State of the Ranger (After "major" patch)

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Okay, so let’s begin. Since we can’t get any attention nor response, we’ve already started to make some kind of desperative feedback for ANet, introducing a petition even. Clearly nobody in ANet plays Ranger class after Robert Hrouda left the company. As we could see in patch preview, devs presenting couldn’t even find a trait they’ve been talking for some time. That trait hasn’t changed position since release and yet they were searching for it in wrong spec trees even, looking for minor trait in Major traits for BM and NM.
We couldn’t get into any discussion with devs for like half of year now and I higly doubt they care, counting Ranger as powerful “petting zoo” condi/bunker specs every, single, Ranger, hates.
But please, make it happen! Don’t lie to us (“weapon changes”) and I beg you, ArenaNet, listen to community.
Discuss

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Posted by: cyborG.3026

cyborG.3026

State of the ranger?

Nonexistent in any place of the game – PvE, WvW, PvP

in Ranger

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

The state of the ranger is downed.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

They do play ranger they play power rangers.

in Ranger

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

I feel sorry for you guys… The guards in our forum have become spoiled, and really don’t know what being a POS class is. I salute you brave Rangers.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

in Ranger

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

i fired up my trap ranger and noticed the potency trait is now +50% duration, down from +100%.

quickly logged out and switched to my guardian.

i didn’t realize traps were OP and needed nerfed.
Anet really does hate rangers.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: Sanduskel.1850

Sanduskel.1850

Poor rangers are the butt of every joke in wvw. “Oh, you’re a RANGER!” Snicker snicker. “That’s too bad. Shoo we don’t want your kind here.” Even up levels laugh at rangers.

OP’d thief, lol

in Ranger

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

The State of the Ranger After Major Patch will be going into the Ranger sub-forums where it belongs, I suspect, where the bearbow masses will cry and bemoan their horrible fate together.

in Ranger

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

The State of the Ranger After Major Patch will be going into the Ranger sub-forums where it belongs, I suspect, where the bearbow masses will cry and bemoan their horrible fate together.

If it goes there itll be ignored.

in Ranger

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

It’ll be ignored here.

For whatever reason, the developers think Ranger is largely balanced. While I don’t agree that everything is fine, I also don’t believe the class is horribly broken beyond repair either.

It seems to me that the two largest problems I have with the class mechanics currently are merely microcosms to larger issues:

1) The Pet AI is still dumber than Harry Dunne after severe head trauma. Any pet that has an attacking F2 skill might as well be a coin flip that it actually hits. It doesn’t move out of AoE attacks, and it’s no guarantee will move position if its target is obstructed for ranged pets. The increased health has kinda sorta cured a symptom, but really hasn’t addressed the disease.

The issue here is that the AI in the game as a whole has a collective IQ somewhere below a toilet seat. I’m not sure there’s an easy solution to that, because when the AI was actually reasonably intelligent (during the beta events), players whined that it was too frustrating to fight against. Creating an entirely separate AI just for minions and pets I can only imagine would be rather… impractical.

2) The entire condition conundrum SEVERELY limits the number of effective builds a ranger can use, as nearly every weapon in the Ranger kitten nal utilizes condition damage to some degree. But that’s a problem that affects SEVERAL classes, and not just Ranger.

If there could be a resolution to those two issues, I think the rest would fall into place.

Many of the other complaints I’ve read I’ve generally found to be player-side problems; players that REALLY don’t want to accept that ranger in GW2 is a melee-primary class that utilizes ranged damage secondary. It seems they want something akin to WoW’s Hunter or FFXIV’s Archer.

Or the entire “sword #1 problem”, which I don’t think the players themselves can even agree is a problem at all.

Personally, I think the easiest solution that could be implemented immediately is to reduce the amount of damage that the pet contributes to the class, and transfer that to the Ranger him/herself. Instead of 40/60 more like 20/80; a percentage that you would still want to keep your pet alive (unlike in GW1 where the pet could mean so little to your damage that a lot of Rangers would eschew a revive skill)… but wouldn’t absolutely CRIPPLE you if a sequence of damage laid waste to both.

