Sic'em: changing it right (and S&R)

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

As is very probable Sic’em will be change i propose to this change better than just play nerf it.

• reduce CD to 30 secs CD base (24 traited): skill reveal target selected. If not target is selected skill reveal one target in 1200 radius (like the warrior shout but limited to one target)
    Removed increased damage.
    Reveal : 10 secs reveal.
    The pet gains quickness 6 secs.

As such the skill becomes better for both condi and power setups thanks to the quickness. It can be used to fight the stealth spam againts a single target still imposible to achieve full time quickness even with 100% boon duration.

Search and rescue: i think this one should become the elite, increase CD to 80(same as the trait and regain the range to 1200.
This skill will put in combat and send the pet to an downed ally in range and teleport them back to the ranger. In BM mode put the SB in combat and a downed ally in range will be teleported to the ranger.

The trait will do the same: When ranger is in combat a downed ally will be tped to the ranger.

SotP get reduced CD to 40 and moved to an utility skill. With the latest nerf this skill can’t be an elite and can’t have that cd.

Guard should apply the damage reduction to the SB when merged. And each time he is struck get might.

What do you think?

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

(edited by anduriell.6280)

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

The damage increase from Sic’em is one of the best things about Soulbeast, why would you want to remove it? Theres already enough condi utilities, this is our only power one. I agree about making it work like the Warrior shout though.

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

The damage increase from Sic’em is one of the best things about Soulbeast, why would you want to remove it? Theres already enough condi utilities, this is our only power one. I agree about making it work like the Warrior shout though.

Not saying i want to remove it, i’m saying, as many of the veterans here, there will be a 99,99% chance of an smack nerf of the 40% damage buff before even PoF is released. Same as the AOO trick with the maul.

And before they destroy another shout i’d like them to give something back and make the shout still useful.

I TOLD YOU SO

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Would be nice if, while in Beastmode, S&R gave a minor boost to revive speed to make up for the pet’s absence on top of teleporting a downed ally to your location.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

FYI 90% of pets are not affected by quickness.

They can just change the shout to function differently when in beastmode, meaning it still has it’s current functionality when you are not in beast mode, but is also useful when you are in beastmode. If they want us to swap in and out of the mode, the skills need to be useful for either.

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

fortunately not the only 2 ones usable in wvw.

Either way we can agree that’s not the intended behaviour and Anet should fix that.

I TOLD YOU SO

in Ranger

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Because Rangers are so used to having terrible damage for so long, that when it reaches "Almost competent’ levels, they get scared of it.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

fortunately not the only 2 ones usable in wvw.

Either way we can agree that’s not the intended behaviour and Anet should fix that.

Still, your changes render this skill useless to 90% of pets. It’s also a big damage boost lost and able to be stripped/corrupted.

Maybe it is the intended behaviour. Our one skill that enables us to burst like thief or shatter mes etc etc. If it is not intended, I think that they can just change the skill to function with a lowered damage percentage when in beastmode, that keeps the current functionality for the pet when outside the mode and is still a decent buff when inside. It’s not like they can’t just add a check to see if you are in beastmode and if so, then lower the % and modify the tooltip to reflect the different functionality. Far easier than programming a whole new skill.

in Ranger

Posted by: ZhouX.8742

ZhouX.8742

Not saying i want to remove it, i’m saying, as many of the veterans here, there will be a 99,99% chance of an smack nerf of the 40% damage buff before even PoF is released. Same as the AOO trick with the maul.

And before they destroy another shout i’d like them to give something back and make the shout still useful.

This is true, from the history of things slipped into the game for ranger that weren’t intended they were all nerfed, very quickly as well. You saw evidence of that just this week with the stance sharing bug. You will also notice Dolyak Stance never got fixed for us to even test it. You can see how fast things get patched that really help the ranger even if they are obvious bugs that should be fixed.

The maul proc is not intended, it’s obvious, and in light of that it will get nerfed.

The sic’em working on us in Soulbeast is not intended either obviously, this is a pet only buff and since it has already been asked numerous times from people asking devs if that is working as intended, there was no response.

