Smokescale F2 now switched back again

in Ranger

Posted by: Eirh.1439

Eirh.1439

It wasn’t in the patch notes but still part of the patch, you can easily see it for yourself ingame. I’m not sure if the Smoke Assault damage was reduced as Irenio mentioned might happen in the other thread. The wiki doesn’t really have the old damage numbers.

Semper Concordia [SC]
Abaddons Mouth

in Ranger

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

Yep, first thing i’ve checked after patch.
It’s working fluently!=)

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

oh thank god. Now they only need to bring back the old bristleback skill.
It is true it wasn’t good but having the burst in the F2 skill is just awfull.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: Eirh.1439

Eirh.1439

There is some weird behaviour I noticed though. If you switch out the smokescale you can’t blast the field anymore even though it’s still shown being around. Testing a bit shows that it’s the same with the wyvern fields. Pretty much destroys possible clarion bond synergies. I will submit a report in the bug forums and ingame.

Semper Concordia [SC]
Abaddons Mouth

in Ranger

Posted by: LegallyBinding.4937

LegallyBinding.4937

Bummer. Won’t use this pet anymore.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lettuce.2945

Lettuce.2945

Working fluently? It doesn’t even blind now.

in Ranger

Posted by: Photinous.4628

Photinous.4628

This sucks, now the pet has 0 burst capability.

in Ranger

Posted by: Photinous.4628

Photinous.4628

It also feels like the damage on smoke assault has been nerfed too…

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

I think they made changes to the damage and CD of the skill. Now its on 16 sec CD.

in Ranger

Lettuce.2945

This is what changed. F2 is now a smoke field that actually doesn’t blind. (LOL). Assault got reduced from 24 seconds to 16 seconds. But it now hits 5 times instead of 7. So it got slight damage nerf. And you can’t control the burst now in conjunction with your other burst skills.

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

Yep the blind is missing would be amazing if we could keep the blind in the skill.

You can blast the field to get stealth.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: bloodpyrope.8630

bloodpyrope.8630

The smokefield never blinded in the first place, all it did was make your pet take no damage.

The assault nerf kinda sucked, but you have to admit there were rangers who were basically sitting on nodes, tanking damage and letting the smokescale kill their opponents for them. However, I don’t see why they had to change the hits from 7 to 5. They could’ve just shaved the damage down some more.

And finally, no more accidentally losing your cap because your smokescale dropped the field and your ele blasts it stealthing ALL your teammates causing you to lose the node.

in Ranger

Lettuce.2945

The smokefield never blinded in the first place, all it did was make your pet take no damage.

The assault nerf kinda sucked, but you have to admit there were rangers who were basically sitting on nodes, tanking damage and letting the smokescale kill their opponents for them. However, I don’t see why they had to change the hits from 7 to 5. They could’ve just shaved the damage down some more.

And finally, no more accidentally losing your cap because your smokescale dropped the field and your ele blasts it stealthing ALL your teammates causing you to lose the node.

Wrong. It did blind. We aren’t talking about the pve smoke scale. We are talking about OURS. It has blinded everything in its smoke field since beta weekend 3. Stop spewing facts you know nothing about. It’s bugged. Don’t F this up because you’re a ranger hater.

in Ranger

Posted by: Hepatolith.6389

Hepatolith.6389

Wrong. It did blind. We aren’t talking about the pve smoke scale. We are talking about OURS. It has blinded everything in its smoke field since beta weekend 3. Stop spewing facts you know nothing about. It’s bugged. Don’t F this up because you’re a ranger hater.

It was a bug if it blinded yeah, it was never meant to blind though.

Cayline Oakheart, Ranger – Drakkar Lake
Covenant of Bloodthirst [IvsI],
Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Lettuce.2945

A smoke field itself is meant to blind lol…engi bomb kit 4, thief smokescreen, black powder, etc…all smoke fields and guess what…they blind!

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

Why? ¯\(?)

in Ranger

bloodpyrope.8630

Are you sure? Cause before the change I’ve dropped it before and I could’ve sworn all it did was take no damage while it was in the field. Was it actually applying the blind condition?

