SoulBeast next spec? i hope with double sword

in Ranger

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Keep your expectations really low peeps.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in Ranger

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

Shapeshifting would interest me. Only that.

Perma too. I don’t want to be manically jumping back and forth between weapon skills and a shapeshift. Nor manically jumping into and out of multiple forms.

I’d just like to be able to be a bear. Or a bird. Or a wolf.

And bite stuff.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Guys, Druid was an amazing elite spec. It added a whole new type of role in the game that was not there before, a pure healer + support. It has also had great synergy with core utilities and traits that provided support.

While I understand that the bowman fantasy is not viable at the moment, it does not mean that the Druid missed its mark.

Currently we have a viable support/healer build and condition DPS build. We are missing a power melee/ranged build. Here is hoping that the next elite fills that role.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Well, I have no bowman fantasy but It does not mean that I enjoy playing druid at all. I can only admit that druid open up some build diversity, however the whole avatar thingy is simply horrible. (And I do not speak about the “look” but the whole gameplay of the thing)

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Ranger

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

Its looking to me like a beastmaster E-Spec. I hipe this will open better options for power ranger, i would like to swap specs in the next expansion for more diversity.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Guys, Druid was an amazing elite spec. It added a whole new type of role in the game that was not there before, a pure healer + support.

You men the role that they sword up and down would never be in the game and is useful only in raids?

While I understand that the bowman fantasy is not viable at the moment, it does not mean that the Druid missed its mark.

Well its mark was to advertise raids so no I guess it didn’t but even considering that its first reveal was useless and outclassed by other healers, until GoTL was added where it flipped the whole situation and now all other healers never have a chance to get in.

If you view it as an elite spec though its by far the worst designed one. Some of the worst utilities in the game with a baffling use of the glyph mechanic, terrible weapon designed purly to get you through the celestial avatar gate mechanic, all but 4 traits are usless, 2 for pvp, 2 for raids and no synergy with base Ranger class.

in Ranger

Caeledh.5437

You men the role that they sword up and down would never be in the game and is useful only in raids?

They sure did. Then they claimed they never did. And now healing is there.

Personally I think their original vision was a mistake and that’s one of the reasons the game’s popularity has waned. Everything being a melee DPS zerg fest is really boring.

Plenty of people, eg. me, actually like playing roles other than DPS. GW2 1.0 offered a nice story and world to play through but not much reason to stick around once you’d finished that.

If you view it as an elite spec though its by far the worst designed one.

I don’t love the druid. The staff doesn’t impress and the whole astral force / celestial avatar thing doesn’t thrill me either. It’s just the same rotation of abilities for burst healing and AF build up. In other MMOs healing is much more strategic.

But IMO herald was by far the worst designed elite. The main selling point of the new revenant class was their abilities being fuelled by energy instead of limited by cooldowns.

They hyped everyone up about that and their elite spec – showing us the cool dragon stuff – then it emerged that the (non-buff) herald abilities would be limited by cooldowns instead of fuelled by energy.

Seriously.

in Ranger

InsaneQR.7412

They sure did. Then they claimed they never did. And now healing is there.

Personally I think their original vision was a mistake and that’s one of the reasons the game’s popularity has waned. Everything being a melee DPS zerg fest is really boring.

Plenty of people, eg. me, actually like playing roles other than DPS. GW2 1.0 offered a nice story and world to play through but not much reason to stick around once you’d finished that.

If you view it as an elite spec though its by far the worst designed one.

I don’t love the druid. The staff doesn’t impress and the whole astral force / celestial avatar thing doesn’t thrill me either. It’s just the same rotation of abilities for burst healing and AF build up. In other MMOs healing is much more strategic.

But IMO herald was by far the worst designed elite. The main selling point of the new revenant class was their abilities being fuelled by energy instead of limited by cooldowns.

They hyped everyone up about that and their elite spec – showing us the cool dragon stuff – then it emerged that the (non-buff) herald abilities would be limited by cooldowns instead of fuelled by energy.

Seriously.

