Stop treating forum users like children

in Ranger

Posted by: Turtles All The Way Down.5608

Turtles All The Way Down.5608

The lack of communication between the development team and the community is a downright embarassment. There’s a clear disconnect between the Developers and the forum moderation team, which makes the gulf between the player and the designer that much wider. We get punished for voicing our opinions, making jokes, being honest about the state of rangers as a class and then lied to about animation bugs as though we won’t know any better. And if that animation bug is real? Prove it. We’re adults, we can make sense of complex information.

These forums are supposed to be for class feedback, yet the act of giving feedback will often get you moderated, because the intentionally vague TOS and forum guidelines leave too much room for interpretation. There’s evidently no oversight of the moderation team since they won’t tell you what rules you’ve broken or how long you get banned, simply saying it’s due to some internal “accumulation of points” which could honestly mean anything. How do you appeal a ban you don’t know how you’ve obtained? It’s apparently easy to get banned for some honestly trivial bullkitten, and when people come back they’re just going to be more bitter. It should come as no surprise they will become repeat offenders. If I don’t care about arbitrary forum moderation in the first place, temporarily banning me without telling me why isn’t going to change that.

I think they’re acting as though the player will always be there for them to abuse but I don’t have to play this game. I don’t have to care about whether or not Rangers can perform well in PVP. I want to have fun with this game and I want rangers to do well, but if you honestly want me to just accept this completely non-transparent (and inconsistent) forum moderation, well…

in Ranger

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Stereotyping is bad. “We’re adults.” Well, maybe you are, but please don’t apply that generalization to everyone else on the forums.

Judging by some of the personal attacks leveled at JP after the patch, safe to say that maybe we’re not all adults.

in Ranger

Yes, stereotyping is bad, which is why they should not assume that we are all children and then treat us as such.

If we are treated with any amount of respect in the first place, they then have a justification to moderate those who are disrespectful towards them. As it is, this is not the case. They do not respect us, and that is not our fault.

in Ranger

Posted by: bluesnacks.2301

bluesnacks.2301

So they don’t.

What now? Not like they’re going to do anything about it. They have our money. You’re just stating the obvious.

Also, Ursan, being mad does not make you a child. Some are harsh but doesn’t mean you’re necessarily immature.

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue.

in Ranger

Well what now, is that if this continues we give them the finger and then “take our phonecall” so to speak by playing a different game.

I really believe the matrix clip is apt considering what comes next is the scene where the agents take his mouth, much like how players get banned (and can’t speak) when they disagree with forum moderation.

in Ranger

Ursan.7846

Also, Ursan, being mad does not make you a child. Some are harsh but doesn’t mean you’re necessarily immature.

I don’t believe I said “being mad means you’re immature.” But I’d say making threats to someone’s life on an internet forum over a game counts as being at least a little bit “immature”

in Ranger

Posted by: Demon.7832

Demon.7832

Yeah I have to agree the community as a whole hasn’t handled this situation very well either. I understand everyone wants some communication with the developers on what is going on and what we can expect/if they are actually listening to us but the way a lot of people have reacted on here is just ridiculous. Part of the reason the devs might not be saying anything is because they realized they didnt have the time and man power to make enough updates and disapoined a lot of people and it turned into a huge mess with a ton of raging ranger players. I’m sure they wanted to give us all the balance updates we wanted by the 15th but the fact is it didn’t happen and we need to get over it. That being said I would love some communication with the Devs or someone as we are completely being left in the dark now and I don’t exactly think they are going about things the right way either.

in Ranger

Posted by: aPutridCorpse.8792

aPutridCorpse.8792

When people spend as much time as some of them do on their characters, just to find out that they are on the very bottom end of the food chain…I can see how that is frustrating.

When people are given broken promises, I can see how that compounds the problem.

As I keep saying…there’s a thread with almost 100k views and somewhere around 800 replies….many posts with great ideas for balancing the Ranger, or at least making them more viable…if this forum is supposed to be about class feedback…it’s completely USELESS.

Countless times the negative feedback regarding longbow has been discussed….yet the devs are happy with Ranger longbow damage….they also tell us that shortbow was no fun in it’s current state so they nerf it…shortbow was one of the very few viable builds and many people were using it….how a popular weapon gets pegged as “no fun” is far, far beyond my imagination.
And then this happens….warrior get a longbow buff? In the same patch that Rangers were promised a significant quality of life improvement? To which the majority of the Rangers do not feel an improvement at all? Hello trap nerf! I believe the patch prior to this, Rangers weren’t even on it!!!

If that is not a repeated & direct kick to the family jewels, I don’t know what is!

Perhaps the community would show a little more respect if they were given a little more respect.

I’m seriously baffled why there is not one person for each profession working on bug fixes/balancing. Instead, apparantly there is only two people for all of them?….good grief. It makes my head hurt.

Level 80 Asura Ranger
Level 30 Human Guardian

in Ranger

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

I don’t need Anet to constantly assure me they are working on improving their game. I know it’s in their own best interests. I know that’s what they are doing rather than getting involved in petty discussions that have been hashed out a thousand times already.

My main is a Ranger (80, exotics, tier 3 cultural etc) but is it my only toon? Hell no. I’m working on getting an 80 of every class. I want my money’s worth. So to me the fact that the Ranger is a bit behind the other classes is far less of an issue. I’ll be patient and wait for fixes whilst continuing to enjoy my Ranger as I always have. If I ever feel like seeing some bigger numbers then I’ll play one of my other classes. Simple as.

