Spirits need to be mobile

in Ranger

Posted by: Gurbo.7620

Gurbo.7620

Hi, I am going to attempt to put my point across as to why Ranger spirits need to follow or become a pet type, almost as they once were.

In WvW, PvE, Leveling, even Spvp, the fight is always moving. You’re never going to stay within 600-1000 yards from where you’re standing for long. If you place spirits, you better be prepared to destroy it and wait for your cool down just to place it down and have it useful for another 7 seconds maximum.

I’m my opinion, I think spirits need to be mobile. They used to follow the ranger, or at least have the option to, and keep the buff nearby. It wasn’t op, and it wasn’t unfair. While Other profs such as Guardians and Necros can summon pets to follow them. The guardian can summon his “spirit weapons” and they follow him just like spirits should.
It’s just almost a waste of time to place a spirit in most situations because you’re going to out range them since they can’t follow you. (Unless of course you’re facing a boss in PvE that is in a small area) but even in a majority of PvE boss fights, the range or the size of the room that the boss is in is larger than the radius in which your spirits can cover.

I may be wrong, and maybe there is a way to make your spirits follow you still and I have overlooked it, but I’m just wondering what your opinions are or if there is an explanation as to why this is.

Thanks all.
Gurbo—- Sea of Sorrows—-[Rx]

in Ranger

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

Spirits need an overhaul, as well as the Ranger in general needs serious touch-ups.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sallouce.1395

Sallouce.1395

I agree and for my two bits I think it would be cool to have them follow you around like a mini (un-targetable/ maybe with a passive) and activating them grounds them for a short time emitting their bonuses. 50/50 active/cd or less.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Spirits don’t need to be mobile they need better effect. In gw1 spirits weren’t mobile but they were strong. Frozen soil = prevented ressing. Edge of extinction = when a mob died all creature of that type would take damage.

Rangers in Gw1 used placement and positioning, Our spirits just need to be better and the number of targets needs to be up’d. Mesmer have two skill that have no taget limit and one skill with 10. Spirits just need to be better.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

Spirits don’t need to be mobile they need better effect. In gw1 spirits weren’t mobile but they were strong. Frozen soil = prevented ressing. Edge of extinction = when a mob died all creature of that type would take damage.

Rangers in Gw1 used placement and positioning, Our spirits just need to be better and the number of targets needs to be up’d. Mesmer have two skill that have no taget limit and one skill with 10. Spirits just need to be better.

Guild Wars 1 I’d say wasn’t nearly revolving around movement as much as GW2 does.
There were no movement skills at all except for shadowsteps and ride the lightning.

Don’t forget, you couldn’t move while attacking either.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Guild Wars 1 I’d say wasn’t nearly revolving around movement as much as GW2 does.
There were no movement skills at all except for shadowsteps and ride the lightning.

Don’t forget, you couldn’t move while attacking either.

Even so, the spirits in GW1 had the equivalent of 3000 range. We need the same here, then lack of movement is fine, you can just position them strategically.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

Spirits in GW2 could never work like spirits in GW1 unless they take away the active. Having an active skill is half the problem, because it prevents the skill recharging until after the spirit has died.

If you moved out of the range of the spirit in GW1 then you just cast a new spirit. In GW2 you first need to waste the active to kill the spirit and then wait for the recharge to occur.

But, at least in the current incarnation you can kill the spirit with the active, because previously, if you didn’t trait for mobile spirits, then you would have to wait the entire life-span of the spirit plus the cool-down before summoning a new one.

Taking away the active (or rolling it into an on-cast effect) would completely change spirits into something a lot more like GW1. IMO we don’t actually ‘need’ mobility, recastability would work just as well.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

They don’t need to be mobile. They just ened to be invulnerable like banners and allow the ranger to reposition them just like banners and turrets can be grabbed and carried around to the next spot.