I also like the idea of bringing back Preparations as an alternative to the Pets, but I can see how that would be a balancing nightmare just within the class itself, much less in the game as a whole. It would be a much longer term solution that would take quite a bit of time to implement properly.

EDIT: Really? kitten nal is censored? Do you NOT have any soccer fans here, or is Manchester United ALSO censored?

in Ranger

Posted by: Caramel Ham.4891

Caramel Ham.4891

The only thing that needs changing is the last chain of the 1h sword that roots you in place. If devs think that their dmg is too much and need a handicap (rooting), then that’s false.

Other than that, stop pewpewpewing from afar and the perception of ranger will drastically change from “oh boy we got a rangenoob here” to “welcome my fellow player!”

in Ranger

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Remember that time in GW where you could build to make your pet do all of your damage, or you could do all of your damage while having a pet just be a nuisance , or you could just be an archer with no pet, or a million different builds that didn’t melee but had a staff or scepter or spear/shield or ….you get the picture.

in Ranger

Posted by: Marmag.5823

Marmag.5823

First of all, sorry for my english.
As a customer, I’m really disappointed by this last patch or maybe I was so stupid hoping too much.
I started thinking the developers are aware that this class has problems in its design but have no idea how to solve them.
My question is simple:
Scenario – WvWvW
Class: ranger
Type of build: Power-toughness-vitality (no condition, I want good sustained damage and defense)
Are ranger developer able to create a viable build? Could you plase show us what would an Anet ranger expert create?

I bought this game not to be “forced” to play certain class (bad old trinity) and because I believed you when you said every class will have same opportunities.
Show me I’m wrong thinking you didn’t manage to do it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

Yes, unfortunately the ranger seems largely ignored by the devs. While I wouldn’t say it’s a completely broken class, it does currently enjoy being the butt of every joke.

A few things they should really think about doing are optimizing the trait lines (traps should be in wilderness survival for example…) and pets could definitely use an overhaul.

One thing I have never quite figured out is why are so many of our traits split up to effect either the pet or the player? Meanwhile, every other class essentially is able to enjoy the full effect of their traits and abilities. I mean aren’t we supposed to be working with our pets?

Let’s take a look at Signet of Stone and the warriors Endure Pain:

Signet of Stone (Ranger)

• 80 second cool down
  • only affects the pet (unless you use a grandmaster trait)

Endure Pain (Warrior)

• 60 second cool down
  • Affects the class in it’s entirety (It does not stop adrenaline gain, it does not only affect adrenaline gain; it affects both player and class mechanic)

Doesn’t seem very balanced to me when they are such similar utilities… I could really only understand this difference if the ranger ONLY had the Beast Master trait line and nothing else.

There are several other wonky imbalances of similar utilities and traits between the two classes as well as the thief class (the two classes most similar to the ranger in my opinion).

There just needs to be more natural synergy between the player and the pet overall. The traits should mostly affect both the pet and the player at the same time; not just one or the other… Traits like Companions Defense and Fortifying bond are, in my opinion, the ideal way that devs need to be orienting ranger traits and abilities.

Then they need to rework traits so that pets aren’t just being used as condition dumps (“We offer the souls of these beasts in sacrifice to the six?” … seems more necros field of specialty to me… so why the ranger?)… Rangers should be working to keep their pets alive by removing conditions from not only themselves, but also from their pets (but for some reason nearly all of our condition removal is contrary to sustaining our pets and instead focuses on killing them faster).

PS The sword 1 debate in my opinion is a quality of life sort of thing. It does an amazing job keeping you right on the enemy (even if they are in stealth, since it locks you onto them lol). The one thing I would like to see changed with the sword 1 “root” (not really since you actually move lol) is to have evade abilities prioritized over the sword 1. It works perfectly fine if you turn off auto-attack, but it would be nice to see this happen.

(edited by Sollith.3502)

in Ranger

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I want to say something. I say almost nothing negative about this game; ive been playing since launch with only two breaks due to real life stuff, and I can take a lot of things.. Im not a spoiled/entitled gamer and I understand how things work with balancing and such… things take time. I get that. I have played every class to 80 except Necro which im currently working on. I have 2000 hours logged into this game. I love it to death.

