Shared Anquish+Hide in Plain Sight?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Since we got more into stealth in this patch, do you think there’s a chance we’ll see these two traits (Shared Anquish and Hide in Plain Sight) being combined into one, to further improve the stealth mechanic for the Ranger, and allow for better trait building?

Right now Hide in Plain Sight seems kinda useless, without Shared Anquish, as the trait gives you stealth, but doesn’t remove the stun. So if you want to take advantage of Remorseless, you are forced to take both stun removal traits. And if you just need a stun remover, Shared Anquish will always be the better choice.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Kasama.8941

No one wants to see this change?

“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Posted by: Saderic.2961

Saderic.2961

I was actually just about to make a thread saying this exact thing. I’d like to see more support for remorseless. I feel this may be the best way to differentiate a ranger from a warrior without requiring a major class overhaul. I still think pets need work, but if we had your suggested change and maybe a stealth or better yet a way to put down a Smoke Field ranger would be in a much better spot.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I don’t like that. If my pet’s dead, HIPS doesn’t proc. That’s the drawback to shared anguish. Don’t tie that in with HIPS. Just my thoughts.

Also, shared anguish isn’t always the best option, for example, liadri (pet’s dead so it doesn’t do anything useful). Shared anguish is also on a long CD, you can get in almost 3 LR’s in 90s with wilderness knowledge instead. The only benefit to shared anguish is that by transferring it to your pet, the stun never applies to you in the first place.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

(edited by Chopps.5047)

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

I was actually just about to make a thread saying this exact thing. I’d like to see more support for remorseless. I feel this may be the best way to differentiate a ranger from a warrior without requiring a major class overhaul. I still think pets need work, but if we had your suggested change and maybe a stealth or better yet a way to put down a Smoke Field ranger would be in a much better spot.

Access to smoke field is much better.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

The biggest benefit to Shared Anguish is that it helps builds that need or benefit from 3 utility slots, by still allowing them access to a stun breaker. By combining the traits, it might shift the slot up, and it would make current builds less viable because there are already lots of useful traits in wilderness survivals second tier, and more sacrifices would have to be made than what current builds have to make.

I’d also prefer not to have Remorseless be a focus across so many skill trees. It’s nice that Marksmanship takes a heavy focus on the longbow, but making even more traits in different trees dedicated to that one mechanic is imo the wrong way to shift the class.

If anything, a nice vulnerability on crit trait in skirmishing would be nice, to help compliment other weaponsets in power builds, while buffering the ability to keep vulnerability up with remorseless even more.

But that’s just me. Sorry if I trailed off there. A smoke field would be nice too, but the first thing I’d like to see is more traits in Skirmishing being aimed at benefiting direct damage builds.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Would be bad for tpvp. We want shared anguish but not hide in plain sight since we cannot hold a point capped while invis.

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

So you guys don’t mind the huge problem that a dead pet means no shared anguish? That means there’s many instances where HIPS does not actually activate if you combine it with shared anguish. You know your pet that’s always dead? Exactly. It won’t work.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Would be great and since ranger traits need an overhaul this is a great start since everyone use SA

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Ranger

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Does moving still takes you out of stealth from hide in plain site?

in Ranger

Kasama.8941

I don’t like that. If my pet’s dead, HIPS doesn’t proc. That’s the drawback to shared anguish. Don’t tie that in with HIPS. Just my thoughts.

Also, shared anguish isn’t always the best option, for example, liadri (pet’s dead so it doesn’t do anything useful). Shared anguish is also on a long CD, you can get in almost 3 LR’s in 90s with wilderness knowledge instead. The only benefit to shared anguish is that by transferring it to your pet, the stun never applies to you in the first place.

You are just pointing out their differences here. The point is, that Hide in Plain Sight is just not useful on its own, simply because it doesn’t remove the disable, and doesn’t prevent fear either. So while it might seem like Hide in Plain Sight has it uses on paper, playing the game with it is a different matter.