As for ranger hater….you’re upset dude, but no reason to toss accusations around like that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

I made some tests, F2 barrage is way better because over all damage from bristle bleed wasnt that effective on my condi ranger. They just need to fix aiming issue and it will be amazing. Swapping would only hide the issue of Barrage ^^

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

in Ranger

Posted by: Hepatolith.6389

Hepatolith.6389

A smoke field itself is meant to blind lol…engi bomb kit 4, thief smokescreen, black powder, etc…all smoke fields and guess what…they blind!

Just because every smokefield has a blind component to it which has an extra mention in the tool tip does NOT mean a smokefield HAS to blind

Cayline Oakheart, Ranger – Drakkar Lake
Covenant of Bloodthirst [IvsI],
Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Lettuce.2945

Are you sure? Cause before the change I’ve dropped it before and I could’ve sworn all it did was take no damage while it was in the field. Was it actually applying the blind condition?

As for ranger hater….you’re upset dude, but no reason to toss accusations around like that.

100% sure. I’ve tested Druid extensively. Even shadowfall asked me for input on Druid during bwe3 since he didn’t have HoT and a Dev asked him for feedback on it. So yeah, I paid attention to everything and I’m a dueler. I’ve mained ranger for a while. So even if we didn’t have access to new pets during BWE3, I tested every other portion of Druid. It has always blinded in the smoke field. It’s gone now. Even my guildies noticed its disappearance. It’s not just me.

(edited by Lettuce.2945)

in Ranger

Manekk.6981

Just because every smokefield has a blind component to it which has an extra mention in the tool tip does NOT mean a smokefield HAS to blind

Pretty sure it was mentioned it was supposed to blind but that it didn’t was the bug.

in Ranger

Posted by: nakedziggy.3187

nakedziggy.3187

Wow. You fools with all your crying ruined an excellent burst skill……..

in Ranger

Lettuce.2945

Pretty sure it was mentioned it was supposed to blind but that it didn’t was the bug.

Just stop talking. You’re clearly a troll. Every smoke field in this game has blind to it. And it’s not an “extra”. That’s the actual POINT of a smoke field and blasting it for stealth .

in Ranger

Posted by: JKatz.1230

JKatz.1230

Some of you are using Beastmastery and giving out the wrong cd number. Both Smoke Field and Smoke Assault cd are 20s, with Beastmastery are 16s.

Smoke Assault does less damage than some F2 now and the Field doesn’t feel like doing anything. Overall the change make the pet less fun to use now.

IGN: Mint Elbolt (Asura Ranger)

in Ranger

LegallyBinding.4937

Completely ruined a great pet, especially to the more casual of GW2’s player base. Most casuals probably don’t even know what a smoke field is.

in Ranger

bloodpyrope.8630

100% sure. I’ve tested Druid extensively. Even shadowfall asked me for input on Druid during bwe3 since he didn’t have HoT and a Dev asked him for feedback on it. So yeah, I paid attention to everything and I’m a dueler. I’ve mained ranger for a while. So even if we didn’t have access to new pets during BWE3, I tested every other portion of Druid. It has always blinded in the smoke field. It’s gone now. Even my guildies noticed its disappearance. It’s not just me.

What about after BWE? For like the few days when we had it? Causes that’s when I started extensively testing it and I didn’t notice it applying blind condis. I was testing out a trap ranger build and was hoping the blinds would help me on point before realize it didn’t actually blind.

Anyways, I know who you are. I used to duel you, Diccoco and Min Kun when I first started. Thought you mained ele though.

in Ranger

Lettuce.2945

What about after BWE? For like the few days when we had it? Causes that’s when I started extensively testing it and I didn’t notice it applying blind condis. I was testing out a trap ranger build and was hoping the blinds would help me on point before realize it didn’t actually blind.

Anyways, I know who you are. I used to duel you, Diccoco and Min Kun when I first started. Thought you mained ele though.

I did for a while. And it just got too ez mode so I focused more on ranger, thief and warrior. Mained ranger for about 6 months now. And yeah, it did blind. Trust me on this one. Even min noticed the lack of blinds too.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

There was an entire uncourteously titled thread with a whole lot of kittening demanding changes and even after those changes took effect people still kitten.
Good lord, welcome to the internet.