Will I throw all the toys out the pram and cry to Anet because I havent had the changes to one class I wanted right now? Nope.. that would be childish.

FYI Linking a video to give Anet the finger is also childish.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

in Ranger

Posted by: Akisame.9508

Akisame.9508

I think after this last patch, the ranger forum has gone unmoderated (is that even a word?). I know I left one upset post at JP which still has not been deleted which is weird. I think they have given up on us ranger’s completely.

in Ranger

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

I think after this last patch, the ranger forum has gone unmoderated (is that even a word?). I know I left one upset post at JP which still has not been deleted which is weird. I think they have given up on us ranger’s completely.

Oh no, they’ve been moderated quite heavily, actually. Part of the TOS, however, is that we can’t talk about being banned, suspended or infracted.

Yesterday, I was suspended due to “an accumulation of points” and was promised a reason in a private message. I had one infraction in the past month, one where my reply stating that the “Hitler Reacts to the Nov. 15th Patch Notes” video was the best Hitler Reacts video of all time was deleted, along with many others, for lack of content. I submitted an appeal, citing that I had only 1 infraction and did not receive a PM concerning the nature of my suspension.

I did not hear back from the forum department, but I’m posting now. Either the suspension was not for very long or was quietly lifted.

I full-heartedly believe in Turtle’s post. These forums are heavily policed above and beyond what other MMO companies do for their forums. One can’t even say mild curses without it being censored into kittens.

I have little doubt in my mind that this post will be moderated and deleted, despite the fact that it is not flaming nor lacking content related to the original topic. I’m disappointed that I cannot disagree without punishment and it severely hinders my enjoyment of Guild Wars 2 as a whole.

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

in Ranger

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

I’m seriously baffled why there is not one person for each profession working on bug fixes/balancing. Instead, apparantly there is only two people for all of them?….good grief. It makes my head hurt.

And I highly doubt they’ve ever played the ranger, because they would realize how, bad they really are compared to the other classes.

in Ranger

Posted by: Glektor.2934

Glektor.2934

Well, I definitely think the moderators on these boards are about as anal and ridiculous as it gets. You basically get infracted for no real reason on here.

That said, the fact that threads like this one pop up every single day, probably aren’t leading the team to think of the forum-goers as mature adults. I’m not directing that at the OP, personally, I just mean complaint threads/posts about the devs/communication/etc.

Other than the mods being horribly overzealous, this forum and the dev communication is about the same as every other game.

in Ranger

Ursan.7846

Countless times the negative feedback regarding longbow has been discussed….yet the devs are happy with Ranger longbow damage….

Are you implying that, because the community is overwhelming in favor of something, the devs should try to implement that? Because that thought is wrong wrong wrong.

As Ranger players, we want nothing but improvements to Rangers. We’re selfish. Hence we raise our voices to demand change, to demand buffs. But we see this only from a ranger perspective and not from the perspective of overall balance.

shortbow was one of the very few viable builds and many people were using it….how a popular weapon gets pegged as “no fun” is far, far beyond my imagination.

Pre-shortbow 1 nerf, tell me of any other weapon that could do 20k+ damage (with bleeds included) within the span of 5 seconds, by just auto-attacking? A skill that has no cd and can be spammed endlessly? I didn’t like the changes. My main weapon is a shortbow. But I can see why they did it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/The-teams-that-work-on-PvP-WvW-Balance/first#post818468

Do all unspeculative, unproven rumors make your head hurt?

in Ranger

Posted by: RummyTheMad.7290

RummyTheMad.7290

The simple solution to not being treated like a child is, not surprisingly, to not act like a child. People throw tantrums, casually toss out threats, and whine like we’re discussing something far more important than a game in these forums. Then they tend to follow it up with a second angry thread wondering why the mods have cracked down on them.

/facepalm

I also realize that some of the moderation happens with far more innocuous comments, but those tend to be off-topic infractions. Oh well. You live, you learn.

These forums are heavily moderated. There is no doubt about that, but that fact also seems to be common knowledge, so why not just post within the framework of the pre-established rules? Fighting the waves is always a losing battle, so just post your points in a respectful and non-sensational manner and you will find that your posts stand as typed.

If you want to editorialize ad nauseum, start a blog. For better or worse, these forums belong to ANet/NCSoft…

in Ranger

Posted by: Kam.8109

Kam.8109

I agree with OP 100%

Negative feedback is still feedback. If someone makes a joke like: If you didn’t have time to implement meaningful ranger changes, how did you have time to buff aquatic weapons no one cares about?

^That will almost certainly get deleted. But it is constructive feedback. The community is letting you know we don’t care about aquatic weapons, we would like to see different changes.

in Ranger

Posted by: Moderator.9672

Moderator.9672

Hi everybody,

You can express all kind of opinions on the forums and share ideas, as long as it is not against our forum Code of Conduct.

If your post or thread is not following these rules you can indeed receive an infraction and your post can be deleted.

If you think any action taken by a moderator was inappropriate, please email directly forums@arena.net.

For further information about our forum Code of Conduct, you can read it here.

Thanks for your understanding and contribution.

The topic is now locked.