Suggestion: Existing creatures as ranger pets

in Ranger

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

This might have been brought up before and I know the chances are slim of this actually achieving anything but I wanted to try anyway.

There are many creatures in Guild Wars 2 that I think would be suitable to serve as a Ranger’s animal companion. I think these creatures have the added bonus that their modelling and animations are already done which should make them easier to add as animal companions. Now, I know that it’s not as easy as simple flipping a switch to make this possible. There would still have to be quite a bit of programming and especially quite a bit of balancing but still.. Below are the creature families I was thinking of. What do you think? Good idea or not? Am I missing any creatures you think would be excellent as Ranger pets?

Terrestial

Bat
Cave Bat
Cliff Bat
Frost Bat
Fruit Bat
Vampire Bat

Griffon
Eagle Griffon
Hawkeye Griffon
Owl Griffon

Raptor (might be amphibious)
Black Raptor
Crested Raptor
Eagle Raptor
Jungle Raptor
Vulture Raptor

Skale (might be amphibious)
Bog Skale
Brackish Skale
Ridgeback Skale
Skale Blighter

Skelk (might be amphibious)
Alpine Skelk
Jungle Skelk
Putrid Skelk
Reef Skelk
Shadow Skelk
Skelk Lurker

Amphibious

Crab
Arctic Crab
Coconut Crab
Freshwater Crab
Hermit Crab
Ornery Crab

Aquatic

Fish
Barracuda
Electric Fish
Gulper Fish
Spiketail Fish (might be better in the Armor Fish category)
Triop

in Ranger

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

As crabs were my favourite GW1 pets, I support this message.
Please give me back my Mr. Pinchy!

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Ranger

Posted by: Shorok.9706

Shorok.9706

I agree, there are a lot of cool animals out there rangers should be able to tame. Maybe create a stable ability, or a limited amount of pets you can have on the side line. I’m sure this would cause confusion and complaints if you couldn’t catch them all and use them all. But given the choice of more creative number of pets. I think it would be nice.

in Ranger

Diovid.9506

I agree, there are a lot of cool animals out there rangers should be able to tame. Maybe create a stable ability, or a limited amount of pets you can have on the side line. I’m sure this would cause confusion and complaints if you couldn’t catch them all and use them all. But given the choice of more creative number of pets. I think it would be nice.

I’m not sure I understand what you are suggesting.

in Ranger

Diovid.9506

Speaking of which, I half expected this update to include Arid Devourers to tame, like the South Sun update had Reef Drakes.

in Ranger

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

LLAMALLAMALLAMA

in Ranger

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

ANet needs to get around balancing existing pets before adding new ones.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Ranger

Posted by: lorddavito.2395

lorddavito.2395

cough llama cough

With ofcourse the ‘spit’ special ability.
-Blindness
-Weakness
-Fear (it’s very scary)
-Bleeding
-Poison
-Knockback (it’s super stronk, much wow)
-15seconds of evasion

-Sâmbuca

in Ranger

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

I think its more than obvious by now that Arenanet doesnt care even a tiny bit for ranger pets, so i wouldnt get my hopes up

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

in Ranger

Diovid.9506

LLAMALLAMALLAMA

Haha, would be great but not going to happen unfortunately.

I think its more than obvious by now that Arenanet doesnt care even a tiny bit for ranger pets, so i wouldnt get my hopes up

Luckily I’m not that negative about Anet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shorok.9706

Shorok.9706

Since I never learned how to cut and paste peoples comments, Diovid. What I mean to say is. You have 50 animals to choose from, but you can only carry 30, got to pick and choose.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Almost want to say a Healing Signet Asuran Mace/shield/hammer warrior.

I disagree with barracuda as they would just end up the hyena of the sea with lower stats based on the worst A.I. in the game.

Out of stuff we could have I would like the eagle and hawk to be different pets not just a reskin.

Addition pets within the current families would be nice
Fern (insert family here) could be interesting additions especially with the focus on Maguuma.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Ranger

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I support this and have wanted this for a very long time.
Griffon, Basilisk, Skale and especially the Skelk I’ve wanted as pets for longer than I can remember. What I wouldn’t do to have a Skelk Lurker that could teleport to my enemy and steal a utility, omg…

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Susanoo.2586

Susanoo.2586

What annoys me the most is that this is a legitimate suggestion to get some cool new pets (Griffons would be freakin amazing) but there always has to be an obvious troll saying they want something stupid… like Llama with everything. Its of course a stupid joke but it takes all merit away from the thread… Please if you dont have anything constructive to say, Dont say anything.

in Ranger

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

I just want adult pets, and the ability to equip them with pet armour.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Want Karka pet pl0x.

in Ranger

Posted by: hooligan.4578

hooligan.4578

I’ve wanted a griffon or raptor pet since I first started my ranger. I was so surprised when I found out you couldn’t get one.