As a ranger, please take this advice from somebody who has mained this class since the beginning of the game and has seen my fair share of in-intended things given to ranger to only have them nerfed and that is:

If you see something that is questionable whether it was intended or not, and it’s obvious from the tool tip that it most likely isn’t but you’re still questioning it, and that very same thing HELPS the ranger while at the same time the devs haven’t responded to the concerns of the ranger playerbase then it’s most likely not intended, and it will 99% get nerfed.

Tanbin

(edited by ZhouX.8742)

in Ranger

Posted by: ProtoMarcus.7649

ProtoMarcus.7649

Sic ’em – The core itself needs change – the reveal. AoE reveal on 600 radius please! The Beastmode version is fine, as long as reveal is tweaked too

Search and Rescue – In Beastmode, should teleport the player to you and double the rezzing speed

Guard – Reduced damage and might generation on hit

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I really wish they wouldn’t change this. I like being able to land mauls that actually make the opponent reassess their choice to keep pressuring me.

It almost definitely will though. Hopefully they just drop the damage boost in Beast Form to 20% rather than nerfing the skill as a whole.

in Ranger

Sartharina.3542

The sic’em working on us in Soulbeast is not intended either obviously, this is a pet only buff and since it has already been asked numerous times from people asking devs if that is working as intended, there was no response.

We are the pet in Beastmode. Sic’em is the only shout that actually work properly.

in Ranger

Posted by: Earix.5684

Earix.5684

“Sic’em: changing it right for my personal WvW 1v1 usage

Earix – GvG Player – Druid / Soulbeast
Pirate Chips [LAYS] – Server Hopping (EU)

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

“Sic’em: changing it right for my personal WvW 1v1 usage

Ah well… If you are not to keep the damage boost, what do you propose?

I TOLD YOU SO

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

I like it how it is thanks. If they can’t design a spec, it’s their problem, I’d like to keep my core skills. And having been on the other end of tons of silly damage spam, with rev’s (ranged) CoR spam in wvw being the freshest in mind, I wouldn’t mind being the kid everyone else complains about for once.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in Ranger

Earix.5684

Well… to begin with, Sic’em doesn’t need a nerf. The ONLY issue is the Attack of Opportunity (+50% damage on your next strike) you get from Maul.
1) It should NOT apply to its own Maul
2) You shouldn’t get it from a blank Maul (even out of combat)

Now if they were to nerf Sic’em for whatever reason, they should just lower the damage part of the skill. Keep in mind that Maul would still be a problem and you would witness yet another double nerf (remember the druid changes). Bad idea.

During the demo event, my Mauls were hitting for 12k5… on a 3.2-4 sec CD… without Sic’em… This is not healthy for the game.
On the other hand, a damage boost on a large CD is fine. It forces defensive cooldowns.

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

Well… to begin with, Sic’em doesn’t need a nerf. The ONLY issue is the Attack of Opportunity (+50% damage on your next strike) you get from Maul.
1) It should NOT apply to its own Maul
2) You shouldn’t get it from a blank Maul (even out of combat)

Now if they were to nerf Sic’em for whatever reason, they should just lower the damage part of the skill. Keep in mind that Maul would still be a problem and you would witness yet another double nerf (remember the druid changes). Bad idea.

During the demo event, my Mauls were hitting for 12k5… on a 3.2-4 sec CD… without Sic’em… This is not healthy for the game.
On the other hand, a damage boost on a large CD is fine. It forces defensive cooldowns.

I agree, having the damage boost in the skill is fun would be best not to change the skill. Anyhow i don’t count with it. Even if it’s not nerfed before the PoF release (to boost sales) most likely it will soon later.

In opposition I think Maul consuming it’s own AOO although seems scary is the only skill it works as it should for a petless ranger.

It is a very telegraphed, short range and long cast skill which is adecuarte to have that kind of damage if we don’t have our pets.

