Saving Pet Names

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: I AM.2186

I AM.2186

Is this even being looked at? It would be AWESOME not to have to redo my pet names after switching them around. Please put this below the other major issues with Rangers, but it would be nice to know that we can expect a fix/change for this in the near future.

Salvo – Ranger – SoS
Shiver Me Timbers – Elementalist – SoS

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

I just gave up naming my pets because of this problem. I simply change pets too frequently depending on what I’m doing and I can’t be bothered to rename them every time.

Even if it was just Name X for the pet in slot 1 and Name Y for the pet in slot 2 it would be a huge improvement in my book. Ideally I’d like “My raven is named _______” and “My wolf is named ______” etc… so every single pet has a specific name saved for all time. But I understand the database required for that might be a huge waste of time to create and manage.

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: ImagoX.4718

ImagoX.4718

I always name my pets “Gabe” and “Tycho” – short and easy to type (and re-type, and retype, and re-type). that said, I WOULD like to be able to just save the ^%$#@! thing – it’s semi-ludicrous that they haven’t fixed such a BASIC thing. Gah!

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: voidelysium.7285

voidelysium.7285

I’ve also given up on renaming my pets, if anyone is like me and uses the bears with default names and a shortbow, we must just look like bots half the time..

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Bovive.8946

Bovive.8946

I really wondered this myself. Hopefully a feature they will add in soon.

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Copenhagen.1257

Copenhagen.1257

This really should be fixed. I am a Ranger, and I would like to name my pets. It is probably not a big deal for other people, but It is a huge frustration to me.

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Midnight.7526

Midnight.7526

I totally agree. It is very annoying and is detrimental to immersion.

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

I’ve given up on it since beta.

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Anet says it’s a memory space issue. But why can’t the names be stored locally? Storing the names clientside would eliminate that pesky memory issue.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

I gave up on pet names a long, long time ago, as I think most rangers have. I seem to see far more Juvenile Whatevers around than named pets, it’s a shame because it would really do a lot for roleplay and flavor. I’d rather be able to permanently name the original pet I rolled with only, than lose all pet names each time I swap them out of the rotation.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Avandor.5743

Avandor.5743

Gave up renaming them… pointless.
<sigh>

80 Human Druid of Piken
Stomp for Píken [PS]

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Renagade.2918

Renagade.2918

Been around since Beta 1… these are the small things that should of been fixed pre-release… Its a tedious thing that just makes the game look rushed…

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: aPutridCorpse.8792

aPutridCorpse.8792

Anet says it’s a memory space issue.

seriously?

seems they sure have a lot of memory for everything else they are adding…

Level 80 Asura Ranger
Level 30 Human Guardian

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Pendleton.6385

Pendleton.6385

Been around since Beta 1… these are the small things that should of been fixed pre-release… Its a tedious thing that just makes the game look rushed…

/agree

Tarnished Coast
~ Ranger

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

Anet says it’s a memory space issue.

seriously?

seems they sure have a lot of memory for everything else they are adding…

Yup, they said it’s not something they will be looking into changing anytime soon. I did some math on about how much space it would use if every ranger used the full 19 characters for all their pet names. I would be able to store all the data in a MySQL table that would fit on a 4gig USB thumb stick.

I’m pretty sure I bought enough gems (sad to admit) from them that would buy then a hard drive.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Pendleton.6385

Pendleton.6385

I would even settle for one name that was assigned to all my pets.

Tarnished Coast
~ Ranger

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Kallan.4593

Kallan.4593

ArenaNet, when are you going to fix the issue with saved pet names?

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Shox.4936

Shox.4936

I agree. This should have been in the game since the start.

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Reganov.3569

Reganov.3569

One thing you can do at the moment ; Is select the pets in the water slots, name them there- so whenever you switch your pets to something else situationally, the name will always be remembered due to the fact that it is sitting in the water slots.

In saying that, we shouldn’t need to do this. I would very much like this fixed.

Wolfred Darkwater – Fort Aspenwood

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Rustypipes.6238

Rustypipes.6238

I just name all my pets “Dog”

Until they fix it anyway.

