Sword/Axe overlooked?

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryoki Hokishami.2756

Ryoki Hokishami.2756

I’ve read several “what set do you use” topics and never once have I heard this combo mentioned, but it’s like everything wrapped up in a bundle. Whirling Defense adds both great additional survivability, and with the swords general “chaser” feel, you’re guaranteed to hit with WD. Path of scars just makes for a great initial hit.

Anyone else use this combo?

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

Posted by: Shilian.5873

Shilian.5873

i am trying LB SW/WH with majority of trait to increase the pet bonus damage/utility and my survivability, it doesn’t work…it should but it doesn’t because pet is dumb.
i will try your weapon combo, what about traits?

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

Posted by: Shilian.5873

Shilian.5873

btw that’s the build, i should say it is very effective considering how pet is bugged and sword root u in places, as pet i use the dog and a spider because of the immobilize, it is really our only chance for the pet to attack.

http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simulator.php#1.6.3.9.21.0.0.0.0.0.131.140.141.300.152.3.3.28.381.379.386.391.396.0.0.0.0.422.430.0.0.0.0.30.20.0.20.0

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

Posted by: Tommytoons.2481

Tommytoons.2481

I use sword/axe as main spec. Even though I keep falling off cliffs… LOL

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

Posted by: nldixon.8514

nldixon.8514

One of the best things about the axe off-hand is that it doesn’t just block projectiles, it actually reflects them.

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

Posted by: RummyTheMad.7290

RummyTheMad.7290

I used S/A for about 10 levels or so somewhere around level 30. It’s a great combo. The only reason I shy away is that I like to be able to dodge, and MH sword makes that tougher than it should be. But, yeah…OH axe is a great compliment to the sword.

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

Posted by: Falchoin.6152

Falchoin.6152

Maybe if I could move while using Whirling Defense I’d give the offhand axe another look. Until then, I’ll stick with sword/torch. Bonfire (especially with the 20% cooldown redux + range trait) is just too awesome.

Though I run a weird build that’s relatively even on stats, except crit and crit damage. Your mileage may vary.

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

Posted by: Sleepy.2647

Sleepy.2647

The problem is WD doesn’t hit many targets and doesn’t do good damage (except if you reflect, then yes). Axe is a great offhand, but cooldown on WD is high and it’s also very situational.

I’ve used it sometimes in dungeons for fun tho, for example to reflect AC spider’s poison when plenty of them attack you.

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

Whirling Defense hits the same amount of targets as any other AoE, which is five max. I totally agree that the CD is a little high (you can lower it with Off-Hand Training) and it’s definitely situational, but it can be a real life saver.

Used it against a champion golem in Orr last night and took a HUGE chunk of it’s life reflecting it’s chain attack. Was totally awesome.

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

Posted by: Arrys.7145

Arrys.7145

Nope not overlooked. I love offhand axe in round 1 of tpvp matches because the sniper nests are plentiful and it works with either a power build or trap dropper on the node (Keep best and mine 2nd in particular).

Defensive works well with combo fields and damge reflection when under concentrated fire from multiple spawns charachters. And when your hard to get to people like to light you up with projectiles. batter up…

Arrys Shaikin
OoS
A whittling ranger becomes viable by forcing his opponent to whittle

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Until the main attack of the sword doesn’t root me in place, I’ll always be skeptical before taking it. However, I have found that axe+axe is a pretty underestimated combo for PvE.

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I’m a big fan off Sword/Axe combo and it was my main weapon choice while leveling, its just now that I am in high level zones I can’t make room for it because I need Torch and Warhorn to be able to beat things effectively.

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

Posted by: Sdric.8526

Sdric.8526

Lead-hand sword suffers from the bugged chain (blocking dodge).
Off-hand axe suffers from high cooldowns (+horn is much more flexible)

sPvPers against gear-grind.
Ascended Gear-progression disables WvW for us.
Stop it now!

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

The biggest problem with this combo is the sword 1-chain. Also, dagger synergizes with sword better, since Whirling Defense will root you and sword doesn’t have a gap closer to get back in range after they back away from you.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

Posted by: Sdric.8526

Sdric.8526

Turn camera 180°.
Press 2.
Turn again.
Press 2 again.

WIth a little bit practise this is more than enough of a gap-closer.
If you master it it’s insanely good.

Sadly all sword skills are extremely clunky which makes it a pain to use them.

sPvPers against gear-grind.
Ascended Gear-progression disables WvW for us.
Stop it now!

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

Turn camera 180°.
Press 2.
Turn again.
Press 2 again.

WIth a little bit practise this is more than enough of a gap-closer.
If you master it it’s insanely good.

Sadly all sword skills are extremely clunky which makes it a pain to use them.

You can actually hotkey a 180 degree turn in the keyboard setup to make pulling this off a little easier.

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

Posted by: Psychrome.9281

Psychrome.9281

turning off auto attack for sword 1 removes the root that prevents dodge.

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

turning off auto attack for sword 1 removes the root that prevents dodge.

It also completely cuts its DPS down making the weapon useless unless you are using it with Dagger as a defensive set.

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

Posted by: Panther Chameleon.8465

Panther Chameleon.8465

I’ve been using sword dagger and while it is fun and mobile…holy hell the AA is god awful. You literally can’t hit the broad side of a trebuchet with it. Try and attack a gate and just watch how many “misses” show up. And that’s just a kittening wall. Using it against a foe is another story…It can be nice for chasing someone low on hp, but the hit detection is just garbage. I only use it as an evasive tool. Now, if the Sword dagger combo had hit detection and fluidity of the thief D/D it would be a lot more viable.

" I like to let people talk who like to talk. It makes it

Sword/Axe overlooked?

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

Hit detection on static objects (i.e., gates, siege equipment, supplies, etc.) is messed up for almost every weapon on every profession.