Started a ranger, reading alot of negativity?

in Ranger

Posted by: Edseo.7583

Edseo.7583

Q:

I just started playing with my friend and created a ranger. It’s level 10 now, but lurking around the forums I seem to view a lot of displeasure about the Ranger class, particularly about it being poor in the end game.

Should I continue to play it or do I realize and re-roll? Advice from other rangers please?

in Ranger

Posted by: Filterkat.2143

Filterkat.2143

A:

@ OP – Ranger is generally regarded quite highly in all end game aspects as long as you build appropriately for the situation.

Open World & leveling – Easy mode. Pets take aggro, you can roll full glass and pew pew from a distance or facetank in melee since pets will generally take the aggro anyway and you wont take much damage. World bosses/champs – know the fights and swap between range/melee appropriately for the fight. Sit back – get bags.

Dungeons/fractals – Rangers are very useful since they can bring frost spirit/spotter which boosts the whole parties DPS by a significant amount. You also do substantial damage yourself if running the meta dungeon build. Like others have stated though, this build requires full glass (zerker) and a melee setup to be optimal.

sPvP – we are top tier point holders & effective roamers. Almost everyone will have problems dealing with a spirit ranger or BM bunker on point. There have also recently emerged several effective roaming condi spam builds that do great spike damage and pressure other players effectively.

WvW – Depends on what you like to do. If you like small group or roaming, rangers excel at this kind of combat and are a great class for doing this. If you plan on running with a larger group or full on zerg however, other classes tend to be better for that. Zerging is really the only part of the game where rangers are sub par as they do not bring anything beneficial to a zerg. But for a smaller group ( 10 or under ) rangers have a lot of useful tools that can help out in smaller skirmishes.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarision.6347

Sarision.6347

Same question as usual: Do you like pets?

If yes, stick with the profession.

If not, then reroll.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ronin.5038

Ronin.5038

It’s not that the ranger is poor, its that most of the people playing ranger are poor.

For some reason, the ranger class attracts the most inept, lazy, selfish and stubborn players. Most random ranger players I meet seem to think that ranger = pure ranged and so we get short/longbow campers in dungeons (usually with a terrible pet in tow and bad traits/utilities) refusing to use a much superior 1 handed sword or even the greatsword.

You should definitely continue to play the ranger, just remember to do some research on the class when you hit 80. Practicing how to use the melee weapons while levelling helps to.

(edited by Ronin.5038)

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Read this: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Guide-PvE-Meta-Ranger/first#post3868491

The idea that rangers are poor at the end-game PvE or WvW comes from people using bows and bears, commonly known as “bearbows”. Bearbows are generally kicked from any party in any game mode on sight.

Competent rangers are very welcome in any game mode. Educate yourself on what rangers do, because they are far more complicated than a warrior, for example.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lace.9472

Lace.9472

Read this: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Guide-PvE-Meta-Ranger/first#post3868491

The idea that rangers are poor at the end-game PvE or WvW comes from people using bows and bears, commonly known as “bearbows”. Bearbows are generally kicked from any party in any game mode on sight.

First question, do you mean people using bows AND bears together. Or people who EITHER bows OR bears?

Second question, if our meta dictates a melee only focus in high level content and any ranged weapons are not ideal or balanced – then would you not agree that warrants negativity within the community?

Third, almost every mmo has a “archer” profession. These tend to be very popular. Do you agree it’s excusable to assume some players would chose the Ranger profession (being the closest profession to Archer) and would be negatively impressed at the inability to used ranged weapons in high level content?

Disclaimers (I find it annoying that I have to specify these, but meh): I hereby state I do not assume nor expect the Ranger class to mean “ranged”. On that basis I do not expect the ranger to be exclusively ranged. However I do expect the ranger to be inclusively ranged. So I expect a VIABLE ranged build in high level content. Of course, I would expect a viable build for ALL weapon sets, classing all weapon sets for all professions that aren’t ‘viable’ in high level content – as a on going failure to deliver on core gameplay mechanics by AN.

(edited by Lace.9472)

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

It’s not so much that rangers are terrible with bows, its just that in many places this game just doesnt support ranged combat in general. PvE is the most obious example, where no class (of those that have a choice) can efficiently range. Its always better to go melee because stacking helps with buffing and melee damage is always higher than ranged damage.

So in that sense, it’s not a ranger issue its just how the game is. Rangers just suffer more from it because people try to force being the “Archer” class it even in situations where ranging is just not approapriate.

