So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

I completely disaggree with “So 1v1 Ranger is a joke”!

If a ranger uses his your brain (instead of instant panicking) and combo his way trough the skills 1vs1 is very easy and almost a as easy as putting a knife trough butter.

With full Exo Berserker’s gear (guilds back with exo gem), Superior rune of Rage and Superior sigil of Force on both weapons:

My traits: 30-30-5-0-5
in marksman —> I / VI / X
Skirmishing --> II / IV / X

WvW
1) Rampage as one & proc petskill f2 ( in my case passive Red moa buff)
2) Hunters Shot (point blank shot if the enemy is already close to you)
3) Quickening zephyr
4) Rapid Fire
5) Weapon swap and poisson volley
6) Quickshot
7) finish with crossfire and petswap (for quickness provided by 5 points BM)
8) No hits taken and enemy downed

At point 5) you’ll already done 15K of dmg (maybe 17 when flanked) and can easely finish with shortbow without putting alot of effort into it.

*Only downthing is —> since full dmg specced you will have to stay in the background because ure pretty much a glass canon. When a enemy becomes closer you WILL have to kite your way around him with the shortbow, luckely we have a cripple, stun and jumpback skill on this weapon.

Just my 2 copper,
Yvilthi

I don’t think this is a good 1vs1 build for pvp. A thief, if the least bit good, will destroy you, and you won’t get past point (1) before dying. One immobilize for this build will ruin your day completely.

Looks good for WvW where you can stay out of danger a bit or if you have a good team to support you though.

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: Cristian.8069

Cristian.8069

I play WvW and the only class i have trouble against in 1vs1 it’s the mesmer. Like 95% of the 1vs1 i won. I use a condition dmg build and it works wonders. Just like others said use shortbow and skills like lightning reflexes. Against a mesmer i found no way to kill him if he’s even average at this game.

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: Poxxia.1547

Poxxia.1547

@Chesire: Could you post your build, please? It is not, that I don’t have some very viable builds, it is just always interesting to see, what works for other people.

Oh, and forgot: Agree with Guardians and good Mesmers. There are so many average/bad mesmers though, while guardians are almost immortal, just they have the right specc.

BTW: Thoughts on that sigil that removes boons on crit for countering guardians? Since one of my builds have around 50% crit i thought it might be worthwhile?

(edited by Poxxia.1547)

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: Chesire.9043

Chesire.9043

I’ll PM it to you. What builder would you prefer?

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: Poxxia.1547

Poxxia.1547

GW2DB is fine … or GW2build. GW2skills seem to be down, though so anything but that. Thx

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: Cempa.3645

Cempa.3645

If you want to 1v1 do not invest any points in the first two trait lines, all points go into the bottom 3.

You have 30 points in top 2, you don’t get to come here and complain!

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: Tracker.6483

Tracker.6483

Here are some helpful tips.

1. Use 2 dog/wolf pets. (knockdown and also a cripple attack)

1a. Cycle to second pet 4 to 5 seconds seconds after fight starts (to give first pet time to apply cripple and do it’s knockdown). Then you’ll get a second cripple and 2nd knockdown very early in the fight. If you have a Longbow and shortbow, you have 3 knockdowns and 3 cripples and a daze/stun fairly quickly in the fight.

1b. When you choose to F2, move back towards your pet so the ability will either 1. affect you (in the case of regen from fern dog) or 2, affect your enemy as they will be chasing after you and you will lead them into or keep them at the F2 affect (like fear or immobilize or called hyena for another knocking down and cripple pet).

2. Channeled abilities will continue to hit invisible targets. I use Longbow #2 with quickness on them early in the fight.

3. Move away from where they go invisible – try to predict when they will attack from invis to time dodge roll, and also you shortbow #3 for distancing/evading after dodge roll.

I use Longbow/Shortbow and eat their initial attack with traited signet for 6secs of damage immunity to drain their initiative and do a longbow knockdown – followed by zephyr enhanced Longbow #3, #2 while pet is going to knock them down again. Switch pet, switch to shortbow for more zephyr dps and knockdown goodness.

Good thieves will either leave or hide and wait in stealth. If they do, Leave the area. Don’t let them start another ambush on you by sticking around if you didn’t kill them.

I play 30, 25, 0, 0, 15 with Longbow/Shortbow – squishy – but with 6 seconds of no damage and all the knockdowns and cripples – I stay up pretty well and do very nice damage.

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: Dredj.4025

Dredj.4025

Shortbow and Longbow play 2 very different ways to me. Shortbow is for Condition builds so Pow/Prec/Cond and Longbow more focused on Pow/Prec/Crit. Geared up like that my Shortbow crits about 750 and my Longbow crits for 3k.

I’m still in the process of converting my Ranger to a Longbow build so some of my armour and accessories are Condition based and none of it Rare or even Exotic, I have roughly 2600 attack but not sure on my crit damage, and I pulled off a 3k Longshot.