I suppose my two cents:

• The Bristleback has a perfectly decent burst skill, people can fall back on that.
  • The smoke field provided by the Smokescale should blind just like any other smoke field. If it doesn’t (haven’t tested myself), I suspect it’s a bug. Give them time to fix it.
  • Staff 3 still puts me in combat. I am le sad. =(

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

in Ranger

LegallyBinding.4937

Bristleback burst would be fine if it worked. Literally none of the HoT pets are worth a kitten now.

in Ranger

bloodpyrope.8630

I did for a while. And it just got too ez mode so I focused more on ranger, thief and warrior. Mained ranger for about 6 months now. And yeah, it did blind. Trust me on this one. Even min noticed the lack of blinds too.

Then the blinds disappearing from smokefield happened when they swapped smokefield and smoke assault around the first time. Cause I dueled my buddy a few days ago and he definitely did not get blinded from the random drop. I’m pretty positive on this because he blamed his loss on my pet dropping the field on him, I told him the field didn’t blind and we spend like 5 minutes scrolling through the combat logs trying to find the part where he got blinded, but he was blinded by a lingering light instead.

in Ranger

Lettuce.2945

Then the blinds disappearing from smokefield happened when they swapped smokefield and smoke assault around the first time. Cause I dueled my buddy a few days ago and he definitely did not get blinded from the random drop. I’m pretty positive on this because he blamed his loss on my pet dropping the field on him, I told him the field didn’t blind and we spend like 5 minutes scrolling through the combat logs trying to find the part where he got blinded, but he was blinded by a lingering light instead.

Nah I know it blinds because I’ve used it defensively and used it to leap through with sword 2. I’ve stood in it under pressure and definitely noticed the blind ticks on my opponents. Maybe it’s because you have multiple blinds stacked that you don’t notice. For example, BM trait, lingering lights, projectiles through smoke field, and the smoke field itself. You just probably didn’t notice it because it continuously applied. Make sense?

in Ranger

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

In my opinion to the worse. Combofield blind sure, but most things on higher maps are immune to blind….. Better to have things that actually bites on the enemies as active skills.

Kima & Co

in Ranger

bloodpyrope.8630

Nah I know it blinds because I’ve used it defensively and used it to leap through with sword 2. I’ve stood in it under pressure and definitely noticed the blind ticks on my opponents. Maybe it’s because you have multiple blinds stacked that you don’t notice. For example, BM trait, lingering lights, projectiles through smoke field, and the smoke field itself. You just probably didn’t notice it because it continuously applied. Make sense?

…this is so weird and this is probably never going to get resolved. It def wasn’t stacking since I was running the shout trait and wasn’t using LB. The only blind source I would’ve had would’ve been lingering light. Unless my throw torch just so happened to be the projectile that blinded him.

Either way, the tooltip never mentioned blind like all the other smokefields in the game. It’s plausible Anet had it removed because of that and the skill is now “working as intended” and the prior iterations were all bugs.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Really happy about this. I wasn’t expecting it to get fixed for months.

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

What are you guys on about? The smokefield most definitely works as a regular smokefiled – it blinds when shooting projectiles through it.

In other words, it’s working perfectly.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Smoke_field

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: oshilator.4681

oshilator.4681

Awesome to see this get changed back to a good utility we can use.

Headdesk

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

You do realise you have to combo a smokefield to get blinds out of it, right? As in projectile or whirl finishers.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

bloodpyrope.8630

You do realise you have to combo a smokefield to get blinds out of it, right? As in projectile or whirl finishers.

Lettuce was saying before, you could F2 and it would blind without any modifiers. Like Thief’s pistol5 or blinding powder.

I’m saying this was not the case. You had to shoot projectiles/whirl to get the blinds.

I have no idea who is right at this point. Does anyone else remember?

Edit: For the record, I’m not opposing adding a blind component to the current smoke field. I’d be very happy if it did it as well.

(edited by bloodpyrope.8630)

in Ranger

LegallyBinding.4937

Pet is useless now.

in Ranger

Posted by: Koja.5169

Koja.5169

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but while the burst output of Smoke Assault was lowered, its dps in PvE probably remains pretty much the same.

