[Suggestion] Option: auto-swap pet if dead

in Ranger

Posted by: tlenex.7901

tlenex.7901

I’d like to suggest an auto-swap pet option for rangers due to their instant-die weakness.

Imagine optional “Auto On/Off” switch above the F4 swap button.
Wouldn’t it make our life easier in long combat?

(edited by tlenex.7901)

in Ranger

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

I’m not sure how this will help. Unless you’re saying it completely bypass the pet swap cooldown?

in Ranger

Posted by: Pope.1469

Pope.1469

Don’t want it, sometimes it’s faster just to let it regen after you leave combat.

in Ranger

tlenex.7901

I’m not sure how this will help. Unless you’re saying it completely bypass the pet swap cooldown?

No, I didn’t meant to bypass cooldown. I thought about some small switch (on/off) above the skillbar.

Don’t want it, sometimes it’s faster just to let it regen after you leave combat.

I meant to use it if you ARE in combat and forgot about the swap option.

(edited by tlenex.7901)

in Ranger

Posted by: Tadayoshi.2815

Tadayoshi.2815

No I’m against this. This just encourage the people who nearly ignore the pet even more, instead of give them a reason to use it actively

in Ranger

tlenex.7901

I just try to make them as useful as possible, if they die so quickly why not to auto-swap them if the cooldown in ready?

(edited by tlenex.7901)

in Ranger

Tadayoshi.2815

I just try to make them as useful as possible, if they die so quickly why not to auto-swap them if the cooldown in ready?

That’s just the wrong point to work on. Instead of work aroung certain things, they need to work on the actual problem.

in Ranger

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

That’s just the wrong point to work on. Instead of work aroung certain things, they need to work on the actual problem.

Yes, but it would only help. Why would you be against this? Often times I find myself in combat not even realizing my pet is dead. This would just be a quality of life improvement, in my opinion.

in Ranger

tlenex.7901

I totally agree with you, but as John has written:

I made some changes to improve pets hitting moving targets in this upcoming build. I wouldn’t expect those changes to light the world on fire, but they have improved. There is more to be done in this area still but feedback on how much this upcoming change helped, once it is in, would be great.

You can realize that ANet will make small steps with balancing ranger(or any other class) and their pets – this takes time, a lot of time. Meanwhile I’ve came up with an idea to increase pets combat-uptime with very small cost and avoiding balance issues at the same time.

in Ranger

Tadayoshi.2815

I made some changes to improve pets hitting moving targets in this upcoming build. I wouldn’t expect those changes to light the world on fire, but they have improved. There is more to be done in this area still but feedback on how much this upcoming change helped, once it is in, would be great.

You can realize that ANet will make small steps with balancing ranger(or any other class) and their pets – this takes time, a lot of time. Meanwhile I’ve came up with an idea to increase pets combat-uptime with very small cost and avoiding balance issues at the same time.

I know. But a good Ranger always knows how the pet is doing. And I actually would like to controll the flow of my pets myself. It is just one button to press. It’s great to work on solutions but this one is just one button press so in my eyes not really necessary.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rocklin.4106

Rocklin.4106

I meant to use it if you ARE in combat and → forgot <- about the swap option.

right THERE is your problem, nowhere else.

not trying to be mean or anything, but get used to these skills, id prefer to control my pet and calling it back myself anytime over any ai.

in Ranger

Posted by: ragas.1843

ragas.1843

no please NO don’t do anything on pet swap.
forget about pet trait 5?imagine you pet die and you are running back to a safe place with nothing to hit 0o
what’s the point?

Micro[VcY]call center manager

in Ranger

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

I think a lot are forgetting this feature would be OPTIONAL.

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

If being able to set this to optional, I see no reason why it couldn’t be implemented. I would probably never use it myself though.

By the same idea, could also add a function, optional as well ofc, to autoswap pets on cooldown.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Rocklin.4106

just like paying attention in a fight and looking deeper into a class and its possibilites is also optional to many players, which i simply dont think should be optional, or that one who doesnt want to do it, should still be able to play his class almost as efficiently.

it sounds to me like you want an option for something you just forget about, or dont want to care about, instead of trying to improve on yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

This isn’t needed perse, but I don’t see the harm in allowing you to put the swap pet on auto-cast or something. It would probably only be useful for those who keep the pet on aggressive though as an auto-swapping pet for someone who’s oblivious to the animation and sound that plays when the pet dies is probably going to be oblivious to their newly cycled pet sitting next to them waiting for an action.

in Ranger

tlenex.7901

I meant to use it if you ARE in combat and -> forgot <- about the swap option.

right THERE is your problem, nowhere else.

not trying to be mean or anything, but get used to these skills, id prefer to control my pet and calling it back myself anytime over any ai.

