Sick of getting kicked for being ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: MrSmiley.1543

MrSmiley.1543

Seriously, I only recently started the endgame dungeons but the amount of times I am kicked or not allowed in for being a ranger is sickening. Thing is, I don’t even see why when I do actually get in I tend to be on the better performers, also search and rescue saves people so many times. When I get groups in arah I have to go out of my way to convince them to allow me to stay just for being a ranger and I really shouldn’t need to do this…

Anyone else having this issue? I’m even ignoring most of the lfm groups that sound too elitist in their message yet still these people are all over.

in Ranger

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

I feel like it is probably the build you are running. I have never been kicked from a dungeon or fractal. Honestly, I’ve kicked other rangers, more than any other profession simply by asking them a couple questions about their build and if they don’t pass, boot. If your reply is, “I really don’t know how this build works” or “I’m using spirits”, instant boot.

in Ranger

MrSmiley.1543

they never ask about my build, or look at my weapons. It’s like they see the paw print next to my portrait and then they just see red.

in Ranger

Indoles.1467

You can tell the build most people run by looking at their buffs, I only ask if their build matches my interpretation of something decent. If they are kicking you for being a ranger, try being more friendly when you enter and make yourself seem useful. Still, I have yet to get kicked, even for cof speed runs with pugs.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

People have tried to kick me, but I often win my spot in pugs by playing the sympathy card to the leader (“Don’t kick me yet! I’m berserker geared!”) as soon as I join.

The main discrimination you’ll face is on the LFG postings for zerker warriors. Either warriors or guardians. Once you join the group you’ll rarely be kicked if you clarify from the beginning you are going on a porperly berserker specced ranger.

Rangers will get a lot of flak occasionally because you still have so many rangers running useless bears in a dungeon (they do so little damage you may as well stow them — a few stacks of bleeding outdamage those bears) and a longbow on a crappy build.

in Ranger

Indoles.1467

Good point zenith. I forgot to mention the pet aspect. If I see you running a bear, kick. Although anything else is just about acceptable. I haven’t booted one yet (as they are so rare to find), but I would boot moa users as well as long as it isn’t the red moa. Red moa can actually do something. The longbow build using spirits make me facepalm so hard. “I’m condition damage.” Really? With a longbow? Really? I got a question for you. What is the shape of Italy?

in Ranger

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Ok, there are two different issues here to “dispel”.

First, rangers aren’t exactly the most “on demand” class for dungeons for a good reason – they’re really not that good in a dungeon. Don’t get me wrong, they’re more than capable of finishing any dungeon, but what they excel at is bunkering, which is useless in the current dungeons. Dungeons are the land of the “berserker of the berserker” gear, where you don’t really need to tank (and many cases can’t, even if you wanted to), you dodge and avoid. The kind of defense you want in a dungeon is only the kind someone like a Guardian can provide – healing and protection for everyone, preferably without sacrificing any “berserking” himself.

Which isn’t to say Rangers can’t do dungeons at all. They have perma half-vigor and enough avoidance to go full berserker without issues… But so does a warrior, which, in PvE against stupid enemies, will dwarf your damage… Or a guardian, or a mesmer… At the end of the day we’re still stuck to the pet, and pets don’t do well in dungeons, so we end up a bit crippled in comparison.

This isn’t really that much of an issue for a normal dungeon run, not even high level fractals now that pets share agony resistance, but if you’re into hardcore speedrunning, really shaving off those seconds wherever you can, then there’s no reason to carry a ranger in your team. But to be honest, there’s no reason to carry anything in your team that isn’t Warrior (most of your team) and Guardian or Mesmer. That’s just a PvE design flaw…

Now, what you also have is plenty of wannabe speedrunners – clueless mongs who think they actually know what they’re doing because they read somewhere berserker Warriors are good in PvE (they have no idea why most of the time) and think that now that they made one, they’re kings of the dungeon run. Most of them have no earthly idea what a speedrun is, or how to do one, all they know is how to shakily reproduce those CoF p1 speedruns they were carried through a few times. They don’t understand dungeons, or PvE… or much of anything. They request heavy classes because that’s what they heard was good, without even knowing or understanding why or why it is irrelevant at the level they play.

Those are idiots, don’t bother.

