Seriously...it's getting really annoying when...

in Ranger

Posted by: Sco.9615

Sco.9615

Rage [On]
Put up with this long enough…I’m 2 feet above my target and this kicks in… I understand with WHY it was introduced even if I do not agree with it all but I’m seriously about to kill a fluffy baby kitten. Was this even tested? It’s 100x too sensitive and I’m really (insert profanity here) annoyed with it now. Take it out or fix it. Actually bother to test your crap next time. I know you guys are super busy with all of that new content and finding creative ways to avoid publishing a Ranger update but please, stop screwing us over. Thank you.

Attachments:

Communication is the greatest gift the world of today can offer us.
So why do we choose to ignore it?

(edited by Sco.9615)

in Ranger

Posted by: rubmywontons.3972

rubmywontons.3972

“I know you guys are super busy with all of that new content and finding creative ways to avoid publishing a Ranger update but please, stop screwing us over.” x10 x many orders of magnitude.

(edited by rubmywontons.3972)

in Ranger

Sco.9615

Oh… and here’s another one of a few seconds later just to really drive home my point.
(Insert desk flip emoticon here)
^.^

Attachments:

in Ranger

rubmywontons.3972

It’s a pain shared by many.

in Ranger

Sco.9615

Yeah it is…. and here happens to be another but only a few min after that! : D

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Yup unbelievable, Rangers are not allowed to gain an advantage by using the terrain, if you can call standing on a rock an “advantage”.

If I remember rightly, being higher in GW1 gained a Ranger extra damage, I always used that to my advantage.

It’s just stupid.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Ranger

rubmywontons.3972

Well I’m gonna go ahead and quote:

“Poof! Someone called and I am here. We made some ranger changes this patch, but had to go back on them because of risk factor. There are some bugs being fixed and quality of life improvements coming in the next patch, as well as some other significant ranger improvements. I would Literally tell you but I think it would be considered a bit of a spoiler so you will have to be patient.
While we work hard to keep updates going on all professions, not very build us going to contain fixes for everyone due to the nature of software development. One problem with rangers is the lack of build diversity created by a number of sub par utility skills. Many signets, a shout or two, and spirits are all a bit lackluster. That is the first place to expect improvements. Second is trying to improve the feel/ pacing on some weapons.
Ok I can’t type more with tiny phone finger keypad. See you in game!
Jon”

Fingers crossed, my ranger brethren.

in Ranger

Posted by: gadenp.7586

gadenp.7586

@ rubmywon…
That was posted 3 weeks to a month ago.

Anyways, Rangers have even more issues now, with the new Ascended Gear. Compared to others, we will have less chances to get Ascended Gear as people now do not like to play with rangers due to the issues we have.

in Ranger

rubmywontons.3972

@ rubmywon…

Anyways, Rangers have even more issues now, with the new Ascended Gear. Compared to others, we will have less chances to get Ascended Gear as people now do not like to play with rangers due to the issues we have.

:( Good thing I have guild pals to run with, I s’pose.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aethersong.5189

Aethersong.5189

@ rubmywon…

:( Good thing I have guild pals to run with, I s’pose.

I saw people calling out “No Rangers” for dungeon runs today…

Back on topic, however. I also have experienced this problem multiple times. It is really annoying. Also, the fact that one can’t even use terrain to one’s advantage is aggravating. Oh, you want to try attacking from that rock. Well, the enemy is now invulnerable. Congrats!

in Ranger

Sco.9615

Another one. Just for lawls at this point. I really don’t know why I even use a bow.. I think it’s for the aesthetics… I don’t think they have another purpose…

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Glektor.2934

Glektor.2934

Yup unbelievable, Rangers are not allowed to gain an advantage by using the terrain, if you can call standing on a rock an “advantage”.

If I remember rightly, being higher in GW1 gained a Ranger extra damage, I always used that to my advantage.

It’s just stupid.

You know, I don’t understand why they don’t use the good features they had in GW1. You would think they’d take advantage of their own game features….