Not only my problem, I’m sure of it. Ranger is and will be my main char, I know how to control my pet, but aren’t you annoyed with current constant pet swapping in combat? You really never have forgotten to swap it when needed? I don’t think so – thats the lack of Ranger dps – human memory and awareness – we can improve it to make everyone fight at the same level. Let the players skill be counted as spvp map tactics knowledge, and skill/eq/trait/pet choosing, not the “whos going to push button faster, wins”.

no please NO don’t do anything on pet swap.
forget about pet trait 5?imagine you pet die and you are running back to a safe place with nothing to hit 0o
what’s the point?

Sorry, but I can’t understand you. Beastmastery “V” triat: Pet skills (F2) recharge faster. This has nothing to do with pet swap (F4).

Thats exactly it! Imagine small “Auto On/Off” swich right above the F4 swap button.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sleepy.2647

Sleepy.2647

Useless, the least thing you need on a game is more “automatized” stuff which plays for you.

Forgetting about switching your pet is no different than forgetting to dodge by yourself an attack.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Don’t want it. I like the challenge of having to keep my pet alive.

in Ranger

tlenex.7901

Useless, the least thing you need on a game is more “automatized” stuff which plays for you.

Forgetting about switching your pet is no different than forgetting to dodge by yourself an attack.

Then remove skill auto-attack feature, its no different than auto-swaping pet. Geez we are humans not bots, game is meant to be fun, not pain in the kitten

Thats the point of making this an optional feature.

(edited by tlenex.7901)

in Ranger

Sleepy.2647

The autoattack is completely different since this is a game where you would have to break your keyboard 1 quite fast if you had to spam it.

It’s pointless to add an “auto” something that you can do every 15-20 /48-60 seconds, other than to help bots even more.

(edited by Sleepy.2647)

in Ranger

tlenex.7901

[sarcasm]I know some ppl spaming “1” button anyway, so lets make life harder for bots! [/sarcasm]

Thats not the point of this feature, the point is to maximize ranger’s pets dps. As you know: dead dps = zero dps. Auto-swap may solve this partially.

in Ranger

Sleepy.2647

To begin with, if you want to maximize ranger’s pet DPS you have to learn to swap your pet BEFORE it dies, so it defeats completely the point of having a pet swap when pet dies.

If i understood it correctly, you want an auto pet swap only when pet dies, which means a swap every 48-60 seconds? That’s being the most lazy person on GW2
Auto-swap solves nothing but your lazyness, it won’t make your pet be alive more often, it won’t make the pet do more DPS…it will just allow you to forget about the pet not caring if it dies or not.

(edited by Sleepy.2647)

in Ranger

tlenex.7901

Auto-swap solves nothing but your lazyness, it won’t make your pet be alive more often, it won’t make the pet do more DPS…it will just allow you to forget about the pet not caring if it dies or not.

I’m not lazy, I’d say a little incautious after several hours of gaming, but I think some players may like this idea too. The truth is that even if you can’t swap the pet(it died & cooldown isn’t ready) ppl mainly forgot to swap it after that 48-60sec in advanced combat. Mesmer’s illusions appear automatically for example.

Moreover:

(edited by tlenex.7901)

in Ranger

Rocklin.4106

To begin with, if you want to maximize ranger’s pet DPS you have to learn to swap your pet BEFORE it dies, so it defeats completely the point of having a pet swap when pet dies.

this.

also sometimes you might NOT instantly want to swap even when it died, you probably want to wait 2-3 more sec to get a better use out of the quickness you get from the 5 point trait. as already mentioned by some people, its no improvement at all, its just for your lazyness.

in Ranger

Posted by: caKez.3219

caKez.3219

As long as its an option I’m fine with it.

in Ranger

tlenex.7901

this.

also sometimes you might NOT instantly want to swap even when it died, you probably want to wait 2-3 more sec to get a better use out of the quickness you get from the 5 point trait. as already mentioned by some people, its no improvement at all, its just for your lazyness.

I suggest using birds if your gameplay tactic is based on quickness. They evade attacks and give 30sec speed boon. I tell it again once more: IT WOULD BE OPTIONAL.

(edited by tlenex.7901)

in Ranger

Posted by: Paken Kai.5970

Paken Kai.5970

Even if this were optional, it would be a waste of the developers’ time.

If they made this optional, then hey, why not make the F2 attack autocast? And, while they’re at it, add autocast to burst attacks on warriors or shatters on mesmers?

