Some pets that I think should be fixed

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Any pet with any ability, including the F2, that has more than a half-second cast time needs to be reduced to a half-second.

Any pet with any ability that is channeled, including the F2, needs to follow the player to remain in the firing arc just like a player would if he let go of their mouse and used a skill.

Any pet that drops a useable item should no longer drop said item and instead should just replace the F2 skill with that item so a player no longer needs to weapon swap or pick it up. The F2 ability can still be centered on the player instead of the pet when cast.

That cover most of the mechanical problems?

in Ranger

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

And i want to add, that the raven need another f2 skill, than blindness.

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Any pet with any ability, including the F2, that has more than a half-second cast time needs to be reduced to a half-second.

Any pet with any ability that is channeled, including the F2, needs to follow the player to remain in the firing arc just like a player would if he let go of their mouse and used a skill.

Any pet that drops a useable item should no longer drop said item and instead should just replace the F2 skill with that item so a player no longer needs to weapon swap or pick it up. The F2 ability can still be centered on the player instead of the pet when cast.

That cover most of the mechanical problems?

+1
A change to forage alone would make a big difference in their usefulness. The mechanic is already in the game (thieves).

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

And i want to add, that the raven need another f2 skill, than blindness.

This is one of the better competitive F2s in my opinion, as it’s basically an interrupt. It’s also handy to swap to the raven for stomping.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

But an interrupt with a reaction time of over 1 second? And only if the pet is near the enemy and alive? The speed buff is much better as activation-skill

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

You can make the same arguments about all pets. On paper, the wolf is useless. Stationary, short range howl with 1.5 second activation time sounds just awful.

As far as F2s go, a long duration blind plus decent burst damage is not bad at all.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

rather not have the forage on instant pick up , you won’t beable to counter a Aoe spike if the opponents burst you while using that f2 , atleast currently you can prepair it and pick it up in a safe situation by ether CCing or KB#ing / entangling the target/ targets so you can pick it up.

making the pick up instant removes any counter play you can do and gives the opponents huge counter play by just waiting for the pig to start digging as soon as that happens it takes 0.5 to eat it or longer to use the gunk versions leaving you open to huge bursts / damage, the current way is much better.

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

rather not have the forage on instant pick up , you won’t beable to counter a Aoe spike if the opponents burst you while using that f2 , atleast currently you can prepair it and pick it up in a safe situation by ether CCing or KB#ing / entangling the target/ targets so you can pick it up.

making the pick up instant removes any counter play you can do and gives the opponents huge counter play by just waiting for the pig to start digging as soon as that happens it takes 0.5 to eat it or longer to use the gunk versions leaving you open to huge bursts / damage, the current way is much better.

Huh? This doesn’t make sense. Having the item replace F2 to allow activation when you want and still be able to use your weapon skills while waiting for the right moment to use it would be superior to current mechanic in every thinkable way.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Zenos Osgorma.2936

Huh? This doesn’t make sense. Having the item replace F2 to allow activation when you want and still be able to use your weapon skills while waiting for the right moment to use it would be superior to current mechanic in every thinkable way.

erm ok i’ll word it in very simple words, if it replaces your weapon skills without having to pick up the item , when the item replaces your weapon skills Most weapons defenses are on the weapons , that leaves you defenseless while using that f2 if it becomes instant.

how would you defend yourself from a staff guard spamming his auto while being attacted by a D/D ele you’ll need to use your weapon skills to avoid the damage , taking a extra 0.5secs to 1.5 secs to thow gunk or a venom sack in that situation will only get you killed not being able to act because your weapon skills are locked by that item.

changing it reduces its Flexability.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

erm ok i’ll word it in very simple words, if it replaces your weapon skills without having to pick up the item , when the item replaces your weapon skills Most weapons defenses are on the weapons , that leaves you defenseless while using that f2 if it becomes instant.

how would you defend yourself from a staff guard spamming his auto while being attacted by a D/D ele you’ll need to use your weapon skills to avoid the damage , taking a extra 0.5secs to 1.5 secs to thow gunk or a venom sack in that situation will only get you killed not being able to act because your weapon skills are locked by that item.