It sure would be nice to have a terrain advantage… but given the way arrows don’t even work on nearly level ground half the time, I’m not sure if it wouldn’t just produce more mechanical issues than we already have, at this point. Rangers having the longest range traited, combined with terrain/elevation bonuses would make archery feel like it had a purpose for sure.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rthen.5970

Rthen.5970

Honestly, I would not hold out much hope. Many of us are still playing because there are no really decent alternatives. I’m working on my elementalist alt a little and trying to finish my personal story on my Ranger in between the very infrequent dungeon groups, half of which are abysmal failures due to general balance issues and requiring better gear then you will get from the dungeon to complete.

Maybe I will be wrong and once patch day is done I will be happy with the Ranger changes. Being an MMO player for the last 13 years I doubt it though.

Rthen
80 Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Himei.5379

Himei.5379

Yup, very annoying. Just last night, was taking on a champion solo, got it to 1/2 HP when I walked backward onto a ramp…“INVULNERABLE” pops up then it proceeds to heal back to Full HP. WTF!?

in Ranger

Posted by: DaisyRogers.6837

DaisyRogers.6837

Ranger Spear does it all the time under water. really annoying when Champs reset to full after you spent the last 5 minutes whittling them down two 1/4-1/2 health.

Really sad since you are literally swimming right in front of their face.

in Ranger

Sco.9615

Yeah, that happened to me earlier before I started taking mass SSs of it happening.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

It’s just stupid.

Dude that was one of the best features of bows in gw1. I loved doing that in pve and pve, and when you sniped a target, they didnt become invulnerable, they ran at you. They need to remove this feature.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chesire.9043

Chesire.9043

I picked Necro back up today and have started to learn the basic ins and outs of the class. I’m not sure I have the brain capacity to play a good Ele but I have one of those on standby as well.

If Nov 15 patch doesn’t give Rangers any justice, I’ll just level my Necro to 80 and try to enjoy some WvW that way. As it stands, my Ranger makes me feel very useless in WvW. I think the issue is, with WvW, you pretty much need to go glass cannon to notice any singular contribution to defense/sieges. I know I went with power/tough/vit build and feel like I’m smacking people with wet noodles.

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Yea the invulnerable thing is annoying but the phantom obstruction bug is worse, its so annoying using skills tactically only to see your best attack get obstructed. Happens on my rifle warrior and ranger all the time. So frustrating.

in Ranger

Sco.9615

best attack

Made me giggle when I saw this used in the same sentence as Ranger…
You mean Auto Attack?

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

best attack

You mean Auto Attack?

Nope, depending on the situation that can include rapid fire or point blank, but was more or less refering to warrior, kill shot and all. I honestly think rangers best attack for each weapon tends to be the one with CC involved, GS is hiltbash or counter attack, LB is pointblank, SB is conc shot or crip shot, sword is serpent strike or number 2 chain, axe is the chill, or ricochet. Ect… That post just made me sad btw.

in Ranger

Sco.9615

best attack

You mean Auto Attack?

Nope, depending on the situation that can include rapid fire or point blank, but was more or less refering to warrior, kill shot and all. I honestly think rangers best attack for each weapon tends to be the one with CC involved, GS is hiltbash or counter attack, LB is pointblank, SB is conc shot or crip shot, sword is serpent strike or number 2 chain, axe is the chill, or ricochet. Ect… That post just made me sad btw.