With that said, the Ranger sucks. Ranger is probably… my 3rd fav class, maybe even 2nd, but ill be quick to inform you of its lack of interesting abilities. Everything about this class is wrong. The only thing it can do properly is bunker, which is extremely … strange, for a Ranger class, but even that isnt AMAZING. Bows… ok, bows. Longbow is ok, it should have more range, and both longbow and shortbow should have piercing arrows without having to trait for it. As of now, my Warrior an Engi can whoop a Ranger in a ranged battle contest. The GS is a wonderfully done weapon. It is weak, but its a defensive melee weapon and its actually done quite well. The 1H sword sucks beyond belief, but its so strong that you feel dumb not using it. The Root is absolutely awful. Ive actually learned to play with it but even with the amount of time ive put into timing my 2/3 to get out of the AA 1 (I turn off auto attack but sometimes it comes back on automatically and thats another issue) its still not 100% and dodging out of 1 is a task in itself. Ok, lets look past that. Traps/Conditions on a Ranger work… but almost every other class does it better. I like how traps work but they need to be more varied. Make the ice trap turn into a water field or something once its been activated. Anything, just more… variance. Wit that said… my biggest issue, and I thought it was going to be handled today.

The Axe. I love this weapon off hand for no reason really, the 4 is a monster but the 5 is lacking. Ive come to learn to use it just for reflecting but the attack should be atleast 2x stronger. The Axe main hand might be the biggest mess ever. Only other weapon as messed up is Mesmer Scepter, which is awesome that it got attention today but its main problem is the auto attack and that was untouched. The Ranger Axe needs to hit 50-150% harder, and it needs to be a power weapon. Axe as a condition weapon is just not worth it. Keep the chill on 3, make the 2 just cause cripple or vuln. Yes, the SB is a hybrid weapon, LB is a power weapon, but axe is like a bootleg terrible version of the Thief SB.
Fix this PLEASE. PLEASE FIX THIS. Also, as a community, we have given up on pets. I like how they received more health and I just ran some PVE and it seemed to help but I havent done much more than that. I still think Pets should be given a trinket or something to improve their stats and skills. It would be better if you made pets invulnerable and much weaker, and each pet has 2 or 3 skills we can use. Whatever, just… just dont tell us theres going to be multiple weapon fixes for the Ranger and all we get is a GS maul buff, the ONE thing we didnt need.

Thank you

in Ranger

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Yeah they took something that was already nerfed and nerfed it some more, traps. Traps are the ranger equiv of the Engineer Grenade kit now back when the explosive radius was about the size of a fart from a midget. LOL hehe sigh sniffles…..I need a tissue.

Pets omg pets. not only did turrets not get a drop of the 71% health in PVE but ranger pets did and it didn’t make a single bit of difference predictibly! Seriously Anet 90% AOE immunity. It’s the only way unless you’ll be giving pets the Champion Boss level of hitpoints and the resists the bosses have to CC and burst damage.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Ranger

Posted by: Shukaku.6287

Shukaku.6287

rangers and eles remind me a lot of necro back in the release day’s
free bump for ya, hope u get what u need and don’t have to wait a year like me.

in Ranger

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

The only thing that needs changing is the last chain of the 1h sword that roots you in place. If devs think that their dmg is too much and need a handicap (rooting), then that’s false.

Other than that, stop pewpewpewing from afar and the perception of ranger will drastically change from “oh boy we got a rangenoob here” to “welcome my fellow player!”

Sadly there are much better classes to be playing if you want to play melee, that do much better damage and have much better group support, rather than gimmicky ranger builds.

Want to play ranged class- there are warriors and thiefs that do much better damage than rangers and have better survival.

Rangers in wvw are a mess. For pve, they are fine, but for most pve you can complete it naked so that’s not really a comparison. In wvw the glaring flaws are fully exposed.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

in Ranger

Posted by: Caramel Ham.4891

Caramel Ham.4891

Sadly there are much better classes to be playing if you want to play melee, that do much better damage and have much better group support, rather than gimmicky ranger builds.