PvP wise, the SB is probably the most commonly use Ranger weapon, so the bows clearly have a place at the high end when used correctly, and LB is also good if use well, but moreso in WvW than PvP.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Filterkat.2143

First question, do you mean people using bows AND bears together. Or people who EITHER bows OR bears?

Second question, if our meta dictates a melee only focus in high level content and any ranged weapons are not ideal or balanced – then would you not agree that warrants negativity within the community?

Third, almost every mmo has a “archer” profession. These tend to be very popular. Do you agree it’s excusable to assume some players would chose the Ranger profession (being the closest profession to Archer) and would be negatively impressed at the inability to used ranged weapons in high level content?

Disclaimers (I find it annoying that I have to specify these, but meh): I hereby state I do not assume nor expect the Ranger class to mean “ranged”. On that basis I do not expect the ranger to be exclusively ranged. However I do expect the ranger to be inclusively ranged. So I expect a VIABLE ranged build in high level content. Of course, I would expect a viable build for ALL weapon sets, classing all weapon sets for all professions that aren’t ‘viable’ in high level content – as a on going failure to deliver on core gameplay mechanics by AN.

It depends what kind of high level content you are talking about. Open world, World bosses, PvP and WvW ranged is completely viable, even probably preffered. Most world bosses basically require you to attack from range, and range in PvP/WvW can give you a distinct advantage.

The problem with the melee-centric meta you mention for fractals/dungeons isn’t neccesarily that the weaponsets are badly designed, its that the meta is to stack buffs to gain the maximum possible damage from the combination of fury/might, giving the party maximum possible damage. This means that players have to be in a certain proximity to receive these buffs, thus forcing players to stack together to benefit from them, and since the majority, if not all of the weaponsets on all of the classes with the highest damage coeficients are melee, people stack melee to optimise damage.

The main reason the melee weapons were generally designed with higher damage coeficients or attack speeds (higher DPS), is to encourage a risk/reward system in the game. Being in melee range means you are taking more risk in taking damage from mobs, so it only makes sense that for taking this risk, players are rewarded with higher damage. If people could run full glass and do more damage from a range, id assume that the meta would shift to all ranged stacking, since more damage would be done from range, and there would be lower risk in going down since they can pew pew mobs down from a distance and take much less damage.

I would still argue that rangers are still the best class dealing damage with a bow, and bows are completely viable in 80% of the games content. Its just not optimal in dungeons or fractals where stacking in melee is generally the best option to maximise dps for all classes, not exclusively rangers (bar a few isolated situations requiring ranged combat).

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Ignore the negativity, its more that its complaining that rangers cant fill slot “x” or “y” as good as class “x” while ignoring that several other classes arent as good at that aspect either.

The game is not that tightly wound that you need to be absolutely focused in one area to succeed. Filling multiple roles is what a ranger does well (and can even excel) and for many of us is the fun.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Posted by: Edseo.7583

Edseo.7583

Thanks everyone for your replies, most if not all have been helpful! I have decided to continue leveling, if i see any major red flags along the way i can always reroll! Thanks again!

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

I think everyone covered the questions you asked me. In addition to bows being pretty much unacceptable in dungeon runs, bears are the lowest DPS pet and offer little utility in any of the 3 game modes (CC pets or damage pets are the most common.) Thus “bearbow” is pretty much the worst of the worst.

Bows in WvW have a bad reputation because if you catch a ranger using a bow away from a zerg, he’s usually an extremely easy target. Many of us play with that stereotype and run bows while solo roaming, but we all do it while having a melee swap. It’s not possible to maintain bow distance in WvW or PvP due to all the gap closers and the fact that running forward is faster than running sideways or backwards.

Now that you know this, you will avoid any redflags and a need to reroll.

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

@ OP – Ranger is generally regarded quite highly in all end game aspects as long as you build appropriately for the situation.

Open World & leveling – Easy mode. Pets take aggro, you can roll full glass and pew pew from a distance or facetank in melee since pets will generally take the aggro anyway and you wont take much damage. World bosses/champs – know the fights and swap between range/melee appropriately for the fight. Sit back – get bags.

