Sword Auto-Attack-Root working as intended?

in Ranger

Posted by: Odd Magnet.3970

Odd Magnet.3970

I know it’s often mentioned as a bug, iirc even since the start of GW2.
But has any dev every said a single word about it?
I can’t recall a dev admitting that there would be a bug.
And after such a long time where an auto-attack bug is ignored, I really wonder if it maybe is just “working as intended”
I mean, it’s AUTO-ATTACK, bug fixing should’ve the highest possible priority for that.

Also, is there any other class with a bug in it’s auto-attack? I don’t think so

I love the damage and animations, but it’s really hard to dodge, especially for newer players.
This is how I imagine new Rangers with Sword:
- “thats a cool weapon with cool animation and good damage, nice”
- “Oh, my enemy is charging his attack, better dodge”
- “Double-Tap / V”
- “Nothing happens, WTF”
- “Smashing the Keybord”
- “Dead”
- “This Weapon is crap, I’ll just stay at range with my longbow and never worry about dodging again”

(over dramatizing, I know)

I don’t attract, I don’t repel. That’s kinda odd

in Ranger

Posted by: Tsohg.1798

Tsohg.1798

I know it’s often mentioned as a bug, iirc even since the start of GW2.
But has any dev every said a single word about it?
I can’t recall a dev admitting that there would be a bug.
And after such a long time where an auto-attack bug is ignored, I really wonder if it maybe is just “working as intended”
I mean, it’s AUTO-ATTACK, bug fixing should’ve the highest possible priority for that.

Also, is there any other class with a bug in it’s auto-attack? I don’t think so

I love the damage and animations, but it’s really hard to dodge, especially for newer players.
This is how I imagine new Rangers with Sword:
- “thats a cool weapon with cool animation and good damage, nice”
- “Oh, my enemy is charging his attack, better dodge”
- “Double-Tap / V”
- “Nothing happens, WTF”
- “Smashing the Keybord”
- “Dead”
- “This Weapon is crap, I’ll just stay at range with my longbow and never worry about dodging again”

(over dramatizing, I know)

Nope, exactly what happened to me, so instead of using the more versatile sword, I just use GS.

See that hill? Thats where i’ll be, raining hell upon you.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarision.6347

Sarision.6347

It’s a high risk, high reward weapon. If you can’t handle it, then stick with GS.

in Ranger

Odd Magnet.3970

It’s a high risk, high reward weapon. If you can’t handle it, then stick with GS.

so you want to say “if rangers want to deal damage their ability to dodge has to be cripple”?

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

Please god make this question go away…

in Ranger

Tsohg.1798

‘snot that I can’t handle it, its that I can’t be arsed. I can think of much better ways to get carpel tunnel then smashing my one key because Anet doesn’t want to fix the sword.

in Ranger

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

I made a video specifically to address complaints like this.

Just… watch it.

in Ranger

Posted by: JorneMormel.9850

JorneMormel.9850

The part I see is on the first try, you actually just finished the attack animation. (And damage pops up…) after which you dodge. The second time you swap your weapon to cancel the auto-attack.

Mind you weapon swapping is not always available or something you should want when you need to dodge a big hit.

As for the last part; any Ranger should know how to micro-manage their pet by now.

Also this:

I can think of much better ways to get carpel tunnel than smashing my one key because Anet doesn’t want to fix the sword.

The best way to make sure you’re able to dodge when needed is to disable the auto-attack.

Although I must confess, using the auto-attack manually while actively target switching can be amazing, but this takes much practise. It’s interesting to use for that reason, but I can’t see myself bothered to stick to the sword exclusively because I’d mess up my hand. And I need that hand to play bass so I can inspire my server to kick kitten (or mute my microphone in TS.)

Working as intended? I don’t know.
But it’s possible to “work around” the weapon’s limitations. Which is possibly why a lot of people complain they don’t want the weapon ‘fixed’. ‘Fraid it’d dumb the weapon down or something.

I for one care more about my health than about a higher skill ceiling for the Ranger.