Want to play ranged class- there are warriors and thiefs that do much better damage than rangers and have better survival.

Rangers in wvw are a mess. For pve, they are fine, but for most pve you can complete it naked so that’s not really a comparison. In wvw the glaring flaws are fully exposed.

Sorry, I should have added “for pve” in my post. I have limited experience in pvp so I cant say nothing about it. Though since beta, I have always stood by my believe that Anet should completely divide pvp with pve. That way, they can balance for both. It is glaringly obvious that they haven’t got a clue on how to balance for both at the same time without separation. In fact, it is just not possible.

in Ranger

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

As a ranger for 2.400 hours, we’re doing quite fine. I do not play WvW, but for PvE purposes I have no problem with dungeons, fractals, Liadri or other “difficult” content. I do not feel kitten. As for PvP there are more than 1 viable build, which is more than I can say for other classes. I have no problem carrying myself into the 90th percentile, and I’m not that good.

Except from AI, bugs and small mechanic issues, we don’t have it that bad. In PvP i fear more for a longbow spirit ranger than any other class

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

in Ranger

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Wasn’t pet health buffed by 71% in PvE? That seems like a quite good buff.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in Ranger

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I do not play WvW, but for PvE purposes I have no problem with dungeons, fractals, Liadri or other “difficult” content.

For PvE purposes, if you have enough personal skill, you can make do with any class. It doesn’t mean those classes are even close to being balanced – try to play the same content with a guardian and a warrior, and you will immediately see the difference.

Wasn’t pet health buffed by 71% in PvE? That seems like a quite good buff.

We’re moving more and more towards oneshot mechanics and “dodge or die” approach. HP buff doesn’t help here any – pets just can’t dodge. Besides, the hp buff (while indeed nice) is nothing more than a duct tape fix applied to a broken structure. It helps, but it doesn’t address any real underlying problems at all.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

in Ranger

Rym.1469

If they implement “Ranger” name of the class instead of “Woodsman” “The Noob” “Beastmaster” “Joke®”, in class descreption they state that it’s an archer, utilizing range, give us range weapons I’m not really surprised most of the rangers want to play at range with a pet, not really mainly in melee.
If Rangers are not supposed to play with bows, the game is left almost completely melee/mid range oriented, since bows for Thueves and Warriors are being used as a secondary aid weapons, thus there’s no archer in the game and we’re left only with Warrior Rifle. Conclusion: Warrior performs the best in PvE, PvP, W3 and is only long-ranged class, hero period, lay down peasants.
If ANet really hates all kind of ranged options for Rangers, no problem. Name us different, remove LB and SB, shatter wet dreams and give us some staff and a mace maybe.

in Ranger

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

With LB, my ranger is probably my 3rd highest damage dealer. It is resilient enough. Its shortbow is the fastest ranged AA there is. Shockingly, it is my second choice for dungeons and 1st for world bosses.

And yet, it still feels like something is missing. The ability to permanently stow pet and/or actually have it survive longer with more control abilities would be brilliant.

in Ranger

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

As a ranger for 2.400 hours, we’re doing quite fine. I do not play WvW, but for PvE purposes I have no problem with dungeons, fractals, Liadri or other “difficult” content. I do not feel kitten. As for PvP there are more than 1 viable build, which is more than I can say for other classes. I have no problem carrying myself into the 90th percentile, and I’m not that good.

Except from AI, bugs and small mechanic issues, we don’t have it that bad. In PvP i fear more for a longbow spirit ranger than any other class

Can you eloborate on your experience with other classes? Anyone can clear this game’s content. I mained a ranger for approx. the same amount of hours as you did; I can clear any content I want as well. That is, however, not the issue.

The problem is the sheer disparity between the functionality and effectiveness of the ranger class – when comparing it against any other class in the game. It’s so off that we have to actually prove ourselves through skill that we can manage content other classes can do pressing their auto attack and dodging the occasional NPC attack. It’s really that bad. The class is rife with bugs, overneglected skill+utility synergy and a crippling pet AI. This results in what ultimately is any class killer: low damage and mimimal group utility.