There are a couple in-game animals I’d add to the list, though:

Cervoids
Moose (as someone that lives in New England… you don’t mess with these)
Stag
Dolyak

Birds
Crane (I discovered a couple of these in a river in Kessex Hills being used as scenery, and immediately wanted one as a pet)

Canines
Coyote

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

I would love to have a griffon with their knockback and evade. It would be nice to finally have a pet that can dodge attacks. Other than that I would like a hylek or skritt.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in Ranger

Posted by: Kaizok.7839

Kaizok.7839

In the existing creatures… I add 3 or 4 of pretty cool pet at your lists :

• Minotaur ( with the same size than mobs )
  • Wind Rider (no matter they are be ugly ^^)
  • Insect like Bee or Dragonfly

in Ranger

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

Has there been any ‘progress’ on this particular issue concerning pets? Or any dev posts about it?

in Ranger

Posted by: Vyriis.6258

Vyriis.6258

Bog Skale
Brackish Skale
Ridgeback Skale
Skale Blighter

Though I agree the rest would be nice to have, especially the Griffons, Skale will not happen, unless Anet completely ignores their lore from GW1 or pushes for their regression back into their primal state. Skale were actually “some what” intelligent and even had worshipers and followers. Even having a Lord and a “God” figure among themselves of whom they followed and worshiped.

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Bog Skale
Brackish Skale
Ridgeback Skale
Skale Blighter

Though I agree the rest would be nice to have, especially the Griffons, Skale will not happen, unless Anet completely ignores their lore from GW1 or pushes for their regression back into their primal state. Skale were actually “some what” intelligent and even had worshipers and followers. Even having a Lord and a “God” figure among themselves of whom they followed and worshiped.

Erm smokescale.

Although I completely agree. I don’t like seeing semi sentient creatures forever being removed from future participation against the elder dragons. It is their world too.

Skale, griffons, wind ridders are a big nono to me.
Oh and I really didn’t care to see drake pets either but whatever. Pretty much any species that has spell casters ;-(

(edited by Justine.6351)

in Ranger

Vyriis.6258

Erm smokescale.

Although I completely agree. I don’t like seeing semi sentient creatures forever being removed from future participation against the elder dragons. It is their world too.

Skale, griffons, wind ridders are a big nono to me.
Oh and I really didn’t care to see drake pets either but whatever. Pretty much any species that has spell casters ;-(

I don’t consider Smokescale as part of the Skale family as they are saurian, which also existed during GW1, and were not sentient. Also its name uses “scale” referring to the body armor not its species.

Griffons I would be against if they weren’t already set up as a pet via the Ogres. With that said all I can see them as is a Feline re-skin. As both birds and felines have the same stats, save Condition Damage, they couldn’t really just mix the two to make them different that way. Suppose skill wise there are slight difference that can be played with, but not enough to really justify it.

Wind Rider I think would actually make a good pet as the land equivalent of Jellyfish. Can go many different ways with them. Could give us more condition, control, or even healing options. Similar to Drakes, which I am alright with, just with less defense and more offense.

Speaking of Drakes and their “Spell casting” nature. There are chemicals, that are naturally occurring, that can produce fire when combined (thus the reason for Salamander Drakes fire breath). Or they could produce one chemical and create a spark to ignite it, which creating electricity within a living organism is possible (see electric eel), thus producing fire. This could also explain River Drakes “Lightning Orb”, a conductive, non-flammable, gas electrified and expelled. And Reef Drakes is explained via it being a “shriek”.

Technically the only Drake that can’t be explained through natural evolution is Frost Drake (edit: could technically say it can produce liquid Nitrogen within itself, but highly doubt this to be the cause[and yes this is possible]). In which case I would point out this is Tyria and magic is naturally occurring in both sentient and non-sentient beings. And also Rangers are a “Nature Magic” class. Thus being partial spell casters. Thus having magical pets should be accepted. =P

Sorry for long rant.

(edited by Vyriis.6258)

in Ranger

Justine.6351

Tl,Dr

Wasn’t even attacking you.

in Ranger

Vyriis.6258

Tl,Dr

Wasn’t saying you were. Just pointing a few things out is all.

in Ranger

Justine.6351

Tl,Dr

Wasn’t saying you were. Just pointing a few things out is all.

Ya that liquid nitrogen, compelling stuff.

in Ranger

Posted by: Allison The Strange.4519

Allison The Strange.4519

I just current pets to be decent before adding more clunky, non optimized, pets that I care nothing about because the would be useless and good for nothing but looking pretty next to me in LA.