We should keep in mind there is Reventant’s CoR which applies same damage (it’s easy to be hit by 12k CoR at 1200) up to 5 targets with a range of 1200 in a 4 seconds CD with no tells and sometimes LoD eats even the skill animation. Having same damage in an melee skill so obvious and slow isn’t overpowered compared to the hamrev.

thinking about it, the problem is not located to one specific effect but the union of all.
What about Sic’em to apply pulsing AOO once per 1/2 second instead the plain buff?

That would make not to aggregate the damage (AOO + Sic’em) which is the real problem here.

And we could get something similar for the SoW instead the immobile thingy which nobody really uses (muddy terrain is plain better and shorter CD).

Another option would be to change how AOO works to instead next attack to apply buff for X seconds of lesser damage (like ~30%) which accumulate duration (like stealth). And also give that buff to the Sic’em shout.

Moment of clarity: 3 second the AOO buff.
Maul: pet gets 2 seconds AOO buff.
Sic’em: 6 seconds AOO buff
SoW: 6 seconds AOO buff.

With that we make impossible to accumulate 30K mauls but we get that DPS loss back in longer duration.

I TOLD YOU SO

(edited by anduriell.6280)

in Ranger

Posted by: Wiseman.4075

Wiseman.4075

I thought this combo was fine. At first I was I amazed at the big spike dmg but in reality you lose 1-2 utility slots to pull off the big dmg and you basically only get one chance at it per fight due to cooldowns. Most people are going to evade the Maul due to the high visibility of the skill. Outside of Maul, the ranger really doesnt have any big spike ability so its not spammable imo. I’m sure the combo will get nerfed but hopefully not so much that the skills are no longer useful.

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

I’m still not convinced it should be changed. SB is lacking survivability wise, condi defence is extremely poor. Going the full damage route will just be another glassy build most classes can create. 15k crits on light armor is a new thing for us, but it’s not something out of the ordinary. Now, try to land a good maul on a phantasm or a scourge.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tharne.3298

Tharne.3298

[quote=6712343;ZhouX.8742:]

in Ranger

Tharne.3298

The maul proc is not intended, it’s obvious, and in light of that it will get nerfed.

Thing is, every traits and skills (skills more than traits) need to do something in Beastmode, if not it means they failed the Spec. If going into Beastmode cuts you from 1/5 of Traits and Skills that’s not good design, everything needs to work even if they have to make some other effects.

(edited by Tharne.3298)

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

I thought this combo was fine. At first I was I amazed at the big spike dmg but in reality you lose 1-2 utility slots to pull off the big dmg and you basically only get one chance at it per fight due to cooldowns. Most people are going to evade the Maul due to the high visibility of the skill. Outside of Maul, the ranger really doesnt have any big spike ability so its not spammable imo. I’m sure the combo will get nerfed but hopefully not so much that the skills are no longer useful.

The only thing about that combo that should be nerfed is the maul+AOP, the AOP should be applied for your next hit. Fixed. Sic’em should stay the same.

in Ranger

ZhouX.8742

Thing is, every traits and skills (skills more than traits) need to do something in Beastmode, if not it means they failed the Spec. If going into Beastmode cuts you from 1/5 of Traits and Skills that’s not good design, everything needs to work even if they have to make some other effects.

So you’re essentially saying “Guard” should be the ranger protecting himself? If you Heal As One while melded with your pet, would you get 2 heals essentially since it effects both you and your pet and you should get your pet’s buffs as well?

This design from your perspective doesn’t make much sense. Shouts were redesigned for the pet to assist the ranger way before Soulbeast was even introduced. They are 2 entirely different concepts from the elite spec to the shout implementation.

You would need to redesign how shouts would work were you to have them work the way they are while melded because some of them simply make no sense.

I know ranger would love to have the dmg bonus and I think it should be included but I know it’s not realistic from Anet’s standpoint. This will definitely be nerfed if it is intended to work in Soulbeast because they will simply not allow ranger have this kind of consistent damage output.

Unfortunately, it has been this way since the beginning of the game for ranger, any form of massive dmg output has been either directly or silently nerfed by Anet with little to no reason as to why except the fact that we have a pet. This was their reasoning behind ranger having generally low dmg coefficients on weapons to begin with.