Yeah i agree with this one herald is pretty much the worst designed. Its boon camping and the new F2 abbility should interact with the legends. I mean rev has not very much freedom in build diversity and still get only 1 upkeep as a special.
Druid should have more than just one aspect and thus variety in glyphs. The temporary restriction do not increase the glyph use in CAF at all.
Staff is kinda good weapon, just staff 2 is BS and they could made staff a ranged condi weapon (because we dont have a 1200 range condi weapon) instead of power.
The CA skills are useful for sustain in some regards and give us a place in harder content. I dont like the looks of the skills though.

Pale Raiders united.

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Guys, Druid was an amazing elite spec. It added a whole new type of role in the game that was not there before, a pure healer + support. It has also had great synergy with core utilities and traits that provided support.

Currently we have a viable support/healer build and condition DPS build. We are missing a power melee/ranged build. Here is hoping that the next elite fills that role.

I have truly enjoyed playing druid! I love to be able to support my guildies properly and heal them while we kick butts.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in Ranger

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

If they do make the elite spec petless, I could see the various ranger shouts made to summon a spirit that does whatever the shout would have normally made the pet do. So S&R, for instance, summons a spirit that revives somebody.

Personally, though, I’m hoping it doesn’t remove the pet entirely. Possibly make having the pet and not having the pet be on a toggle, so that people who really don’t want one can remain permanently in petless mode, but the option is there to keep it around or switch between the two modes if you so choose.

They never said there’d be no healers. They said there’d be no need to wait for healers – there wouldn’t be one or two professions you have to wait for to get a healer, you can take a party with any set of professions and somebody will be able to go healer if they have the gear.

Personally, though, I quite dislike druid. Part of this is that I simply don’t enjoy it, but from a more strategic perspective, in the current meta it is a healer that you’re potentially left waiting for if you don’t have one – it’s so much better than the alternatives that you have to have one. This is going against what they promised in development. Druid in a vacuum is fine, but other professions need to be able to offer viable alternatives – both to avoid the “we really need someone to play X” wait, and so that people who’d like to be the healer but who don’t enjoy druid mechanics can take an alternative with different mechanics.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Ranger

Caeledh.5437

Druid should have more than just one aspect and thus variety in glyphs.

Now that’s an interesting idea.

They never said there’d be no healers. They said there’d be no need to wait for healers – there wouldn’t be one or two professions you have to wait for to get a healer, you can take a party with any set of professions and somebody will be able to go healer if they have the gear.

You don’t seriously believe that do you?

Leading up to GW2’s launch ArenaNet extensively, repeatedly and at length detailed how GW2 would have no holy trinity. Especially not healers. Of any kind. Everyone would have self-heals with big’ish cooldowns. Damage avoidance (i.e. getting out of red circles) and prevention would be key.

ArenaNet themselves seem to have taken this page down but it survives in the archive.

The various problems with condition damage in combination with the deliberate weakness of healing and other forms of support resulted in the least diverse PvE imaginable. Nearly everyone running with the same stats (berserker) and melee.

It was a mistake. Which is ok. To err is human. Why anyone feels a need to attempt to rewrite this history escapes me. GW2 was big news at launch and its lack of holy trinity is one of the things it was best known for.

in Ranger

draxynnic.3719

They didn’t actually set out to destroy the trinity, but to change it. Instead of damage/heal/tank, it became damage/support/control. Instead of most builds only having token self-healing if any at all, everybody had their own healing so support characters were less focused on being the sole thing replenishing health bars, and were more about helping relieve the pressure so that selfheals could do the rest of the job – whether that was through healing damage or reducing the damage that was coming in (through damage reduction boons like Protection, removing damaging conditions, or outright preventing attacks from landing).

They didn’t set out to remove healers entirely, but to reduce their importance and fold them into the general category of ‘support’. In previous MMOs, you NEEDED a dedicated healer. In Guild Wars 2, the intent was that you COULD have a healing-focused character, or you could have a more protection-focused character that took the pressure off in other ways. Either could do the job, because unlike traditional MMOs where you needed dedicated healers to keep up with the damage, in GW2 it’s more a matter of taking enough pressure off so that the self-heals can cope.