So, in short, my answer to you is to find people who know how to dungeon run and add them to your friends list, then contact them when you want to go on a run. Or start your own post in LFG. It’s not difficult and saves you trouble.

in Ranger

Posted by: Stice.5204

Stice.5204

Most players have heard that rangers are worse than other classes in dungeons. They haven’t heard how much worse but they’ve taken it to heart anyway and decided they are too good to be in a scrubby group with a ranger. The reality is that a properly built, equipped and played ranger is no detriment to a normal group, but they neither know this nor care.

If only Anet could design a dungeon where berserker gear is a liability and everyone needs to run bunker builds. Suddenly you’d see a massive change of heart from the player base because we can do more damage than anyone else in a bunker build. (We can also do more damage than anyone else in a berserker build, but only under ideal conditions that are very hard to replicate in a dungeon.)

Even though players exaggerate it a lot, I doubt Anet is happy with the current class balance for dungeons, so we’ll probably see some changes eventually. Don’t hold your breath, though. Your best bet in the meantime may be to find some other “unwelcome” classes and make your own dungeon groups. You might be surprised how efficient they can be when played correctly.

Guardian, Engineer
[SIC] Strident Iconoclast – BP

in Ranger

Posted by: Boomslang.4352

Boomslang.4352

This happens to all other classes. If I were ANET, I would stop looking at the angle of class balance for now as this will take too long. Instead, they should look at dungeon mechanics and how they can remove some of the viability of running a full zerk team of warriors.

Example is fighting a Veteran Karka. If the karka pops retaliation, even my regen ranger has trouble outhealing it if I don’t stop attacking with my SB. Conditions will shine in fights like these, thus making other classes more viable than a zerker build.

Black Gate Altaholic.
level 80 × 8 = 0 gold

in Ranger

Posted by: zTales.4392

zTales.4392

I never understood why people do this. There’s this guy I used to play with on my Ele, and we ran AC pretty often (this was a couple of months ago, before those major changes). A Ranger asked to join our group, and he was like, “Don’t accept the Ranger.” When I said, “Why, is he bad?” my friend said “Well, he’s a Ranger.” I then accepted the invite. My friend got annoyed. We did fine. xD

Yesterday, my level 70 Thief buddy and I ran AC with some lower level people. I was level 35 [Ranger] with level 30 blue gear. We didn’t have any issues. The worst thing that happened was that we wiped on Ghost Eater a couple of times after getting his health down really low. x.x But there were 3 people in the group (including myself) who never did that fight before, so it’s understandable.

So I’ve come to the conclusion that AC is not stupid hard for a Ranger to get through. Does it get worse or something?

Bri Dragonblight – Ranger | Bri Iceblight – Guardian
Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by zTales.4392)

in Ranger

Posted by: Abraxius.6429

Abraxius.6429

lol i cant really comment on being kicked of any dungeons as how i have the luxury of a great guild that is active so i almostnever have to pug, but reminds of the time i was in a group of 4 warriors and me, MY GAWD i didnt even get to enjoy the dungeon as i had to spend my whole run rezzing those squishy guys O.O! and the gate bubble part were u all had to stand i was nervous cause only 1 warrior can do gate and i honestly didnt think the others could live the bubble fights and my assumptions were right as 2 downed but luckily warrrior finished gate in time. Don’t let ppl get to u if a warrior makes fun of you just challenge him to a duel he will back down immediatley XD

The Lawful Danyyle
(Reality is Unbalanced)

in Ranger

Posted by: Vennyhedgie.5369

Vennyhedgie.5369

This happens to all other classes. If I were ANET, I would stop looking at the angle of class balance for now as this will take too long. Instead, they should look at dungeon mechanics and how they can remove some of the viability of running a full zerk team of warriors.

Example is fighting a Veteran Karka. If the karka pops retaliation, even my regen ranger has trouble outhealing it if I don’t stop attacking with my SB. Conditions will shine in fights like these, thus making other classes more viable than a zerker build.

