Sharpening Stones vs "Sic 'Em"

in Ranger

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

For a longbow ranger traited 30/20/0/0/20, would you guys recommend Sharpening Stone or “Sic ’Em” for a higher burst of damage against veteran (and above) mobs in PvE? Thanks.

in Ranger

Posted by: StoneWolf.7930

StoneWolf.7930

Sic em will be better if you use wolves or jaguars, for 10seconds your pets will do 40% damage, which dependent on traits can mean an extra 800damage an attack for 10 seconds

in Ranger

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

Empty Slot >>> Sharpening stone

so yeah, take sick em (even thou i dont like it in pve)

in Ranger

Posted by: Arekai.5698

Arekai.5698

Sick em is bugged and sharpening stone is one of the worst skills.
Roll warrior if you want to do PvE.

in Ranger

Posted by: StoneWolf.7930

StoneWolf.7930

sadly, i’m starting to agree with Arekai. in PVE rangers are pretty good if you can trait and use them correctly, but warriors do everything we do better, so do guardians.

in Ranger

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Sic em will be better if you use wolves or jaguars, for 10seconds your pets will do 40% damage, which dependent on traits can mean an extra 800damage an attack for 10 seconds

Yeah, sorry; I should have listed my pets and specific traits. I run a Jaguar. I have a Black Bear for swaps in case my cat dies, but that rarely happens. My traits are:
– Steady Focus
– Eagle Eye
– [undecided third trait from the Marksmanship line]
– Pet’s Prowess
– Carnivorous Appetite (though considering Quick Draw)
– Master’s Bond
– Rending Attacks

If I wanted to play a warrior, I’d have made a warrior. In the future, you should refrain from answering questions about profession builds or skills with “play something else”.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

If you can’t be constructive just leave, you’re not helping anyone.

As this useless post said, yes Sick’Em is bugged, but it’s only bugged if you use it pre combat, once your pet gets a hit in it will work flawlessly. Just remember that ALL shouts prevent you from commanding your pet further until the shout is over or else you end the shouts effect. IE if you use Sick’Em and then hit F2 Sick’Em will be dropped, this is the same with all F1-F4 skills and using another shout.

As for Sharpening Stones, it’s a REALLY strong utility if you’re a condi build, i mean Cmon, 5 stacks of bleed for at least 6 seconds isn’t something to scoff at. However, you are not a condi build so i’d go with Sick’Em especially since you have points in your pet.

I have a Black Bear for swaps in case my cat dies, but that rarely happens

Not sure whether or not you’re new to ranger (assuming you are for sheer helpful hint purposes) try to swap your pet BEFORE it actually dies so you have a shorter swap, swapping pets right before they go down can be the difference between life and death in a lot of situations because that 55s (or w/e it is, it’s long) CD is brutal.

For your 3rd trait in Marks i’d say take up Piercing Arrows, it makes it so your knock back shot can hit an infinite amount of people as can all your other arrow moves.

PS: If you’re using Carnivorous Appetite it synergises REALLY well with Compassion Training in the BM tree because it boosts the healing a little bit, also helps high crit pets (like jag) to stay alive A LOT longer.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

(edited by Durzlla.6295)

in Ranger

Posted by: Wanderer.5471

Wanderer.5471

I think sick em will benefit you more, as you have good investment in BM line, so you get +40% damage on a higher base damage = profit. Sharpening stones is really only for condition builds, judging by traits and weapons i’d assume you’re not into that, though can’t be sure without knowing your gear.

I think Durzlla gave good advice, especially on the knock-back (hadn’t thought of that) but i did a little research and i’d say compassion training isn’t worth it just for the carnivorous appetite synergy as it works out as only an extra 35 health on every crit – so not worth replacing rending attacks imho.

edit: this is just going by the formulas on the wiki, if in practice it works differently, it wouldn’t be the first time

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I think sick em will benefit you more, as you have good investment in BM line, so you get +40% damage on a higher base damage = profit. Sharpening stones is really only for condition builds, judging by traits and weapons i’d assume you’re not into that, though can’t be sure without knowing your gear.