Mysterious Old Geek
Co-founder of Flying Pink Unicorns [PWNY], Ring of Fire

(edited by JorneMormel.9850)

in Ranger

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

How many times do we have to answer this? Yes, in a sense yes it’s working as intended. Sword auto chain includes 2 short leaps, all leap skills lock you in animation. Can you dodge in Swoop? RTL? Is it bad design? Possibly, but then what isn’t to Rangers.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

in Ranger

Posted by: JorneMormel.9850

JorneMormel.9850

Well until the question has actually been answered I suppose. Let me remind you;

Did the developers confirm if it’s working as intended?

Until they do the question will remain because it’s uncertain if it should be adressed or not. And since so many people question if it actually is working as intended, it is obvious that a lot of people are discontent with the weapon in its’ current state.

Mysterious Old Geek
Co-founder of Flying Pink Unicorns [PWNY], Ring of Fire

(edited by JorneMormel.9850)

in Ranger

Posted by: Grayback.7148

Grayback.7148

Well until the question has actually been answered I suppose. Let me remind you;

Did the developers confirm if it’s working as intended?

Until they do the question will remain because it’s uncertain if it should be adressed or not. And since so many people question if it actually is working as intended, it is obvious that a lot of people are discontent with the weapon in its’ current state.

Well, this may be true, but I can’t wait for the day when Anet will “adress” it and “fix” it…

hint: SB – “fix”

e: By the way, I also use the weapon-evades to dodge, running sword/dagger most of the time. So I’m using sword #2, #3, dagger #4, if everything is on CD (which won’t happen so fast with martial mastery) I’ll switch weapons, works very well with steady focus.

(edited by Grayback.7148)

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

The weapon gives you damage and evade. Being able to dodge with this weapon would be too much evasion (which you can if you master it). They have already said it’s working as intended. You guys are still complaining about.

You can say you haven’t seen the post. But even if you did you would demand the reasoning behind it. And honestly they don’t have to give you they why’s.

They are kitten if they do and kitten if they don’t.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

I don’t particularly care what the original intention was. If the majority of folks find it more frustrating than fun, then back to the drawing board it goes. It is a game afterall.

in Ranger

Odd Magnet.3970

@Serraphim:
could you link it for me if you still have the link?

Other question:
Why don’t get thieves rooted with d/d? Their Initiative allows for way more dodges than.
Or with SB, also more dodges than ranger.

For me, I prefer to just dodge instead of a dodge-attack-mix. Dodging gives you way more control.

Skill2: Not helpful against big aoes (only if timed perfectly and the damage duration is short enough), also it often overshoots so you get hit anyways. And many enemies have no problems with turning while the hit.

Skill3: Fast evade? nope, you need to wait a bit. Don’t want to get into fire or of a plattform? Can’t use it here either

in Ranger

Tsohg.1798

The weapon gives you damage and evade. Being able to dodge with this weapon would be too much evasion (which you can if you master it). They have already said it’s working as intended. You guys are still complaining about.

You can say you haven’t seen the post. But even if you did you would demand the reasoning behind it. And honestly they don’t have to give you they why’s.

They are kitten if they do and kitten if they don’t.

This is literally the stupidest thing I have ever read. So either, it’s a dev oversight/bug or Devs broke this weapon because having 2 evades and a leap attacted to a weapon, plus using the mechanic that allows dodging, is too much.

Which one sounds more viable?

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Well when they have said its working as intended the choice is clear. Broken is your perception. Lots of ranger have great success with this weapon.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

it is fine . The fix would probably mean removal of target homing leaps . Then it would be just another boring auto attack , and there are far too many of those in this game

in Ranger

Tsohg.1798

Well when they have said its working as intended the choice is clear. Broken is your perception. Lots of ranger have great success with this weapon.