The cooldown was reduced from 24 to 16 seconds, meaning the Smokescale can use Smoke Assault 50% more often. A reduction in the number of hits from 7 to 5 is only a damage drop of 29% per cast unless the damage of the individual hits was also reduced. That results in a dps increase from Smoke Assault of about 7%.

The pet will spend effectively 50% more time using this ability if it’s activated on cooldown, resulting in an opportunity cost vs. using one of its other auto-attacks, so this slight increase in total Smoke Assault damage over time is probably a wash insofar as overall dps is concerned.

I don’t think PvE players should be worried about that change (though Smokescale dps has actually never been particulary good — stick with a cat or a bristleback). PvP players, on the other hand, were pretty much shafted.

in Ranger

Manekk.6981

Just stop talking. You’re clearly a troll. Every smoke field in this game has blind to it. And it’s not an “extra”. That’s the actual POINT of a smoke field and blasting it for stealth .

Untwist your knickers I’m just saying it was reported (I don’t know how many updates ago) to not give blind and that I seem to recall some dev saying this is a bug and that it’s supposed to blind, geeez…

in Ranger

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I don’t understand the complaining. Now the pet has your Smoke Assault on a shorter time with all the old benefits. And now you can control the Smoke Field.

Useless?

From what I’ve seen, now the pet rocks harder than ever. And yes, the blind work in concert with your attacks. . . . Again, perfect!

Edit: Exactly what Koja said!

Gone to Reddit.

in Ranger

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

Dear complaining guys, you got blind spam combined with Axe.

Dear Devs, thanks you very much.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ofir.2405

Ofir.2405

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but while the burst output of Smoke Assault was lowered, its dps in PvE probably remains pretty much the same.

The cooldown was reduced from 24 to 16 seconds, meaning the Smokescale can use Smoke Assault 50% more often. A reduction in the number of hits from 7 to 5 is only a damage drop of 29% per cast unless the damage of the individual hits was also reduced. That results in a dps increase from Smoke Assault of about 7%.

The pet will spend effectively 50% more time using this ability if it’s activated on cooldown, resulting in an opportunity cost vs. using one of its other auto-attacks, so this slight increase in total Smoke Assault damage over time is probably a wash insofar as overall dps is concerned.

I don’t think PvE players should be worried about that change (though Smokescale dps has actually never been particulary good — stick with a cat or a bristleback). PvP players, on the other hand, were pretty much shafted.

It was reduced to 16 second only if you take beastmastery trait line. Otherwise, its 20 second CD.

Edit: not sure if it was 24 seconds with or without beastmastery. If it was with that trait line then you are right.

in Ranger

Posted by: Irenio CalmonHuang

Irenio CalmonHuang

Game Designer

The number of strikes was reduced from 7 to 5 and the cooldown on Smoke Assault was reduced from 24s to 20s, the damage on the strikes was not reduced

in Ranger

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

thanks you, Irenio. very nice to see this changed back so quickly. i can now use this pet again in pve.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

bloodpyrope.8630

I don’t even know who cares anymore, but as of 10/30, the smokefield from the smokescale did not blind. Did it blind before the F2 swap, I don’t have proof (yet). But here was a screenshot of me and my buddy testing out all the different smokescale attacks. This was how we found out takedown was going through blocks and he had to sit in a million auto attacks and smokefield was one of the many.

Note, he did not get blinded from the start to the finish.

Attachments:

in Ranger

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

IT NEVER BLINDED, PEOPLE.

… I still want tengu.

in Ranger

Posted by: Khael.7325

Khael.7325

I didn’t play the beta, but since release the smokefield never had a blind. It makes your pet avoid all attacks while he’s in it and is great for combos, but that’s it. I specifically remember being confused because it didn’t blind and I was expecting it to.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

The number of strikes was reduced from 7 to 5 and the cooldown on Smoke Assault was reduced from 24s to 20s, the damage on the strikes was not reduced

That is great! Not a nerf at all. A reduction in burst total, but shorter CD F2s and #3 skills are far better. Time wise, it now aligns better with pet swapping.

Nice work Irenio, Cheers!