Dungeons/fractals – Rangers are very useful since they can bring frost spirit/spotter which boosts the whole parties DPS by a significant amount. You also do substantial damage yourself if running the meta dungeon build. Like others have stated though, this build requires full glass (zerker) and a melee setup to be optimal.

sPvP – we are top tier point holders & effective roamers. Almost everyone will have problems dealing with a spirit ranger or BM bunker on point. There have also recently emerged several effective roaming condi spam builds that do great spike damage and pressure other players effectively.

WvW – Depends on what you like to do. If you like small group or roaming, rangers excel at this kind of combat and are a great class for doing this. If you plan on running with a larger group or full on zerg however, other classes tend to be better for that. Zerging is really the only part of the game where rangers are sub par as they do not bring anything beneficial to a zerg. But for a smaller group ( 10 or under ) rangers have a lot of useful tools that can help out in smaller skirmishes.

If you are going to help, please don’t make the ranger seem like the best class there is.
The first line is very misleading, as rangers are the opposite.

You are also encouraging the “Bearbow” playstyle with the “Open world” paragraph.

Otherwise everything fits

in Ranger

Filterkat.2143

If you are going to help, please don’t make the ranger seem like the best class there is.
The first line is very misleading, as rangers are the opposite.

You are also encouraging the “Bearbow” playstyle with the “Open world” paragraph.

Otherwise everything fits

I never said ranger is the best class there is. No class is the best class at everything, otherwise everyone would roll that. I said they are highly regarded, which is true, if you are talking to people who actually have a clue about the game. Im not talking about the oppinion on the playerbase, as I will agree, there are plenty of terribad rangers out there, probably moreso than other classes, but anyone who knows anything about all the different classes, knows that the ranger, as a class running frost spirit/spotter is a significant party DPS increase and is a valued addition to a dungeon party. Or that a spirit or bunker BM ranger is a force to be reckoned with in sPvP. Obviously there are still people who have the 4 warrior 1 mesmer full zerk, no other classes mentality… but those people are ignorant and have no idea about what the other classes bring to the table. they just want of the 4 absolute max DPS build available and one util class because they think that that will equal the most overall DPS for the party. However tests have concluded that having spotter/frost spirit in the mix decreases party boss killtimes. And other classes also bring things to the table that warriors and mesmers cant.

As for bearbow, no I am not encouraging it. bear is one of the worst possible pets to choose from. Bows however are completely fine. In full zerk with LB in open world, I can usually kill my target before even getting into melee range to use S/WH. Its also basically mandatory to use a bow or ranged weapon for most world bosses, not just for rangers, but for all classes. So while i am not encouraging bearbow, I am definately encouraging the use of bows in open world.

in Ranger

Posted by: Flintbrow.7985

Flintbrow.7985

Yes, the full zerk LB is, like somebody else said, a railgun (esp. with Read the Wind). I’ve found sigils of strength and fire to be particularly effective with it. Opening at max distance-ish will just melt most face in 4-5 seconds. Very fun stuff.

Neenu Waffler-Warrior for what once was the Toast-

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Ranger is alright open world and pve, mediocre in spvp, and a liability in wvw.
Single classes can outperform ranger in every category.

Ranger | Elementalist

in Ranger

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

FilterKat responded very appropriately. The profession is great and is over all one of the most fun professions to play.
Just know that despite what some might say, Ranger has one of the highest learning curves, arguably the highest. You can pew pew from a distance while your pet tanks which takes no effort what so ever, but the minute you find yourself against a non-AI enemy you’ll need a lot more practice as your pet will be completely ignored.
My best advice to you would be to explore the profession. Experiment with builds until you find what you like and learn that build inside and out. A skilled Ranger is one of the most powerful 1v1’ers in the game, but outside of a 1v1 your chances of success will decrease significantly. So if you’re a duelist, Ranger is a good choice, if not, you might want to reconsider.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

What FilterKat gently excluded was our greatest liability strength, the pet.

The reason why you can use Bearbow in open PvE is because your enemy, even the hardest bosses (tequatly and tri-worm excluded) will die anyways and you’ll hardly set yourself in danger.

The pet can be very good in dungeon, since your targets are not moving, so your pets can’t be kited. They tend, however, to die very quickly to AoE heavy bosses like subject alpha. Same applies to your frost spirit.

At last, even a thief is easier and cheesier to play in dungeons. You have to do more to achieve the same effect as other classes get. You have to compensate your pet and to prepare your buffs (like putting the frost spirit in a safe place) before you can start to fight. But like I said earlier, if you want to be effective, roll warrior. They do the same, if not more, with less punishment if they screw their combo.