Link the place where they stated its working as intended. If I believed every person who told me some baseless fact, I would be in a cult, with 45 vacuums and a slap-chop.

in Ranger

Tsohg.1798

it is fine . The fix would probably mean removal of target homing leaps . Then it would be just another boring auto attack , and there are far too many of those in this game

Perspective.

in Ranger

Posted by: hyjaxxx.1584

hyjaxxx.1584

its an easy fix folks, 90% of mice or keyboards have macro functions. so what you do is turn your Auto attack off so you can click one move at a time. then on a macro bound to where you want make a macro that does key up/key down on a repeated loop, add a delay as needed and now you have both.
and this way when you let off the macro key you have immediate control of your character.

Whoajaxx the Ranger
Re-Port331,331R,DD331,Re-portV
Currently looking for wvw guild@henge

in Ranger

Posted by: Killsmith.8169

Killsmith.8169

I bet they could make an animation where the ranger stabs the sword into the ground mid leap to change direction and do a dodge roll. Once there’s an animation for it they should be able to change the mechanics side of it to allow dodges.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

its an easy fix folks, 90% of mice or keyboards have macro functions. so what you do is turn your Auto attack off so you can click one move at a time. then on a macro bound to where you want make a macro that does key up/key down on a repeated loop, add a delay as needed and now you have both.
and this way when you let off the macro key you have immediate control of your character.

90% of gamer peripherals. Not 90% of computer peripherals.

Not every one has money for a macro keyboard or mouse and its bad design to make it so they are needed just to be baseline optimal.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

hyjaxxx.1584

I saw your post and i was just looking, you can get a keyboard that has basic macro capability for 29-35 bucks. im not saying that Anet shouldnt fix the issue..but until then this is a perfectly viable method.

as a side note, if a person cant afford 30 dollars for a keyboard they should be focusing on making better life choices, not playing guild wars. (a discussion for another time i ’spose)

Whoajaxx the Ranger

in Ranger

Tsohg.1798

I saw your post and i was just looking, you can get a keyboard that has basic macro capability for 29-35 bucks. im not saying that Anet shouldnt fix the issue..but until then this is a perfectly viable method.

as a side note, if a person cant afford 30 dollars for a keyboard they should be focusing on making better life choices, not playing guild wars. (a discussion for another time i ’spose)

If you don’t understand what a budget is, then you need to make better life choices.

I have a Razer Anansi and a Razer Naga Epic. Took me a year of planning. Putting pennies away, being smart, because I don’t want my rent to bite me in the kitten . I want a large buffer in my bank account in case real life decides to show it’s hand. I have car insurance to pay, gas, food, a dog to take care of, bills, a girlfriend who requires me to have money. Things break, people get sick. I don’t want to be short if my tire pops, or I break my arm during my day job, (security guard). And when I come home from a long day of work and want to sit at my computer, log in to my Sylvari Ranger, I just want my skills to work. No extra macros or buttons, no work arounds. I want to hit the button and have my auto-attack work like everyone else’s auto-attack. I don’t want to have to work harder to achieve the same thing. So, no it’s not a L2P issue, its just an issue, that would be very nice to see fixed.

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

Please god make this question go away…

lol no kidding.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Roy.7405

Roy.7405

Just want to point out that technically using some of these macros (like a repeated loop) is a bannable offense. Are you likely to be banned for it? Probably not. But its still worth mentioning in case some people reading this think they are 100% acceptable.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Policy-3rd-Party-Programs-Multi-Boxing-Macros

And yes, I think this is a bug.

in Ranger

hyjaxxx.1584

Per the rules the macro i stated is perfectly legal. making a macro to duplicate the auto attack function will not result in a ban. and to tell people otherwise is stupid.

matter of fact if im not mistaken the Naga is supported by guild wars 2.

Whoajaxx the Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

It’s amazing that we can train dogs to stop kittenting on the carpet, but we can’t teach the ranger community to adapt, develop a higher skill set, and stop crying.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

hyjaxxx.1584

i feel ya there jc. I have never once had any issues working the Sword in conjunction with stomps and dodges. While it would be nice to have the technology to dodge during an animation i dont see it being a huge issue with the weapon as a whole. just wait to touch down , then dodge or use an evade during the animation and it will roll right into the evade.