It would also help if the stupid spirits were ground targeted on summon and were off the aggro table.

in Ranger

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

They don’t need to be mobile. They just ened to be invulnerable like banners and allow the ranger to reposition them just like banners and turrets can be grabbed and carried around to the next spot.

It would also help if the stupid spirits were ground targeted on summon and were off the aggro table.

I think this is a fantastic idea. The effects still need to be improved though. Being invulnerable may be pushing it but they need more hp and at least a 50% native dmg mitigation so people if they consider them enough of a threat they should have to focus them instead of destroying them with just cleave or 1 button press.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Spirits in GW2 could never work like spirits in GW1 unless they take away the active. Having an active skill is half the problem, because it prevents the skill recharging until after the spirit has died.

If you moved out of the range of the spirit in GW1 then you just cast a new spirit. In GW2 you first need to waste the active to kill the spirit and then wait for the recharge to occur.

But, at least in the current incarnation you can kill the spirit with the active, because previously, if you didn’t trait for mobile spirits, then you would have to wait the entire life-span of the spirit plus the cool-down before summoning a new one.

Taking away the active (or rolling it into an on-cast effect) would completely change spirits into something a lot more like GW1. IMO we don’t actually ‘need’ mobility, recastability would work just as well.

I would not be against spirits not having an active skill as they have now. I think they could remove it and make it a teleport to spirit skill that also kills the spirit. That would kill two birds with one stone, imo. You get more mobility (for the ranger), and the ability to reset the spirit. If the range was good, this would be the best option imo, but them staying exactly as they are now would be fine too, if they added a -33% CD to Nature’s Vengeance.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

I would not be against spirits not having an active skill as they have now. I think they could remove it and make it a teleport to spirit skill that also kills the spirit. That would kill two birds with one stone, imo. You get more mobility (for the ranger), and the ability to reset the spirit. If the range was good, this would be the best option imo, but them staying exactly as they are now would be fine too, if they added a -33% CD to Nature’s Vengeance.

While that sounds interesting, it would be incredibly unbalanced and I doubt they would give Ranger access to pretty much on-demand self portaling. Essentially it would give us up to 5 skills on the bar at once that function like the chronomancer’s new elite, but with AoE effects surrounding the portal exit and a much lower recharge. Imagine how much easier jumping puzzles would be with on-demand ‘resets’.

Not to mention that it wouldn’t actually solve the issue. If you’ve moved out of range of the spirit, you don’t generally want to teleport back to it. e.g. If I’ve placed a spirit down at the outer gate, I don’t want to teleport back to it when the zerg is at the inner gate, I want to summon a new one by the inner gate.

If that was the way to kill the spirit and initiate the recharge, then you’d have to wait the full spirit lifetime plus the cooldown before you can summon a new one. From the point of view of the OP wanting mobile spirits, giving them an active effect that portals the Ranger back to the spirit would make them worse.

It would be a cool F2 skill for a new HoT pet though.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

(edited by Kaz.5430)

in Ranger

Posted by: Redemer.2601

Redemer.2601

spirits needs a remake imo even before the update they had issues which since the updat has only become bigger for instance they have HP!!!!! no other area buff in the game as far as i know have HP
and now that they cant move at all just makes it more silly since U have 2 place them so far from your teamates as possible for it not to be hit by the aoes that get cast around making them close to useless
and ofc the extra hp the get from Nature’s Vengeance doesnt really do much they still die in 2 sec

make them inv or make them able 2 move when traited plz for the love of frost spirit

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

In order for spirits to be effective they need at least a two of the following changes:

Spirits need 3,000 range so they can cover a wide area without being moved.
Spirits need to function like traps in that they go on cooldown after they are set.
Spirit actives need to teleport the spirit to the ranger’s location where they go off.

With all three changes (The cooldown isn’t visible while the spirit is alive as you need a place for the spirit active skill, but we know Anet isn’t exactly averse to hiding cooldowns from us anyway) spirits would be able to cover more area with their passive effects and boons, would be able to be repositioned 20 seconds after they were first set down so they could be easily moved to new areas as the fight moves, and the ranger could actually benefit from the active effects as they trigger where the ranger is.