And to be honest; those “educated” dungeon- or fractalgroups: You wont find them with the LFG-Tool.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

The pet can be very good in dungeon, since your targets are not moving, so your pets can’t be kited. They tend, however, to die very quickly to AoE heavy bosses like subject alpha. Same applies to your frost spirit.

Pets should rarely die to Alpha. I assume most AI AoEs have the same 5 target limit that humans do, so your pet will never even be targeted. In Alpha’s case, you can see this in effect if your in a PUG that panics and scatters. In that case it’s not uncommon that you are never targeted at all in the fight because Alpha is attacking 4 players and the NPC, or some other random combo of entities.

Arah and fractals aside though, I can’t immediately think of places your pet should die. The last bosses on CM P2 and AC P2will often kill your pet if you don’t recall them out of the AoE circles, but… just recall them if you care (those bosses melt in seconds anyway.) Frontal attack bosses you have to do the same thing, Wraithlord’s Crusher, Malrona, Howling King etc., recalling your pet if they are standing directly in front of them saves them. As a fail safe, you can swap the pet.

As for the Frost Spirit, we should get a thread going on optimal locations for each boss or big fight. Maybe I’ll take a few screenshots next time I do a dungeon run. A lot of times you can place the FS in a different room or someplace you wouldn’t immediately think to put it. For example the big pile of elite golems in CoE, you can put the FS outside the door of that room, then when everyone goes in to the corner, you’re still in range of the FS. FS = completely safe.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

@op
Take everything HHR says with a hugr grain of salt and remember that he speaks almost entirely about PvE.

Rangers will be as viable as any other profession as long as you know what you are doing, and aslong as you actually use the pet for what its worth, and don’t just neglect it.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

Don’t listen to Prysin, he just has a big heart for those filthy animals we call our “best friends”.

Seriously, Prysin is one of those guys who say that the pet isn’t broken, it just needs to be played well. I’m one of those who say it’s broken. After all, you have to decide if you consider the pet worth investing time and resources in.

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)

in Ranger

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

I prefer the term “handicap” instead of “liability” when it comes to pets :P

in Ranger

Posted by: Rentapest.6503

Rentapest.6503

It’s not that the ranger is poor, its that most of the people playing ranger are poor.

For some reason, the ranger class attracts the most inept, lazy, selfish and stubborn players. Most random ranger players I meet seem to think that ranger = pure ranged and so we get short/longbow campers in dungeons (usually with a terrible pet in tow and bad traits/utilities) refusing to use a much superior 1 handed sword or even the greatsword.

This is precisely the attitude I have a problem with. Look at the profession name “RANGER” it does not say “melee” it says “range”. Also, when you think of a “ranger” what do you envisage? I’m sure most people would answer with something along the lines of “a person with a bow”.

I made a Ranger because I enjoy playing ranged classes and especially enjoy bow-users. But unless you spec into group-support and play as melee, you can forget people wanting you in their groups with them for dungeons etc.

I’d like to quote the discription for the Ranger profession taken from the Guild Wars website…

Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. Unparalleled archers, rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows. With traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation.

That to me intimates that this is a ranged bow profession. Perhaps with the option to swap into melee combat for when enemies are flanking you, but otherwise primarily ranged.

The original concept of the game was to have a feeling of both balance and uniqueness when it comes to the different proffessions. This means that since there are no dedicated roles like tank or healer, any player should in theory be able to chose any proffession and perform their desired role. Unfortunately there will always be one or two setups that will have an advantage performing a certain role, these we call “cookie cutter” builds.

My point and problem with the Ranger proffession is that they are useless in their original form. What I mean to say is that a Ranger cannot play ranged as intended because it is not viable in all scenarios.

I like to PvE a lot, but Longbow is simply not viable dps. Therefor my options are play melee ranger or another proffession thus going against the original concept of the game, which is meant to allow any proffession to perform any role.

I think that Rangers need a serious overhaul and it’s about time their ranged dps was improved to make them viable.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

THE MOST STUPID QUOTE EVER

STOP QUOTING THAT OLD FART OF A DESCRIPTION. IT IS 100% WRONG; OUTDATED, MISLEADING, UNTRUE AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST, IRRELEVANT TO TODAYS RANGER!!

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Kitten, not the whole “ranger derives from ranged combat” misconception again!