That’s the moment when necros and their boon corruption and thieves with boon stripping become the new meta

in Ranger

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

That’s the moment when necros and their boon corruption and thieves with boon stripping become the new meta

you missed mesmer; king of boonstrip

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Ranger

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

Over 1,5k h played on ranger, dungeon master done only with ranger, 33 fotm lvl on ranger. Noone ever said bad word about ranger in dungs to me, not to mention kicking or not inviting.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

but zerker rangers are useless.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I feel like it is probably the build you are running. I have never been kicked from a dungeon or fractal. Honestly, I’ve kicked other rangers, more than any other profession simply by asking them a couple questions about their build and if they don’t pass, boot. If your reply is, “I really don’t know how this build works” or “I’m using spirits”, instant boot.

I use spirits for any encounter without massive AoE in dungeons. I use storm spirit occasionally on bosses because I find that even if the spirit goes down, I still have plenty of swiftness until I can cast it again.

Arah: Crusher boss – put spirits in corner and use the swiftness to move out of way of hammer and the frost for 70% damage. Spirits worked great in Arah and Molten Facility.

I feel like I should qualify this with my credentials because literally everyone but Durz, myself, and a few others avoid spirits due to their preconceptions. I have a massive 1764 hours on ranger (borderline no lifer), have played over 350 dungeons (not counting individual fractals), and I have full sets of armor from every dungeon and am now picking up a couple extra sets. I just played level 30 FOTM, used spirits where it made sense, and got an incredibly lucky exotic drop. I play ranger almost exclusively. My warrior is my mule.

There is a reason Anet keeps buffing health of spirits with a few slight tweaks and I think part of that is because Anet feels spirits are undervalued. I feel the same way.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

Over 1,5k h played on ranger, dungeon master done only with ranger, 33 fotm lvl on ranger. Noone ever said bad word about ranger in dungs to me, not to mention kicking or not inviting.

Congrats, I wish there was more of us out there.

in Ranger

Posted by: Spirit.9158

Spirit.9158

Ya, it can be very annoying! Although I’ve only ever had it happen to me once, and this was just for a normal dungeon run, not a speed run or anything similar. I’ve had one person complain that I’m a ranger, and that they should get somebody “better”. However, I loved proving this player wrong when they were downed and I quickly got them up while dodging AoE’s (which they seemed incapable of – why they were downed so many times) and getting back to the fight. They didn’t say anything after that. As others have have said, it’s just people’s misconceptions about the class as a whole. They’ve heard other players talking about ‘how bad rangers are’ and believe it without having any knowledge or experience to back it up. Generally I find most players have no issue with going into a dungeon with me, just those two occasions.

You were probably better off being kicked anyway, playing with people like that can be a nightmare.

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

I rolled a warrior specifically for running dungeons. Glad I did. Easy easy easy compared to the ranger. I just have to worry about one character. I still love my ranger for PVE, but I like my warrior for dungeons… I also never have to worry about getting kicked with him. I am only running a power/vit/crit build, not even zerker… Although after hearing the numbers my bro is putting down with his zerker warrior I think I’ll be heading that way with mine shortly.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Ranger

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

i love my ranger; but dont do dungeons with it… its just not as good in dungeons as my dungeon classes (mes, guard, ele and warr)

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Ranger

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

I use spirits for any encounter without massive AoE in dungeons. I use storm spirit occasionally on bosses because I find that even if the spirit goes down, I still have plenty of swiftness until I can cast it again.

Arah: Crusher boss – put spirits in corner and use the swiftness to move out of way of hammer and the frost for 70% damage. Spirits worked great in Arah and Molten Facility.

I think you’re overfly fond of defending genuinely problematic and lackluster mechanics/abilities. The usefulness of a swiftness-granting spirit against an encounter with frequent immobilizes and cripples is exaggerated (not to mention the frontal range of the hammer attack that’ll destroy anything in its path, including spirits), and this 70% damage figure you’re using is sheer fantasy – the frost spirit certainly does not grant a 70% damage increase.

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

It is not the ranger that sucks its the player behind the ranger. Anyone who tells you that you cannot join a group by the simple fact of being a ranger is someone you should immediately avoid playing with forever.

For those who say that you will not invite a ranger only by looking at the buffs they have, that is stupid too. What if you just came back from playing in PvE and still have the utilities on you and did not change them yet? It doesn’t even take 10 seconds to choose different utilities. I agree with taking a look into their builds You may need high DPS rangers for certain tasks or someone who is not squishy; but even before pointing fingers you can simply determine if they are experienced by allowing them to switch their build into something more suitable, which at the same time they should be aware of. Even the hoax of using spirits is not a suitable option to kick someone from the party, unless the spirit itself IS the cause for a failed dungeon run.

