Signet of the Wild - 8 Seconds Unblockable

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

If they decide to eat the full damage of our burst after we’ve suddenly grown in size they have no one to blame but themselves.

It’s like maul. SotW and maul have got to be the 2 biggest tells in the entire game. Maybe kill shot is ahead of one or the other. Anything bad coming from those if you aren’t CCd is your own fault.

And I write this knowing that I eat mauls all the time…

in Ranger

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Catching people with it unaware is the most OP thing about it. Make it a patch note so everyone knows it can do this and it’s suddenly not a problem.

8 seconds of utility on a 60 sec cooldown (while sacrificing the passive) really isn’t OP. It’s honestly a nice QoL buff and it’ll be a real shame to see it reverted.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kaizoku.1298

Kaizoku.1298

Well it depends on your build, I use the signet CD reduction trait and SotW on 50% hp trait, and then the other signet that gives you movement speed on passive and 50% damage on your next attack if you activate it.
My mauls deal 8-10k easily if I land with the 50% damage buff and 5-6k without. You can’t block it, you either blind. dodge or proc invuln skills. 3sec CD on maul btw.

Now, I change my pet to wolf/hound so it will do the knockdown skill, right before my pet lands the knockdown skill I use the 50% damage signet and I maul them. IF I get blinded, my pet will still deal 6k and I will still have another chance to land maul but without 50% since it only has a 3sec CD and SotW is 8 seconds + another one at 50% hp.

in Ranger

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Catching people with it unaware is the most OP thing about it. Make it a patch note so everyone knows it can do this and it’s suddenly not a problem.

8 seconds of utility on a 60 sec cooldown (while sacrificing the passive) really isn’t OP. It’s honestly a nice QoL buff and it’ll be a real shame to see it reverted.

The closest Skill that has Signet of the Wild is Signet of Might and that only gives 6 seconds of unblockable and doesn’t have all the other Rider effects like Stability, Damage increase and movement speed. This is clearly a bug that needs to be squashed, the fact that it has been in game so long amazes me. They really need to get their bug fixes shipped out fast.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

The closest Skill that has Signet of the Wild is Signet of Might and that only gives 6 seconds of unblockable and doesn’t have all the other Rider effects like Stability, Damage increase and movement speed. This is clearly a bug that needs to be squashed, the fact that it has been in game so long amazes me. They really need to get their bug fixes shipped out fast.

Signet of Might also has less than half the cooldown and no cast time…..

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in Ranger

BlaqueFyre.5678

Yeah let’s see again a skill that gives 5 stacks of Stability, 50%movement increase and 25% damage increase yes that is perfect for the 1 second cast time and 60 sec CD adding 8 secs of unblockable is the stupidest thing ever, they would have to increase the CD by at least 20 secs minimum for the sake of consistency since a 6 sec unblockable is 25 CD.

This is a Bug and should have been fixed shortly after it was found.

in Ranger

Jim Hunter.6821

Yeah let’s see again a skill that gives 5 stacks of Stability, 50%movement increase and 25% damage increase yes that is perfect for the 1 second cast time and 60 sec CD adding 8 secs of unblockable is the stupidest thing ever, they would have to increase the CD by at least 20 secs minimum for the sake of consistency since a 6 sec unblockable is 25 CD.

Wut….
If you’re trying to make it sound OP you failed.
1 sec cast time, more than double the cooldown of SoM, and a huge tell (literally). And since rangers damage scales so poorly the 25% damage boost still isn’t going to fully down anything that isn’t 100% glass (not even then in most classes).

Let’s also keep in mind rangers high damage skills are rapid fire which is a 2.5 second channel (unless you are sleeping you should be able to dodge and avoid at least half the damage), Maul which is the most telegraphed weapon skill in the game, and whirling defense which roots the ranger in place.

My 3k armor warrior dishes out higher burst with an unblockable gunflame/decapitate than a glass ranger does, unless the ranger blows every damage modifier they have, even then the damage is pretty comparable.

LGN

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

People saying it’s such a bad skill the unblockable bug/feature (whatever) might as just stay is out their mind. If it was instant cast, I would without a doubt run it (as it is intended to be) in my Remorseless build. I already bring it occasionally despite the cast time.