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: PsionicDingo.2065

PsionicDingo.2065

I’m curious how other MMOs make do if it’s such a memory issue.

My psychic knife. The focused totality of my psychic powers.

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Copenhagen.1257

This would work, this could easily be done I would think.

Something simple that would make a lot of Rangers Happier. Not too much to ask I don’t think.

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: KittiiPaws.3079

KittiiPaws.3079

I don’t like it walking around with a pet that’s called ‘Juvenile…’. But renaming every time you switch is kinda getting annoying.
Like Pendleton.6385 says, I would settle for one general name for all the pets. As long as they’re not called Juvenile … .

- Meow -

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Daemon.4295

This would work, this could easily be done I would think.

Something simple that would make a lot of Rangers Happier. Not too much to ask I don’t think.

I’d rather have 1 or 2 names only, for my favorite pets. I wish they would at least let me name the pet I was born with, it’s awful seeing “Juvenile Fern Hound” on my lifelong companion

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Peacenote.1698

Peacenote.1698

I really, really want to see this fixed. It honestly just takes the fun out of playing with the Ranger when pets don’t retain their names. At first it was exciting to go out into the world, discover pets, and name them. But to have to keep renaming them so they don’t say “Juvenile…” is SO frustrating. And what’s the point of having lots of different pets if you don’t try them out? But I don’t want to rename every time I change.

I also think it is doubly annoying because tamed pets of other rangers have the same default names as untamed pets. You see “Juvenile XYZ” and think “oh! I don’t have that yet” only to realize it is actually someone’s pet already.

I would be happy with a solution where pet names were saved locally on your computer (which could address the memory problem). I would be happy if you could have one pet name per type (spider, cat, etc.) or even just one or two permanent names per slot as other people have said. Storing each individual pet name would make me happiest, obviously, but anything that improves the current situation would be welcomed with cheers and thanks by me.

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Wanderer.5471

Wanderer.5471

what more is there to say? are there even people working on this game? this issue must be on someone’s to-do list, they don’t have 5 minutes to fix it?? And if they genuinely don’t, hire an intern…

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Bailey.6892

Bailey.6892

Yes this is annoying for sure, would be nice of they could get this coded right.

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Beardmonger.4692

Beardmonger.4692

I also don’t bother renaming anymore. Just another aspect of pets causing me to have no emotional or meaningful attachment to them whatsoever.

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Some people rename on every event… I love my pets but having rheumatoid arthritis, I just can’t add my pets names every time I go from spvp to pve to wvw.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

It’s kinda absurd this bug hasn’t been fixed yet, I really thought this is the kind of thing that would be ironed out in the first few months.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Bailey.6892

Bailey.6892

Rename them waiting for anet code or something.

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Daemon.4295

I think they mentioned at some point that it had something to do with memory management? My understanding is that this feature was deliberately omitted, but I might be wrong about that. It would be nice if they could work out some form of solution anyway, heck I’d even pay gems for a permanent pet name. I’d also pay gems for a petting animation on idle, anything to build some sense of attachment to my pets.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: kaltastic.3146

kaltastic.3146

The weird things is that the very first pet I ever named has its name perma-bound. I can store off of my pet swaps for a month and when I add it back the name comes with it.

We share apocalyptic views, how comforting that we see it too.

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: angan.6572

angan.6572

i would be happy if they just kept the same name for all to be honest…

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

The weird things is that the very first pet I ever named has its name perma-bound. I can store off of my pet swaps for a month and when I add it back the name comes with it.

Is said pet by any chance an Amphibious pet which you have set permanently into one of your water slots?

Keeping the same pet in either land or water spots allows the pet to retain its name while switching in the other section. So for example, I can place my Ice Drake into the land and water spot, name it, swap it completely out on land, then come back and it’ll keep its name because said name is still being stored through him being active in one of my water slots.

Saving Pet Names

in Ranger

Copenhagen.1257

Is, or has there not been any word on this from Anet?
It would be nice to get some sort of response to this, as (In my opinion) this is a fairly huge “Polish” flaw.

At the very least Rangers should be able to set a name, and permanently save it to the Pet Slots. I.E.,
Pet Slot 1: Jake
Pet Slot 2: Spot