Tanbin

in Ranger

Tharne.3298

So you’re essentially saying “Guard” should be the ranger protecting himself? If you Heal As One while melded with your pet, would you get 2 heals essentially since it effects both you and your pet and you should get your pet’s buffs as well?

This design from your perspective doesn’t make much sense. Shouts were redesigned for the pet to assist the ranger way before Soulbeast was even introduced. They are 2 entirely different concepts from the elite spec to the shout implementation.

You would need to redesign how shouts would work were you to have them work the way they are while melded because some of them simply make no sense.

They need to add a Beastmode effect, yes.
No-Beastmode = base effect.
Beastmode = new effect.

Yes, that takes time but guess what ? That’s kind of their job, if they introduced something and kitten it, well that’s on them.

Is there another profession that have some of their skills do nothing ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Then the elite spec is basically dead and no amount of soft nerfing will prevent that. Might as well just get used to using Druid for another 2+ years in all game modes.

Begging Anet to go easy on Maul/Sic Em won’t change anything.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Sartharina.3542

Keep in mind that when you enter Beastmode, you lose 30% of your physical damage, and a massive pool of health. So, Sic’em is just a brief 10% damage boost.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Keep in mind that when you enter Beastmode, you lose 30% of your physical damage, and a massive pool of health. So, Sic’em is just a brief 10% damage boost.

Pets are nowhere near 30% of your damage, unbuffed they do like 2k dps max.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Unbuffed is 1k max.

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Unbuffed is 1k max.

I rounded up since I hadn’t tested the new pets

in Ranger

Posted by: hobotnicax.7918

hobotnicax.7918

I logged in just to leave a comment on this.

NO. Stupid ideas that would hurt the Ranger/Druid/SB.

in Ranger

Earix.5684

Old myth. This “30% of your damage” may be related to our kitten weapon coefficients. Our pet might have been brought as an explanation back then, hence this reference.
Can’t remember.

Take the greatsword auto attack chain as an example:

Ranger:
Slash (½): 0.55
Slice (½): 0.55
Power Stab (¾): 0.72

Warrior:
Greatsword Swing (½): 0.7
Greatsword Slice (½): 0.7
Brutal Strike (½): 0.9

Guardian:
Strike (½): 0.8
Vengeful Strike (½): 0.8
Wrathful Strike (½): 1.2

in Ranger

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Old myth. This “30% of your damage” may be related to our kitten weapon coefficients. Our pet might have been brought as an explanation back then, hence this reference.
Can’t remember….

It was probably true once, when we were all running around in looted totally random green gear.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarision.6347

Sarision.6347

Depends on your gear, I remember awhile back that in PvE a speed-clearing guild concluded that pets make up 15-20% of your DPS assuming full zerkers.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Yeah but for your pet to be unbuffed you’re avoiding an awful lot of traits that are very good for you too like sharpened edges, predators onslaught, companions might, bountiful hunter, fortifying bond etc.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

This is true, from the history of things slipped into the game for ranger that weren’t intended they were all nerfed, very quickly as well. You saw evidence of that just this week with the stance sharing bug. You will also notice Dolyak Stance never got fixed for us to even test it. You can see how fast things get patched that really help the ranger even if they are obvious bugs that should be fixed.

As a ranger, please take this advice from somebody who has mained this class since the beginning of the game and has seen my fair share of in-intended things given to ranger to only have them nerfed and that is:

If you see something that is questionable whether it was intended or not, and it’s obvious from the tool tip that it most likely isn’t but you’re still questioning it, and that very same thing HELPS the ranger while at the same time the devs haven’t responded to the concerns of the ranger playerbase then it’s most likely not intended, and it will 99% get nerfed.

How is this unintentional? Traits and skills that effect pets effect the Ranger instead in Beastmode.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

I rounded up since I hadn’t tested the new pets

I tested the new pets but didn’t bother doing any DPS tests on them. I figured Rock Gazelle and the Jacaranda are going to be reduced pretty hard. Fanged Iboga was difficult to test in the lobby since it’s auto attack is essentially Phantasmal Warlock.