LB auto attack is the strongest hitting skill it has sadly. I knew u meant the Warrior but I had to lol when I saw Ranger in the sentence.

in Ranger

Posted by: Parvati.5780

Parvati.5780

There’s no real use to the ranged skills of the ranger when slight/major height differences exist between you and your target. They will almost always go invulnerable forcing you to run in like a warrior and whamdo it in close proximity :/

And if being on ranger stresses/angers/saddens you play one of your level 80 alt(s) some, make one if you have to. I did, now I see less of the ranger flaws because I play it less (more balanced spread of play time between two characters) and generally I’m happier for it. I really hope the 15th patch changes a lot of things for the better

in Ranger

Posted by: ImagoX.4718

ImagoX.4718

Given the heavily-advertised “extreme verticality” of the upcoming dungeon, I can only shudder… Will I even be able to ATTACK???

in Ranger

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

I don’t think the invulnerable thing is just rangers… I’ve gotten them on my guardian, pretty easily reproducible using sword skill 2 on certain mobs. Might be different (albeit related issues), since apparently the npcs will attempt to readjust their position after I teleport in.

Edit: ok just looked at ALL the screen shots… not even a vertical or boundary problem on that last one. that’s. pretty. bad. -_-

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

best attack

You mean Auto Attack?

LB auto attack is the strongest hitting skill it has sadly. I knew u meant the Warrior but I had to lol when I saw Ranger in the sentence.

Yea, well hopefully anet will change this. Longbow is the only reason I play ranger, I want a archer/sniper, if they dont touch longbow I might just play rifle warrior. I was on him alot today and each have their ups and downs but warrior rifle is delicious, and feels like a real sniper.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jubei.5923

Jubei.5923

Rage [On]
I know you guys are super busy with all of that new content and finding creative ways to avoid publishing a Ranger update but please, stop screwing us over. Thank you.

I lol’d. I honestly can’t comprehend how severely overlooked the Ranger class was before the official release of this game. I understand MMO’s aren’t perfect in the early days of release and several aspects will need to be adjusted/balanced over time, but I never expected any class to be this troublesome and broken to this extent at any point of a game’s lifecycle. I was a massive fan of GW1 and clocked 5000 hours on my ranger there, I’m really unsure as to how things became so clouded and off-track with the Ranger class in GW2. I honestly think, as a whole, this game is great. It’s just really unfortunate that it required me to level another character to 80 to appreciate the game more and that I, as well as other passionate rangers, must inevitably wait for a patch that isn’t guaranteed to resolve our plethora of issues.

In saying all that, if any developers or moderators are reading this, I don’t mean to whine . I’m happy to reluctantly wait and be patient if you continue to improve the Ranger class – not just with the coming update, but with future updates to come. I don’t expect you to fix ALL of our problems in one patch, and no one else should either.

No animals were harmed during the typing of this post.

in Ranger

Posted by: bullyrook.2165

bullyrook.2165

Last I checked, high ground is invaluable on a battlefield. Taking away the ranger’s RANGE nearly makes him a misnomer. Its like making a thief that wears clogs, a warrior with a wooden sword, or an engineer who’s “grenades” are dirt clods. It just make no sense.

in Ranger

ImagoX.4718

Well I understand that they did it because there are lots of situations where a computer-controlled mob can’t figure out how to path its way up to you to respond to an attack, but if you’re ALSO at the same time designing content that SPECIFICALLY RELIES on vertical structures and jumping puzzles, well… that’s a HUGE issue. You can’t have it both ways – either fix the pathing and allow Rangers to shoot downwards in all circumstances, or stop designing content that specifically relies on terrain which is BY DESIGN not intended to be scalable by characters OR NPC mobs. One or the other. guys!

in Ranger

Posted by: Seod.7924

Seod.7924

While i understand why anet have installed a system like this, however, by doing so, it really removes the tactics of some professions.

Just because the monster can’t reach you, they become invulnerable. Wow, really?
I really don’t mind the invulnerable on bosses/champions but on regular thrash, that’s just crap.

They could fix this by doing one of these options
1. Code the mobs so that if they can’t reach you, then they run away.
2. If you kill a monster from a higher ground (where the monster would normally be invulnerable), there’s a big penalty to your loot/xp % gain.

in Ranger

Solid Gold.9310

2. If you kill a monster from a higher ground (where the monster would normally be invulnerable), there’s a big penalty to your loot/xp % gain.

