smaller.

I tested this before once with rune of the pack vs rune of the ranger, those runes where a little funny as pack did exactly as much more damage on noncrits as ranger did on crits, just to illistrate:

Pack= noncrit 55 crit 95
Ranger= noncrit 50 crit 100

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

This is precisely the kind of data I was looking for. Thanks!

-BnooMaGoo.5690