You could make healers in vanilla GW2. Water elementalists and certain guardian builds come to mind. There were, however, two problems:

The first, possibly as a result of overcompensation to make sure they don’t accidentally make healers essential, is that they initially gave terrible scaling for healing power. So even healing-oriented builds might as well use DPS gear, since the additional benefit you got from healing power wasn’t worth much.

The second, more important problem was that in attempting to create a game where nothing was essential except for the damage to eventually kill the enemy, they succeeded in creating a game where, if you were good enough, you really didn’t need anything except damage. Some of the mechanics even encouraged this – the original form of Defiance made control effectively worthless, for instance, and there was little point in attempting to heal if the boss’s attacks insta-downed any character they hit.

Regardless, what we got at release is not what was intended.

Having dedicated healer builds is not against the manifesto (particularly since even the druid brings other things to the table) – it’s just one of the options that fits in the ‘support’ role.

Requiring a dedicated healer, however, becomes more iffy. Requiring that the dedicated healer – or any essential role, for that matter – comes from a specific profession clearly breaks it.

That said, I have to say that I still don’t consider it the worst violation. Making an explicit ‘tank’ role required for certain encounters goes against the prerelease announcements far more. Heck, I would say that the very existence of the ascended tier shatters the “you should play to have fun, not to prepare to have fun” mantra that was the core of the prerelease publicity.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Some of you are setting yourselves up for disappointment. People are either loving a certain idea or threatening to quit the game, and absolute zero of any info in this thread is announced. At best you’re looking at some vague pictures that may not even be up to date, and at worst you’re just reading some troll’s fantasy for what GW2 should be.

Speculating is fun, but wait for the actual info to be released before getting your panties in a bunch.

in Ranger

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

Druid should have more than just one aspect and thus variety in glyphs.

Now that’s an interesting idea.

You don’t seriously believe that do you?

Leading up to GW2’s launch ArenaNet extensively, repeatedly and at length detailed how GW2 would have no holy trinity. Especially not healers. Of any kind. Everyone would have self-heals with big’ish cooldowns. Damage avoidance (i.e. getting out of red circles) and prevention would be key.

ArenaNet themselves seem to have taken this page down but it survives in the archive.

The various problems with condition damage in combination with the deliberate weakness of healing and other forms of support resulted in the least diverse PvE imaginable. Nearly everyone running with the same stats (berserker) and melee.

It was a mistake. Which is ok. To err is human. Why anyone feels a need to attempt to rewrite this history escapes me. GW2 was big news at launch and its lack of holy trinity is one of the things it was best known for.

They said they don’t want a holy trinity, which people took to mean that every class will do nothing but damage and stop to heal themselves when they are low, and they will only differ in visuals. That was never what they had in mind.

When they said they don’t want a dedicated healer, they meant they don’t want 1-2 classes to be the ones that have to take care of all the healing and cannot contribute damage-wise. And as someone that comes from City of Heroes which didn’t have a dedicated healer class, the concept of healers seems extremely shallow to me. Healing is just one way you can support your group.

And that’s what Gw2 did. From day 1, the game lauched with classes that could heal allies. Water Ele and Guardian especially had plenty of healing, and there were other support abilities. But the game was made in such a way that because you didn’t have to wait for specific classes or builds to do content, you took all that support as granted.

Druid is a support class, not a healer. If you are going by raw healing numbers, they don’t heal more than aura ele. What changed with HoT is that we are now motivated to build around apsects of our class instead of trying to do everything.

Ranger itself can build around their healing output or go condi dps. They are not shoehorned into being the token “healer” or support class. When the group is low in this game, we don’t yell at the healer, we blast a water field, use our AoE healing skills, share some Skelk Venom or even make the group invulnerable. Or just dodge. That was the idea from the beginning.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

To be exact, they wanted to get rid of classes that fullfilled a unique specific role.

They wanted to make different professions that could all stand up to perform whatever role the party would need so nobody would have to wait for year for a tank or a healer to finally show up.

Guild wars 1 also showed them that healers that can heal a party through a pvp match is indeed a big issue for PvP, and that’s why they tryed really hard to avoided creating such a thing. Though they ended up creating druid whom they still continue to nerf the healing output (at this point I wonder if some HPS will be left).