I think Durzlla gave good advice, especially on the knock-back (hadn’t thought of that) but i did a little research and i’d say compassion training isn’t worth it just for the carnivorous appetite synergy as it works out as only an extra 35 health on every crit – so not worth replacing rending attacks imho.

edit: this is just going by the formulas on the wiki, if in practice it works differently, it wouldn’t be the first time

Only reason i suggested the synergy is because he’s using a jaguar who has a high crit chance and his F2 gives him 100% crit chance for ~6 seconds, which can GREATLY increase his staying power seeing as how there’s no CD on Carnivorous Appetite (at least last i checked).

in Ranger

Wanderer.5471

Only reason i suggested the synergy is because he’s using a jaguar who has a high crit chance and his F2 gives him 100% crit chance for ~6 seconds, which can GREATLY increase his staying power seeing as how there’s no CD on Carnivorous Appetite (at least last i checked).

oh i know it would crit a lot, and carnivorous appetite is good, but the scaling you’d get with 350 healing power (compassion training) is an extra 35 health on hit.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

oh i know it would crit a lot, and carnivorous appetite is good, but the scaling you’d get with 350 healing power (compassion training) is an extra 35 health on hit.

Which adds up fast with cats especially with how horrible their initial staying power is

in Ranger

Posted by: Kishandreth.2798

Kishandreth.2798

I was perfectly happy with Sharpening stones being 5 seconds long… but nooo someone had to go and correct me… now i have to spend 4+silver each on the Rare Veggie pizza’s so sharpening stone will tick for 128 or more if buffed for 11 seconds..

Sharpening stone is crazy bleed if geared for condi damage + bleed duration (stack 3 sets of rune bonuses + 45%bleed ) and veggie pizzas (+40% condition duration) and it gives a reliable source of bleed regardless of the way the monster is facing.

Sic em has its uses, depends on build and what you want.

800 per pet attack for 10 seconds.. or 1408 bleed damage added to 5 attacks. anyone care to discuss the numbers? (but i think Jag + f2 +sic em + qz will win)

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

Both are awful choices. Survival, traps and a few signets are about all I ever slot

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in Ranger

Posted by: SerMahad.4813

SerMahad.4813

I don’t understand all this hatred towards S.Stones XD I find it perfectly fine with a serious bit of condition damage when those 5 attacks are aoe and hit 5 different mobs/players. Like with Piercing Arrows or Barrage, or just melee with a GS or a trap (not sure S.S. works perfectly fine there applying the conditions, but it should).
Basically if you manage to spam it aoe it’s 25 bleeds on 5 different targets regardless of facing and such.

My Mom Thinks I’m Special [MTIS] – Piken Square

in Ranger

Posted by: Kishandreth.2798

Kishandreth.2798

Both are awful choices. Survival, traps and a few signets are about all I ever slot

care to give a reason that they’re awful? example
Sharpened edges is an awful trait, as it only gives a 50%ish chance on crit to add 1 second of bleeding which means at 128 bleed damage, and 50% crit chance it averages 32 damage per shot added.

I don’t understand all this hatred towards S.Stones XD I find it perfectly fine with a serious bit of condition damage when those 5 attacks are aoe and hit 5 different mobs/players. Like with Piercing Arrows or Barrage, or just melee with a GS or a trap (not sure S.S. works perfectly fine there applying the conditions, but it should).
Basically if you manage to spam it aoe it’s 25 bleeds on 5 different targets regardless of facing and such.

Again I ask… WHY DONT PEOPLE TELL ME THESE THINGS, I assumed it consumed 1 stack per hit after using it with splitblade (which is bugged and consumes all) so assuming 3 targets you can hit (sword, greatsword, any more then three and you’re probably dead) that takes the bleed up to 4224 per swing for me

(edited by Kishandreth.2798)

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

care to give a reason that they’re awful? example
Sharpened edges is an awful trait, as it only gives a 50%ish chance on crit to add 1 second of bleeding which means at 128 bleed damage, and 50% crit chance it averages 32 damage per shot added.

Again I ask… WHY DONT PEOPLE TELL ME THESE THINGS, I assumed it consumed 1 stack per hit after using it with splitblade (which is bugged and consumes all) so assuming 3 targets you can hit (sword, greatsword, any more then three and you’re probably dead) that takes the bleed up to 4224 per swing for me

It’s a weird thing it’s kinda per hit, but at the same time it’s kinda not… split blade will consume all 5 because it shoots out 5 “hits” where barrage will do the 5 “hits” in the first 5 waves of barrage (assuming you don’t shoot during the time those 5 need to go off). Haven’t tested it with GS, and then piercing attacks all count as the same “hit” which is why they can apply the same effect to an infinite amount of targets (see opening strikes).

in Ranger

Wanderer.5471

just tested after reading through some of these responses and path of scars applies a bleed on the first hit and the return hit on every target in it’s path and only consumes 1 of the 5 bleeds doing so.

in Ranger

Posted by: firebreathz.7692

firebreathz.7692

I swapped sic’em out for the flame trap, mainly cus sic’em is bugged atm. if you dont need the range on the utility then i would suggest the flame trap even if not speced for it.. does more dps then both..