The biggest benefit to Shared Anguish is that it helps builds that need or benefit from 3 utility slots, by still allowing them access to a stun breaker. By combining the traits, it might shift the slot up, and it would make current builds less viable because there are already lots of useful traits in wilderness survivals second tier, and more sacrifices would have to be made than what current builds have to make.

I’d also prefer not to have Remorseless be a focus across so many skill trees. It’s nice that Marksmanship takes a heavy focus on the longbow, but making even more traits in different trees dedicated to that one mechanic is imo the wrong way to shift the class.

If anything, a nice vulnerability on crit trait in skirmishing would be nice, to help compliment other weaponsets in power builds, while buffering the ability to keep vulnerability up with remorseless even more.

But that’s just me. Sorry if I trailed off there. A smoke field would be nice too, but the first thing I’d like to see is more traits in Skirmishing being aimed at benefiting direct damage builds.

The fact that it might shift up a slot, would be my worry as well. But you can argue about how good these traits really are on their own. Shared Anquish has a 90 second recharge time, which is extremely long, and only works if your pet is alive. Hide in Plain Sight doesn’t seem like it’s a master trait at all, as it doesn’t actually remove the disable, or prevent fear (which is a big deal now that Necromancers have become popular again). So the basic question really is; would adding stealth in top of Shared Anquish make it too good of an adept trait? Personally, I don’t think it would.

No one is talking about creating any new traits here. We are just talking about merging two traits, to make one trait that is overall more useful for everyone.

Would be bad for tpvp. We want shared anguish but not hide in plain sight since we cannot hold a point capped while invis.

That is a good point. But all you would have to do, to remove the stealth, is attack the foe who just disabled you. I don’t think it would be a problem.

So you guys don’t mind the huge problem that a dead pet means no shared anguish? That means there’s many instances where HIPS does not actually activate if you combine it with shared anguish. You know your pet that’s always dead? Exactly. It won’t work.

Well you would still get the stealth, I imagine, seeing as the stealth is tied to the disable, and not to your pet. So if the pet is dead, you get the disable on you, and you still gain the stealth.

Does moving still takes you out of stealth from hide in plain site?

No it does not. Only attacking and hitting a foe will remove the stealth.

-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

@ Kasama. It already is a problem which is why most rangers do not take HIPS.

in Ranger

Kasama.8941

@ Kasama. It already is a problem which is why most rangers do not take HIPS.

I think that’s because Hide in Plain Sight doesn’t remove the disable. So when you get stunned, you’re stuck in stealth for at least 1 second, and then you still have to hit your opponent to get out of the stealth. But if the disable was removed instantly, you would be able to hit your opponent back right away, without wasting any seconds.

-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

I just use a stun break with HiPS. For example, you won’t see me running longbow/remoresless/valkryie stealth without HiPs and traited lightening reflexes (3 stun breaks in the time shared anguish gives you 1 basically)

There are much weaker traits to focus on than hips/shared anguish, don’t you agree?

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Am I the only one that finds Hide in Plain Sight underwhelming? I’d much rather see it reworked than have a stealth melded into a very strong PvP option (Shared Anguish).

Hide in Plain Sight is useful in other content though, particularly WvW, but I wouldn’t be opposed to having some options reworked into more condi damage improvement or condi removal.

How about this, instead of the merge, Hide in Plain Sight becomes: Stealth when you are immobilized(30 second cooldown). Remove 2 conditions whenever you enter stealth (10 second cooldown).

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarision.6347

Sarision.6347

No you’re not alone Jay, I don’t even see the point of HiPS as it is right now.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fordel.3208

Fordel.3208

How about this, instead of the merge, Hide in Plain Sight becomes: Stealth when you are immobilized(30 second cooldown). Remove 2 conditions whenever you enter stealth (10 second cooldown).

I would not cry if they did this.

in Ranger

Kasama.8941

I just use a stun break with HiPS. For example, you won’t see me running longbow/remoresless/valkryie stealth without HiPs and traited lightening reflexes (3 stun breaks in the time shared anguish gives you 1 basically)

There are much weaker traits to focus on than hips/shared anguish, don’t you agree?