Other classes need a nerf to the absurd amount of blocks and projectile hate they have. Especially the traited, passive ones. Especially the warrior. That’s the real fix this game needs. Not band aid like this. SotW could do with removing the growth effect (Maul and Rapid Fire animation is enough a tell as it is), reducing the cast time and perhaps a buff to the signet trait itself.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

in Ranger

BlaqueFyre.5678

Wut….
1 sec cast time, more than double the cooldown of SoM, and a huge tell (literally). And since rangers damage scales so poorly the 25% damage boost still isn’t going to fully down anything that isn’t 100% glass (not even then in most classes).

Let’s also keep in mind rangers high damage skills are rapid fire which is a 2.5 second channel (unless you are sleeping you should be able to dodge and avoid at least half the damage), Maul which is the most telegraphed weapon skill in the game, and whirling defense which roots the ranger in place.

My 3k armor warrior dishes out higher burst with an unblockable gunflame/decapitate than a glass ranger does, unless the ranger blows every damage modifier they have, even then the damage is pretty comparable.

I really can’t believe you can be defending a blatant Bug with a skill, you must rely on it a lot. Ermergherd 1 second cast time with a lot of effects would be nice if other one sec Cast time abilities had so many affects on them. It’s kind of pathetic when people try to defend Bugs.

in Ranger

Jim Hunter.6821

Wut….

I really can’t believe you can be defending a blatant Bug with a skill, you must rely on it a lot. Ermergherd 1 second cast time with a lot of effects would be nice if other one sec Cast time abilities had so many affects on them. It’s kind of pathetic when people try to defend Bugs.

……..so just to be clear, your complaint isn’t about rangers finally getting an unblockable attack to counter all the projectile hate that HoT added, your complaint is that a skill can do more than 1 thing……

Well if you really have a problem with skills having multiple effects good luck with your crusade against them because every profession has a ton of them. You’ve got your work cut out for you if you want to convince anet to change them all.

LGN

in Ranger

BlaqueFyre.5678

Wut….

……..so just to be clear, your complaint isn’t about rangers finally getting an unblockable attack to counter all the projectile hate that HoT added, your complaint is that a skill can do more than 1 thing……

Well if you really have a problem with skills having multiple effects good luck with your crusade against them because every profession has a ton of them. You’ve got your work cut out for you if you want to convince anet to change them all.

Nope the problem is people whining and defending blatant bugs, when they obviously don’t care about actual balance.

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

defending blatant bugs

I’ve missed the dev response to the SotW issue, and would like to read it. Please share a link, thanks.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

BlaqueFyre.5678

defending blatant bugs

I’ve missed the dev response to the SotW issue, and would like to read it. Please share a link, thanks.

How about the fact the unblockable is not listed, has never been listed in any patch notes? Or do you need something to clearly spell things out for you every step of the way?

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

defending blatant bugs

Exactly! I think it is intended. It came at the same time Ranger was given unblockable pet attacks with call of the wild. I mean, the signet morphs you into a supersized 12ft giant.

Good luck blocking that!

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in Ranger

OGDeadHead.8326

defending blatant bugs

How about the fact the unblockable is not listed, has never been listed in any patch notes? Or do you need something to clearly spell things out for you every step of the way?

I kindly repeat my request, since things like this have happend before – changes that got implemented but missed both patchnotes and tooltips to reflect the change. You can’t have been around long if you deny that. Please note I only ask for official clarification.

So how about it – a link to a dev responding about this? Or better yet, a dev stepping in here and settle this once and for all.

(edited by OGDeadHead.8326)

in Ranger

Jim Hunter.6821

Nope the problem is people whining…..

Yeah the whining is pretty annoying, maybe you should just take a break from posting so we don’t have to hear any more.

LGN

in Ranger

BlaqueFyre.5678

Yeah the whining is pretty annoying, maybe you should just take a break from posting so we don’t have to hear any more.

Yeah I am whining so much when all i have stated was for Anet to fix a bug since there is no proof showing it is intended, but nice attempt at a redirection, but that’s all we will ever get from players like you that defend bugs to be relevant. Eww the salt is real with you.

in Ranger

Jim Hunter.6821

Yeah I am whining so much when all i have stated was for Anet to fix a bug since there is no proof showing it is intended, but nice attempt at a redirection, but that’s all we will ever get from players like you that defend bugs to be relevant. Eww the salt is real with you.

Lol okay buddy.
I’m just going to refer you back to OGDeadHead’s last post.
You take care now.