No amount of ranged DPS is going to make bows wanted in a dungeon run. People stay close to each other so they can support each other. Ronin’s post addresses that: rangers are usually extremely selfish. Sitting completely out of harms way not contributing anything to anyone is not good group play.

One time I did a CoF2 run where an incompetent warrior sat on the rock during the assassins stage using a longbow. That left me and 3 spell casters down on the floor to take 20% more hits, and him neither giving nor receiving any boons. We wiped twice before kicking him. We finished the run effortlessly on the third try with a player who stayed on the floor taking his share of the hits, giving and receiving boons, and doing cleave damage.

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

THE MOST STUPID QUOTE EVER

STOP QUOTING THAT OLD FART OF A DESCRIPTION. IT IS 100% WRONG; OUTDATED, MISLEADING, UNTRUE AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST, IRRELEVANT TO TODAYS RANGER!!

LISTEN TO THIS MAN, HE USES CAPS! AND HAS COOKIES (I assume) !

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

One time I did a CoF2 run where an incompetent warrior sat on the rock during the assassins stage using a longbow. That left me and 3 spell casters down on the floor to take 20% more hits, and him neither giving nor receiving any boons. We wiped twice before kicking him. We finished the run effortlessly on the third try with a player who stayed on the floor taking his share of the hits, giving and receiving boons, and doing cleave damage.

I sat on a rock with the ranger on longbow one time. We didn’t wipe…

in Ranger

Posted by: urdriel.8496

urdriel.8496

The current ranger is the combination of 2 classes that Anet had in mind for GW2 ,a Beastmaster and a Marksman, Anet had not enough time to develop both classes so, they make a mix with both , that mix is called ranger.

You can use bows, but the best dps is with melee weapons.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Clearly it was because you were a ranger using a bow instead of a warrior using a bow. You carried your group there.

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

Clearly it was because you were a ranger using a bow instead of a warrior using a bow. You carried your group there.

I’m proud now.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

The current ranger is the combination of 2 classes that Anet had in mind for GW2 ,a Beastmaster and a Marksman, Anet had not enough time to develop both classes so, they make a mix with both , that mix is called ranger.

that is the single best statement you’ve ever said. congrats sir.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lace.9472

Lace.9472

Am I allowed to be frustrated?
This exact issue was bought up heavily in both the GW2 official forums during testing and also GW2Guru/GW1Guru before and during test – which AN devs read and commented.

The community were very heavily suggesting an option to stow the forced pet mechanic for a “boost”. But AN unwavering in their confidence that hey could fix the pet AI. They have*1. But they have not made it very viable for high level content (dungeons, wvw zergs, fractals etc). But basically the community weren’t convinced in the design AN seemed to be aiming for with Ranger and gave very useful feedback in that regard.

What’s more is throughout GW1 the Ranger was one of the worst classes for high level content. With the exception of Barrage/Pet FoW you either got left out of Hardmode high level content completely – or had to run a build focused heavily around 2nd profession (and no bow). Years later we’re talking about the exact same thing, you need to avoid bows and hit melee builds to be viable – I can’t believe it.

I just feel like I’ve been waiting GW’s whole lifetime for a viable ranged build for high level content and to be honest I have little hope it will ever change. By any standards, AN to deliver a ranged high level content build have emphatically failed.

Maybe a theif shortbow would be better?
Or maybe an Archer/Marksman class in the future?
If you want a viable ranged build for high level content do you need to find a new game?
If a dev was here right now I’d ask the following:

1. What is the intended “design” for the Ranger considering high lvl content?
2. If that excludes bows, why is that in their design?
3. If you can’t play high lvl content as an archer with existing classess is a new one in the pipe line?
4. Do you recognise the overwhelming desire for players to play as an archer in MMO’s?

*1 Lets just say they’re fixed for my argument. But even then, it’s only JUST well after release. I don’t want to get into a pet thing discussion.

(edited by Lace.9472)

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

Anet was the ones to suggest an actual buff system for stowing pet, however they also shot it down a few posts later.

I do not mind the pet, it is great. IF you bother to work with it, instead of against it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

I really like ranger, it offers lots of fun gameplay and I feel it has a fair amount of builds you can do unless you are doing higher end dungeons where as per usual power/crit/ferocity reigns. Either way, it has the feel of a ranger that is more about ranging and less about weapon type, which I love.