1. Yeah that’s fair enough.

2. Why reduce loot/xp gain when you’ve used strategy and a bit of common sense to gain an advantage. (They used their “brain”, lets cut down their reward for doing that).

in Ranger

Posted by: Rancor Chiron.6178

Rancor Chiron.6178

While i understand why anet have installed a system like this, however, by doing so, it really removes the tactics of some professions.

Just because the monster can’t reach you, they become invulnerable. Wow, really?
I really don’t mind the invulnerable on bosses/champions but on regular thrash, that’s just crap.

Or at least give all melee mobs a “Throw Rock” skill that is only used in these situations.

in Ranger

Posted by: awe extender.1908

awe extender.1908

+1
I also wish to show my despair and disappointment on this matter. Anet, at least let us use some tactical positioning to make the ranger a little less incompetent. Using our brains to make tactical positioning would make this game more fun and challenging for the rangers. It also gives a more realistic touch to the game. Let our ranged weapons BE ranged!!!

BTW, anyone experienced getting “INVULNERABLE” but at the same time being hit by foe ranged attack?

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

It’s just stupid.

Dude that was one of the best features of bows in gw1. I loved doing that in pve and pve, and when you sniped a target, they didnt become invulnerable, they ran at you. They need to remove this feature.

you have to remember though, in GW1 there was no jumping, so there was NO WAY a mob could NOT get to you, because of this they were able to make it so they never went invulnerable, where in GW2 if the AI registers that it can’t “get to you” they become invulnerable TO YOU.

That being said it’s bugged a lot, and i’ll just be standing on a kittening platform next to a mob, walk forward increasing my terrain slightly and all of a sudden that MASSIVE BOULDER OF A MOLE HILL is to much for the champion or w/e mob to get up so i can’t hurt them anymore (keep in mind i use a great sword so it’s not -just- range), thank god that pets share a similar pathing as enemies though, that way my pet can always do damage and keep them in combat so long as he’s alive (and for me that’s a vast majority of the time)

That being said though… i do want them to take out the stupid invulnerability system… i think they should reward smart use of terrain, not punish us because we were able to get somewhere a mob can’t.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

I was at the same spot as the OP and felt the same—-a couple of feet away but above—and can’t hit. It was at that point that I finally put my lvl 80 ranger away and rerolled. (Likely the same issue when arise with my guardian’s ranged weapons though)The thing that really got me thinking about this mess was when I was walking by a cliff and enemy archers had no problem raining their death on me. The only thing I could think of was if the positions were exchanged, the ‘invunerable’ would be lighting up the screen.
That being said they haven’t addressed the issue when they go invunerable for absolutely no reason in wide open, direct battle areas, especially underwater.

(edited by Blude.6812)

in Ranger

Posted by: Zen.2450

Zen.2450

I was playing my necro yesterday with my double dagger set, melee a enemy when suddenly they got invulnerable because they happened to be on a slight incline compared to me (a hill). Yeah….. AN this “feature” has to go. :/

in Ranger

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

They don’t want players to kill NPCs when said NPCs have no chance of attacking back due to not being able to get onto the ledge the player is standing on. If you attack from high ground an enemy can actually get to (EG attack from the top of a ramp) then you’ll usually hit just fine.

While I don’t nessicarily agree with that stance (I’d personally say they should only let champions get invulnerability like this due to the fact that soloing champions just by standing on a rock would be cheap as heck, anything less than a champ is soloable anyway so who cares if you cheese it by standing on a cliff or something) I can see the reasoning behind it.

Its definately not a Ranger-specific issue. Its a game mechanic, not a Ranger mechanic, every profession and every ranged attack (even turrets and pets) are subject to it.