Whoajaxx the Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Tracker.6483

Tracker.6483

Link the place where they stated its working as intended. If I believed every person who told me some baseless fact, I would be in a cult, with 45 vacuums and a slap-chop.

I believe it was in Beta I remember it being addressed. Don’t think we’ll find a post for it now.

in Ranger

Odd Magnet.3970

It’s amazing that we can train dogs to stop kittenting on the carpet, but we can’t teach the ranger community to adapt, develop a higher skill set, and stop crying.

Guess I should adapt to my Car making weird noises instead getting it fixed?
If this is a bug it needs to be fixed period.

in Ranger

Posted by: Marza.1364

Marza.1364

I made a video specifically to address complaints like this.

Just… watch it.

Although this is somewhat a clever way to get around the issue of dodging with a sword this video does not even address the problem area of the sword.

Your first example is dodging by queuing up a skill to prevent the sword auto chain from continuing and then interrupting the skill once it activates with a dodge (which can be done because it is an interruptable skill unlike sword 2 and 3). But you used it at the one time when you actually CAN dodge without a hacky maneuver like this (which is right after Pounce, or sword 3)

I find that the problem is not that we cannot dodge DURING sword 2 and 3 with auto on, it is that we cannot dodge BETWEEN them either. You can of course do as the video shows and queue up a skill between sword 2 and 3 and then dodge. Or you can completely interrupt the animation with weapon switching (although I can’t even take this serious as a tactic unless you already planned on switching).

The reason for being unable to dodge between sword 2 and 3 with auto on is because dodge does not count as a “skill queue”, so its priority will never bypass the sword auto like say Hunter’s Call would. Dodge has no issues interrupting a skill (if possible) but it will never replace a skill in a priority for the queue from what I have noticed. This is why sword auto is so clunky I believe, because there is a period of time where you cant even dodge between attacks (2->3).

I know this thread suggests that we use a macro setup so that we can take the sword off auto but I have found this to be insufficient due to the same problem that I already mentioned above. Skill Queuing. If you are rapidly firing off lets say the 1 key every .125 seconds then you are going to end up queuing up your sword attack to fire off the next skill even if you cancel the macro before your current attack finishes.

As an example:

You begin fighting something and hit your macro to begin to mimic auto attack for you. During the animation for sword 2 you notice you need to dodge and cease the macro firing off your sword key immediately, which should theoretically prevent sword 3 from firing giving you a chance to dodge right? Wrong. The game’s built in skill queue takes over and your rapid firing macro had already told the game to queue sword 3 because of the fact that your rapidly firing macro already sent the key press during sword 2(its continually going off afterall right?). Sword 3 happens and you don’t get a chance to dodge until after it.

Technically you could find the exact time between of each attack and have the macro fire off in certain intervals that match the attack chain but this all falls apart for one reason. Quickness. The exactness of the macro falls to pieces once you gain that boon and your only solution at that point is to either have a seperate macro for quickness (cumbersome) or spam the key (annoying and also makes it incredibly difficult to dodge again).

If there is a macro set up that I am missing that would solve the issues that I outlined above (especially the 1st one) then I would be more than happy to hear about it.

TLDR:
There isn’t really a perfect solution to the sword attack chain even with the help of macros and software and there likely won’t be until ANet gives us the option for dodge to have the same priority as a standard skill (something that can be toggled on and off since I doubt everyone would enjoy this). That or they can change the actual attack itself. Until then we just have to deal with the sword and all its flaws I suppose.

(edited by Marza.1364)

in Ranger

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

The game is centered around fast paced, mobile combat. Having an attack chain that roots you is so clearly not in line with this, that to consider it anything but a bug is… blind, is the kindest term that comes to mind.

Lack of mobility in combat is the largest problem with ranger pets – having this extend to a weapon set is just bad design. Dodging is the ultimate damage mitigation in this game – an attack chain that removes the ability to dodge? Yeah, working as intended… right.

Unfortunately, until it affects the PvP node-capturing gameplay, there will be no fix.

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

If it was a bug it would have been fixed. It isn’t a bug, so it hasn’t been fixed. Unless animations are bugs now.

in Ranger

Tsohg.1798

I believe it was in Beta I remember it being addressed. Don’t think we’ll find a post for it now.

