So does 1v1 Bow Rangers even exist?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kolb.9054

Kolb.9054

Q:

I mean, I’ve never seen any Bow Ranger succeed in 1v1 fights.
All you got to do when fighting against a ranger is to get close to him while his CD’s are on.

Is this really ArenaNet’s intention? Or don’t we know how to build up a 1v1 Bow Ranger?

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

A shortbow/longbow ranger isn’t going to work, simply because shortbows are a primarily condi weapon, longbows primarily power – and sticking to one weapon is suicide no matter what class you play.

However in 1 Vs 1, shortbow or longbow, in tandem with a suitable swap weapon are excellent
http://youtu.be/bJQ0KjVS47k?t=5m5s

Longbows should be thought of as a control weapon, used in tandem with snares and immobilises, allows you to deal good damage while the enemy is at a safe distance, or to push him off you with LB4 and LB3 (Just don’t try sit in LB once all your cooldowns are up)

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

in Ranger

Posted by: law.9410

law.9410

I’ve won many duels with this build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQNAT8YnEqQLLWLI+rAVLGoPoWeABQ7fYavBm/7HA-TpATQAg9H6lBAA

You have to outplay thieves to win though, which is why I switched to double melee. This build is stronger however vs condi engineers, MM necro’s, and any mesmer build. So if you do go double melee, replace your GS with longbow when you come across those classes.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

I’ve won many duels with this build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQNAT8YnEqQLLWLI+rAVLGoPoWeABQ7fYavBm/7HA-TpATQAg9H6lBAA

You have to outplay thieves to win though, which is why I switched to double melee. This build is stronger however vs condi engineers, MM necro’s, and any mesmer build. So if you do go double melee, replace your GS with longbow when you come across those classes.

This is eerily close to my WvW build, which is very strong in 1v1 situations.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

Call me a slow learner, but I used to run Short Bow and Long Bow for the longest time—-probably hundreds of hours.
(SB for the quick fire and condi-essentially used it like a melee weapon)
(LB for the burst, knockback and AoE damage against zergs)

However, I can now say after dropping the Long Bow (in favour of Sword/Dagger)
My performance in 1v1 encounters has increased significantly.
This is because the LB is just too slow, and too ineffective up close in melee.

TLDR; Don’t use the Long Bow in 1v1 encounters.
Choose Short Bow and any other melee weapon.

in Ranger

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

lb is great in a 1v1…. one of our best weapons imo, i mean, i main lb, but i don’t see why you would choose sb over it, other than in a pure condi build, lb is a beast if u use it correctly

btw, if anyone’s got another decent power ranger link like the one above, post it here plz :P

they’re fun to watch lol but i don’t see many of them, that’s why im asking

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

lb is great in a 1v1…. one of our best weapons imo, i mean, i main lb, but i don’t see why you would choose sb over it, other than in a pure condi build, lb is a beast if u use it correctly

shadowpass, I hear you—I mean, as I said, I was loathe to give up LB period—but frankly speaking, of the four skills on the LB only two are viable close range 1v1 (the burst and knockback), so you take a -50% hit on effectiveness while you wait to weapon swap.

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

ur not doing it right haha, if ur using lb correctly, ur enemy will have a VERY hard time closing any distance on u

you shouldn’t have to take any hit on effectiveness if they can’t close the distance on u should u? :P

in Ranger

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

I just posted a new build on my repertoire. It is extremely effective in 1vs1 situations. If you are an experienced Ranger, and know how to utilize dual bows(knockbacks, criples, dazes and stealth), this build works wonders.

DBB Build

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

I actually have the same trait setup on some builds I was theorycrafting (30/0/15/25/0)

my only problem with it was that there wasn’t enough condi clear when fighting more than 2 people at a time, the condi pressure does get a bit much at that rate so I scrapped it until I had enough time to go back and look at it a bit more

nice job. :]

in Ranger

Sevans.4619

With Spiders/Canines, Malicious Training, and Sigil of ice; Longbow is a very powerful weapon in 1v1 encounters.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Longbow is very good against squishies. Against a bunker there isnt much you can do. The key is to peel them from range with 2-3k auto attack shots. You also have solid life expectancy if you go survival skills.

That being said, inside combat is far superior in this game then ranged combat. If someone gets on you, and most meta builds can, you will lose out to pressure pretty easily once your utilities and pet abilities are on CD.