So all in all: if you suck as a player, it does not matter what you play as, you will not be welcome in locations where skill is a must. But if you kick people from groups by discriminating against what they are capable of within a profession, then you are the one who should not be allowed to be in groups less organizing any kind of groups. Why? Because players grow stronger especially from failed experiences. You cannot expect every ranger to know what they’re doing. You cannot expect to succeed every time. If you are publicly looking for groups learn the hard lessons, or do what I do and find a good guild who will not discriminate against you, rather help you be stronger.

For those of you still wondering about what skills or builds to use, it matters as long as you are contributing to your party. I go into dungeons re-traiting myself, using different weapons, using different utilities, switching pets all the time. But making conscious decisions regarding what type of players are in the party, what can I do to better support them, do I need to be full melee or full support/conditions or full burst and damage.

At the same time, learn how to work with rangers. We are a very versatile profession who can adapt to a lot, if a ranger doesn’t know, as rangers you can help. If the player doesn’t do anything about it, then tell them why you kicked them, it’s called constructive criticism for a reason. Otherwise congratulations for increasing the pool of people moving away from ranger profession due to your encouragement in that they suck, if that makes you happier then I hope someone does it back to you… repeatedly.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in Ranger

MrSmiley.1543

Honestly this is killing my drive to play, ranger is my favorite class and I don’t feel like leveling another entire class just for dungeons. I get so many comments just on my class as soon as I enter a group even if they don’t do anything about it, it gets annoying and demotivating. Notably I have never been criticized after a group starts, but I am sick of getting talk just for not being a certain class.

Also, if they judge instantly off of buffs then they are pretty stupid, solo/group utilities are not always the same for any class…

in Ranger

Posted by: Loxsus.3841

Loxsus.3841

Honestly this is killing my drive to play, ranger is my favorite class and I don’t feel like leveling another entire class just for dungeons. I get so many comments just on my class as soon as I enter a group even if they don’t do anything about it, it gets annoying and demotivating. Notably I have never been criticized after a group starts, but I am sick of getting talk just for not being a certain class.

Also, if they judge instantly off of buffs then they are pretty stupid, solo/group utilities are not always the same for any class…

Chalk it up to a streak of bad luck and keep trying good sir. As many have said in this thread, its somewhat uncommon actually to be blacklisted just for being a ranger or running a certain build/traits.

The ones who do usually advertise ahead of time what they’re looking for (IE Berserker warriors and mesmers only).

I’ve been using gw2lfg.com for every run on my ranger that I don’t do with my guild and I’ve not ONCE had anyone discriminate against my class. Heck, we’ve run dungeons with 3 rangers and did just fine. Fastest? Maybe not but still a lot of fun.

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

@xev

Nope, my spirits don’t die versus the crusher because I know where to place them. Swiftness has saved people many times as they wait for a condition clear and then manage to move out of the way at the last second. Swiftness is extremely undervalued in boss fights in general. Durzlla used storm spirit with me versus the final two molten facility bosses and it really helped the team being able to run out of red circles easier.

Finally, I often use stone spirit and frost spirit. It’s not a banner (I only play ranger so comparing other buffs to spirits is irrelevant for me unless it’s a theorycrafting kind of thing), no, but it’s +7% for five players with permanent protection. In the Ascalonian Fractal yesterday, level 30, we had a couple downies vs the mobs on the path to the arena. I switched to stone spirit and we were golden.

For how much I defend spirits, 1000 other people say things that are just flat out wrong about them (like the crusher destroying them which only happens if you are foolish with their placement). So why don’t you try it?

Easy: because foolish players will kick someone just for bringing a spirit. Heck, I got kicked from an Arah pug yesterday for dodging grubs. They said you can’t dodge grubs. :/

in Ranger

MrSmiley.1543

Easy: because foolish players will kick someone just for bringing a spirit. Heck, I got kicked from an Arah pug yesterday for dodging grubs. They said you can’t dodge grubs. :/

Lol. I have had plenty say “you don’t need to dodge grubs” but they have never said not to if you can…

in Ranger

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

Never been kicked for being a ranger, never kicked someone for being a ranger. Even if they bring spirits and a longbow I can make up for it.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

in Ranger

Posted by: Dajman.2740

Dajman.2740

I have never kicked anyone nor been kicked but I will say that I have had people leave group because the group wasn’t going to be a speed run.