At launch, the idea was a game where you had 8 professions that could each fullfill any given role out of dps, support and control. The reality quickly showed that it wasn’t an easy balance to create and as of today they still struggle to reach this idea.

The real difficulty is that some profession thematic have an easier time to adapt for each role while other struggle. In our case, the ranger need to adapt itself through the use of the pet and… well… That’s not the best tool they created.

It’s sad but I think that both the balance team and the player community pushed the ranger into this poor state of his. What the ranger needed (and still need) is a huge overhaul of the pet mechanism. Balancing all pets skills, F2 skills, pet UI and the way we control pet should have been the top priority of the balance team for the ranger. Instead, the player base pushed the balance team to make the pet into a flavor feature instead of a real strenght of the ranger. Buffing again and again the ranger himself while ignoring the pet more and more. The druid e-spec show exactly that, a will to make the ranger almost totally independant of the pet.

The ranger and the pet need a symbiotic relationship, since launch we still have the pet behaving like a parasite, not a symbiot. (And this will stay as is, as long as they will continue to keep the pet as a semi independant tool using poorly designed skills when it’s not needed).

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

If this is true and anet fails to explain the lore behind the elite spec (again) I want to see a meme of a person getting his/her mind blown after throwing a sword or dagger from one hand to the other and realizing all the things he/she could do for 5 years but they didn’t switch the equipped hand.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

If this is true and anet fails to explain the lore behind the elite spec (again) I want to see a meme of a person getting his/her mind blown after throwing a sword or dagger from one hand to the other and realizing all the things he/she could do for 5 years but they didn’t switch the equipped hand.

A charr tossing his dagger up and down but drops it panics and grabs it with the other hand. All the other charr rangers gasp in horror (But you can’t DO THAT). But all he can see with his widening eyes are three “Skill Unlocked” messages popping up at the top of his vision.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

A charr tossing his dagger up and down but drops it panics and grabs it with the other hand. All the other charr rangers gasp in horror (But you can’t DO THAT). But all he can see with his widening eyes are three “Skill Unlocked” messages popping up at the top of his vision.

YYYYYAAAAAASSSS!

Someone with talent (obviously not me since I’m no artist) make this happen!!!!

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

ok i’m bored and i have a new updates based in some speculations from reddit and such which made some sense(but they are speculations, take with a grain of salt) and some are my conclusions.

• new skills seems to be stances (temporary enhancements in the class), probably with pulsing\continuous effects while active. They may apply some sort of visual transformation to the ranger so they are easier to identify.
  • healing skill seems like bear instance : increased maximum health, armor and probably some cleanses (similar to the ursan transformations)
  • another skill seems like a vulture. maybe do extra condi damage and regain life from such damage.
  • the elite is a wolf, i have my doubts if they are going to bring the pack aspect (summon multiple pets to fight at your side) or they are going to bring the lost pulsing effect from SotP (seriously i hope not, nerfing one skill to put it somewhere else is not the right way to do things) or something unrelated.
  • there is something like a moa. Maybe something related with the healing screech , quickness and support
  • There is another seems like the active from signet of the hunt, a gigantuous pet , could be stability and extra damage.
  • there is another one that can’t make out what it is. Although could be something related with stun and CCs.
  • If the skills are stances they could end up using F2 or F3 to cast additional effects linked to that particular instance. Like the primal from berseker. Could be AoE effects like applying the healing screech from the moa.

Traits:

• there is a rabbit so probably movement speed.
  • there is one trait wich seems a wolf howling in a rock with a couple of more animals. i guess is the trait that improve the souldbound state (with extra stats i hope as i hope for pet permastow)
  • another trait is an human hand reaching a pawn. i guess that one improve the stances (duration, cd and effects)
  • One seems like an ranger with cat eyes. It could be the trait that allows soul beasts to see invisible enemies.
  • other one seems like bring some sort of camouflage. Although i don’t know how could they make it work as a trait.
  • Another is a pet collar with a heart. Could mean improved health and extra regeneration in combat.
  • another is a lot of fangs. Probably some sort of extra condition damage.
  • The pet house and the tree icons i can’t imagine what it could be. Could be something related with cleanses and sustain.
  • a tier of the traits could be something like “active” traits, the selected could go F3 which could solve the questions about the camouflage\stealth if they bring that mechanic. It fits with the position of the reveal also thus the player chooses to go stealthy, revealer or whatever the tree means.
  • F1 would be an skill linked to the pet equipped, thus activate the traits that affect those skills.
I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I’m hoping for a power version of Rev’s skill Unyielding Anguish.