This is why many guilds, particularly succesful WvW guilds, don’t accept rangers. It’s too much of a gamble to fill that valuable spot with someone who will often be the weakest link, regardless of the person’s skill.

I wish I could give more constructive feedback at this point, which is what the devs obviously need. But after providing so many of it in the past, and after so little improvement, most rangers have given up being constructive. After a year of trying, they have lost hope that their suggestions for core improvements will be heard. With this patch, I would say: Yes, more pet health in PvE is nice as well, but their damage was nerfed so hard recently that it feels like we got the consolation prize. In WvW, however, the pet health was not buffed, so the pet still remains a liability that will die when it is hit by any form of AOE. Because that’s really uncommon in WvW, right? AOE damage? I have no words for how baffling and alienating this patch is in this respect. Not buffing pet health in WvW feels like a slap in the face to any ranger that posted any constructive feedback over the last 6 months.

in Ranger

GuzziHero.2467

A wild engineer appears.. How kitten does your ranger feel now?

Engineers are intrinsically weak and broken too.

in Ranger

Rym.1469

@Guzzi – can only agree if you’re playing power with rifle. Otherwise, Engineer is fine like never, one of the funniest classes to play and skillfull, no doubt. Wish all classes had that many possibilities.

in Ranger

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

@Guzzi, I agree with what Rym said. I’m not foreign to the engineer. Even gave her the flameseeker prophecies recently. Her fused rifle will have to be stored for a while, I’m afraid. And no, engineer and ranger aren’t even in the same league – especially in the group utility department. Only leveled her up two months ago though, so I’m less knowledgable on the engineer class than on the ranger.

in Ranger

GuzziHero.2467

Oh I love engineer, its my fave character class by far. But turrets are useless, rifle and pistols are useless, cant use backpacks without clipping with kits, kit builds are the only useful setups.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I remember rangers being a top gank/high burst DPS class in Aion. Killed a ton in the Abyss (PvP).

Would be nice if Rangers were like that here in GW2. Right now when I think of a ranger, I think of an RP’er running around with a useless pet. Or a bot.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Ranger

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

Funny thread … especially given how solid the Ranger class is in all modes of game-play when skillfully played. Of course like each and every single class in this game, the Ranger could certainly use some tweaking and adjustments, but there is no “crisis” here lol.

Truth be told, the so-called pet “issue” is for the most part, no more than a learn to play issue.

With one, and ONLY one exception, there is absolutely nothing about the Ranger class that makes it a poor class compared to others. They are rock solid in sPvP, among the very best in over-world PvE, and hold their own quite well in WvW. And oddly, despite the “pets are useless” claims and the “our dps is terrible” claims, Rangers are among the best of 1v1 duelist and sPvP classes. Of course there are adjustments that need to be made, skills that need refinement and so forth — but this is true of every class in the game.

As to that one and ONLY exception, that’s obviously PvE dungeon grouping. But if/when Anet were to add a simple “dungeons ONLY pets take 50% less aoe damage” (or some other simple alternative like this) … then this too will become a non-issue.

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

in Ranger

GuzziHero.2467

I take my ranger to dungeons, I outlast my warrior by a mile, while doing good sword DPS. I dont think the ranger is a bad class at all. I’d choose it over my ele, mesmer, thief, guardian and even my engineer if effectiveness was needed. Only classes I feel that are better right now (for my particular play style) are necro and warrior.

The ranger is effective on its own, the pet is a (small) bonus.

in Ranger

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Is ranger viable from purely the following point of perspective: ‘it can complete all game content if you try hard enough’ Yes.

Is ranger viable enough, when you compare their effectiveness/allround capability/dps-tank potential with other professions? Nope. They are far behind. Ofc ranger mains with little to no other profession experience will tell you otherwise. But they are wrong. Having played 300+ hours on all professions: The ranger is in a dark and underpowered spot. And it’s not a learn to play issues. It’s more like a ‘lack the tools to be great, rather then adequate’-issue.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

in Ranger

GuzziHero.2467

I have played all classes, several far more than ranger, and I feel it is fine.

