Signet of the Hunt is still useless.

in Ranger

Posted by: Pvp.2758

Pvp.2758

Signet of the Hunt does NOT work while in combat and the active effect is terrible.

I would rather have +10% DURING combat then +25% WITHOUT combat.

Swiftness is faster than 25% and Signet of the hunt doesn’t stack with Swiftness so a Warhorn buff (which can be stored in your bag to use outside of combat will just cancel out the buff anyways).

S(KILL) Gametypes > WvW & sPVP

(edited by Pvp.2758)

in Ranger

Posted by: Jay.3284

Jay.3284

-You arn’t always in combat
-Ranger’s don’t have much swiftness moves

Dungeon Master 8/8 | Fractal 50
80Rng – 80Wa – 80Thief – 80Grd – 80Ele – 80Engi – 80Necro

in Ranger

Posted by: Luriyu.6873

Luriyu.6873

actually no…it’s nice to have if your an active roamer in WvWvW. why is this?

ranger no longer has to carry a warhorn to be fast. he doesn’t need to have swiftness to keep up with the group and can match basic thief running speed. the on use ability though should be much better (1 hit to do more damage is useless, imho, and should probably be used to add might and swiftness on pet). since the the ranger no longer has to carry a warhorn, this means he can use a different off hand which will actually increase the base-damage output (warhorn has the lowest). so you could use a torch or a dagger with a sword or axe.

the game isn’t 100% PvP all the time. signet of the hunt is useless in PvP. but in larger maps the 25% speed bonus makes travel easier, and doesn’t pigeon hold rangers into perma-swiftness.

this actually opens up much more build option for wPvE and WvW

in Ranger

Pvp.2758

If you aren’t in combat you can just put the Warhorn in your bag and swap it in to use the buff then swap it back out. If you are in combat then SotH doesn’t work and you can’t swap your warhorn in, so it’s the same thing.

in Ranger

Posted by: Cempa.5619

Cempa.5619

What are you talking about? My thief has the 25% DURING combat! Remember in combat you are slower but still faster by 25% than the other guy you are fighting.

in Ranger

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

What are you talking about? My thief has the 25% DURING combat! Remember in combat you are slower but still faster by 25% than the other guy you are fighting.

Was going to say this, the speed is noticeable. That 25% helps with getting away from mobs that normally would lock you down with regular speed. Though the thief has the benefit of swiftness on dodge if traited (would love that for rangers, heh)

That 25% makes it so painful to switch back to my ranger to do dragons.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

in Ranger

Pvp.2758

I’m pretty sure Signet of the Hunt doesn’t work while in combat.

in Ranger

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

Out of combat speed: 100%
In combat speed: ~80% (this is a rough estimate on my part but the exact amount isn’t really relevant to the point)

OoC speed with old SotH: 110%
IC speed with old SotH: ~88% (0.8 × 1.1)

OoC speed with new SotH: 125%
IC speed with new SotH: ~100% (0.8 × 1.25)

At least this one isn’t claiming the combat speed slowdown is a ‘bug’. When you add 25% of a slower base speed it’s obviously going to be slower than 25% more of a faster base speed. It’s still faster than without though.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rottaran Owain.6789

Rottaran Owain.6789

I’m pretty sure Signet of the Hunt doesn’t work while in combat.

It does work. When you enter combat though, regardless of having a speed buff, you decrease in speed by something like 30%.

in Ranger

Posted by: PsionicDingo.2065

PsionicDingo.2065

I’m hoping it’s like the way it works on Thieves. You still have the speed bonus in combat, but you do still slow down to a “combat speed”. I’m sure it’s already like that with Hunt’s 10% boost, but the 10% is hardly noticeable as is.

My psychic knife. The focused totality of my psychic powers.

in Ranger

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

I’m hoping it’s like the way it works on Thieves. You still have the speed bonus in combat, but you do still slow down to a “combat speed”. I’m sure it’s already like that with Hunt’s 10% boost, but the 10% is hardly noticeable as is.

That’s what I was thinking, I barely even notice the 10% and with the random slow downs that occur on the map (which they haven’t addressed yet) the 25% will help immensely.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Cempa.5619

Cempa.5619

10% is not doing much for me in general but 25% I can use strategically, this might be a ‘me’ issue though -talking in combat.

in Ranger

Posted by: Qixilver.3784

Qixilver.3784

I think 25% is a great start to fixing things. I’m hoping they change the active effect as well. Or maybe just lower the cd by a good bit so it could be used more often. I personally think it just lacks imagination and something else should implemented completely. Maybe something like RaO since its sigil of the HUNT. Just not on an “elite” level obviously.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

For the record me and some friends tested it, sig of hunt (currently) stacks with swiftness… And woks in combat…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

I agree with the OP

I have explored every PvE map in the game, and there is no situation where I needed a 25% speed buff outside of combat. All you will do is train more mobs onto other players or onto yourself!