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

Longbow is very good against squishies. Against a bunker there isnt much you can do. The key is to peel them from range with 2-3k auto attack shots. You also have solid life expectancy if you go survival skills.

That being said, inside combat is far superior in this game then ranged combat. If someone gets on you, and most meta builds can, you will lose out to pressure pretty easily once your utilities and pet abilities are on CD.

100% true.

The 5 things that will determine how your day will go.

1. Positioning. Initial position and constant reset of position.
2. Target selection
3. Awareness of your surroundings. It is always changing
4. Pressure pressure and more pressure. Put them on defensive
5. Know when to hold..and when to fold

In regards to pressure. Mesmers drive me crazy. I don’t like fighting them. Usually I try and out play them or finesse them. Rarely works. Today got on my Ranger for first time in a few weeks. Semi-glass LB. Bumped into a Mesmer right away. Went pure pitbull mode on him from 1800 units. Before he had time to think he was at 30% health. He bailed ….and died. People tend to panic when the HPs are dropping fast and especially when you are out of their range.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

Posted by: urdriel.8496

urdriel.8496

ur not doing it right haha, if ur using lb correctly, ur enemy will have a VERY hard time closing any distance on u

you shouldn’t have to take any hit on effectiveness if they can’t close the distance on u should u? :P

If your enemy play with 2 hands he only need to use any gap closer of this game to smash your face….

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

mesmers are very easy with lb, clones are np due to barrage, u can use piercing arrows if u want, and lb 3 is one of our best weapon skills, same with the knockback and rapid fire

the only problem is scepter mesmers cuz they have the block which procs a TON against us cuz we can track them during stealth and barrage hits so many times

for those, all u have to do is dodge, but it can be a pain sometimes

in Ranger

Posted by: Absent Minded.5821

Absent Minded.5821

As far as sPvP goes, longbow rangers are a joke. I’ve used shortbow with sword/dagger and traps since launch and have had a lot of success in 1v1. In solo que I usually take home point just because I can effectively 1v1 most classes and get back to point quick with sword #2 after a mid fight. In fact I would argue rangers shine in 1v1. Every other class has better support, better bunker, and better DPS.

in Ranger

Posted by: KehxD.6847

KehxD.6847

As far as sPvP goes, longbow rangers are a joke.

Even though I don’t play it myself since I don’t like it, with the Read the Winds trait, Longbow in spvp is a possible meta that actually became a thing. Just saying.

As for the topic. Ever tried killing a 0/2/6/6/0 _ Shortbow / Axe + Dagger ranger that knows how to dodge? You are going to have a hard time trying to kill that guy in a 1v1. I know axe is not a bow, but a ranged weapon most people don’t consider and is actually seen as an even worse weapon. xD But yeah, there are a few nice possible builds out there.

Founder and former leader of TxS Community! For more information, please look here =)
http://www.reddit.com/r/txs

in Ranger

Posted by: Omnitek.3876

Omnitek.3876

btw, if anyone’s got another decent power ranger link like the one above, post it here plz :P

they’re fun to watch lol but i don’t see many of them, that’s why im asking

How would you CC me if I have stability? Never lost a 1v1 to a LB ranger while on my ranger. If one knows how to dodge, LB is terrible.

A L T S
Skritt Happens

in Ranger

Posted by: Dolt.2731

Dolt.2731

I run shortbow with s/d and have no problems with 1v1’s in my current build. So yes, they do exist.

Ebenezer Smee, Ranger SBI

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

How would you CC me if I have stability? Never lost a 1v1 to a LB ranger while on my ranger. If one knows how to dodge, LB is terrible.

simple. I wouldn’t, I would stealth and kite till ur stability wears off… lol

in Ranger

Omnitek.3876

simple. I wouldn’t, I would stealth and kite till ur stability wears off… lol

Wait, so you could kite my ranger at more than 900m range for 26 seconds? Or my warrior for more than 14 seconds? Please show me how to do this in the open field. To any class, I have one of each.

You really play some terrrrrrible people if you think this is possible in any way, shape, or form from any class or player that has half of a brain.

A L T S
Skritt Happens

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

yes and yes.

you can kite for days on ranger… and what ur asking really doesn’t make sense, u have stability? so what? lol, its not making u god mode or anything. and u do realize that I don’t need to cc u to win right? lol.

anyways, ur question was “How would you CC me if I have stability?” that is counter-intuitive because (if you play a ranger), you know we don’t have boon removal, sooo

though, there are different forms of cc, I assumed u were talking about things like stuns and knockbacks, I could also soft cc u (cripples, immobilizes, etc. etc.)

if ur a stun war, I have my own stability to kite with

condi, ill stealth, dodge, and reflect

and ur stupid if u pop every stance at the start of a fight lol, not too much I could do about that at the start, ill have to stealth and kite for a little until either the stability or zerker stance wears off

but its rlly not too hard lol

in Ranger

Sevans.4619

Or we could, you know, switch weapons until stability is gone? Use Spiders with very, very long immobilizes? Dual spider set-ups (Jungle/X) with Malicious Training have access to a ton of immobilize which laughs at stability.

Or what about the Rangers smart enough to bring Quick Draw? A three second stealth every nine seconds really helps with being slippery while stability is up.

No, it’s not reasonable to sit at 1000 range for the duration of another Rangers RaO elite, but let’s not pretend like that’s a very common situation. Most stability does not last that long.

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

that’s what im saying ^, lol, he thought he was god mode with stability…

in Ranger

Omnitek.3876

that’s what im saying ^, lol, he thought he was god mode with stability…

Show me how with a video. These players will have to have 1/2 a brain with a somewhat common build/weapon set. I’ll wait so I can learn. Better yet, what server. I would love for you to show me first hand.

I have never once lost a 1v1 to a LB ranger. I am always looking for first time experiences. All of this talk of amazing LB skills, I just want to see it. Not standing elevated and blasting players who are attacking others. Not saying I will not die, just saying it has yet to happen.

A L T S
Skritt Happens

(edited by Omnitek.3876)

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

I have no recording softwares/idea how to record yet. Though I made a thread a week or so ago about how I should/what I should get :P. So yeah, if I figure it all out, ill post a video, and im on Sea of Sorrows atm (in the process of getting gear), and I only have time to play on the weekends (I have finals lol) sooo…. yeah, but when that’s all over with, i’ll be more than happy to show u

in Ranger

Omnitek.3876

I have no recording softwares/idea how to record yet. Though I made a thread a week or so ago about how I should/what I should get :P. So yeah, if I figure it all out, ill post a video, and im on Sea of Sorrows atm (in the process of getting gear), and I only have time to play on the weekends (I have finals lol) sooo…. yeah, but when that’s all over with, i’ll be more than happy to show u

Might be able to catch you being on JQ, but we will have to see.

There has never been an impressive LB video posted by anyone yet. There was one player (can’t remember the name) that did a decent LB/SB video, but 70% of the fights were done with SB out.

But quick question, you kite players for days on your ranger but you are in the process of getting gear? Must be really good and look forward to seeing it in action.

A L T S
Skritt Happens

in Ranger

Posted by: Valentin.2073

Valentin.2073

i’m sorry for the bad play and the sound. i play usually better than this on the video but this was a duel between me using double bows with zerker stats and a condi engi.

i’m sure you guys can do it better than me so it’s pretty much possible to duel using both bows. i hope this helps.

btw, this video was taken before the last patch.

PVP Ranger: Prince Valentine, PVP Warrior: Prince of Hearts I, and PVP Mesmer: Prince Valentine I

(edited by Valentin.2073)

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

I have gear atm but it’s not what I really was intending. It’s not rlly tanky or damaging at all. It’s just… meh… so yeah. I’m working on a new set to play with.

And idk if it rlly makes a difference, but I play sPvP a lot, u can usually find me in dueling rooms when im bored or w/e

in game name is “S H A D O W F A L L” if u wanted to mail me or anything like that… lol

in Ranger

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

There has never been an impressive LB video posted by anyone yet. There was one player (can’t remember the name) that did a decent LB/SB video, but 70% of the fights were done with SB out.

You mention that there hasn’t been an impressive LB video posted. What constitutes “impressive”? Fighting 3 other players at once using LB only? Or maybe a 1vs1 using LB only but with no armor?

There’s been countless LB videos posted on the Ranger forum.

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

actually, yes, for me, impressive is fighting either 1 very good/well known player, 2 competent ones, 3 braindead ones, or 4+ afk’s/uplevels lol

(not lb only btw haha)

or ill take a rlly cool montage of kills in cool ways, like maybe killing 5 ppl from max range with longbow as they’re running towards you

a cool burst/combo I’ve never thought of/seen before

basically, impressive is something that makes me go “wow O.O” or “d*mn, nice job broooo” =P

haha

(edited by shadowpass.4236)