How convenient for your argument then. My statement still stands.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tracker.6483

Tracker.6483

@Tsohg: Not MY arguement. Just waying in on the subject.

@Marza

You make some very good points in your response; specifically about dodge not queing ahead of an ability so you can dodge between the attacks.

I haven’t seen it said in that manner before and I think there is some relevance to your arguement.

ANET won’t fix being able to dodge while leaping, but perhaps making Dodge get queue priority over skill queue would do the trick better and allow dodging inbetween.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I would rather another boring auto attack on the most competitive weapon on the class than having to write the weapon off because of bad design. The only place where the leaps matter is in PvP. The weapon itself is interesting without the leap. The evade from Serpent Strike and the dodge and leap from Hornet String are actually really interesting skills and make the sword interesting without the leap auto attack. The auto attack also applies cripple to the target (helping the pet) and might to the pet.

The sword is actually one of the more complex main hand weapons in the game, this is even before you consider the bad design of positioning and dodging with the root effect. Rangers should be able to maintain melee range on a target without automatically leaping all over the place. Several sources of swiftness, Signet of the Hunt and this weapon gives you a free cripple. The argument could be made that the leap on this auto-attack (which isn’t even a finisher) is needlessly complicating the weapon in PvE and dumbing down the weapon in PvP.

If it was a bug it would have been fixed. It isn’t a bug, so it hasn’t been fixed. Unless animations are bugs now.

Is that a jab at the shortbow DPS nerf or do you really think animations aren’t an issue that need to be fixed?

The sPvP forums has threads about skill queuing and the way that dodges sit in that queue (so a dodge might queue up behind a skill and when you finish that skill you dodge when you no longer need to). This is something that impacts on every class and it was in the game a month ago (it might still be around) so it’s clear that these kinds of bugs or issues can easily exist this far down the round.

It’s easily possible that the ranger sword is just not a priority for them. It’s primarily an issue in PvE and it’s not a secret that sPvP balance dominates the majority of the resources and decisions made when it comes to class balance. This issue is not only specific to a class, it’s specific to a weapon. It could remain a low priority on their things to do list for years at the rate they go. There are plenty of bugs that have been reported that have been around since launch. The balance team moves very slowly and will never get around to everything, that doesn’t dismiss something as a problem.

Finally, even if it is working as intend and the devs have said they have no intentions of changing it, the weapon is fundamentally different from every other weapon in the game and that difference is a controversial one that potentially hinders players using the weapon. Some players love the sword, some players hate the sword. It’s a very divisive weapon and it’s all because of that root effect. That alone justifies players continuing to bring it up as something they don’t like. Continued feedback on this weapon is important because if you’re not happy with it, the devs will only learn that if you tell them. Working as intended does not dismiss people’s concerns.

(edited by Shiren.9532)

in Ranger

Tsohg.1798

Have you read the giant bug sticky on EVERY professions page?

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

I’m saying that leaps are not interrupted by dodges. Use any other leap skill on any other class in the game.

More over, it isn’t necessarily that it is a leap, it’s that the auto attack takes your character airborne. My point was that if it was a bug, why even go through the trouble as a dev of designing it as is so that players go airborne on autoattack when its obvious it will create the issue of being unable to dodge out of it?

That’s why I’m trying to say that it isn’t really a bug, and that the function stays true across the entire game.

Is it a good mechanic? Even if I said yes, I would be in the minority, so its obvious that it isn’t a good mechanic.

But it really is time to stop calling it a bug. What people are requesting is a change in the animation of the sword auto attack to make it more flow more smoothly with the rest of the games content, ie; the updates that the Engineers rifle received to make it function more smoothly in combat.

It isn’t a bug.

in Ranger

Marza.1364

No it is not a bug, and I personally never made that claim in my post. It might be an annoyance, but it is most definitely not a bug. Everything about the skill works how it should within the game in its current state.

in Ranger

Tsohg.1798

If you ever seriously alpha-tested or beta tested a game, you would know a bug is both Dev oversight and broken mechanics.