Try doing a speed run through any of the Orrs maps and see how far you get. The only speed increase will be in how faster you die ..

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

in Ranger

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

I agree with the OP

I have explored every PvE map in the game, and there is no situation where I needed a 25% speed buff outside of combat. All you will do is train more mobs onto other players or onto yourself!

Try doing a speed run through any of the Orrs maps and see how far you get. The only speed increase will be in how faster you die ..

Wait… what?

First, Durzlla’s test is accurate, and I never agree with Durzlla. For Thieves using Signet of Shadows, the 25% movement speed stacks with Swiftness and works both in and out of combat.

Second: training mobs faster? Frankly, I’m a little befuddled why you consider this an issue, or more importantly, how you even arrived at this grossly inaccurate assumption.

All mobs are leashed to a fixed distance. Once they move X number of feet away from where they initially aggroed, they will return to that initial location. The greater the distance you are between them and the faster you are at gaining that distance the safer you are from taking damage. In addition, it doesn’t matter if you encounter 5 mobs in a minute or 50 mobs, if you can put distance between you and them you’ll be safe.

Whatever your argument might be, you don’t have to use the new Signet of the Hunt; but, as for the rest of us, we don’t have to outrun the mobs, we just have to outrun you!

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

@Deepwinter Oh god!! We agree on something! code red! code red! The world is actually ending this december!! slightly more ontopic though, i’m going to have soooooooo much fun booking it around the map with 100% swiftness uptime from runes of speed + sig of the hunt, try and catch me now ya kittening thives!! 65% WOOT!

in Ranger

Posted by: thrice.9184

thrice.9184

Signet of the Hunt does NOT work while in combat and the active effect is terrible.

I would rather have +10% DURING combat then +25% WITHOUT combat.

Agreed.

It means if we cant win a fight kiting is out of the question.

Ranger put into Retirement due to Anet Abuse.
9/3/13 rip

(edited by thrice.9184)

in Ranger

Posted by: racta.4250

racta.4250

the new Sig of the hunt is going to be very hard not to use.

Also for you people saying the speed out of combat is a waste, it is amazing in WvW. If you can create a little separation and break out of combat you can get away from anything. This makes it incredibly easy to outrun zergs and small groups when you are solo. It’s also permanent, so when the horn buff wears off your still moving.

It’s also great at catching people. No longer will anything get away from us since if they get far enough away, we go to super speed and catch up.

Racta
[Bush] – Dragonbrand

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

the new Sig of the hunt is going to be very hard not to use.

Also for you people saying the speed out of combat is a waste, it is amazing in WvW. If you can create a little separation and break out of combat you can get away from anything. This makes it incredibly easy to outrun zergs and small groups when you are solo. It’s also permanent, so when the horn buff wears off your still moving.

It’s also great at catching people. No longer will anything get away from us since if they get far enough away, we go to super speed and catch up.

That is, unless they buff the speedbuffs of every class, something we do not know yet!

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

@deepwinter

Yes, I know all about mob leash distances, but what you failed to understand is you need to stop at some point. Or do you just run from settlement to settlement doing nothing in between?

I don’t do PvP or WvW. I will write this again, I don’t do PvP or WvW!
So, I don’t give a toss what a Thief can or cannot do. You want to run like a Thief in WvW, then play a Thief. Problem solved!

Meanwhile the dev’s can work on fixing all the many ranger problems that actually need fixing! Sorry, but I see this SotH buff as something even more useless for PvE than the underwater weapons buff we got in the last update.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

in Ranger

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

Can’t believe people are complaining about this huge buff. Also I am pretty sure you will be 25% faster in combat than people who have no speed buff. This is the ideal kiting tool and very handy for traveling/escaping/chasing. Many rangers have asked for ranger mobility to be brought up to scratch and this is a good first step.

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Bri, it’s a PvP trait. Just don’t take it if you don’t PvP. You will never have every trait be useful for PvE and PvP otherwise there wouldn’t be any real variety and everyone would be identical.

If anything, the PvP crowd should be complaining that the trait is so good it’s compulsory at this point. You honestly don’t have a legitimate complaint imo.

in Ranger

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

Bri, it’s a PvP trait. Just don’t take it if you don’t PvP. You will never have every trait be useful for PvE and PvP otherwise there wouldn’t be any real variety and everyone would be identical.