Errmm, what part of “replace F2 skill” did you miss? It would be similiar to thiefs stealing an item and replacing F1 with said item.

No one is talking about instantly replacing the weapon skills.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

in Ranger

Posted by: Someday.3650

Someday.3650

Read his post again instead of writing a wall. You’re wrong.

in Ranger

Zenos Osgorma.2936

Read his post again instead of writing a wall. You’re wrong.

right did do still think its better the current way , making this f2 activate on the ranger will only mess things up , the items are enviroment weapons it will still replace the weapons you are using.

it will need a whole rework of the RNG item drop system moved into a passive nature no need to work for that item , blinds ar strong, bone is strong , the Aoe poison from the venom sack is amazingly strong on long condi duration builds making these into activate on rangers location won;t work some are throw items, some are too powerful for this kind of activation.

(edited by Zenos Osgorma.2936)

in Ranger

Lazze.9870

right did do still think its better the current way , making this f2 activate on the ranger will only mess things up , the items are enviroment weapons it will still replace the weapons you are using.

It wouldn’t be an enviromental weapon if it replaced the F2 skill..

Go and try the theif’s steal mechanic. Maybe then you will get a grasp of the concept.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

in Ranger

Zenos Osgorma.2936

Yeah, because the items thiefs get’s from stealing reaaaaally mess the class up…

I suggest you go and try out the steal mechanic, because you don’t seem to understand the concept of replacing the F2 skill.

can’t blame our pets or items for a different classes machanic.

and yes i do understand the thief uses the item , can a pet with no poseable thumbs throw a bone , or a venom sack , the item makes sense.
but the implimentation of the ops idea won;t work too much to change / alter or recode anet won’t change a whole pet type to be more like a thief when its not a theif machanic.

in Ranger

Atherakhia.4086

I’m not sure where the confusion is coming from…

Select Pig…
Press F2…
Pig Forages
F2 is changed to foraged item for 30 seconds while F2 Forage skill is on cooldown.
Press F2 again to use the foraged item. The item is shot from the Ranger instead of the pet for LOS/range purposes.
Once used, the F2 skill reverts to the Forage skill and remains on cooldown for the remainder of the time.

I think that’s broken down as simply as possible so there can be no more confusion. This is exactly what I said in my response to the OP (I didn’t make this thread btw).

in Ranger

Lazze.9870

can’t blame our pets or items for a different classes machanic.

and yes i do understand the thief uses the item , can a pet with no poseable thumbs throw a bone , or a venom sack , the item makes sense.
but the implimentation of the ops idea won;t work too much to change / alter or recode anet won’t change a whole pet type to be more like a thief when its not a theif machanic.

In other words your first complaint about the change is no longer relevant, and you’re now opposing a quality of life change for no reason whatsoever. I doubt it would require much from Anet to alter the current mechanic.

If you’re gonna argue about pet not having thumbs, you might aswell argue that the thief got no visible pockets to put away their stolen items. That’s neither here nor there.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

in Ranger

Zenos Osgorma.2936

I’m not sure where the confusion is coming from…

Select Pig…
Press F2…
Pig Forages
F2 is changed to foraged item for 30 seconds while F2 Forage skill is on cooldown.
Press F2 again to use the foraged item. The item is shot from the Ranger instead of the pet for LOS/range purposes.
Once used, the F2 skill reverts to the Forage skill and remains on cooldown for the remainder of the time.