Technically it’s a bug. The auto attack chain does exactly what it says. It is a dev oversight. And a very large one. I seriously doubt that the devs coded it to purposely deny us dodges. As much as they hate rangers, that just doesn’t make sense to me. So, since the ability is causing an unintended reaction, simply and easily, it’s a bug.
And if they did code it so rangers were the only class with an auto-attack designed to harm them more than hurt…well…then ESO is coming out soon.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

ar very first version of the game “kick” (second auto skill) had a knockback so leap on third was a must to all make sense.
and then devs realized that knockbacking with auto-atack is OP.

so changed knockback to cripple
and that all story about 1hsword auto.

@up technically it isn’t a bug. You can’t dodge while leaping with any skill so why You should be able break leap with dodge on this one?and that third skill are named “leap” and in descritption have “leap to Your foe..” so I don’t understand whats the problem
anyway If You learn how to play with 1h sword autoatack chain isn’t any problem.
(for exapmle 1h ranger sword is only weapon in game which you can be leaping through all zerg there and back hitting nearly everyone in it and being on the other side of the zerg before You’ll render to this enemies You are near now )

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Ranger

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

Who cares if it’s bug or not? If it isn’t, then instead of saying “plz fix” ppl will say “plz change”.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

@Terkov good point

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Ranger

jcbroe.4329

Who cares if it’s bug or not? If it isn’t, then instead of saying “plz fix” ppl will say “plz change”.

Because (I would assume) bugs, due to not being intended functions and potentially harmful or gamebreaking, would be taking priority over mechanic changes.

The differentiation I was trying to make was that bug means “priority” and “fix now its broken.” However, once we say that it is a mechanic, people can start to transitioning from crying to constructive feedback and constructive threads in order to state what exactly they don’t like about it, how it negatively affects their gameplay, and possible fixes.

As far as it goes right now, every mainhand sword thread turns into a cry thread, which just spreads more negativity in an already very negative community.

in Ranger

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

I like that way.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

I find that the problem is not that we cannot dodge DURING sword 2 and 3 with auto on, it is that we cannot dodge BETWEEN them either.

No it’s not. It’s very difficult to dodge between sword auto 2 and 3 (with autoattack on) because the timing window is very short, but I’ve done it before. It’s pointless though because sword auto 3 is the bigger leap, so you end up just jumping right back to where you were before you dodged. (In my case, right back into the AOE circle I was trying to get out of.)

The reason for being unable to dodge between sword 2 and 3 with auto on is because dodge does not count as a “skill queue”, so its priority will never bypass the sword auto like say Hunter’s Call would. Dodge has no issues interrupting a skill (if possible) but it will never replace a skill in a priority for the queue from what I have noticed.

Well that would help, but it’s not the problem.

The problem is the 2nd and 3rd skills in the autoattack chain have what I’m guessing is a substantial after-attack animation delay. If you turn off autoattack and use sword manually on a target one attack at a time, you can see it.

After the first attack, the icon changes to a boot and pulses briefly. If you hit dodge, you will immediately dodge.

After the second attack, the icon changes to a leaping cat and pulses. For nearly 1 sec you cannot dodge. You can still use other skills or even the movement keys (and immediately dodge after using those even though the 1 sec isn’t up). But you can’t go straight into a dodge for about 1 sec after using sword auto 2.

Same thing after the third attack. The icon changes back to a sword, but again for nearly 1 sec you cannot dodge.

@up technically it isn’t a bug. You can’t dodge while leaping with any skill so why You should be able break leap with dodge on this one?

It is not the leap animation. I tested for that. I manually did the #1 and #2 attacks, waited then dodged, then fired the #3 attack. After I finished leaping back, I still could not dodge. There is something going on after the #2 and #3 attacks (not the leaps), I’m guessing an after-attack animation delay, which prevent you from dodging, but not from using other skills or moving.