We definitely need more aoe.

in Ranger

Caeledh.5437

@ the no-healer deniers…

ANet said no healers. Explicitly. Also no tanks. This is fact.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110208051058/https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/healing-death/

They set out to ‘redefine’ the holy trinity into their trinity of damage / support / control. But they didn’t arrive there. They landed in Melee-Beserkerville.

Druid is a support class, not a healer.

What a bizarre claim. Druid is absolutely a healer. Nearly every single druid ability is a heal.

Their new weapon heals. It has a single CC ability on a long cooldown. And a single support ability on a long cooldown…. which also heals.

Their special form heals, heals, heals and more heals. With a single CC ability.

They have glyphs. More heals, 1 CC and a buff.

They have peerless burst healing – courtesy of celestial avatar – and are the only profession with serious underwater healing. Again courtesy of avatar. Their healing power is so awesome that they’re nerfed in pvp with a longer CD on the avatar.

Yes the game design allows you to equip the druid spec, not use the druid weapon or utilities and thereby not play as a healer. But the spec is 95% healing so druids is a healing (not support) class.

in Ranger

draxynnic.3719

@ the no-healer deniers…

ANet said no healers. Explicitly. Also no tanks. This is fact.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110208051058/https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/healing-death/

They set out to ‘redefine’ the holy trinity into their trinity of damage / support / control. But they didn’t arrive there. They landed in Melee-Beserkerville.

We have read it. Here are the relevant quotes:

" That is why Guild Wars 2 does not have a dedicated healing class."

This does not mean ‘no healer’. This means ’there is no profession dedicated to healing like monk was in Guild Wars 1*, whom you have to wait for in order to do content."

They then say:

“Heal: Don’t belittle the SUPPORT role by calling it heal. Healing is the least dynamic kind of support there is. It is reactive instead of proactive. Healing is for when you are already losing. In Guild Wars 2 we prefer that you support your allies before they take a beating. Sure, there are some healing spells in Guild Wars 2, but they make up a small portion of the support lines that are spread throughout the professions. Other kinds of support include buffs, active defense, and cross-profession combinations.”

This is not saying that there will be no healers. This is saying that healing is part of the support role, and supporters will be able to do things apart from healing. In fact, the reason why druid is preferred over tempest in raids is that druid also provides unique DPS support through GotL, frost, and sun spirits. Support tempests also provide more than just healing, but their non-healing support is mostly in the form of the same boons that other professions provide, so they’re less valuable because it’s likely that other players have already provided sufficient Might and Fury.

Nowhere in there do they say “no healers”. They do, however, make a big deal about not having to wait around for a specific profession to show up because only that profession can provide adequate healing.

If you think there is something we’ve missed, please point to where in that article it specifically says ‘no healers’. Not ‘there is no dedicated healing class’, when they go on to say that they intend for every profession to be able to carry out every role. Not a discussion about how they consider healing to be part of the broader role of support. The spot where they explicitly say there will be no healers in GW2. Just waving your hand vaguely at an article we’ve both read and appear to be coming out with entirely different interpretations is not going to cut it.

*Technically speaking, a well-played support Ritualist could replace a monk, as could some other professions using a ritualist secondary, but many players believed two monks were essential in eight-player content regardless.

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

in Ranger

Swagger.1459

Food for thought…

Jon P quote from this site published on 6/10/2011

http://tap-repeatedly.com/2011/06/exclusive-interview-arenanets-jon-peters-and-jonathan-sharp/

“Jon P: When we actually made the decision to not have healers, it wasn’t my job to talk to others about it directly, so I’m unsure how heavily other people were consulted.  I know some were skeptical and were worried. A lot of people like to play healers and liked to play monks in Guild Wars 1. That being said, it’s not a secret around the office that I do not like to play healers, so I wasn’t too sad to see them go!”

http://dulfy.net/2015/09/25/gw2-druid-ranger-elite-specialization-livestream-reveal/

“Druid

Bringing heavy healing to GW2, unlike anything you have seen before. Strong support, very powerful in upcoming raids and WvW. Can sustain a zerg train of 20-30 players in WvW.