I’ve rerolled Necro now for my guild but won’t be abandoning my Ranger.

I’m also a WvW player.

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: Tracker.6483

Tracker.6483

I use them both for power/crit build.

The shortbow auto does more dps than longbow due to it’s much quicker animation and firing rate, so it actually works. Using zephyr on shortbow auto is even more dps than longbow #2 on zephyr.

(edited by Tracker.6483)

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: kharza.3974

kharza.3974

Shortbow and Longbow play 2 very different ways to me. Shortbow is for Condition builds so Pow/Prec/Cond and Longbow more focused on Pow/Prec/Crit. Geared up like that my Shortbow crits about 750 and my Longbow crits for 3k.

I’m still in the process of converting my Ranger to a Longbow build so some of my armour and accessories are Condition based and none of it Rare or even Exotic, I have roughly 2600 attack but not sure on my crit damage, and I pulled off a 3k Longshot.

I’ve rerolled Necro now for my guild but won’t be abandoning my Ranger.

I’m also a WvW player.

This is not correct. Use a shortbow in your power/prec/crit gear and it will out DPS a longbow this has been proven over and over.

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: Munrock.3092

Munrock.3092

I stopped reading the OP at “other than a caster.”

That’s 3/7 of the other professions, including the butterfly one that makes people scream and run away like frightened kittens.

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: Duckzor.4327

Duckzor.4327

from another post

Alright, this is gonna be long, but bear with me. I’ve tested out both the LB and SB at lvl 80 full exotic gear and weapons, traits stacked 30/30/10/0/0. Now before I state myself further, if you already can’t tell, this ……

read full story here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/What-s-the-point-with-using-a-Longbow/page/2#post306222

Hope the whining about longbow is over very soon., they out dps a short bow by a small bit

Uhh, sorry to burst you bubble, but it does not. Shortbow auto attack WITHOUT the bleed out dps’s longbow rapid fire.

Only thing longbow is good for is AOE.

Thief WvW Solo Roam Video

http://youtu.be/MHEU8oCFxrE

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: Aerious.1965

Aerious.1965

All these ppl having problems with mesmers, just call target.. Should be the very first thing you do

Rapture
Worst Ele NA
Maguuma – XOXO

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: mouse.1689

mouse.1689

All these ppl having problems with mesmers, just call target.. Should be the very first thing you do

Figuring out which one is the real target is not even remotely the problem. The problem, particularly for Rangers, is that if you focus the Mesmer, they have plenty of tools that let them escape and evade while their phantasms tear you to pieces. If you focus the phantasms, the Mesmer can simply keep pumping them out at will. Basically it’s a war of attrition that the Mesmer will always win. If you’re not finding this to be a problem, you’re fighting bad Mesmers.

The reason this is particularly difficult for Rangers is that most Ranger build have little to no AoE. Classes with AoE are more easily able to deal damage to both the Mesmer and their phantasms. Trap builds have an easier time, but it’s still no walk in the park.

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: soren.6918

soren.6918

I run longbow/shortbow for W3. Quickening Zephyr + Longbow attack 2, and I am hitting for 3 and 4k on the last couple hits. Kiting is pretty cake with this combo + Jungle Spider + lightning reflexes. I do well if I get caught in a 1v1 situation unless a thief catches me not paying attention.

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

I run longbow/shortbow for W3. Quickening Zephyr + Longbow attack 2, and I am hitting for 3 and 4k on the last couple hits.

Channeled skills like Rapid Fire show the added up damage, not the damage of each hit.
E.g. if the 9th arrow showed a 3,000 and the 10th arrow showed a 4,000 the 10th arrow actually dealt 1,000 damage.

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: spayced.2016

spayced.2016

I can 1v1 every profession except good mesmers. Yes, clearly you’re doing it right.

Second this, I can beat everybody but Mesmer.

Paper is fine. Nerf rock.

So 1v1 Ranger is a joke

in Ranger

Posted by: Yvilthi.5413

Yvilthi.5413

from another post

Alright, this is gonna be long, but bear with me. I’ve tested out both the LB and SB at lvl 80 full exotic gear and weapons, traits stacked 30/30/10/0/0. Now before I state myself further, if you already can’t tell, this ……

read full story here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/What-s-the-point-with-using-a-Longbow/page/2#post306222

Hope the whining about longbow is over very soon., they out dps a short bow by a small bit

Uhh, sorry to burst you bubble, but it does not. Shortbow auto attack WITHOUT the bleed out dps’s longbow rapid fire.

Only thing longbow is good for is AOE.

Excactly, and since 1) power precision crit dmg does more average dmg then the condition builds and 2) for the bleeding stacks you need to be constantly flanking all enemys, the power dmg of both out dmg the shortbow (by a small bit)

Yvilthi lvl 80 human Ranger
Yv Ilthi lvl 80 human Mesmer