But Hide in Plain Sight isn’t a stun breaker, it’s just a stealth trigger. So you still only have one stun breaker. And if the damage from Lightning Reflexes hits, you also lose the stealth.

Honestly, the whole Ranger trait tree still needs an overhaul. But I don’t think it’s that difficult to remove Hide in Plain Sight, and then add stealth on top of Shared Anquish. It would also make room for a new master trait.

Am I the only one that finds Hide in Plain Sight underwhelming? I’d much rather see it reworked than have a stealth melded into a very strong PvP option (Shared Anguish).

Hide in Plain Sight is useful in other content though, particularly WvW, but I wouldn’t be opposed to having some options reworked into more condi damage improvement or condi removal.

I made this topic because both these traits are underwhelming..

How is Shared Anquish very strong? It’s has a 90 second recharge time, meaning you probably aren’t going to use it more then once in a fight. And on top of that, it only works if your pet is alive. So if your pet is dead, it’s just a wasted trait.

Stealth is not really useful in WvW, unless it allows you to move. The majority of players have found out that stealth doesn’t mean “invulnerable”, and will therefor keep swinging in the air, or place down AoE, whenever someone goes into stealth. And since Hide in Plain Sight doesn’t remove the disable, you are still very vulnerable. Especially against a zerg.

Well, if Hide in Plain Sight and Shared Anquish were to be merged, there would be room for a new master trait, which could be more condition removal.

-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Shared Anguish is strong because of PvP. For 10 points, you get a free stunbreaker, and in PvP, you’re pet really isn’t dead all that often, even with 0 investment into its survival. 90s is a fair tradeoff for being able to go into fights without having to use a utility slot on any of our even more underwhelming stun breakers (especially Signet of Renewal, which is much better used as a cleanse then a stun breaker).

Obviously the bigger a fight gets, the more likely the pet is to die, so the less useful SA becomes because of the need for more stunbreakers and a dead pet. But there isn’t any other class in the game, at least I don’t think there is and I don’t feel like checking, that gets a free stun breaker for 10 points.

Is it fair that it’s only strong in PvP? Well, yes and no. Yes because it’s hard to balance it across all game types, but not because ideally, in each trait slot option, there should be strong options for every game mode, and Shared Anguish is taking up a slot that could potentially be made more useful for other game content.

in Ranger

Kasama.8941

Shared Anguish is strong because of PvP. For 10 points, you get a free stunbreaker, and in PvP, you’re pet really isn’t dead all that often, even with 0 investment into its survival. 90s is a fair tradeoff for being able to go into fights without having to use a utility slot on any of our even more underwhelming stun breakers (especially Signet of Renewal, which is much better used as a cleanse then a stun breaker).

Obviously the bigger a fight gets, the more likely the pet is to die, so the less useful SA becomes because of the need for more stunbreakers and a dead pet. But there isn’t any other class in the game, at least I don’t think there is and I don’t feel like checking, that gets a free stun breaker for 10 points.

Is it fair that it’s only strong in PvP? Well, yes and no. Yes because it’s hard to balance it across all game types, but not because ideally, in each trait slot option, there should be strong options for every game mode, and Shared Anguish is taking up a slot that could potentially be made more useful for other game content.

Considering the Ranger has some underwhelming stun breakers, and is suppose to be one of the most evasive professions in the game, I don’t think combining these two traits would make for too strong an adept trait.

The Engineer has a adept trait which gives 3 seconds of protection on disabled, and only with a 5 second recharge time. The Guardian also has an adept trait that gives 3 seconds of retaliation on disable, with a 30 second recharge time.

While Shared Anquish is nice in sPvP, it doesn’t really work that well in PvE or WvW, where your pet can be dead quite a lot. But if these two traits where combined, it would work both when your pet was dead and alive. If your pet is alive, you would get Shared Aquish’s effect with stealth on top, and if your pet was dead, you would get Hide in Plain Sight’s effect (you get stunned instead of the pet, but you still get the stealth). It would make for a trait that is overall more useful, and make room for a new master trait as well.

-Alexander Pope