There are some oddities with the mechanic, like as someone mentioned occassionally even a slight hill will cause invulnerable to start popping up. But those aren’t too bad in my experience. My only real problem with it is the delay. The game can detect you’re on a ledge and set enemies to “Immune” after just 1-2 shots, and yet once you get off the ledge it takes 10+ seconds to realize you’re in a perfectly legit spot and turn it off again. Maybe they want to make sure the enemy recovers its health before making it vulnerable again to prevent you from doing damage, jumping off the rock to disable invuln, then jumping back on and doing more damage, but the amount of damage you can do in a couple shots really doesn’t support that sort of strategy anyway. So the delay just feels unessicary and annoying.

in Ranger

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

That would be fair. Except on that second one, it must be an exp penalty.

Don’t take away the loot. That’s mean. I would prefer a better solution, but that would be a nice quick fix in the mean time. Assuming it were that easy.

in Ranger

Solid Gold.9310

“you have to remember though, in GW1 there was no jumping, so there was NO WAY a mob could NOT get to you”

It’s still stupid, I’m clever enough to use the terrain, it’s what Rangers do right.

It’s not my fault the mobs are too thick to jump.

Not only that, it happens all the time, or it’s the old obstructed by a blade of grass.

And while this goes on, I’m the one getting my face ripped off, come on, this ain’t right however you might try to justify it !

(edited by Solid Gold.9310)

in Ranger

ImagoX.4718

Having the mob run away would work, sure. Making it Invulnerable just seems… lazy. PLus most of the time WHO CARES? Anything really tough (like a Veteran-level mob or a DE boss) where a player might want to use this as an exploit generally has access to AOEs or ranged attacks that can effectively neutralize any potential advantage…

in Ranger

Posted by: Zoia.3678

Zoia.3678

This has often happened to me under water as well, on my ele and guardian. I’ve been swimming in circles around the mob while fighting it, then suddenly it decides to go invulnerable, swim 2 feet away and heal…

in Ranger

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

Don’t forget being obstructed when you’re 2 feet away from the enemy when there’s no obstacle in your way.

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

It’s just stupid.

you have to remember though, in GW1 there was no jumping, so there was NO WAY a mob could NOT get to you, because of this they were able to make it so they never went invulnerable, where in GW2 if the AI registers that it can’t “get to you” they become invulnerable TO YOU.

That being said it’s bugged a lot, and i’ll just be standing on a kittening platform next to a mob, walk forward increasing my terrain slightly and all of a sudden that MASSIVE BOULDER OF A MOLE HILL is to much for the champion or w/e mob to get up so i can’t hurt them anymore (keep in mind i use a great sword so it’s not -just- range), thank god that pets share a similar pathing as enemies though, that way my pet can always do damage and keep them in combat so long as he’s alive (and for me that’s a vast majority of the time)

That being said though… i do want them to take out the stupid invulnerability system… i think they should reward smart use of terrain, not punish us because we were able to get somewhere a mob can’t.

Yes but even with them not being able to get to me, I shouldnt be penalized for playing smart. Its better to have a system where people can get in good position to not get hit and still be able to kill their target. Not penalized for it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

Just did Arah and all quests leading to it.
I think, more than 50% of my short bow arrows were Out of range, Obstructed or Invulnerable.
Switched to Long Bow, a little better but still ….
And all this being right next to the mob, face to face and without anything in between us (not taking into consideration other players and their pets. Or should I?)

Wondering, melee has this problems also? I ask because the Ranger is my only char.
Did not play any other char

in Ranger

Sco.9615

Btw, here’s a clip of the effect underwater ^.^

<3

Attachments:

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Just did Arah and all quests leading to it.
I think, more than 50% of my short bow arrows were Out of range, Obstructed or Invulnerable.
Switched to Long Bow, a little better but still ….
And all this being right next to the mob, face to face and without anything in between us (not taking into consideration other players and their pets. Or should I?)

Wondering, melee has this problems also? I ask because the Ranger is my only char.
Did not play any other char

No melee doesnt have this issue. Except on burrows which bug out for everyone.

in Ranger

Sco.9615

Oh! Don’t forget harpoon either!

Seriously…gtfo…

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Jeheil.2516

Jeheil.2516

Tis time for the 49th post

Jeheil, IoJ, [uA] – Defender of Gazza’s watergate