I feel bad for people who feel they need perfect speed run every time. Clearly these are people who have not spent hours wiping on content competing for server and world firsts in games with real PvE.

I love running dungeons in this game but it is a joke to act like or think that there is enough challenge behind any fight in this game that is worth demanding min/max group builds.

in Ranger

MrSmiley.1543

well I am done being mad for the moment and have returned to dungeons today, no problems yet so i think I had a spat of terrible luck yesterday

in Ranger

Posted by: Oberon Vex.1389

Oberon Vex.1389

I personally have never run into this issue, but its skewed in my case, as I rarely run a dungeon other than with close friends and the occasional guildie. Zerker longbow ranger is at least as useful as zerker warrior, as you do 2/3rds the damage but from the safety of 1200range, as rapidfire with zerks does ~11k on an 8s cd (not to mention can apply 20stax of vuln on a new target, and more or less maintain a minimum of 10stax vuln with just weapon skills), in addition to being able to pump out 13k dmg on 5 targets aoe over ~4s with barrage on a (24s cd? cant remember atm). A condition damage Shortbow ranger could also put out some ungodly amount of damage in dungeon conditions as u can easily get the angling for the SB’s auto to constantly apply bleeds on top of the high duration poison.

Those two weaponsets alone (provided you are geared appropriately) are enough to make a ranger a viable dungeon party member, and thats BEFORE you get into utility skills. I will admit that for the most part the ranger is kitten when it comes to party support mechanics in their utility/elite skills, but the amount of dps a ranger can put out when geared is nothing to scoff at.

Shoddy pet AI? not all Anet’s fault by any stretch of the imagination. I think it is a mistake for people to expect their pet to do meaningful damage in a dungeon, and that for the most part bring the absolute wrong pet for the wrong reason into dungeons. Want to deal damage in a dungeon via pet: STAY WITH A RANGED PET; if you want your pet to deal damage in a dungeon and not have to babysit it, keep with spiders and devourers, they keep out of trouble for the most part and so you can concentrate on other things (even their actives are geared for this as some leave combofields). If you do not bring a ranged pet for a dungeon, I would expect a ranger to be able to properly manage their pet so that it can still contribute, this involves choosing an appropriate pet (Sylvan Hound for the regeneration, Brownbear for the aoe condition clearing, BlackBear for enemy-wide weakness, Murellow for on demand poison field etc), but the key to it is positioning the pet yourself. In a final boss setting, where your pet will likely get destroyed quickly, switch it to passive until it is strong enough to go back in — you can still make them activate their F2 skills while they are ‘passive’, so you can still trigger that team-wide regeneration from the Sylvan Hound or clear conditions with your Bear etc. And swap your pet for crying out loud. If you are ANY kind of damage spec I would expect a ranger to run 5pts in BM just to get the 2s of Quickness on pet swap, so do so when your pet is in danger. It doesn’t take much to monitor your pet’s health and hit swap when he’s low, and its only a 20s cooldown. Between swapping your pet and recalling it via the heel command or passive/hostile toggle you can pretty much ensure your pet will survive; it’s not always possible to never let your pet die, people make mistakes, but it really isn’t that hard to maintain your pet so that it is up the majority of the time. In my experience once your pet dies once, it DOES get harder to ensure your swapped pet lives that extra time till the next swap is available.

Short and sweet of it: dont use cats or birds in dungeons and manage whatever you use; its not Anet’s fault that people don’t micromanage their pet.

(edited by Oberon Vex.1389)

in Ranger

Posted by: NemesiS.6749

NemesiS.6749

I hate elitist, they thing they are so good. I play with everyone nor care what class you are. During the last dungeon of flame and frost i got a group with some new people and we failed at last boss, he later send me a message saying sorry i suck (they didn’t even dodged or try to avoid the dmg lol) and apologizing i told not to worry, we all have been there at one time, we all didn’t had an idea of what to do when we started, i tried giving him tips tho he was a guardian and i don’t have experience with them.