LGN

in Ranger

BlaqueFyre.5678

Lol okay buddy.
I’m just going to refer you back to OGDeadHead’s last post.
You take care now.

Oh ok, there is no proof in his post, there is clearly a lack there of, and if we go with his argument, Anet has recently as in the last couple Quarters been quick to fix patch note and Tool Tip discrepancies. So the lack of then doing that points even further to it being a bug.

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

This thread…

-Its a bug if its intended to be new unblockable buff but doesn’t have the skill fact.
-Its a bug if its not intended to be new unblockable buff.

I don’t really understand why its so hard for people to see the problems of this skill.
Its as if “Strength of the Pack!” and “Sic ’Em!” had a child that grew up to be an astronaut.

The skill will never survive as is…

in Ranger

OGDeadHead.8326

Oh ok, there is no proof in his post, there is clearly a lack there of, and if we go with his argument, Anet has recently as in the last couple Quarters been quick to fix patch note and Tool Tip discrepancies. So the lack of then doing that points even further to it being a bug.

I agree with this, Anet have been quicker to fix these things than they used to be. Look, I’m not arguing for or against this being a bug or not, all I asked for was some official response on the matter.

For example:

FYI the unblockable portion is a confirmed bug. ANET did not allow rangers to use it during the most recent TOL.

I’d like to see the official info about this, if available. Don’t mistake my request for info as a for or against argument.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

Would this functionality not make more sense for Signet of the Hunt?

If they’re going to get rid of this change/bug in the near future it might be nice to have the functionality shifted to a different skill rather than being removed entirely from the ranger’s skill set.

I used to think that was the right skill for it, I’m sure if I dug through my post history I could find several posts suggesting that, but now I think it works nicely on SotW.

SotW offers a very obvious tell for our opponents, plus the cooldown makes it hard to argue that it is OP when you compare it to similar skills like signet of might. If they decide to eat the full damage of our burst after we’ve suddenly grown in size they have no one to blame but themselves.

Still I wouldn’t be opposed to it going on SotH as long as it kept the 30 sec cooldown and remained insta cast. They’d probably have to drop the unblockable duration to 6 sec though.

Those are fair points alright. I certainly wouldn’t want to trade the short cooldown instant cast of SotH either hehe.

I suppose I just worry that when it gets taken away (I’m feeling pessimistic right now) they’ll never revisit the idea of adding something similar to rangers.

in Ranger

BlaqueFyre.5678

I agree with this, Anet have been quicker to fix these things than they used to be. Look, I’m not arguing for or against this being a bug or not, all I asked for was some official response on the matter.

For example:

FYI the unblockable portion is a confirmed bug. ANET did not allow rangers to use it during the most recent TOL.

I’d like to see the official info about this, if available. Don’t mistake my request for info as a for or against argument.

The best that can be found on this unless Devs stated on anything on Reddit for the ToL, Edit here is the Link

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

For example:

The best that can be found on this unless Devs stated on anything on Reddit for the ToL, Edit here is the Link

Well, as long as we’re being pedants about everything it should be said that this is not an official statement.

That’s a call by the tournament sponsors on account that the SoTW change isn’t a patch note, ergo, ‘unintended’.

The fact that the tournament sponsors had to make such a call means they don’t know if it’s intended or not and err’d on the side of caution.

It follows that if there was a patch note or mention by an official source as a change to the skill’s function, it likely wouldn’t have been banned from use.

Until we get official word, who’s to say it’s not simply an undocumented change?

But seriously… most people here aren’t arguing the semantics of the change being classified as a bug. The change intended or otherwise, adds something new to the skill.

IMO, it’s on the level of a minor QoL thing. I like it. But I certainly don’t believe 8 seconds of utility on a ~52-60 sec CD is OP.

You sacrifice the passive on top of all that, and it has a huge tell. Literally.

A giant Mario coin pops up over your enemy’s head basically begging you “interrupt me!!” and failing that, you can tell the person is unblockable because they hulked out.

Failing all that, it’s in their status bar and counting to 8 isn’t very hard. You don’t have to agree with me and you’re free to argue it’s OP as it is.

But no one here except you is honestly arguing on the semantics of it’s classification and that’s a foolish place to make your stand because we simply don’t know.