Upcoming content will have stuff that you can’t just dodge to survive.

Berserk meta is going away.

Uses staff, support through positioning."

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in Ranger

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

Those are just ridiculous claims. The fact that druid have some healing on most of their skill set doesn’t make them a healer, it only shows that base ranger didn’t have enough ally healing and druid overcompensates.

Druid is not even good at healing. This was just all marketing. It’s funny that nobody even thinks of calling Tempest a healer when the amount of healing they can do puts druid to shame. Tempest is the true healer in the game because that’s all they can do as support, except maybe some protection. But it wasn’t marketed as such so people ignore that fact.

Druid on the other hand has invaluable buffs and rather limited healing for being the “healing” spec, and even that is gated behind a resource bar.

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

I’m hoping for a power version of Rev’s skill Unyielding Anguish.

We definitely need more aoe.

i agree.

I TOLD YOU SO

in Ranger

Caeledh.5437

Wow. Selectively taking a single sentence and misinterpreting it out of context. We’ve never seen that before…

Here’s a few more choice quotes.

" Don’t belittle the SUPPORT role by calling it heal. Healing is the least dynamic kind of support there is."

“Sure, there are some healing spells in Guild Wars 2, but they make up a small portion of the support lines that are spread throughout the professions.”

etc. etc.

Food for thought…

Jon P quote from this site published on 6/10/2011

http://tap-repeatedly.com/2011/06/exclusive-interview-arenanets-jon-peters-and-jonathan-sharp/

“Jon P: When we actually made the decision to not have healers, it wasn’t my job to talk to others about it directly, so I’m unsure how heavily other people were consulted.  I know some were skeptical and were worried. A lot of people like to play healers and liked to play monks in Guild Wars 1. That being said, it’s not a secret around the office that I do not like to play healers, so I wasn’t too sad to see them go!”

http://dulfy.net/2015/09/25/gw2-druid-ranger-elite-specialization-livestream-reveal/

“Druid

Bringing heavy healing to GW2, unlike anything you have seen before. Strong support, very powerful in upcoming raids and WvW. Can sustain a zerg train of 20-30 players in WvW.

Upcoming content will have stuff that you can’t just dodge to survive.

Berserk meta is going away.

Uses staff, support through positioning."

Indeed. These things are widely and correctly understood. Anyone trying to claim otherwise is just bizarre.

in Ranger

draxynnic.3719

Wow. Selectively taking a single sentence and misinterpreting it out of context. We’ve never seen that before…

Here’s a few more choice quotes.

" Don’t belittle the SUPPORT role by calling it heal. Healing is the least dynamic kind of support there is."

“Sure, there are some healing spells in Guild Wars 2, but they make up a small portion of the support lines that are spread throughout the professions.”

etc. etc.

First, you’ve cut out the portion of my post where I quoted the very lines you claim I’ve missed, except that I quoted the entire paragraph and thus provided the context as well.

Neither of those lines, nor any other in the article, say ‘no healers’ – they’re simply saying that healing fits within the broader role of support. (And that there will be no dedicated healing profession like the GW1 monk.)

Also, note that something an employee says in an interview should not be taken too literally – answers given in an interview are rarely carefully considered for every possible interpretation. In fact, they’ve been a lot more coy about giving interviews in recent years in part because of the fallout that has come when the interviewee gave an off-the-cuff answer that was either not completely accurate or was misinterpreted, and things like “You said in interview X that you wouldn’t do Y and now you’re doing Y!” is exactly the sort of thing they’re worried about.

Jon P. might have been saying ‘no healers’, or he might have been saying ‘no dedicated healing profession’, or he might have simply been talking about the state of the game at the time not having strong healers, without intending to commit the company to that decision indefinitely.

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

From a developers perspective it is a bad choice to pile even more close combat power weapons on a class which already got two of those.