If anything, the PvP crowd should be complaining that the trait is so good it’s compulsory at this point. You honestly don’t have a legitimate complaint imo.

I wouldn’t even classify it as a pvp only trait; the first trait I picked up on my guardian in pve was “retreat” which gives you 20 secs or so of swiftness. Running away from mobs, travelling faster for mining nodes etc, a speed increase (and gap closers) is one of the most QoL buffs you can have in any environment. Thank you devs for signaling that we will get this cool new toy.

in Ranger

Posted by: DocJDMD.5307

DocJDMD.5307

People that fail to see how good this increase is for PVE need to consider rerolling a class that plants their feet and goes toe to toe with mobs. Versatility and kiting is what playing a ranger is about. This will help make boss fights and killing regular mobs even faster, you could argue that it is a dps increase if utilized correctly with the shortbow. Positioning and repositioning is key for stacking 15-20 stacks of bleeds on a mob. This also helps with taking less damage while in melee, since many skills are frontal cone aoe. I love this new boost, I just wish I that my camera would snap around while kiting quickly, or have skills snap or ranger around to shoot while kiting with our backs to the mob. Our #3 Sb skill does this if utilized right though.

As far as pvp is concerned, this will be nice for the same reasons, plus so many more.

in Ranger

deepwinter.9015

@deepwinter

Yes, I know all about mob leash distances, but what you failed to understand is you need to stop at some point. Or do you just run from settlement to settlement doing nothing in between?

So, I don’t give a toss what a Thief can or cannot do. You want to run like a Thief in WvW, then play a Thief. Problem solved!

Meanwhile the dev’s can work on fixing all the many ranger problems that actually need fixing! Sorry, but I see this SotH buff as something even more useless for PvE than the underwater weapons buff we got in the last update.

Did I mention WvW in my post at all?

Well then, allow me to retort: What “you fail to understand is” that the new Signet of the Hunt will function very similarly to another profession’s – specifically, the Thief’s Signet of Shadow. I have a thief alt, which I’ve only taken to WvW once and world PvE the rest of the time.

“What you fail to understand is” planning ahead, clearly. You can try to skip past many mobs, if you’re trying to get from Town A to Town B; you can run past mobs if you’re moving through a pack and can get to an open area; you can look ahead, see that there’s no safe place to drop aggro and choose to fight. There are a number of choices you can do and I find your lack of basic understanding disturbing.

Lastly, “what you fail to understand is” how to choose between fight or flight. Games are about choices, and if I chose to zip past a group of mobs or fight them, I can do them both with 25% movement speed. /micdrop

Tarnished Coast

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

@deepwinter

Did I mention WvW in my post at all?

Well then, allow me to retort: What “you fail to understand is” that the new Signet of the Hunt will function very similarly to another profession’s – specifically, the Thief’s Signet of Shadow. I have a thief alt, which I’ve only taken to WvW once and world PvE the rest of the time.

“What you fail to understand is” planning ahead, clearly. You can try to skip past many mobs, if you’re trying to get from Town A to Town B; you can run past mobs if you’re moving through a pack and can get to an open area; you can look ahead, see that there’s no safe place to drop aggro and choose to fight. There are a number of choices you can do and I find your lack of basic understanding disturbing.

Lastly, “what you fail to understand is” how to choose between fight or flight. Games are about choices, and if I chose to zip past a group of mobs or fight them, I can do them both with 25% movement speed. /micdrop

Adding onto this, being a great sword ranger this is a god send in both PvE and PvP, it means that if i have SotH equipped i don’t need to use swoop to engage any max ranged enemy or else have a ton of wasted running time, or you know, become a pincushion.

And then there’s the whole it increases your run speed so kiting people with a bow becomes significantly easier thing…

EDIT: Oh yeah, there’s also the whole fact IT AFFECTS YOUR PET, so if you have sig of the hunt + swiftness + swiftness training that puts your pet at 98% movement speed increase, keep in mind if you are using a longbow 3 applies swiftness, and an additional 50% with “Sick’Em!” Oh how cute, you thought you could -escape- my pet >=D!

(edited by Durzlla.6295)

in Ranger

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

It depends how many of those movement buffs end up stacking.
Anet has had a bit of a hard-on for capping speed at +33%… so I kind of doubt that they are going to knowingly stray from that concept all of a sudden.