Was funny because they died in the first seconds of the fight and i almost manage to kill the first boss stage on my own, got him to like 10%, i had to survive a lot to do all that damage lol.

in Ranger

Posted by: NemesiS.6749

NemesiS.6749

Congrats, I wish there was more of us out there.

well i gotta say even tho i dont do fracs, (i so hate LFG, waste of time lol) i am only at lvl 2, i have done all the dungeons with my ranger and most content. I think once some guys didn’t invite me to the party to do a dungeon because i was a ranger but just once

in Ranger

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

it must be just me or something. but, I have never been kicked for being a ranger, anywhere, be it arah, fotm, or w/e. Noone ever ask me for my build. And someone said runing bear and moas are bad idea? I dont think so… the brown bear purify ur party, and the brown moa gives your party the crit buff, and both gives regen. I also run full zerker gear on my ranger, as I dont see any other gear will best zerker. we do not need toughness or vit. I do not run a condition build, and well I dont use my sb much. even in cof, or other places where you need poison because bosses got regen. I use devour pet, or 1h sword for the source of poison.

My suggest to OP is that, find a nice guild.

Ranger was my first char and will always be my main. Pve, pvp, wvw, I do everything on my ranger. I however have made other classes, but have yet to have a class that I can enjoy all aspect of the game like my ranger.

My other suggestion would be that, if you dont like how other people would kick you then make your own squad. The problem of being kicked isnt really a problem if you are the leader.

ps. I totally agree with oberon abou he lb compare to sb. I find myself using my sb less and less. but I still carry it anyways because I already go one.

(edited by pho.9412)

in Ranger

MrSmiley.1543

I do need a guild, but not even sure where to start looking for one, randomly shouting gets you zerg guilds and I’m not into those.

in Ranger

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

I do need a guild, but not even sure where to start looking for one, randomly shouting gets you zerg guilds and I’m not into those.

Ah.. yeah, I was on the same boat when I started this game. I played cos my rl friends were playing. then they all quit, that was when I was in my 60s. then I just lvled to 80 by myself and did a few dungeons with pugs, and decided it was too boring doing everything with pugs because people dont really wanna make friends with you. so I went to the guild section in forum posting that I needed a nice pvx guild, my class/lvl, the time zone that I play, what I want out of the guild, then I got a pm from a nice guy. I got to a WvW guild, it was full of nice people, and we did wvw everyday. but, I got tired of wvw, so I was talking to my guild mate about that, and they inv, me to their pve guild. So now I am in 2 guilds for wvw and pve ever since. but, I think I am one of the lucky once that actually got a nice reply, and got super nice guild. You can try what I did and see what you get.

in Ranger

MrSmiley.1543

Ah.. yeah, I was on the same boat when I started this game. I played cos my rl friends were playing. then they all quit, that was when I was in my 60s. then I just lvled to 80 by myself and did a few dungeons with pugs, and decided it was too boring doing everything with pugs because people dont really wanna make friends with you. so I went to the guild section in forum posting that I needed a nice pvx guild, my class/lvl, the time zone that I play, what I want out of the guild, then I got a pm from a nice guy. I got to a WvW guild, it was full of nice people, and we did wvw everyday. but, I got tired of wvw, so I was talking to my guild mate about that, and they inv, me to their pve guild. So now I am in 2 guilds for wvw and pve ever since. but, I think I am one of the lucky once that actually got a nice reply, and got super nice guild. You can try what I did and see what you get.

ahah, the guild section BRILIANT….shoulda thought of that on my own though XD

in Ranger

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I’ve never gotten kicked for being a ranger, not even with pugs. I think it’s because we usually list our builds beforehand (condition, zerker, tank, support, etc). Usually I’m one of the only people running a condition build, and I end up being the one doing crowd control and leading the mobs around.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Ranger

Posted by: Pendleton.6385

Pendleton.6385

It is not the ranger that sucks its the player behind the ranger. Anyone who tells you that you cannot join a group by the simple fact of being a ranger is someone you should immediately avoid playing with forever.