Just based on the pets currently available, that round up was a significant one since felines deal the most damage unbuffed, and they just break the 1k mark.

As side notes: Jacaranda and the Iboga also have a decent amount of aftercast on their attacks. Jacaranda also has this weird behavior where it has to turn towards its target while other pets are able to shift their direction instantly – very odd.

in Ranger

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

Well i think S&R would need something that would justify it as an elite.
SotP could be a utility skill.
Sic Em should reveal 5 targets in a 600 range area and give quickness and fury.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

Because Rangers are so used to having terrible damage for so long, that when it reaches "Almost competent’ levels, they get scared of it.

16k+ mauls are stupid. Sic Em is getting nerfed 100%. I’d prefer if the damage bonus was lower in exchange for more utility.

I think it’s quite generous that the Soulbeast in beastmode counts as an animal in the first place, and benefits from the BM tree.

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

16k+ mauls are stupid. Sic Em is getting nerfed 100%. I’d prefer if the damage bonus was lower in exchange for more utility.

I think it’s quite generous that the Soulbeast in beastmode counts as an animal in the first place, and benefits from the BM tree.

Sic’em is not the reason for big mauls, It’s the AoO bug, which supposed to be applied to the next attack(will get fixed for sure). Without this bug, Sic’em is a great power boosting tool for sure, but I’m not convinced is should get a nerf. I don’t think it’s "generous " we can benefit from our “shouts” and traits in beastmode, I think this is the obvious thing, just look how bad is SoR with soulbeast because it’s broken in beastmode(and I hope it will get fixed).

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

16k+ mauls are stupid.

No, getting hit by a maul is stupid.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

ZhouX.8742

Sic’em is not the reason for big mauls, It’s the AoO bug, which supposed to be applied to the next attack(will get fixed for sure). Without this bug, Sic’em is a great power boosting tool for sure, but I’m not convinced is should get a nerf. I don’t think it’s "generous " we can benefit from our “shouts” and traits in beastmode, I think this is the obvious thing, just look how bad is SoR with soulbeast because it’s broken in beastmode(and I hope it will get fixed).

It depends , what should guard do in beast mode , should heal as one apply twice and sync twice since it affects your pet as well , should rampage as one affect you twice since you’re melded with your pet? Should you guard yourself, since your pet guards with “Guard!”?

Shouts simply don’t make sense right now with Beastmode for more than half of them, it’s easy to point out the op one that gives a 40% dmg bonus and say “this! this one belongs to be applied with ranger in beast mode!” without looking at the role Shouts played way before Beastmode was even implemented and how they all work in BM.

I have a feeling they will nerf the affect given to us by half for weapon skills and utilities, so the ranger receives 20% of that damage and a 40% dmg increase on BM abilities. So your actual weapon abilities are halved from sicem but your worldly impact would have 40% for example.

Tanbin

in Ranger

LughLongArm.5460

It depends , what should guard do in beast mode , should heal as one apply twice and sync twice since it affects your pet as well , should rampage as one affect you twice since you’re melded with your pet? Should you guard yourself, since your pet guards with “Guard!”?

Shouts simply don’t make sense right now with Beastmode for more than half of them, it’s easy to point out the op one that gives a 40% dmg bonus and say “this! this one belongs to be applied with ranger in beast mode!” without looking at the role Shouts played way before Beastmode was even implemented and how they all work in BM.

I have a feeling they will nerf the affect given to us by half for weapon skills and utilities, so the ranger receives 20% of that damage and a 40% dmg increase on BM abilities. So your actual weapon abilities are halved from sicem but your worldly impact would have 40% for example.

WHAO works in beast mode and do exactly as you described. And ya, guard should work as well and every other skill or trait that effects pet.

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

16k+ mauls are stupid.

16k mauls were a thing before this and nobody cared.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Or, they can split balance and leave the damage buff in for PvE because god knows greatsword ranger needs buffs in the range of 40%+ to be even competitive as is.