I’d personally say it is more effective solo and grouped than guardian, elementalist, mesmer and engineer, and in the right situations better than thief and maybe necro. Thats my opinion.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

i fired up my trap ranger and noticed the potency trait is now +50% duration, down from +100%.

Please tell me you’re joking or its just a tool tip error… The durations are already pretty low on traps.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Phoebe Ascension.8437

And it got moved by the mods, so Anet can ignore it again XD this topic started in general discussion. Typical.

in Ranger

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

One of the problems I’ve been encountering lately after I invested more heavily in damage on my Ranger… I’ve often killed my target before my pet even gets there. At the very least my target is near half damage, and then once it gets there it has to stop, set up and then start attacking, which probably takes another second off at least. Which means that a significant amount of my damage is only present for half the fight.

This is made worse if there’s an obstruction between me and my target, because the pet AI won’t allow it to jump off a small cliff, for example, it has to go around.

If Anet is going to force me to fight with a pet, they really need to address these problems.

in Ranger

Posted by: Linkisdead.9647

Linkisdead.9647

The state of ranger is pathetic.

I mained a ranger for 6 months, yet I still assume that the ranger in an enemy group is the worst/most ineffective player 90% of the time. Thats because only new/bad players still bother with it in wvw. Whenever I am roaming its the class I am least afraid of. They have nothing to scare me with anymore. You cant burst anything, you aren’t very supportive of team mates, you don’t provde substantial sustained DPS…quite frankly theyare the last thing we worry about in small man wvw.

They are fine in solo pve, you can kite forever. Not worth bringing in dungeons over other classes that can vastly out DPS and out support you. Pets are so unreliable in every facet, yet we rely so much on them.

Dont worry tho guys…they fixed a tool tip!!!

Sig
[sYn] Borlis Pass

in Ranger

Posted by: zabriel.4852

zabriel.4852

I am an engineer. I feel your pain to a certain extent. We are close on the charts of broken classes. Just wanted to ask. Were rangers at beta better than rangers now? I was talking with my Ranger friend and he says Rangers were so much better during the beta weekends. Just want to hear your taughts to that.

/salute to all you Rangers!

Zabriel Dusk

in Ranger

Ision.3207

One of the problems I’ve been encountering lately after I invested more heavily in damage on my Ranger… I’ve often killed my target before my pet even gets there. At the very least my target is near half damage, and then once it gets there it has to stop, set up and then start attacking, which probably takes another second off at least. Which means that a significant amount of my damage is only present for half the fight.

This is made worse if there’s an obstruction between me and my target, because the pet AI won’t allow it to jump off a small cliff, for example, it has to go around.

If Anet is going to force me to fight with a pet, they really need to address these problems.

ahahahahahaha …

Okay so, you say, "One of the problems I’ve been encountering lately after I invested more heavily in damage on my Ranger… I’ve often killed my target before my pet even gets there. "

Wow, what a nice problem to have! ROFL

Then you say, “If Anet is going to force me to fight with a pet, they really need to address these problems.” – ah, Okay, now I understand – you want the Ranger dps to be nerfed so your pet can contribute too. Gotcha.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I am an engineer. I feel your pain to a certain extent. We are close on the charts of broken classes. Just wanted to ask. Were rangers at beta better than rangers now? I was talking with my Ranger friend and he says Rangers were so much better during the beta weekends. Just want to hear your taughts to that.

Hmm lets see…

Greatsword was ~ 3x stronger, shortbow shot faster, we got quickness on pet swap for 5 in BM, and our pets did roughly twice the damage.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Ision.3207

Engineers are broken?

Really?

FACE-PALM

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I’m hoping this is a bug/tooltip error (not like those are rare when it comes to ranger -_-), if it’s not though, it’ll be the last straw cause it’ll mean they’ve literally nerfed EVERY viable build we have ever had…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

zabriel.4852

Engineers are broken?

Really?

FACE-PALM

Ehhh. They can offer more than they do now. I say this because it seems like grenades/bombs are the only viable build in pve. If your running a dungeon and your not using grenades or bombs, you end up getting kicked out the party.