The problem with ranged weapons is less ranger and more ranged mechanics, obviously with caveats but… it really is where the biggest crux is, imo. The global damage reduction due to range compared to melee to a lesser degree, the buff range conundrum to a larger degree. But this is also a fact that is way more of an impact in PvE. More often than not the most well-played, dangerous rangers I meet when roaming or such in WvW is ones that use shortbow or longbow.

But, I just think a-net has to change the game’s range mechanics if they want it to always be equalish to melee, and it must be pretty hard to do without rooting the range to the ground to balance the power of being out of harms way more, and that would really suck. Maybe you could make some kind of PvE dungeon buff for ranged, I don’t know. I do think that is the only place where it is a significant problem, though.

in Ranger

Posted by: that baby stealing dingo.7216

that baby stealing dingo.7216

I just started playing with my friend and created a ranger. It’s level 10 now, but lurking around the forums I seem to view a lot of displeasure about the Ranger class, particularly about it being poor in the end game.

Should I continue to play it or do I realize and re-roll? Advice from other rangers please?

Ranger is a solid class. Truth is everyone complains about their class, but most classes are strong. Pick your pet, pick your strategy, and pick your RP idea if you want one. Then Ranger on.

If you’re new to the game, my advice is to start a thief, and level it to 20 or so. Every class you play after thief will feel strong. Also, don’t take the forums too seriously. A lot of level 80 meta players that scorn everything that isn’t a level 80 meta posting here.

I have a sword, a dagger, and an estimated life span of 2.47 seconds.

in Ranger

Posted by: Grim Rogue.6259

Grim Rogue.6259

Honestly, you will find negativity in spades on the forums. Lots of good advice above on ways to consider playing it, but at the end of the day, do what you like. You bought the game with your hard earned money.. enjoy it your way. I have had rangers since my first day in GW1 and though I am experimenting with Warrior and have logged more hours on my Necro, I still am sitting here reading the ranger section and preparing to go back to my ranger. Simply because I enjoy it.

Don’t stress over the negativity, go have fun.

in Ranger

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

If you are looking for a ranged option or class in GW2 – you need to find a new game.

GW2 is a melee based game with ranged “options” .

Keep in mind those options are generally looked down upon and not very useful.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

in Ranger

Posted by: Aggrostemma.1703

Aggrostemma.1703

Every single part of the GW2 is doable with a ranger….
Fastest? Not always
Easiest? Not always.
Optimal? Not always.
Doable? YES!!!!

Avoid the minmaxing speedrun dungeon groups, avoid the elitist WvW guilds and you are fine.

Play the game and have fun!

#I no words have"

in Ranger

Posted by: that baby stealing dingo.7216

that baby stealing dingo.7216

If you are looking for a ranged option or class in GW2 – you need to find a new game.

No. Ranged options are looked down upon only by a specific subset of the community, not “generally.”

I have a sword, a dagger, and an estimated life span of 2.47 seconds.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Also, don’t take the forums too seriously. A lot of level 80 meta players that scorn everything that isn’t a level 80 meta posting here.

Ironically, the “meta” people who denounce rangers are themselves often completely out-of-touch with the current meta. The current meta, in sPvP, WvW and Dungeons/Fractals, all have corresponding ranger builds that play to their strengths (Bunkers, Roamers and Melee spirit spotters respectively)

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Ranger

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

No. Ranged options are looked down upon only by a specific subset of the community, not “generally.”

Ranged damage is inferior to melee by a LARGE margin in pve.

I did not create the rule set for GW2 – Anet did. Quite frankly I am not very thrilled with the current standard either. A game that is soley based on dps in which is even more limited by melee dps being so superior to ranged and direct damage being so superior to condi – in a pve environment.

GW2 quit frankly is probably the most limited in terms of choices for specs and ways to play then any other game I have ever played.

Sure you can play anything – but do you really find enjoyment doing half the dps of melee or think it’s fair for whatever group you are in to play that way?

Most would answer no.

I am a ranged player by nature in pretty much all other games I have played and it’s a shame ranged is so inferior in this game.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

(edited by Azreell.1568)

in Ranger

Posted by: unicorngirl.1487

unicorngirl.1487

People actually care about dungeons?

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

People actually care about whatever it is you find fun? That’s stupid. Your opinions are stupid.

in Ranger

Posted by: unicorngirl.1487

unicorngirl.1487

People actually care about whatever it is you find fun? That’s stupid. Your opinions are stupid.

Sorry to inform you, but far more people play WvW and PvP than dungeons. And ranger is fine in both of those.