The point of the F1-4 skills in any class are that they are class-specific mechanics that you either learn to utilize properly, or you play the class at less than full potential.

The reason many people find the ranger the most boring class is that they don’t like having to look after their pet, while people who enjoy playing the class, and play it well, know when to swap their pet, when to have it attack and when to have it stay out of combat.

If you don’t like using these mechanics, then don’t, but also don’t ask somebody who has much better things to work on (pet AI, across all professions [turrets and clones can be even more stupid than pets, and let’s not get started on minions]) take time to build a feature that dumbs-down a class mechanic that doesn’t require it.

Paken Kai – Ranger
Raven’s Talon [RT]
Henge of Denravi

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Thats the point of making this an optional feature.

That makes about as much sense as changing heart strike to deal twice what it normally does, but only as an “optional feature”.

in Ranger

Posted by: Batlav.6318

Batlav.6318

because we have 2-3 bars all full with 12 different things on them to click…
i agree dead pet no dps so swap it earlier istead to wait for it to be killed and then wait for auto swap to do the job…

i dont see any point of this except that it will save players one click every 60 seconds

SFR

in Ranger

tlenex.7901

Even if this were optional, it would be a waste of the developers’ time.

If they made this optional, then hey, why not make the F2 attack autocast? And, while they’re at it, add autocast to burst attacks on warriors or shatters on mesmers?

The point of the F1-4 skills in any class are that they are class-specific mechanics that you either learn to utilize properly, or you play the class at less than full potential.

The reason many people find the ranger the most boring class is that they don’t like having to look after their pet, while people who enjoy playing the class, and play it well, know when to swap their pet, when to have it attack and when to have it stay out of combat.

If you don’t like using these mechanics, then don’t, but also don’t ask somebody who has much better things to work on (pet AI, across all professions [turrets and clones can be even more stupid than pets, and let’s not get started on minions]) take time to build a feature that dumbs-down a class mechanic that doesn’t require it.

I do use pets swap them before they die, sometimes after they die in 1-2 hit, use their skills and change them to fit current situation and I’m a programmer. Making of this switch shouldn’t have take more than 3-5 hours, while most of the time will take creating an UI button.

It doesn’t hurt: it doesn’t make Ranger OP, it doesn’t interfere with GW2 balance. It just helps getting our pets back to life ASAP. It’s just one of ideas I’d like to see in the game, if don’t like it fine I won’t blame you.

But if you want to talk about ranger balance and it’s pet improvements, instead create your own topic. I’m not the one to explain that ability of your pet being alive is much more important than making it auto-use it’s skill – pet is half of your dps and assistance of your weak armor. You may be pro gamer and even making 100% dps with pet only, but not everyone is like that. GW2 is the only MMO where new players can play and use their class at full potential from the very beginning, whats why I came up with auto-swap idea to be even more user-friendly.

Mesmer creates it’s illusions automatically by auto-attack, necro can put auto-use on utility skill, why don’t make this improvement to our beloved rangers?

in Ranger

Sleepy.2647

The problem is that by giving such thing, you will make new rangers worse by default, instead of making rangers better it promotes being lazy and careless about your pet…and not taking advantage of quickness from pet swaps when you need it the most (if you have 5 points in BM). You are not making any favour to new players by giving them that.

So yeah, it has way more cons than pros, the only pro is not pressing F4 once your pet dies. If they add it…fine, since it would be optional to use, but i rather they spend these 3-5 hours fixing real issues with the game rather than creating something that won’t make rangers better.

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

The whole pet mechanic in this game promotes being lazy though. Otherwise you wouldn’t be swapping between 2 pets like we do. Pets are an afterthought for this class.

in Ranger

tlenex.7901

Making ranger worse? The worst are those who completely ignore their pet, no matter if its dead or alive. By giving this option enabled they will see their pets in single combat 2x longer.

3-5 hours isn’t enough for fixing pet’s combat abilities or making other advanced balance changes, cos’ they are much more harder to solve than simple:
“if (pet = dead && cooldown = ready) swap_pet();”
and mistake can cause a lot of flaming in the community – just like latest SB animation “fix”.

@Atherakhia.4086 Sad, but true.

(edited by tlenex.7901)

in Ranger

Sleepy.2647

By auto swaping your pet you are ignoring it even more, since you could swap it on the worst time possible after all, for example…when a mob is casting an huge AoE damage which nearly or completely kills your pet as you swap it, or wasting a quickness that might save a downed team member…or wasting a pet swap when you are downed since the pet would revive once you get back or by using downed #3 skill. These are just a few examples.