Another buff that would be nice is:

Traited spirits have retaliation.

Suddenly the enemy is punished for trying to cleave the spirits down. Compensation for how easily killed they are compared to banners.

in Ranger

Gurbo.7620

Well I think there are more than enough reasons as to why ranger spirits could use an update or a rework, but the bottom line is they’re currently not viable. I would love to use a spirit build. I’ve always been fascinated with them. But it’s just a shame that they’re lacking a large amount of presence in the game right now.

in Ranger

Posted by: Raziel.8072

Raziel.8072

I don’t think they need to be mobile, I think they need a massive increase in range and a cd reduction though. I also think the elite needs fixing so you’re not wasting the elite by using it’s active. Right now their range is so ridiculously low that 1 of 2 things will happen:
-get burned within a few hits of stray aoe
-you have to basically grind up against them to get any benefit, and any melee in your team will quickly be out of range as the fight moves around

The actives can stay short range, they are meant to be, but the passives need upping at least to 1200. Until this happens I doubt they will see much, if any, play anymore.

in Ranger

Gurbo.7620

Agreed. I think they don’t NEED to be mobile but they need to have their range increased or be mobile. Or something… But like everyone has said. Spirits need love in order for them to be anywhere near viable.

I hope Anet reads our forums and takes action.

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

Make spirits into Auras.

The buff radiates from the ranger. The active effect is centered on the ranger. There is nothing to pick up and move, because it radiates from the ranger.

If they are so in love with the idea of “spirits”, the spirit can be visualized by a single non-combat spirit NPC that follows the ranger, glowing whatever color aura’s the ranger is running.

Thats not OP, its a needed QoL improvement. The only arguement I can imagine against not giving us that kind of QoL improvement is “Counter Play”. But do banners have counter play, other than leave the area and hope someone doesn’t chase you with it? Just cast time interrupts, but spirits as auras could easily have cast times for summoning or activation too. does vampric aura have counter play? does Soothing Mist (which when traited, is over 200hp/sec for the party)?

It would be a huge boon to everyone (pun intended), and important enough to want to include rangers in every single existing meta.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Ranger

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

The thing is.. there quite a few viable solutions to the spirits problem and ALL of them are better than the current mess.

They are completely and utterly useless outside dungs/fracs. Like literally the most useless kittening thing you could put on your skills is a spirit.

The only problem is Anet – they are not willing to even give spirits a look. its completely pointless. The fact is they don’t want to put in resources into fixing spirits. Its just a waste of time/resources in anet’s eyes.

The community can whine all day on forums about pets and spirits being junk, but it won’t matter if anets devs aren’t listening. It’s just a pointless task for them to revamp spirits. Thats why spirits are what they are right now. complete and utter junk.
Thank anet for that

in Ranger

Posted by: Redemer.2601

Redemer.2601

Make spirits into Auras.

The buff radiates from the ranger. The active effect is centered on the ranger. There is nothing to pick up and move, because it radiates from the ranger.

If they are so in love with the idea of “spirits”, the spirit can be visualized by a single non-combat spirit NPC that follows the ranger, glowing whatever color aura’s the ranger is running.

Thats not OP, its a needed QoL improvement. The only arguement I can imagine against not giving us that kind of QoL improvement is “Counter Play”. But do banners have counter play, other than leave the area and hope someone doesn’t chase you with it? Just cast time interrupts, but spirits as auras could easily have cast times for summoning or activation too. does vampric aura have counter play? does Soothing Mist (which when traited, is over 200hp/sec for the party)?

It would be a huge boon to everyone (pun intended), and important enough to want to include rangers in every single existing meta.

like the idea but imo it should radiate from the pet instead because that way you can still use stone spirit for instance even with LB and support you melees

FYI I have NEVER been a fan of the entire swap pet as often as possible game play that ranger has