So can druids do decent condi dps?

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Considering making a ranger, mostly a condi shortbow ranger for pve stuff but was wondering about the druid spec, is it only good for healing? Thank you.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Unfortunately druid is there for the group damage buffs as far as PvE goes. Grace of the land and frost spirit to be percise. Everything else is secondary as far as our ability to contribute in places like raids and high level fractals go. Even our healing.

If you go for condi dps you can probably get a raid group as long as they don’t have a druid/ranger already (Your only losing dps if you bring two). Or atleast you will have a better chance than a power variant. But if you want to do high end content as a dps build then you should probably pick something like condi necro or engi.

Were a support class atm. Our dps variants don’t bring anything that someone else can’t do much much better.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Ryou.2398

Unfortunately druid is there for the group damage buffs as far as PvE goes. Grace of the land and frost spirit to be percise. Everything else is secondary as far as our ability to contribute in places like raids and high level fractals go. Even our healing.

If you go for condi dps you can probably get a raid group as long as they don’t have a druid/ranger already (Your only losing dps if you bring two). Or atleast you will have a better chance than a power variant. But if you want to do high end content as a dps build then you should probably pick something like condi necro or engi.

Were a support class atm. Our dps variants don’t bring anything that someone else can’t do much much better.

So are there no dps specs at all right now its all healing? Sb is still decent right?

in Ranger

Shadelang.3012

So are there no dps specs at all right now its all healing? Sb is still decent right?

The closest you get to decent dps spec is going to be

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Druid_-_A/T_Condition

this is an axe torch focused build that also uses a shortbow. There is also a description on how to use it

But even this build doesn’t do as much damage as other classes condi builds. So it is brought for the buffs it provides. And the potential to burst heal while still doing enough damage to be useful in that regard. Its a utility build more than a dps build.

As for pure dps builds I don’t believe there are any that will get you into competitive groups like raids or high end fractals. But for normal PvE you can run pretty much anything you find fun.

Power builds do not have a similar option unfortunately.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

No, there are dps specs. It’s just that while we don’t bring the highest dps, we bring unique buffs. So all our dps specs need to bring those buffs first, then we can focus the rest of our build to dps.

I mean, you wouldn’t want a Druid with 5k dps because he’s a ’’support’’, when you can have a Druid with the same supporting capabilities with 15k dps.

SB/A+T is the highest condi dps set we currently have so yes, it’s decent.

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

in Ranger

Shadelang.3012

No, there are dps specs. It’s just that while we don’t bring the highest dps, we bring unique buffs. So all our dps specs need to bring those buffs first, then we can focus the rest of our build to dps.

I mean, you wouldn’t want a Druid with 5k dps because he’s a ’’support’’, when you can have a Druid with the same supporting capabilities with 15k dps.

SB/A+T is the highest condi dps set we currently have so yes, it’s decent.

To be fair though our definition of a dps spec has to be in comparison to the dps specs of other classes. Other classes deal ALOT more dps than we do in there pure dps specs than we do in our pure dps specs.

Which means that if we wanted to build for dps. There would be litteraly no reason in taking us over say this other class that does more dps than us in their “Buffing” build than we do in our “dps” build.

What druid has that keeps us relevant is our roll as a burst healer and the fact that we buff people when we heal them. What kept ranger relevant before was teh existance of frost spirit and spotter.

Were a buff class as far as PvE goes as well as in the eyes of the PvE community. We aren’t and have never been taken for our damage.

Edit: One thing I will say though is that we are pretty good SELF buffers too. We can maintain permanent might and fury on ourselves along with high durations of quickness.

If content were released where that capability was relevant im pretty sure a “pure” dps ranger would be more relevant. Its just in current content perma boons are the norm. So being able to self buff isn’t that impressive.

Ghost Yak

(edited by Shadelang.3012)

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

It would be interesting to see rangers dps in encounters where you must move around a lot and dodge damage, while a the same time you can keep your pet glued to the target due to the damage reduction they introduced to pets in pve earlier.

As far as I know there are no REAL data from encounters, the only thing you have to go by is the dps test, but that’s a controlled enviroment where you go full out damage and don’t have to think about anything else (and even that dps test is flawed when it comes to pets I think?).

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

(edited by OGDeadHead.8326)

in Ranger

Posted by: My Sweet Lily.1952

My Sweet Lily.1952

@Shadelang Yeah that I agree with, if someone wants to play a pure dps class then Druid is not for them. What I meant to say was we aren’t completely useless even with our low dps and we must still bring dps, the unique buffs can only get us so far.

Nymeriali #Druid
[TLA] Desolation (EU)

in Ranger

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

If you want dps and healing at the same time then play a tempest or dragonhunter. Tempest if you lean towards dps, and dragonhunter if you lean towards support.
Ranger needs some loving right now.

Druid does have nice mobility though!

in Ranger

Ryou.2398

I like a mix of both, I was considering dragon hunter but I dont know ill probably get bored with that one build, seems ele may be my only choice right now.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemonne.5018

Daemonne.5018

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/PvE-WvW-Bleed-druid

I have alot of fun with a variant of this spec, although I swap Lightning Reflexes for Sun Spirit.

If you play solitaire with only one suit, your game is going to end faster and feel lacking.

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Considering making a ranger, mostly a condi shortbow ranger for pve stuff but was wondering about the druid spec, is it only good for healing? Thank you.

Druid is one of the strongest power dealing but I recently found my condi Druid can hold her own as long as she isn’t alone.

I’ve learned that stacking vitality with condition damage is vital (toughness matters not in receiving condi damage – correct me and cite the source as this is what I’ve been taught in the last three years).

Mitgating foods/tools as well as trinkets to boost your precision like mad are key to PvE success AND you can heal. Just 300-400 healing is huge in a crowd in Pve.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

in pve openworld you are going to be fine, but youll need to go full condi to be able to tag mobs. Also is better to use Axe\torch or even longbow better than shortbow.
Shortbow still need something to become an actual choice.

in pve raids \ fractals \ dugeons we dont deal enough dps to think about decent, is going to be easier to pug if you just go power\heal.

WvW in my experience you need to go full glass (condi, hybrid or power) to kill before be killed or full tank to outlast.

In my experience this class is so badly designed there is not a confortable middle ground opposite to other professions were you can adapt your gear to your expertise. In pve we simply cant keep up with other clases.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

Druid can do pretty good condition damage. GotL boosts both condi and direct damage, so even if you don’t take Ancient Seeds, you can still do alot with Torch #4, Torch #5, Axe #2 (at close range) and the traited bleeds from skirmishing. Throw on a sun spirit and frost spirit, and you can dish condi quite well, while still providing alot of support to everyone else in the process.