SoTH is just, ugh… if the activated ability wasn’t an all around worse version of assassin’s signet on a class with no high dps attacks to utilize it, yet requires a tier 3 trait to work… I would consider it worthwhile… I just can’t say I’m a fan of a utility slot for nothing but a passive ‘mostly swiftness’ and occasionally an allright buff to a bird F2 if you run a pet heavy spec…

The extra movement speed on your pet is nifty, but the main issue pets have (short of birds) is hitting moving targets, not reaching them. That and birds already throw out their own swiftness, which odds say Anet won’t knowingly let stack with signet of the hunt, meaning it won’t really help the one type of pet that could use it the most…

(edited by garethh.3518)

in Ranger

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

It’s a passive, full-time 25% movement buff both in and out of combat. It’s a perfectly good signet, so calm down.

in Ranger

Posted by: racta.4250

racta.4250

garethh is right. Pets main problem is when he stops to attack. More pet speed gives him more opportunity to “try” his attacks, which will end up in more hits by the pet.

Also SotH will enable you to not take the skirmish trait pet speed.

Off topic, I hate birds speed because of the stupid loop they have to do first. If you ever test DPS, make sure you stand a bit of a distance away (imitating a pvp environment) and calculate the pet travel time into the equation. A birds dumb swoop takes so much time to complete in a fight.

Racta
[Bush] – Dragonbrand

in Ranger

deepwinter.9015

The extra movement speed on your pet is nifty, but the main issue pets have (short of birds) is hitting moving targets…

Birds have the same issues, bro.

http://youtu.be/Qk5DiFJAtWQ

I’ve not understood how people believe that a faster moving pet will hit a moving target more frequently. They’ll still stop and attack while the target is moving out of range.

Tarnished Coast

(edited by deepwinter.9015)

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

The extra movement speed on your pet is nifty, but the main issue pets have (short of birds) is hitting moving targets…

Birds have the same issues, bro.

http://youtu.be/Qk5DiFJAtWQ

I’ve not understood how people believe that a faster moving pet will hit a moving target more frequently. They’ll still stop and attack while the target is moving out of range.

I never said that, I said you wouldn’t be able to escape him, which is all you may need to ensure the kill.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nero.4706

Nero.4706

was doing fractals (one wif harpies). the movement speed juz feels too slow while in combat. this makes it hard to jump the platforms while harpies are pwnin me…

in Ranger

deepwinter.9015

was doing fractals (one wif harpies). the movement speed juz feels too slow while in combat. this makes it hard to jump the platforms while harpies are pwnin me…

…because its still only 10% until the 14th.

Tarnished Coast

in Ranger

thrice.9184

The main reason why I think buffing the run skill fails is because. There so many other Signets that are better, Lightning reflexes not on a ranger skill bar is ludicrous…seeing how we are more squishy then gw1 rangers….

And thieves running around that love to backstab the hell outta us.

traps, QZ, hell even muddy terrain trumps, Soth.

The greatsword offers 1 escape combat skill – escaping combat situations is the only time I would even consider using this skill.

If your running from a thief forget it your done, take your lumps.

The point im trying to make is when your out of combat you run fast but once your hit….

You slow down, as a ranger exiting combat is difficult – carrying a pet makes it worse.

You have to micro manage like a boss to “try” and escape.

Stow your pet.

Quick shot, Lightning reflexes

Turn around to run,

Switch to warhorn (If your lucky enough to have it equipped) buff n go.

try to escape.

9/3/13 rip

in Ranger

Posted by: NaturalPortman.9562

NaturalPortman.9562

The main reason why I think buffing the run skill fails is because. There so many other Signets that are better, Lightning reflexes not on a ranger skill bar is ludicrous…seeing how we are more squishy then gw1 rangers….

The greatsword offers 1 escape combat skill – escaping combat situations is the only time I would even consider using this skill.

The point im trying to make is when your out of combat you run fast but once your hit….

You slow down, as a ranger exiting combat is difficult – carrying a pet makes it worse.

Stow your pet.

Turn around to run,

try to escape.

Why would you run from a thief, they shouldn’t kill you unless you built yourself like a glass cannon which you should never do as a ranger imo.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Posted by: Nero.4706

Nero.4706

its 0% when ur in combat. its actively passive only when ur off combat. so wat i meant to say is, it sld be permenantly passive (on and off combat) as long as u don’t use its active skill.

hopefully 14th patch gives us 25% passively on and off combat.

in Ranger

thrice.9184

Stow your pet.

Turn around to run,

try to escape.

Why would you run from a thief, they shouldn’t kill you unless you built yourself like a glass cannon which you should never do as a ranger imo.

