S/D Gap-closer

S/D Gap-closer

in Ranger

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

I am currently playing sword/dagger in WvW and finding it a blast. To my mind it is like a thief or rogue, without the cheesiness of stealth.

However, it appears that the Ranger has exactly one gap-closer: the #3 skill on the Greatsword. Consequently I find it very difficult to get close enough to ranged classes to actually use the s/d.

I also have axe/warhorn equipped, which helps with swiftness. I am also using Survival mostly for utilities. But this doesn’t seem to be enough to close the gap.

Any advice on how to get close to ranged classes while using s/d as the main combo?

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

S/D Gap-closer

in Ranger

Posted by: Avathor.1849

Avathor.1849

Using Muddy terrain, cripple from dagger, stun/cripple/kd from pets should be a viable way for closing the gaps.
Using the Jungle Spider that has Entangling Web and Paralyzing Venom is a good choice for you if you want to fight melee agains fleeing opponents.

S/D Gap-closer

in Ranger

Posted by: Adaneshade.2409

Adaneshade.2409

Detargeting, 180 sword 2 then 180 retarget sword 2 again will close quite a gap. Takes a little practice to pull off though.

~Shadowkat

S/D Gap-closer

in Ranger

Posted by: Piedplat.3597

Piedplat.3597

Try playing Greatsword and S/D.

/Piedplat Ranger80/Palissade Guardian80/Mystyphika Mesmer80/ ArmataTenebrae[AT] BG
http://www.armata.ca/

S/D Gap-closer

in Ranger

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

I use Sword+Dagger defensively, or rather when they come to me – and they often do. I use a Shortbow to hit them from afar

I love the Sword and Dagger combo a lot, too. Kudos to you for wanting to main it! Perhaps instead of thinking about a gap closer, you consider a Shortbow (or even a Longbow) as a means of DPS while you close in with a sword.

If they get away, swap back to your Shortbow and hit them from behind. If they’re fleeing, you have a clear shot at the back of their heads and you’ll apply Crossfire’s bleed effect with ease!

Otherwise, Greatsword.

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

S/D Gap-closer

in Ranger

Posted by: Stevens.2791

Stevens.2791

I use shortbow and sword/dagger and I feel like a thief too! Use the Master Wilderness Survival Off-Hand Training trait and that will increase #5 crippling talon to 1200. Combined with shortbot #4 crippling shot, you always have a 1200 range cripple to help close the gap.

But don’t forget we are rangers, use your pet to slow them. Loads of options here. I personally like the Owl, with Malicious Training, its about a 6-8 second chill!

– Son, I’m gonna blow that dumb look right off your stupid face. -

S/D Gap-closer

in Ranger

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

Many thanks for these pointers.

I switched out my pets for the Krytan Drakehound and the Wolf, for the knockbacks and cripples. I also changed out axe/warhorn for shortbow.

So far it’s made a great difference. It’s not a straight gap-closer, but it’s a lot more fun. I can usually approach people with a combination of SB pressure and slows and knocks. The SB helps escape when things go wrong in melee range.

It’s been a blast in WvW.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

S/D Gap-closer

in Ranger

Posted by: Troponin.4081

Troponin.4081

How do you all pull sword off so well? I can’t dodge for crap when using sword due to the chain and it gets me in a heap of trouble.

S/D Gap-closer

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

s/d is a completely defensive setup. 3 evades, that’s all it’s good for. i see no reason to use s/d in wvw. it’s good in bunkering setups and smaller engagements. generally, it goes something like:

offensive power builds: GS, LB
condition: axe/torch, or axe/dagger, + SB
bunkering: GS/S/D

bunkering in wvw is kind of pointless (as is dueling to an extent), therefore s/d is of limited use.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

(edited by nerva.7940)

S/D Gap-closer

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Greatsword is even easier to kite than mainhand sword; what are people thinking? You have the entirely avoidable swoop and a longwinded sword throw that can also be easily dodged.

With the mainhand sword, you get double pounce, plus your autoattack chain keeps you on the target even should they snare you.

S/D Gap-closer

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

hm? GS is a utility weapon used to escaping, negating burst, or finishing someone off. sword…there’s just no reason to equip it unless youre bunkering.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