As long as greatsword and sword clearly got their roles as a defensive melee sets with the latter having burst and cc options, we’re the only class that lacks a decent power mainhand. Even it’s just for bashing golems. You can still bash people in pvp with it. The leaked pictures make me thing the elite spec is getting stances, or something akin to them. If that’s the case, I prefer a power spec.

Ranger is a class clearly designed to be able perform well in both roles, yet we’re skewed towards conditions builds because our power builds are that bad, especially with the projectile hate we have in pvp. I’m personally tired of it. I want options rather than giving us yet another way to play condi.

All that being said, wether it is a condi or power spec, I’m hoping our next one after it is going to be whatever we didn’t get with this one. Cause as I said, I don’t mind either, I actually want both – and I want a melee weapon with both of them. But I don’t agree one bit with “power melee makes no sense”. Neither do I want a future power elite spec to be range based. Because that’s what you’re inclining when you’re saying that a melee power weapon doesn’t make any sense.

(edited by Lazze.9870)

in Ranger

InsaneQR.7412

based on the class mechanic and the icons i assume there are three possibilities in which direction the skills are going:
- Spectral (Lifeforce for Soulaspect)
-Minions
-Stances

Spectral skills would be straightforward and propably similar to the weaponskills with the spirit pets.
Heal: Heal and gain Lifeforce when struck
1. Utility: Gapcloser and gain lifeforce (This would be sweet)
2. Utility: idk
3. Utility. Apply Boons and gain lifeforce when striking
4. Remove Conditions and gain Lifeforce per condition
5. Beastmode (similar to lichform a transform)

Minions could interact with the pet mechanic. I thought of a concept that the pet merges with the ranger and petswap and pet command are now interacting with the “aura” activation and swapping and the spirit summoning and commanding. Similar to berserker the class mechanic interacts with the utility mechanic, only in this case the utilities are the class mechanic and not vice versa.

Minions would be just like what the utilities resembles.
bear: With some cleansing
Moa: with some healing/buffing
Wolf. pack a punch
Eagle: maybe more than one
Vulture: Condi minion
etc.

Stances could be just upflavoured warrior stances that give profession mechnic energy, cleanse, buff, let evade etc.

Pale Raiders united.

in Ranger

Swagger.1459

This is my speculation based off of past designs…

-A low budget D/D thief design with mediocre damage.

-Pets will still be used until you transform into the “soulbeast”.

-Soulbeast transformation will have another wonky resource requirement like Druid and only lasts for 10 seconds.

-Pets disappear after you transform and we get some minor pet buff in exchange.

…Most will go back to playing Druid when the novelty wears off after a month, and when players realize they are getting chewed up during melee combat in pve, spvp and wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

Yeh maybe something in between Revenant and thief, From revenant the energy thing for the stances probably so you could activate those and have an upkeep in a similar way to glint revenant. That would make sense as otherwise each of the stances would have to be overcharged (and OP) thus you could keep more than one instance at the same time making the souldbeast to have the needed adaptability a melee dps class thief style needs without access to all that stealth, mobility and burst.

However still it is out of question ranger core class must be improved, not dps wise but do some houskeeping within the traits and skills to remove locking animations and wonky mechanics.

I TOLD YOU SO

(edited by anduriell.6280)

in Ranger

InsaneQR.7412

Yeh maybe something in between Revenant and thief, From revenant the energy thing for the stances probably so you could activate those and have an upkeep in a similar way to glint revenant. That would make sense as otherwise each of the stances would have to be overcharged (and OP) thus you could keep more than one instance at the same time making the souldbeast to have the needed adaptability a melee dps class thief style without access to all that stealth, mobility and burst needs.

However still it is out of question ranger core class must be improved, not dps wise but do some houskeeping within the traits and skills to remove locking animations and wonky mechanics.

Agreeing on the later. Some utilities need improvements too. Signets need better actives and CD. Muddy terrain is a joke since 2012 and spirits need still some inprovements.
Traits are imbalanced and some just outperform in any game mode in comparison to others.

Pale Raiders united.

in Ranger

Posted by: Amityel.5324

Amityel.5324

i hope it will be something similar to shaman in other games