Lots of people run Glasscannon and even when you dont run GC thieves have the edge.

Cloaks win the war eventually, you know this.

9/3/13 rip

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Stow your pet.

Turn around to run,

try to escape.

Lots of people run Glasscannon and even when you dont run GC thieves have the edge.

Cloaks win the war eventually, you know this.

Cloak doesn’t win the war, cloak makes the fight never end. You honestly should not die to a thief.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

its 0% when ur in combat. its actively passive only when ur off combat. so wat i meant to say is, it sld be permenantly passive (on and off combat) as long as u don’t use its active skill.

hopefully 14th patch gives us 25% passively on and off combat.

This is false, i’ve tested it, you -do- get the 10% increase in and out of combat, but 10% is just so minor that it’s hardly noticeable and when you slow down while entering combat you just don’t notice it AT ALL

in Ranger

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

So true about the pet. If you’ve got the F2 skill queued up, it will be nice to see them quickly zip up to the enemy – but then sad to see them sit still and go through the “wind up” animation to use their skill.

in Ranger

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

-You arn’t always in combat
-Ranger’s don’t have much swiftness moves

Well did they change the thing to 25% yet? (not logging in until they fix the loot issues here)

If so that’s awesome actually.

The thing tho is that those signets weren’t meant to be the same speed as swiftness buffs (33%) so I don’t see the issue here. If you mean getting away from enemies then yes that would be a problem especially in Orr.

Also, when in places like Orr you pretty much ARE in combat all the time since you’re pets aggro worse then a level 20 in a level 80 zone. It’s like everything comes after them like they have the aggro table of a level 1 or something. weird. it’s really noticable there in Orr more then anywhere. This is of course outside the issue of your pet just running off about 30 yards ahead of you and getting attacked before you can do something. Or the extremely delayed system of removing the “in battle” status when nothings hitting you or coming after you and no mobs are around. Been thru that one a ton of times on all my toons.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Ranger

Posted by: crebosh.3548

crebosh.3548

Thrice ignore portman. Its been proven an ignorant troll multiple times over.

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

Thrice ignore portman. Its been proven an ignorant troll multiple times over.

I don’t troll on here. I honestly don’t know how you die to thieves other than in a 2v1 situation, I can’t even use my build argument here either. All of the popular ranger builds atm hard counter thieves easy.

(im a girl btw)

in Ranger

crebosh.3548

plz just stop trying to anger the community

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Please just accept you’re not as good at ranger as you think you are. Just because -you- can’t kill a thief doesn’t mean others can’t, i sure as hell have no issues dropping thieves, then again i have half the brain to either be super offensive and keep attacking them when they stealth, or run very very far away from them so they can’t open on me.

in Ranger

thrice.9184

i sure as hell have no issues dropping thieves, then again i have half the brain to either be super offensive and keep attacking them when they stealth, or run very very far away from them so they can’t open on me.

Videos or it didnt happen.

9/3/13 rip

(edited by thrice.9184)

in Ranger

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

There so many other Signets that are better, Lightning reflexes not on a ranger skill bar is ludicrous…seeing how we are more squishy then gw1 rangers….

I hardly ever run into a situation where LR is worth a slot. Almost everyone brings immobilize as their lockdown skill, not stun. Probably because everyone knows Stability and LR is ineffective vs immobilize. If they fixed that it would be soooooo worth it.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Ranger

crebosh.3548

Please just accept you’re not as good at ranger as you think you are. Just because -you- can’t kill a thief doesn’t mean others can’t, i sure as hell have no issues dropping thieves, then again i have half the brain to either be super offensive and keep attacking them when they stealth, or run very very far away from them so they can’t open on me.

I love how telling someone to stop saying you should NEVER die to a thief equals I’m a bad player who always dies to thieves. All you self proclaimed pros who keep telling the community that your their god learn from you have the worst habit of assumption. If you can say I NEVER die to a thief you’re jut plain ignorant. The game is at a point people know its flaws. Yes they are over exaggerated and if you look you will find good and bad suggestions for all classes. The point however still stands. You are not the ranger god, you are not a dev, and you are not unbeatable so stop telling people otherwise.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nashaan.3160

Nashaan.3160

I agree with the OP

I can speed run through ML and CS from ori node to ori node and not fight or die on all of my chars (ranger, warrior, mesmer, guardian & thief) the easiest one and the fastest one to do it on is thief with the 25% speed. The only time I will stop and fight is if I accidentally train someone (usually if I see someone I will take a wide berth so as not to train them)