Unless you’re going to follow up with official word from Anet, I’d suggest a more practical argument that isn’t grounded in baseless conjecture.

in Ranger

Posted by: DerJoker.9081

DerJoker.9081

In my opinion, we have two possible options.
1. SotW will be “nerfed”, meaning the bug that makes it unblockable atm will be removed. That would make the Longbow<—>SotW-combination a bit weaker, everything returns to “normal”

or, even better

2. it will change from 8 seconds unblockable towards a number of attacks that will become unblockable, like signet of strength on the Warrior for example. In this combination, a longbow would not be the weapon of choice, because their burst attack (looking at you, rapidfire) is a 10-hit-skill, which would drain all stacks quite fast

I would prefer the second option, as it would not make the signet too strong, but also buffing it up a bit, it could see some use in pup/wvw. 8 seconds unblockable is too long.

That, coming back to the real topic now, would call in for a weapon with some “big hits” that are either highdamage on a low cd, or some kind of stun, immob, etc. THAT would call for the greatsword. It doesnt shine atm, cause its slow and the animations are obvious. With SotW giving it 5 (or any fitting, not OP Number) unblockable attacks, it could be used as a setup for bursting, baiting dodges (only way to mitigate the dmg, cause its unblockable) or running through some of the DH´s, Revs, War’s, Thief´s, Mesmer´s or Engi´s blocks with Hilt Bash for example. It wouldnt be a braindead, easy-to-play skill, but it could also be countered, by not wasting your dodges, etc etc. Also, the ranger could become a more melee orientated class, that would not have to rely on evades and heals to run into group fights without dying so fast. that wouldnt make is support role worse, but ranger could also see some uses as a warlock (im thinking of lot of stuns, soft and hard cc) that, with the right timing, could see some use together with an ele and/or mesmer maybe.

Anyways. That signet is, imo, not op, by being unblockable. BUT with the amount of quickness some ranger/druid builds stack up, 8 seconds are a lot of time. Even if you can evade or interrupt this (its surely possible, if you see a ranger with SotW just safe 1 dodge or any invuln, stealth, etc.) it could still be a bit (NOT OP OR SO SO KITTEN STRONG, just a very tiny bit) to strong. I think a number of attacks will be useful, instead of a fixed amount of seconds.

“Signet of the Wild
Passive: Heals you and your pet every second (I think its 86 per sec, or st)
Active: Receive 5 stacks stability, become lager (this is your "OUHA, hes up to something-button), your pet deals 25% more dmg. (From here its “new”) Your next 5 attacks will deal 25% more dmg and will be unblockable. (Maximum time you stay unblockable and do 25% more dmg: 10 seconds)

What do you think?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kaizoku.1298

Kaizoku.1298

“on top of that, you lose the passive effect!”
80-ish regen kappa big deal

in Ranger

OGDeadHead.8326

“Signet of the Wild
Passive: Heals you and your pet every second (I think its 86 per sec, or st)
Active: Receive 5 stacks stability, become lager (this is your "OUHA, hes up to something-button), your pet deals 25% more dmg. (From here its “new”) Your next 5 attacks will deal 25% more dmg and will be unblockable. (Maximum time you stay unblockable and do 25% more dmg: 10 seconds)

What do you think?

To keep it in line with all other ranger signets (with the exception of the bas7ard signet “Signet of Renewal”) all effects should apply to both ranger and pet, meaning if you get unblockable attacks, so should your pet.

(edited by OGDeadHead.8326)

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

While not add an invulernable effect while at it. And keep on 60s, ofc.

You’re crazy if you think a loaded skill like that is healthy for the balancing in this game. Tone stuff down, don’t add kitten like this. Make block skills more thoughtful, then we don’t need a ton of anti-blocks in the first place.

The signets just need fine tuning, and the signet trait needs more thought.

in Ranger

Posted by: Halmon.5914

Halmon.5914

I don’t know if someone noticed, but in the traits of marksmanship Clarion Bond casting Call of the Wild doesn’t make attacks unblockable. ROM was streaming with that choice and then i checked it with a friend… So the broken signet makes unblockable, proper skill not Meh, i don’t wanna be forced back to a bunker druid.

(edited by Halmon.5914)

in Ranger

Posted by: UmbraNoctis.1907

UmbraNoctis.1907

Clarion Bond makes only the pet unblockable – which is what it is supposed to do.

in Ranger

Posted by: Halmon.5914

Halmon.5914

Oh, thank you I obviously can’t read

in Ranger

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Well Anet just confirmed in the pvp forum that it is a bug and they are currently looking for a fix.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds