So much ranger hate?

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: Capitol.3248

Capitol.3248

Surprised to check out the forums and see so many people hate playing the ranger…I just started it and fell in love. I’ll be honest i haven’t played any tournaments as one yet but just for screwing around in sPvP it is great! I play by myself a lot and am able to come in 1st place most matches in points and sometimes even carry a team.

I’m running Shortbow and Sword/Horn. I rarely die with the ridiculous amount of mobility i have. Makes me sad to see so many people not having fun with the class.

Personally I’m against any big changes to the ranger because imo they are pretty strong right now. My opinion might change once i try tournaments but they have so many strong tools i can’t see why i would as of yet.

If you are thinking about trying the class don’t be discouraged! They are a blast!

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Look at every class forums. It is filled with people who think the profession they play are underpowered, can’t do this, that, etc.

That said IMO Rangers do have some serious issues. Some people let that affect the enjoyment of the Ranger, some don’t. Don’t let the negative nancies discourage you from this class, and don’t let the positive peters make you think this class is perfect in everyway.

Play yourself and decide if you enjoy it or not.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: Jay.3284

Jay.3284

ridiculous amount of mobility i have

- Get to level 80
- Play other classes to level 80
- Realize how worthless the class is in PvE (Dungeons) and WvW

Dungeon Master 8/8 | Fractal 50
80Rng – 80Wa – 80Thief – 80Grd – 80Ele – 80Engi – 80Necro

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: RedGlow.2715

RedGlow.2715

- Get to level 80

I did. And the answer is: no. You’re as good as much you’ve learned to use your ranger (keep – that – ****ing – pet – alive!) and make the right build for the environment you want to mostly play in.

Honestly, yes, there are power differences between the classes, but it’s mostly about finding the class that fits your combat style better. With my ranger, in WvW, I see commanders die while i’m still up and ress them, whereas i suck big time with the elementalist. There are people working better with rangers, people working better with guardians, and so on and so on.

Less hate, more ranger love <3

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

I’m waiting for a patch to finally help the Ranger before starting to level my third character which is a ranger.

Right now I love seeing them on opposing teams in PvP because it’s free kills always (and I’m not a glass cannon). From the 8 professions, Rangers are the ones that I have the less problems with.

In PvE when I have rangers in my group I have mixed feelings, overal they tend to be very average / low-average BUT if they pop the Water Field (healing spring) I can trigger it once per second with my Cluster Shot, which means around 1200 healing per second for everyone in the party standing there, so the synergy is great here… but then a Water Elementalist can feed me too and while they last less, they will cast it in spots where people will need to mitigate damage more.

Rangers need a lot of love from devs in may aspects of their game, and I’m saying this as someone who mains a different profession. Specially Spirits!! (one of the reasons I’m waiting is that I wanted to be a “spirit herder” and right now it’s useless).

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: raGingIMP.8496

raGingIMP.8496

What I think some of the biggest issues everyone has with the class is that the builds that work well in the various parts of the game (BM PvP, defensive condition pressure, Traps) are not the builds that ppl want to use. They would like to be able to be a full archer/glass cannon type dmg and this is currently not especially effective.

So I would say it seems to split between ppl who like the types of build that work and are at least partially happy with the class (I still think it needs work to give us more options) and the ppl who would like to play a build type that doesn’t work but probably should be viable and so hate the class.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I’m waiting for a patch to finally help the Ranger before starting to level my third character which is a ranger.

Right now I love seeing them on opposing teams in PvP because it’s free kills always (and I’m not a glass cannon). From the 8 professions, Rangers are the ones that I have the less problems with.

In PvE when I have rangers in my group I have mixed feelings, overal they tend to be very average / low-average BUT if they pop the Water Field (healing spring) I can trigger it once per second with my Cluster Shot, which means around 1200 healing per second for everyone in the party standing there, so the synergy is great here… but then a Water Elementalist can feed me too and while they last less, they will cast it in spots where people will need to mitigate damage more.

Rangers need a lot of love from devs in may aspects of their game, and I’m saying this as someone who mains a different profession. Specially Spirits!! (one of the reasons I’m waiting is that I wanted to be a “spirit herder” and right now it’s useless).

Email or whisper me in game. Let’s duel in dubs and see who wins. My ranger vs whatever you want. Let’s see who the better player is because if ranger is as bad as you say, if you lose, it will be incredibly embarassing for you and your ego.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: CharlieWaffles.1509

CharlieWaffles.1509

If you all are struggling with your ranger I would suggest you rethink what your doing. Ranger is as strong as any class in the game WVWPVP, and SPVP….

I am not going to tell you how to retool your character as I enjoy running people over and I honestly dont want to level the playing field…

The answers are in this forum though. You just need to rethink how your going about your business… It takes a while theres allot going on with this class…

Illegal Contact 80 Ranger
Personal Foul 80 Mesmer
Jade Quarry

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: CharlieWaffles.1509

CharlieWaffles.1509

A Ranger is a flexible, highly trained and rapidly deployable light infantry Soldier with specialized skills that enable him to be employed against a variety of conventional and Special Operations targets.

Illegal Contact 80 Ranger
Personal Foul 80 Mesmer
Jade Quarry

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

A Ranger is a flexible, highly trained and rapidly deployable light infantry Soldier with specialized skills that enable him to be employed against a variety of conventional and Special Operations targets.

That’s right. You should update the wiki with that phrase so people don’t get so hung up on “RANGER MUST EQUAL RANGED COMBAT”

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

What I think some of the biggest issues everyone has with the class is that the builds that work well in the various parts of the game (BM PvP, defensive condition pressure, Traps) are not the builds that ppl want to use. They would like to be able to be a full archer/glass cannon type dmg and this is currently not especially effective.

You can run 100% crit. build with ranger, there was some discussion about that build a little while ago. Due to the balancing that must be done considering pet does damage too, the warrior still has a more powerful “Kill Shot” skill—but not by much.

With a similar build, I am able to put 20 stacks of vulnerability on a foe instantly if I time it right with my pet, since the pet provides 10 stacks. I could probably get to 25 but when I was testing that build, I was too lazy to try and optimize the build. At the end of the day, I decided glass wasn’t viable. Having a pet does complicate things for people that want to play that way.

The only problem with glass of any kind in wvw is the lack of toughness/vitality for extended fights or melee combat scenarios.

(edited by Chopps.5047)

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Jay.3284

- Get to level 80

I did. And the answer is: no. You’re as good as much you’ve learned to use your ranger (keep – that – ****ing – pet – alive!) and make the right build for the environment you want to mostly play in.

Honestly, yes, there are power differences between the classes, but it’s mostly about finding the class that fits your combat style better. With my ranger, in WvW, I see commanders die while i’m still up and ress them, whereas i suck big time with the elementalist. There are people working better with rangers, people working better with guardians, and so on and so on.

Once again… the problem is NOT that I don’t know how to play this over-simplified easy class. The problem is there’s little to NO reason to choose a Ranger when I go to a dungeon.

I asked in another thread, but I’m going to ask it here; Let’s play a scenario, why would I choose my Ranger over any of the other classes when I go to a dungeon? Solid and direct answers, and don’t say “enjoyment”.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

I like the Ranger.

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Remember the Paragon class from GW1? I loved it. They nerfed it every build. Then many stopped playing it. Nerfs=unaddressed problems; similar outcome.

Lets be honest here, but an IMBAgon was a requiredment in literally every hardmode/dungeon content in GW1 for the majority of the time I played.

If that’s not deserving of a nerf I don’t know what is.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

The only problem I have as a ranger is the pet. It comes out when I take damage and won’t go back in until aggro is gone, aggros everything under the sun, and in dungeons and WvW, dies so often that it’s basically impossible to keep a decent damage rate on anything or anyone. The main problems with the class IMO stem from the pet. Fix the pet, you fix the problems.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: KensaiZen.3740

KensaiZen.3740

I’ve recently started playing the ranger and love it. The complete ability to be effective at extreme range AND kitten good at melee is fantastic. This is coming for someone who is a hardcore Guardian. Im talking taking on 4-5 mobs in melee and not worrying at all.

Rangers are so OMG in PvE and bring unique skills to the team in dungeons (havent actually done one yet on the ranger but from looking at the skills it looks like Rangers are combo field machines. Perfect for coordinated parties)

The only thing I don’t see a Ranger being good at is WvW or PvP. In this aspect it is very lacking. Rangers should be able to Roam solo and pick off people easily. However, like i mentioned it is a combo field machine and needs others to make it shine. Kind of contradicts what a Ranger is.

atm I’m trying for a survivable hybrid of range and melee. Don’t know how effective it will be but right now it seems stupidly powerful in PvE (only lvl 32 at present so this is with barely any traits)

As for the issue with pets and agro….. can’t you just set the pet to passive? then it wouldn’t attack anything.

Winters Ascension The White Guardian
Sophia Theos Beast Master
[Fissure of Woe]

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I’m sticking with what I always say; the Ranger is viable, but not reliable. You can succeed with a Ranger, but there are more random factors to the Ranger then other professions has to deal with. The main issues being the pet and traits. The pet means the Ranger requires a lot more “attention” to play, compared to other professions, which a lot of players just can’t be bothered with. And the Rangers traits are a mixed bag of useless and useful effects (the grandmaster traits being the most obviously flawed). E.g. trap traits being in Skirmishing (precision/critical damage), when all the traps deal with conditions. Opening Strike being a nice effect, but makes the Marksmanship trait line very boring when put across all three minor traits. The trait Moment of Clarity being rather useless, when you already have the same effect on the greatsword and Signet of the Hunt. The trait Empathic Bond, when you already have Signet of Renewal or “Protect Me”. Or the majority of pet traits in the Beastmaster trait line. It’s a bit of a mess.

Having said that, I do enjoy the Ranger greatly. And I often find myself making a big difference in fractals. I would never play the Ranger in PvP, though, since it’s just not reliable enough.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

not hate. people expect rangers to excel at range and they don’t. people expect rangers to be bada*s as they were in gw1, they aren’t. people expect rangers to have more than ONE FREAKING PVP build and they don’t. people expect SB/LB attacks to have more than barrage and SB’s auto worth using. Its disappointment, not hate.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

(edited by Nuka Cola.8520)

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: grommie.6107

grommie.6107

- Get to level 80

I love my ranger but i did want to quote this guy because he/she makes sense. Though I have been thinking that Anet hates Rangers because we really just don’t have a lot of power..but as is stated above, maybe Ranger is jut not who I need to be…or maybe i need to play around more with traits…who knows.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

i enjoyed leveling my ranger alot.
Problems came when i tried to min/max it for pvp and dungeons, thats when all the issues like useless pets, mediocre skills on 2 minutes cd, lack of group utility and overall lack of damage compared to the other ranged classes come afloat.

I still love my ranger, and she’s my pick for general pve, but when things get real i can’t help but feel my guardian or mesmer could help my team ALOT more in the same situations. And my ranger is full exo/ascended with hundreds of hours on her back.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

raGingIMP.8496

I love my ranger but i did want to quote this guy because he/she makes sense. Though I have been thinking that Anet hates Rangers because we really just don’t have a lot of power..but as is stated above, maybe Ranger is jut not who I need to be…or maybe i need to play around more with traits…who knows.

I don’t think Anet hates rangers in fact I see the opposite. From update to update we’ve got stronger and some may say that its not by much. But what I would highlight is that the developers have been trying to fix fundamental problems (e.g. pet, bow shots missing) and while this is not complete to me it shows good design philosophy. This is for the simple reason that they’re bringing the class up slowly so hopefully, eventually we’ll hit the sweet spot, meaning we don’t get super buffed only to have the nerf bat swung round soon after.

Now for some I can see that this may be taking too long, I respect that and would highlight that some of the issues are quite fundamental and can’t be fixed by tweaking numbers like some other classes, but I’m happy to wait, the ranger works for me now and I only see it getting better. Just think anyone who can use the class well now will be amazing when we reach an equal footing.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: Reganov.3569

Reganov.3569

Basically in online games, 70% of the time, the forums are where people come to complain. The people who love their class are currently in-game playing it lol

Wolfred Darkwater – Fort Aspenwood

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Dungeons and PvP/wvw the class is very limited..too limited.

I’ve also found the fact i cannot remove the Pets somehow completely really can be frustrating at times.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Most of the issue with ranger pet is that the pets are overly vulnerable/fragile for the dynamics of the game. While a player can see a tell and dodge, the F3 on the pet isn’t always going to get the pet out of range of the attack leaving the only other option to swap pets (if not on cooldown).

Additional problems of the ranger include poor trait design in which the pet is getting most of the benefits from the trait (probably to deal with the pet not scaling with our equipment (or equipment of it own) and basically ranger with no equipment at 80 has the same jungle stalker (or other pet of choice)) as a fully exotic geared ranger.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Jay.3284

Once again… the problem is NOT that I don’t know how to play this over-simplified easy class. The problem is there’s little to NO reason to choose a Ranger when I go to a dungeon.

I asked in another thread, but I’m going to ask it here; Let’s play a scenario, why would I choose my Ranger over any of the other classes when I go to a dungeon? Solid and direct answers, and don’t say “enjoyment”.

Still waiting for an answer to this. It seems no one can provide one, and it’s just mostly people saying “I love the ranger class! So therefor it’s good”

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

Look at every class forums. It is filled with people who think the profession they play are underpowered, can’t do this, that, etc.

And the ranger is that one special class that is most often seen as the weakest and least wanted in the spvp forums, while at the same time these love-love rangers are ace threads pop up in the ranger forum from time to time.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

raGingIMP.8496

Still waiting for an answer to this. It seems no one can provide one, and it’s just mostly people saying “I love the ranger class! So therefor it’s good”

To answer the question directly even me who has mained my ranger since release could use other classes to do things the ranger does better.

But I would point out specially for you Jay that for you it may be necessary to use the class which is strongest for build x to enjoy the game, this is not true for others. So when people answer your statement there is no reason to use a ranger over other classes, with the statement I enjoy the ranger, this is in fact a valid reason you can’t just discount it from the argument at will because it doesn’t suit your purpose.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: rglaredo.9467

rglaredo.9467

I think Anet needs to implement build swapping because you need one build for teams, one for pvp, one for pve , one for wvwvw ..etc etc etc …you cant have a one shoe fits all built. they need to give us the players an option to swap without penalty between builds depending on situation ..pve, pvp, wvwvw.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

I think Anet needs to implement build swapping because you need one build for teams, one for pvp, one for pve , one for wvwvw ..etc etc etc …you cant have a one shoe fits all built. they need to give us the players an option to swap without penalty between builds depending on situation ..pve, pvp, wvwvw.

I agree with this, and it’s been suggested several times already.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Kasama.8941

Quoting myself from another topic (this is how I play in fractals):

Their vigor and evasion/dodging uptime, alone, makes them amazing survivors. Add on top of that, the pets ability to revive you (Lick Wounds) and revive others (“Search and Rescue”), the pets ability to tank for a short while (but enough to make a difference if you have to revive an ally), Healing Spring which is one of the best healing skills in the game (AoE: condition removal, healing, and regeneration, all in one skill), Spirit of Nature that can revive multiple allies (or just yourself if you time it right), and the 70 precision to allies trait (Spotter), which is also worth counting.

If you run “Search and Rescue” with Quickening Zephyr, you can also revive faster then any other profession. Just run up to a downed ally, use “Search and Rescue”, start reviving yourself, and then hit Quickening Zephyr. This combo will revive a defeated ally twice as fast as any other profession can, which makes a huge difference.

Rangers are also amazing against condition damage, as they have a ton of regeneration skills and traits. Just try and run with Signet of the Wild, Healing Spring, and Oakheart Salve (trait), next time you are playing against the grawl shaman in fractals. Even just these three skills together, makes a huge difference. And that’s not even counting Signet of Renewal, the traits Rejuvenation and Nature’s Bounty in the Nature Magic trait line, or pet skills like the Fern Hounds regeneration skill.

“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Jay.3284

Quoting myself from another topic (this is how I play in fractals):

Their vigor and evasion/dodging uptime, alone, makes them amazing survivors. Add on top of that, the pets ability to revive you (Lick Wounds) and revive others (“Search and Rescue”), the pets ability to tank for a short while (but enough to make a difference if you have to revive an ally), Healing Spring which is one of the best healing skills in the game (AoE: condition removal, healing, and regeneration, all in one skill), Spirit of Nature that can revive multiple allies (or just yourself if you time it right), and the 70 precision to allies trait (Spotter), which is also worth counting.

If you run “Search and Rescue” with Quickening Zephyr, you can also revive faster then any other profession. Just run up to a downed ally, use “Search and Rescue”, start reviving yourself, and then hit Quickening Zephyr. This combo will revive a defeated ally twice as fast as any other profession can, which makes a huge difference.

Rangers are also amazing against condition damage, as they have a ton of regeneration skills and traits. Just try and run with Signet of the Wild, Healing Spring, and Oakheart Salve (trait), next time you are playing against the grawl shaman in fractals. Even just these three skills together, makes a huge difference. And that’s not even counting Signet of Renewal, the traits Rejuvenation and Nature’s Bounty in the Nature Magic trait line, or pet skills like the Fern Hounds regeneration skill.

1. I never asked for how you play a class. I asked for several points as to WHY i would want to choose any of the other 7 professions over a Ranger.

2. While surviving in a dungeon is important, you can’t efficiently bring that to the team. Granting vigor to allies with Healing Spring is good on paper, but it is not effective in the real world. It requires allies to stand in a certain spot for a certain time to get the full affects of it. Leaving them stationary in an area for a prolonged period of time to get a 15 second vigor if they absolutely don’t get attack. (And if they don’t get attacked and managed to get the full 15 second vigor, they didn’t need it in the first place). I’m better off with a Guardian/Warrior/Necro/Ele/Engi for surviving those extended periods of time

3. Search and Rescue scales HORRIBLY at the higher levels. Using this move at 80+ and in dungeons is such a waste of time and only slightly useful at high level Jade Maw. Using it anywhere else is a waste of a utility bar. Oh and Lick Wounds is good if it works; and if it works then there’s even more of a chance a mob will go after to you since your pet is on top of you. I’m better off with a thief for reviving

4. Pets can’t tank in dungeons AT ALL unless you do 30 in BM; and if you do so, your damage is kitten poor and not worth the time. I’m better off with a Ele/Guardian/Warrior for taking AND dishing out that damage

5. Healing Spring again; read point 2. and replace vigor with regeneration. Also Ranger’s don’t have their OWN blast finisher’s to fully utilize their own healing spring. I’m better off with an Ele/Engi for condition removers/regeneration/water fields

6. Nature Spirit is killable. It also takes you out of the battle to summon it in a safe position. Even then when you do summon it in a decent position, most likely than not, your allies will not get the benefits of it… meaning the passive and the active. I’m better off with an Ele/Necro/Guard/Wa for healing and instant reviving

7. Spotter? Losing Piercing arrows for Spotter? I’m better off with Ele/Wa/Engi/Mesm/Guard/Necro for offensive skills

8. Once again Search and Rescue scales HORRIBLY at the higher levels. It’s completely useless by itself, and even WITH QZ, it revives almost/as fast as a player who would revive the player them-self. Also other classes have access to Quickness and the 2 second Quickness on swap with pets isn’t enough for a pet to actually do something with Search And Rescue. While I agree Rangers are the 2nd best when it comes to reviving those downed players; I’m better off with a Thief for reviving because of stealth and a way to de-aggro mobs from them being downed

9. Rangers are good against condition removal? Have we been playing the same class? Have you even played the other classes? To say this as a statement is so asinine. For condition remover, I’m better off with a Wa/Guard/Thief/Mesm/Ele/Engi/Necro.

No reason to pick a ranger over any of the other classes in a dungeon.

Edit: Grammar. I’ll go over it once more when I’m not tired

(edited by Jay.3284)

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Jay.3284

To answer the question directly even me who has mained my ranger since release could use other classes to do things the ranger does better.

But I would point out specially for you Jay that for you it may be necessary to use the class which is strongest for build x to enjoy the game, this is not true for others. So when people answer your statement there is no reason to use a ranger over other classes, with the statement I enjoy the ranger, this is in fact a valid reason you can’t just discount it from the argument at will because it doesn’t suit your purpose.

It’s not a valid argument if we’re trying to prove the efficiency and the well-worth of the Ranger class.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Kasama.8941

lol I shouldn’t even have bothered. You’ve already made up your mind about the Ranger, regardless of what anyone has to say.

-Alexander Pope

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Jay.3284

lol I shouldn’t even have bothered. You’ve already made up your mind about the Ranger, regardless of what anyone has to say.

My mind isn’t made up. There’s just no solid reason for me to play/pick a Ranger in a dungeon other than “enjoyment”.

The Ranger is NOT a good class.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

RyuDragnier.9476

To be honest, there’s one reason why you’d want to choose a ranger…the debuffs you can throw on an enemy. In dungeons, there can and WILL be times where you have to debuff the HELL outta an enemy because it won’t die fast otherwise. For those times, I’ve found rangers can truly shine, especially if the ranger throwing the debuffs on the enemy has a full trap build.

[hS]

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Jay.3284

To be honest, there’s one reason why you’d want to choose a ranger…the debuffs you can throw on an enemy. In dungeons, there can and WILL be times where you have to debuff the HELL outta an enemy because it won’t die fast otherwise. For those times, I’ve found rangers can truly shine, especially if the ranger throwing the debuffs on the enemy has a full trap build.

Then you should play the Necro

(edited by Jay.3284)

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

RyuDragnier.9476

Then you should play the Necro

I was thinking about making that the next class I get up to level 80, actually. Well, as soon as I’m done with my Guardian anyway.

[hS]

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: Lavexis.5360

Lavexis.5360

Idk about pve but I’m pretty sure that ranger is a good class in Pvp and wvw
In Pvp ranger crossbow has sustain dps, combine that with traps and pet then you can melt bunkers easily.
In wvw rangers can go lb/sb and shoot ppl from high ground
My ranger not even 80 yet I kill tons of ppl in wvw.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: JohnLShannonhouse.1820

JohnLShannonhouse.1820

3. Search and Rescue scales HORRIBLY at the higher levels. Using this move at 80+ and in dungeons is such a waste of time and only slightly useful at high level Jade Maw. Using it anywhere else is a waste of a utility bar. Oh and Lick Wounds is good if it works; and if it works then there’s even more of a chance a mob will go after to you since your pet is on top of you. I’m better off with a thief for reviving

4. Pets can’t tank in dungeons AT ALL unless you do 30 in BM;

6. Nature Spirit is killable. It also takes you out of the battle to summon it in a safe position. Even then when you do summon it in a decent position, most likely than not, your allies will not get the benefits of it… meaning the passive and the active.

If I know I will need to frequently revive other players, ranger is my best choice. The elite healing spirit is excellent healing support and a free revive. Search and Rescue works well in areas where I am being pounded by AoE. Pet dying is less of a big deal (usually) than me being downed. Sure, Thieves are sometimes better, but not always. If times of AoE damage pressure, stealth does not help. If it does help, it only helps as long as stealth stays up. The pet often takes ranged and melee pressure off the downed character because they attack the pet. Sorry if you had bad luck with Search and Rescue. I used to think the same about it until I was in Twilight Arbor Fwd/Fwd (ouchies) with a ranger going support and she saved us with it multiple times

Pets can tank fine in dungeons with 15 in beast mastery. They are great at taking damage pressure off of other players. If they are dropping too fast and my swap is not recharged, I put them on passive. The enemy either chases the pet (meaning it is not attacking the party) or it redirects fire and allows my pet to recover. Sure, my guardian and necromancer tank much better, but if the pet is defeated it is not a problem like if my guardian and necromancer down. If pets could tank like a guardian, they would have to be nerfed.

I carry stone spirit frequently. It lasts an average of about 45 seconds in dungeons (never more than 60 seconds when it expires naturally). I put it down if I happen to be standing in a good place for it. I almost never run off to place it. If I am running off to place it, we REALLY need it. It keeps protection up on the party better than my guardian can. Also, if the spirit dies from non-AoE (which is often), I do not mind because the enemies are attacking my spirit instead of a party member. I also watch my party member’s boons (played monk often in GW1 and and used to looking at my fellow party members) and yes, they do benefit from it.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

My mind isn’t made up. There’s just no solid reason for me to play/pick a Ranger in a dungeon other than “enjoyment”.

The Ranger is NOT a good class.

^ This

Right now, the Ranger is a fun, joke leisure class. “Woo I’m a sniper with a pet wolf!”

It’s not good, in fact, it’s pretty kitten bad in any form of PvP. We are also the only class who’s core class mechanic can be deactivated by the enemy. I can’t turn off an enemy Warrior’s adrenaline or a Thief’s initiative but it’s perfectly acceptable for our pets to be killed when nearly half our traits and skills revolve around them and the ones that don’t use the pet are still pretty crappy. Just compare vipers nest to needle trap. Needle does twice the poison, has 10 seconds shorter cool down and does a 3 second immobilize.

There’s just really nothing especially good about the class. I hear tales of how we were a force to be reckoned with in the Betas but the staff has obviously Smiter’s Boon’d us because there is no way that was the ranger we have now.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

In Pvp ranger crossbow has sustain dps, combine that with traps and pet then you can melt bunkers easily.

It is consistantly polled as the worst/least wanted class in spvp forums.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Jay.3284

4. Pets can’t tank in dungeons AT ALL unless you do 30 in BM;

6. Nature Spirit is killable. It also takes you out of the battle to summon it in a safe position. Even then when you do summon it in a decent position, most likely than not, your allies will not get the benefits of it… meaning the passive and the active.

If I know I will need to frequently revive other players, ranger is my best choice. The elite healing spirit is excellent healing support and a free revive. Search and Rescue works well in areas where I am being pounded by AoE. Pet dying is less of a big deal (usually) than me being downed. Sure, Thieves are sometimes better, but not always. If times of AoE damage pressure, stealth does not help. If it does help, it only helps as long as stealth stays up. The pet often takes ranged and melee pressure off the downed character because they attack the pet. Sorry if you had bad luck with Search and Rescue. I used to think the same about it until I was in Twilight Arbor Fwd/Fwd (ouchies) with a ranger going support and she saved us with it multiple times

Pets can tank fine in dungeons with 15 in beast mastery. They are great at taking damage pressure off of other players. If they are dropping too fast and my swap is not recharged, I put them on passive. The enemy either chases the pet (meaning it is not attacking the party) or it redirects fire and allows my pet to recover. Sure, my guardian and necromancer tank much better, but if the pet is defeated it is not a problem like if my guardian and necromancer down. If pets could tank like a guardian, they would have to be nerfed.

I carry stone spirit frequently. It lasts an average of about 45 seconds in dungeons (never more than 60 seconds when it expires naturally). I put it down if I happen to be standing in a good place for it. I almost never run off to place it. If I am running off to place it, we REALLY need it. It keeps protection up on the party better than my guardian can. Also, if the spirit dies from non-AoE (which is often), I do not mind because the enemies are attacking my spirit instead of a party member. I also watch my party member’s boons (played monk often in GW1 and and used to looking at my fellow party members) and yes, they do benefit from it.

1. If you need to frequently revive each other than a Thief is still a better choice; and you need a better dungeon group.

2. How does “Search and Rescue” work well with areas with tons of AoE. Pets are HORRID versus AoE and they will STILL be targeted WHILE untop of the person they’re reviving with “Search and Rescue”. Also to note… Pet dying you lose some utility and 40-60% of your damage.
Thief is STILL better because of De-aggro and stealth mechanics

3. Stealth STILL helps if there’s AoE. That means THOSE two people who are cloaked WILL not be targeted by the AoE, UNLESS a partner uncloaked runs beside the two and the boss/monster does an AoE attack. Even so, the Thief can still DODGE and MITIGATE damage; something a pet cannot do. Though Rangers ARE the 2nd best medic; Thieves are STILL better medics than Rangers…

4. “The pet often takes ranged and melee pressure off the downed character because they attack the pet” This statement makes no sense at all. Search and Rescue the bet literally stands ontop of the downed player… Thieves are STILL better medics than Rangers

5. “Pets can tank fine in dungeons with 15 in beast mastery.” This is false. A bear with 15 BM can take 3-4 hits. Pets also cannot dodge and their “swap” mechanic is 15 seconds. Pets usually do not take pressure off players, Players are on a higher aggro board than Pets in the much higher levels (even down-scaled) because of armor. Putting them on “Passive” means you lose; like I said above, 40-60% of your DPS, and they’re STILL susceptible by AoE. A Guardian/Wa/Necro/Engi/Ele are much better in this sceanrio

6. “I carry stone spirit frequently”. That’s all I needed to see. Guardians/Wa/Necro/Engi/Ele/Thief/Mesmer do it all better for defensive oriented utilities/skills

I don’t even think you’ve played the Ranger in higher difficulty dungeons, let alone leveled it to lvl80

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: JohnLShannonhouse.1820

JohnLShannonhouse.1820

You know, Jay, went I went to the thief forum to get questions answered about my thief, one of the things I looked at was stealth. It was not working for me as advertised. I read what some people posted and figured out other stealth mechanics. Now it works well. Yet, on the thief forum, you will find people complaining:
Complainer: Stealth rarely/never works!
Helpful poster: Try A
Complainer: A doesn’t work! Stealth never works!
Helpful poster #2: Try B
Complainer: B doesn’t work! Stealth almost never works!
Yet, I have seen both A and B work and use B myself…

I have rallied myself from downed using uninterrupted skill #4 with the aid of the pet and watched the pet take damage from the enemies surrounding us, yet you insist that does not happen. I have used stone spirit in dungeons with AoE flying about and in nearly 50% of cases, it has lasted its full 60 seconds, yet you insist otherwise. I have watched people using blocks or stealths try to rescue a downed player near AoE using enemies have to retreat, while the pet stood there the entire time and kept the player alive, yet you insist otherwise.

As far as I can tell, you are a player that won’t try what others say and won’t try to figure out how a mechnic works. You are no different from those that say stealth never works, with weapon set X half your attunements are useless and warriors cannot stay standing long enough to do any real damage in dungeons. Those are simply untrue. I have seen them. I have done it. I have trouble taking your claims of comparing other professions I have played less as credible when you insist the very things I have seen don’t happen.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Posted by: Lavexis.5360

Lavexis.5360

It is consistantly polled as the worst/least wanted class in spvp forums.

Is this serious ?
I see like at least 1 ranger and sometimes even 2 on paid tourney.

So much ranger hate?

in Ranger

Jay.3284

You know, Jay, went I went to the thief forum to get questions answered about my thief, one of the things I looked at was stealth. It was not working for me as advertised. I read what some people posted and figured out other stealth mechanics. Now it works well. Yet, on the thief forum, you will find people complaining:
Complainer: Stealth rarely/never works!
Helpful poster: Try A
Complainer: A doesn’t work! Stealth never works!
Helpful poster #2: Try B
Complainer: B doesn’t work! Stealth almost never works!
Yet, I have seen both A and B work and use B myself…

I have rallied myself from downed using uninterrupted skill #4 with the aid of the pet and watched the pet take damage from the enemies surrounding us, yet you insist that does not happen. I have used stone spirit in dungeons with AoE flying about and in nearly 50% of cases, it has lasted its full 60 seconds, yet you insist otherwise. I have watched people using blocks or stealths try to rescue a downed player near AoE using enemies have to retreat, while the pet stood there the entire time and kept the player alive, yet you insist otherwise.

As far as I can tell, you are a player that won’t try what others say and won’t try to figure out how a mechnic works. You are no different from those that say stealth never works, with weapon set X half your attunements are useless and warriors cannot stay standing long enough to do any real damage in dungeons. Those are simply untrue. I have seen them. I have done it. I have trouble taking your claims of comparing other professions I have played less as credible when you insist the very things I have seen don’t happen.

The ranger was my main and I did various research and figured out the best approaches and maximize my efficiency with said class. With that said, figuring out the best approaches to dungeons with Rangers brings 2 things; 1) If you spec for support, Other classes can do it FAR FAR FAR! better. 2) Speccing for damage (Which is the best option) leaves you WEAKER than the other classes, via Condition or Direct.

I’ve tried VARIOUS different builds for my Ranger in dungeon, I’ve finally settled on one which I personally think is the best in Terms of support/damage but that doesn’t mean I still don’t think the class is lackluster. I have almost all the classes under my belt (missing Mesmer/Necro) and I can tell you with great confidence the Ranger is the absolute worst class for PvE dungeons.

The skills and utilities looks GREAT on paper, but in actual combat they’re not worthwhile and lackluster. Once again there’s NO reason (Other than enjoyment) to pick a Ranger out of ANY of the other classes when I want to do a dungeon.

PS: Oh and I’ve played games with much higher micro demand (IE. SC2) than this and to say I don’t know how to “micro manage” my pet is absurd. What I think you need to do is play the other classes and see how much the Ranger doesn’t compare in dungeons

(edited by Jay.3284)