Claiming that they will see pets in combat 2x longer by having auto swap is a complete joke, I don’t know where you get those statements from. If you were talking about auto-swap when the pet reaches X% HP then that might become somewhat close to being true.

(edited by Sleepy.2647)

in Ranger

tlenex.7901

Claiming that they will see pets in combat 2x longer by having auto swap is a complete joke, I don’t know where you get those statements from. If you were talking about auto-swap when the pet reaches X% HP then that might become somewhat close to being true.

That’s simple, take a simple newbie who dosn’t even know how to or don’t want to swap pets and realize how valuable it is, without this option he will get no advantage of he’s second pet unless he figures it out by himself. Game is already forcing them to use pet, so why not to do it as effectively as possible.

About the X% HP auto-swap, can be, it will be even better if ANet devs agrees – without their notice this topic is just worthless like most of them on this forum.

(edited by tlenex.7901)

in Ranger

Posted by: Paken Kai.5970

Paken Kai.5970

• Please note that I’m using the word “you” in this post in the most general sense, it’s not directed at you personally.

I do use pets swap them before they die, sometimes after they die in 1-2 hit, use their skills and change them to fit current situation and I’m a programmer. Making of this switch shouldn’t have take more than 3-5 hours, while most of the time will take creating an UI button.

I’m also a programmer, and I know how to prioritize my work. Adding this feature would not be difficult, but it would be a waste of time that could be used on more important work.

It doesn’t hurt: it doesn’t make Ranger OP, it doesn’t interfere with GW2 balance. It just helps getting our pets back to life ASAP. It’s just one of ideas I’d like to see in the game, if don’t like it fine I won’t blame you.

It doesn’t hurt, no, but it also doesn’t help in any meaningful way. You can already get your pet up ASAP by hitting one button, adding an auto-cast on that button just makes the pet even more of a “fire and forget” to players who can’t be arsed to use the class the way it was intended.

But if you want to talk about ranger balance and it’s pet improvements, instead create your own topic.

I’m not trying to talk about ranger balance or pet improvements, I was just using that as an example of where priorities should be at this point in the game’s life. Since you’re a programmer, you should know; you fix the bugs THEN you add new features, then you fix the bugs in the new features. Otherwise you just get a backlog of bugs that should have been fixed months ago.

I’m not the one to explain that ability of your pet being alive is much more important than making it auto-use it’s skill – pet is half of your dps and assistance of your weak armor.

Of course it’s more important that the pet be alive than autocasting its attack, but having an autocast on any class mechanic just seems lazy to me. It’s one click you are removing from a battle. One click isn’t going to cost you the fight, unless you ‘forget’ that the mechanic is there and you lose 25-30% of your arsenal.

You may be pro gamer and even making 100% dps with pet only, but not everyone is like that. GW2 is the only MMO where new players can play and use their class at full potential from the very beginning…

I never claimed to be pro at the class, the whole premise behind gameplay in GW2 (and GW1, but that’s besides the point) is that they are already easy to pick up and start playing, but more complicated to master. Like characters with different fighting styles in fighting games. That’s the whole joy of having a class system.

… whats why I came up with auto-swap idea to be even more user-friendly.

The interface is already user-friendly, especially because you can remap the F1-4 keys to something even more simple (like Shift+1-4, for example).

Mesmer creates it’s illusions automatically by auto-attack, necro can put auto-use on utility skill, why don’t make this improvement to our beloved rangers?

Mesmers create illusions by auto-attack because they are super-fragile, deal next to no damage (except the ones that disappear after their attack animation) and fuel the shatter mechanic.

Necromancers can put auto-use on their utility skills because they’re utility skills, not a mechanic the class is built around. As a ranger, you can put auto-use on a spirit utility, that’s basically the same thing.

As much as I don’t want to use this saying, this feature is by definition a ‘learn to play’ problem. If you don’t want to play the class to its fullest, nobody’s making you. But there’s no reason to have a feature to play the class for you.

• I’m not trying to argue with you, despite how I phrased some of those responses. I’m just trying to show my point of view on the subject as best as I can.
Paken Kai – Ranger
Raven’s Talon [RT]
Henge of Denravi

in Ranger

Posted by: zergdaeva.7185

zergdaeva.7185

In some situations, like during the Giganticus fight in Arah, I want to switch my pets at my own leisure. During that fight I use 2 bears. I don’t use them to attack, they just stay passive near me. Their only purpose during that fight is to res fallen allies with SnR. If one bear dies, i don’t want to swap to the next until i want to use SnR. That way he has full health.