For those who say that you will not invite a ranger only by looking at the buffs they have, that is stupid too. What if you just came back from playing in PvE and still have the utilities on you and did not change them yet? It doesn’t even take 10 seconds to choose different utilities. I agree with taking a look into their builds You may need high DPS rangers for certain tasks or someone who is not squishy; but even before pointing fingers you can simply determine if they are experienced by allowing them to switch their build into something more suitable, which at the same time they should be aware of. Even the hoax of using spirits is not a suitable option to kick someone from the party, unless the spirit itself IS the cause for a failed dungeon run.

So all in all: if you suck as a player, it does not matter what you play as, you will not be welcome in locations where skill is a must. But if you kick people from groups by discriminating against what they are capable of within a profession, then you are the one who should not be allowed to be in groups less organizing any kind of groups. Why? Because players grow stronger especially from failed experiences. You cannot expect every ranger to know what they’re doing. You cannot expect to succeed every time. If you are publicly looking for groups learn the hard lessons, or do what I do and find a good guild who will not discriminate against you, rather help you be stronger.

For those of you still wondering about what skills or builds to use, it matters as long as you are contributing to your party. I go into dungeons re-traiting myself, using different weapons, using different utilities, switching pets all the time. But making conscious decisions regarding what type of players are in the party, what can I do to better support them, do I need to be full melee or full support/conditions or full burst and damage.

At the same time, learn how to work with rangers. We are a very versatile profession who can adapt to a lot, if a ranger doesn’t know, as rangers you can help. If the player doesn’t do anything about it, then tell them why you kicked them, it’s called constructive criticism for a reason. Otherwise congratulations for increasing the pool of people moving away from ranger profession due to your encouragement in that they suck, if that makes you happier then I hope someone does it back to you… repeatedly.

^^ This ^^

Kicking someone just by looking at their buffs when you invite them is absurd. Thank goodness I have not been in a group like that so far. Give me a break ….

@ OP – If you don’t run with a guild … each PUG you do a run with (that you like) ask them to add you as a friend and let you know next time they are doing an instance. Add them as well. I did this when I first started and it helped a lot. I still get dungeon invites from people I don’t even remember running with.

Also, look for a PVE guild to join … this will help your cause.

However, any group that doesn’t specify it’s a speed run and kicks you just for being a ranger … be glad you’re not in their micromanaged dungeon run.

Tarnished Coast
~ Ranger

(edited by Pendleton.6385)

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Most likely because of Pets, not the players at all, they cause no end of grief to a party, with no permanent stow option…

Especially with simin and the sparks
Lupi and his worms etc
Pets pull Alpha away etc

Even on Passive they can really really mess up a multiple hour run thanks to pets…(necro too unfortunately) and i run Ranger main too so i see the problems…

in Ranger

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

Most rangers poorly manage their pets or simply use the wrong pets for the wrong situation and it has done nothing but compound a problem that is primarily all related to misconceptions about the class and it’s damage.

In a balanced group ranger dps is on par with the best of them provided they are actually geared/built for dps.

It’s a horrible stigma and I really don’t see it getting much better until they do something that would cause actual group demand like making Zephyr a AoE buff or real dps parsing the latter I find unlikely since it’ll expose to many problems for ANet.

(edited by NeuroMuse.1763)

in Ranger

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

Iv never seen any one get kicked because of there class, tho I try to avoid group content as much as possible. I have had people leave because we weren’t all heavy classes, but never has anyone been kicked.

I for one dont care what your build is as long as I dont have to keep rezzing you.
Speaking of, zerker warriors are the only “class” I might consider kicking. These fks always seem to have such a high opinion of themselves then blame the group because they go down so easly.

I dont use cookie cutter builds and frankly I look down on any one that does.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

I find zerker warriors the most useless build for anything other then COF p1 runs

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

I think you’re overfly fond of defending genuinely problematic and lackluster mechanics/abilities. The usefulness of a swiftness-granting spirit against an encounter with frequent immobilizes and cripples is exaggerated (not to mention the frontal range of the hammer attack that’ll destroy anything in its path, including spirits), and this 70% damage figure you’re using is sheer fantasy – the frost spirit certainly does not grant a 70% damage increase.

Yeah, it’s 7%, clearly that was a typo. No need to get all upset over a typo. But, yeah, go ahead and call me a noob or whatever. I don’t really care if you miss out on 4 utilities or not, play how you want. That’s the beauty of this game.