I would call this as a bona-fide bug for this reason. Allow dodges to interrupt after-cast animations (assuming that’s what they are), and half the “root” problem goes away. (I say half because if they fixed this, the “root” problem would become a “my character just jumps right back to where it was before I dodged” problem. There’s no getting around that unless you turn autoattack off.)

(edited by Solandri.9640)

in Ranger

Marza.1364

I find that the problem is not that we cannot dodge DURING sword 2 and 3 with auto on, it is that we cannot dodge BETWEEN them either.

No it’s not. It’s very difficult to dodge between sword auto 2 and 3 (with autoattack on) because the timing window is very short, but I’ve done it before. It’s pointless though because sword auto 3 is the bigger leap, so you end up just jumping right back to where you were before you dodged. (In my case, right back into the AOE circle I was trying to get out of.)

The reason for being unable to dodge between sword 2 and 3 with auto on is because dodge does not count as a “skill queue”, so its priority will never bypass the sword auto like say Hunter’s Call would. Dodge has no issues interrupting a skill (if possible) but it will never replace a skill in a priority for the queue from what I have noticed.

Well that would help, but it’s not the problem.

The problem is the 2nd and 3rd skills in the autoattack chain have what I’m guessing is a substantial after-attack animation delay. If you turn off autoattack and use sword manually on a target one attack at a time, you can see it.

After the first attack, the icon changes to a boot and pulses briefly. If you hit dodge, you will immediately dodge.

After the second attack, the icon changes to a leaping cat and pulses. For nearly 1 sec you cannot dodge. You can still use other skills or even the movement keys (and immediately dodge after using those even though the 1 sec isn’t up). But you can’t go straight into a dodge for about 1 sec after using sword auto 2.

Same thing after the third attack. The icon changes back to a sword, but again for nearly 1 sec you cannot dodge.

@up technically it isn’t a bug. You can’t dodge while leaping with any skill so why You should be able break leap with dodge on this one?

It is not the leap animation. I tested for that. I manually did the #1 and #2 attacks, waited then dodged, then fired the #3 attack. After I finished leaping back, I still could not dodge. There is something going on after the #2 and #3 attacks (not the leaps), I’m guessing an after-attack animation delay, which prevent you from dodging, but not from using other skills or moving.

I would call this as a bona-fide bug for this reason. Allow dodges to interrupt after-cast animations (assuming that’s what they are), and half the “root” problem goes away. (I say half because if they fixed this, the “root” problem would become a “my character just jumps right back to where it was before I dodged” problem. There’s no getting around that unless you turn autoattack off.)

Ya I see what you mean by sword 2 and 3 locking you from dodging for a period of time after the attack itself. I had some success by moving first after the attack and then performing the dodge but otherwise you just kind of stand there not dodging even if you are not doing anything. I personally think sword 2 suffers more from this than sword 3 from what I have noticed.

Having said all this I still have been very unsuccessful with pulling off a dodge between sword 2 and 3 with auto on. The only way I have had any sort of success if by the ways I mentioned above.

in Ranger

Tsohg.1798

As far as it goes right now, every mainhand sword thread turns into a cry thread, which just spreads more negativity in an already very negative community.

Ironic, you pin the blame on the so called “criers”. Better chance of it being the L2P elitists that provide no proof or argument other than “it’s in the game” or “I like it this way.” Then when we talk about what we don’t like, we’re noobs or criers, and we need to L2P. Instead of trying to fix issues with our class, and believe it or not, an auto-attack bug that literally doesn’t allow us to move away from our target unless we want carpal tunnel syndrome is an issue, you want to leave it in, because it makes you think your better, that your kitten is bigger than everyone elses. “LOOK AT ME! I DO THIS, YOU DON’T. I’M BETTER THAN YOU!” And you wonder why the community is bad.

in Ranger

Posted by: bitterjo.1695

bitterjo.1695

Inconsistencies. On my War, I can dodge mid HB, and dodge while doing offhand axe whirl. Why not on Ranger’s offhand axe whirl? Yes, I dodged without problems while using sword ONLY if I unbound the auto-attack. Why should we have to compromise for one weapon?

Dodging should overwrite any skill. Period.