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

just tested after reading through some of these responses and path of scars applies a bleed on the first hit and the return hit on every target in it’s path and only consumes 1 of the 5 bleeds doing so.

This is how all piercing skills works and is one reason I absolutely LOVE off hand axe.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I swapped sic’em out for the flame trap, mainly cus sic’em is bugged atm. if you dont need the range on the utility then i would suggest the flame trap even if not speced for it.. does more dps then both..

Well for starters, Sick’Em is only bugged if you START combat with it, IE don’t let your pet attack at all before using it. Secondly Sick’Em, and all other shouts, stop working if you give your pet ANY new commands, and thirdly, flame trap Only does more damage than either the two (it never out damages Sick’Em if your pet actually is attacking btw) IF and only IF they stand in it the whole time.

in Ranger

Posted by: Arekai.5698

Arekai.5698

If you can’t be constructive just leave, you’re not helping anyone.

You’re not helping anyone by beeing a Ranger either so my post is actually 10 times more useful than yours.

in Ranger

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Well for starters, Sick’Em is only bugged if you START combat with it, IE don’t let your pet attack at all before using it. Secondly Sick’Em, and all other shouts, stop working if you give your pet ANY new commands, and thirdly, flame trap Only does more damage than either the two (it never out damages Sick’Em if your pet actually is attacking btw) IF and only IF they stand in it the whole time.

Stops working as in the bonus damage disappears the second you issue another command? Because if so, I will have to facepalm hard, I’ve been using Sic’em then immedietly doing F2 assuming I was getting crazy bonus damage on the (usually) hard hitting F2 abilities.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Stops working as in the bonus damage disappears the second you issue another command? Because if so, I will have to facepalm hard, I’ve been using Sic’em then immedietly doing F2 assuming I was getting crazy bonus damage on the (usually) hard hitting F2 abilities.

Yup that’ll cancel it, I know -some- F2s can be used before sick’em and you’ll get both effects, like jaguars, and I -think- you can get it to work with drakes if you time it right but i don’t remember, I’d need to test it.

The way the shouts work is you essentially command your pet to do something, so if you give it a new command it’ll overwrite the previous one, kinda sucks I know.

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

I can understand when it comes to the other shouts, but for Sick’em I would hope this is considered a bug that will be fixed.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I can understand when it comes to the other shouts, but for Sick’em I would hope this is considered a bug that will be fixed.

It’s 40% damage and movement speed increase, that’s pretty insane, i totally understand why it’s this way and when they released the skill they even said Sick’Em would drive your pet into a sort of “killing frenzy” where he locked onto your target for the duration.

That being said, i still miss the BETA version where your pet would ignore stealth + clone generation and be unCCable (back when it did 20% damage and movement buff)

in Ranger

Posted by: Verdelet Arconia.6987

Verdelet Arconia.6987

i wouldn’t keep sharpening stones on my utility slot but what I’ll do is use them in the traits under the Power branch.So i’ll have additional utility that’s triggered when certain conditions are met.

I would not use utility that benefit only my pet as well since its better to rely on the ranger as u have direct control for the ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

I guess Sick’em is pretty good if you’re a BM ranger (which I’m not). I see no reason to ever use Sharpening Stone, I think it’s my least favorite of all ranger utilities, including spirits. If you aren’t traited for condition damage then it doesn’t do you much good, if you are traited for condition damage then traps are far more useful. In either case, there are a lot of other skills I’d rather slot. Also, I don’t know whether you’re soloing or group fighting these vets and champions, but keep in mind that in a group fight your sharpening stone will be useless or outright detrimental due to the bleed cap. You’d be much better off with a flame trap, it won’t steal bleeds from other players and provides a combo field for additional burning and area might.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Reaper.1695

Reaper.1695

Lol. Always the answer “use warrior”. I just finished all 3 maps of Orr, solo, with my lvl80 Ranger. I use Sick’em most of the time, however I change things up quite often. Some days I’m all signets, some days I’m all traps. For PvE any combo can work. Entangle is the skill I never change (for those @#$% mobs in ORR!!!)