Zabriel Dusk

in Ranger

Ision.3207

Engineers are broken?

Really?

FACE-PALM

Ehhh. They can offer more than they do now. I say this because it seems like grenades/bombs are the only viable build in pve. If your running a dungeon and your not using grenades or bombs, you end up getting kicked out the party.

Kicked out of the party?

Then I guess I’ve been lucky on my Engineer.

Personally I’ve never seen an Engineer kicked from a party (or have ever been kicked myself). Now mind you, there are some total scrubs that run dual-pistol zero kit builds or rifle zero kit builds (these are the Engineer version of BearBow Rangers) … but even these guys have managed to not get noticed in the dungeons runs I’ve been in.

But thanks for the warning.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Engineers are broken?

Really?

FACE-PALM

I use Turrets + Mortar in PvE and have NEVER been kicked from a party… so what in the world are you talking about?

I’ve also used Elixirgun + Flamethrower builds and HGH (the 5 elixirs + Dual pistols version) and haven’t been kicked so you clearly are just speaking out your kitten ….

Maybe if you’re trying to join some “Meta max DPS” group you’ll get kicked for not having nades, but that’s certainly not the community as a whole…

in Ranger

zabriel.4852

Enough about engis lol . Seriously, Why do you guys get ingored? Rangers is the class right now with the most problems. I figure its because any thing right now thats works with an AI sucks. Ex. Ele’s conjures, Ranger’s Pets, Engi Turrets. I think this game has a problem with AIs and since Ranger’s are soposed to rely on a bad AI(pet) they are going to have major issues.

Zabriel Dusk

in Ranger

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Speedclears might kick engineers, but those that do are stupid. I often got compliments in groups, that i ‘played really well for engineer’. Their way of saying engineer ain’t as kittenome speedclears suggest.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Enough about engis lol . Seriously, Why do you guys get ingored? Rangers is the class right now with the most problems. I figure its because any thing right now thats works with an AI sucks. Ex. Ele’s conjures, Ranger’s Pets, Engi Turrets. I think this game has a problem with AIs and since Ranger’s are soposed to rely on a bad AI(pet) they are going to have major issues.

Eles conjures don’t have AI… those are environmental weapons… If you’re talking about Glyph of Elemental summoning (i hope you are) then you’d be wrong because it’s actually considered the best elite, or at least on par with GS, the elementals spam their big AoE supporty ability, and some of them cough cough EARTH * cough cough* don’t understand the meaning of “death” and keep chugging along…

And Engi’s Turrets are actually fine now, because their AI is now just a “We shoot whoever you’re targeting!” sort of thing instead of them trying to figure out what to do by themselves.

If they fixed rangers AI, or you know, made the pet not out 100% of the time so we didn’t have to be balanced around this mythical 100% pet uptime, or their shady AI, then we’d be in good shape.

in Ranger

Ision.3207

Nope, only some folks claim the Rangers are broken – primarily those that want Anet to totally redesign the class into a pet-less massive damage Ranged dps-er … or those that want their pet buffed to the point they can play a combination of easy-mode and god-mode. So I’ll say it again:

Funny thread … especially given how solid the Ranger class is in all modes of game-play when skillfully played. Of course like each and every single class in this game, the Ranger could certainly use some tweaking and adjustments, but there is no “crisis” here lol.

Truth be told, the so-called pet “issue” is for the most part, no more than a learn to play issue.

With one, and ONLY one exception, there is absolutely nothing about the Ranger class that makes it a poor class compared to others. They are rock solid in sPvP, among the very best in over-world PvE, and hold their own quite well in WvW. And oddly, despite the “pets are useless” claims and the “our dps is terrible” claims, Rangers are among the best of 1v1 duelist and sPvP classes. Of course there are adjustments that need to be made, skills that need refinement and so forth — but this is true of every class in the game.

As to that one and ONLY exception, that’s obviously PvE dungeon grouping. But if/when Anet were to add a simple “dungeons ONLY pets take 50% less aoe damage” (or some other simple alternative like this) … then this too will become a non-issue.