I think that’s broken down as simply as possible so there can be no more confusion. This is exactly what I said in my response to the OP (I didn’t make this thread btw).

i understand what the op is trying to do , but doing it that way makes the item/ item type into a free powerful extra attack/Aoe (vemon sack) or utility ( skull fear is tha same as Fear me on a warroir its a powerful CC without having a downside , that down side currently is having to pick up the item.

you press f2 , it repalces the f2 with the skill and activate from the rangers location.
(since he suggests to remove the item from being dropped on the floor , where the Visual of the item is the counter play for other players to take notice of)

If you can find some counter play to the Op’s method then its a Viable idea.

in Ranger

Atherakhia.4086

Counterplay is easy. You simply put a .5 second cast time on it when you try and use the foraged item and make it have a distinct animation. Use the same animation when you throw siege for example but instead of a crate you have a glowy pile of muck,

in Ranger

Zenos Osgorma.2936

Counterplay is easy. You simply put a .5 second cast time on it when you try and use the foraged item and make it have a distinct animation. Use the same animation when you throw siege for example but instead of a crate you have a glowy pile of muck,

k the average human reaction time is 0.35secs lowest time if they are paying attention , also thats more passive counters having to use more direct skills to prevent than direct counters(like placing a Aoe on said foraged item to prevent pick up) preventing the cast entirely.

its a much stronger counter than 0.5 and a animation , that animation by the time they notice it 0.2secs if they are directly fighting you , it will take other 0.35 to 0.5 to cast totaling 0.75-1sec to react , do they react to the f2 animation or the 0.5 of the cast ? the other counter play is still better it has a direct counter rather than having to interrupt the pet that is quite difficult to do while being pressured by a ranger with a pet kd or gs or LB push back or axe pull.

cutting straight to the item pick up attacking the ranger removes the un-needed effort of interrupting the pet and the waste of a skill since the items/forage from the pet are not much of a big deal to the ranger as they are just utility preventing that utility from the start is much more effective.

in Ranger

Atherakhia.4086

How is interrupting and/or dodging the attack passive?

As to the APM issue, a lot of skills have a .5 second cast time and are considered sufficiently countered. I really see no problem. Especially when you factor in the random nature of the F2 skill and the pre-activation of using forage needs to be compensated for some as well.

But if .5 is honestly too short, then we can worry about it after the fact. As if anything discussed on the Ranger forum will reach ANet’s ears.

in Ranger

Zenos Osgorma.2936

How is interrupting and/or dodging the attack passive?

As to the APM issue, a lot of skills have a .5 second cast time and are considered sufficiently countered. I really see no problem. Especially when you factor in the random nature of the F2 skill and the pre-activation of using forage needs to be compensated for some as well.

But if .5 is honestly too short, then we can worry about it after the fact. As if anything discussed on the Ranger forum will reach ANet’s ears.

True also , i didn’t word that enough , its a passive attack for the ranger not the person countering it.
since it would take a extra skill to directly counter the pet doing the forage , it reduces the counter play towards the ranger freeing him up to attack more often.

while the target is busy trying to directly counter the pet before the 0.5 cast is done , that would involve traveling to the pet also they have have to react promptly with the ranger chasing his tail , if he fails to stop the pet foraging , his taken extra damage while the ranger jabs him in the back or gains ground using range putting the target in even more damage or a higher disadvantage , reducing the foes counter play overall .

hense giving the ranger a passive attack with very little counter play compaired to having to pick up the item puts both the ranger and the target at risk.

if you get what i mean , its going to have to be a better counter than a 0.5 cast animation and i can’t think of much else that would be equal or better than preventing the effect form its source without loosing counter play for the effected target.

the other way would be for the item to be dropped closer to the ranger where the forage has a Radius around the ranger , but then the source of the f2 forage will have to be sourced from the pet as it is the pets skill not the rangers , then it becomes a postioning isssue if the pet is quite far away, and if its a radius forage, it could end up being further away.

if the pet carried the item to you that would be fun, the time it takes to walk back to you becomes the items cast time when the pet reaches you , it then becomes useable . the counter play becomes Keep the pet away from the ranger and people can use Knock backs and knockdowns / CC or even kill the pet to prevent the item being easly obtained.

then a icon above the pets head showing what item it is , will allow for more counter play then the foe can choose to act accordingly to the item foraged without having to make unnessacory actions that would likely force him into a bad postion.

in Ranger

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Yes, cast times for pet F2’s should be reduced across the board to the instant – 3/4sec range.

downed state is bad for PVP

in Ranger

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Needs moar aoe pets. An AOE ranged pet would be so nice, as it’d compliment the ranger well.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.